PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know this boat?

core attitude
09-29-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm curious how the caddy motor performs?
http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/220/569391/00507599605.jpg
Here's the ad. (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/5/80747925.htm)

victorfb
09-29-2005, 10:08 PM
dont see the add so not sure what caddy motor your talkin about. the boat looks to be a southwind 20' though. if its the 500 caddy id sure like to know myself. those are torque monsters and should do real well in a heavier boat. just like the olds though they have a lower rev limit without alot of mods.

core attitude
09-29-2005, 10:23 PM
dont see the add so not sure what caddy motor your talkin about. the boat looks to be a southwind 20' though. if its the 500 caddy id sure like to know myself. those are torque monsters and should do real well in a heavier boat. just like the olds though they have a lower rev limit without alot of mods.
Sorry about that......I've fixed the link. Here is the ad copy just for info.
1976 KURTIS KRAFT 20', 78 Cadillac 500 big block, new head, only 10 hrs, jet drive rebuilt, Holly 850 cfm, 4 bbl, new canopy, $7000 obo
Pete

victorfb
09-29-2005, 10:37 PM
i know edelbrock makes an aluminum intake for them but not sure of any other performance parts that are available. its a GM block which i believe has the pontiac transmission mounting pattern. like i said they are torque monsters so set up correctly id say it would work real well. put a AA impeller in it to keep the rpms down low. in the big 70-74 eldorados that motor easily smoked the tires in that sled, and would run right up to 120 mph in a heart beat. gotta say thanks to the bishop california sheriff for writing it up at 94mph, 95 and it was wreckless driving and jail time. :eek:

old rigger
09-30-2005, 07:24 AM
Victor,
I'm with you on this one. For years I've had a 500 caddy in the corner of the garage that I wanted to put in a jet. I was going to use that motor on the spectra that I changed to from a jet to a v-drive, the one I sold to riverdave.
They're about 100 lbs lighter than a BBC and now there's a ton of speed equipment for the 500. 20 years ago guys were adapting 460 ford speed stuff to make them go fast. I even found a guy in Texas that makes wet exhaust manifolds for them, but I've still never seen one in a boat. This is the first. I think it'd be a cool set up.
That Kurtis is just a splash of the old Tahiti mini cruiser.
Great story Vic about you in that cad in Bishop. My parents had a 69 eldo, it only had the 472 incher, but it too would fry the tires with no effort. I remember I use to race my buddy in his parents big bad Buick electra. Beat him every time in that cad. we were both about 16 or so. My dad could never understand why the front universal joints in that front wheel drive set up wore out so quickly, and he got pretty good at swaping them out. I think he really knew what I was doing, but never said a thing.

BrendellaJet
09-30-2005, 07:42 AM
lots of speed equipment for them available. Header spacing is the same as the bbc as well, just need to cut the flange off and weld on a new one that is available. Caddy Performance Parts (http://www.cad500parts.com/)

Heatseeker
09-30-2005, 07:56 AM
My high school girlfriend's parents used to have one of them bigass Eldos(mid-late 70's year model, 472 CID). They used to let me drive it all over. The thing would scorch the front hides mercilously! The GF's step-dad was always asking why the tires were so worn.
"Gee sir, I dunno, maybe you need to buy better quality tires or something."
I cruised it home from Sacramento to the bay area one night after a concert. Had the cruise control set at 110 mph. It never missed a beat. Or a gas station!
Those were the days...

Mighty Thor
09-30-2005, 03:06 PM
I am a big caddy nut and I got 10 of em. And yep, a caddy engine will twist the snot out of anything attached to the flywheel. But... Without a goodly amount of machine work the caddy will not live beyond 4000 rpm Good news is that people have been building them for the last decade or so and old caddys are still pretty cheap. Bad news is that the parts are probably more spendy than any other make and still very limited in the number of suppliers. Exhaust is a major problem cause for any application it almost has to be custom made. Still, for building an economic tow vehicle, a big Caddy is a real consideration.
My favorite is still my 69 eldo bought new by my GREAT-Grandpa and passed down through the family. Brought both of my babies home from the hospital in that car and when I need to be in another city in a short time I grab the Caddy keys. Amazing how many cops will stop a rice-rocket for doing 80+ while I can still get by with a dirty look at nearly 90 mph.

olbiezer
09-30-2005, 03:15 PM
it sure is blue!!!!! so bright it hurts my eyes lol

Lake Ape
09-30-2005, 03:24 PM
My business partner has a 69' DeVille that we just put a 500 into (it used to have the 427, the motor befor the 472). The 500 has set of CMD roller rockers and these heads:
http://bulldogperformance.net/images/cadhead_deck.jpg
It spins out to about 5200 before you have to let off.

mexrunner
09-30-2005, 07:44 PM
i built a 472 a couple of years ago still havent put it in anything but my dad has a sanger circle runner we want to put it in. also if it is truly a 1978 motor its not a 500 it would be a 425 same engine family and cant really tell the diffrence if it has an aftermarket intake i've owned 5 cadillacs still have two of them and they both have 500's love the motor makes gobbs of torque. also have 2 factory fuel injected 500s with everything.500s were only made from 1970-1976.
ps old rigger would love to find out who makes the boat manifolds for them.
adam.