PDA

View Full Version : 460 heads

sickboy
10-13-2003, 03:26 PM
I have a set of heads that came off my 71' 460 and they have different casting #'s . One head is DOVE-C and the other is C8VE-E / i'm trying to figure out if i can use these heads or do i have to get another set. I've asked many people but I keep getting mixed anwsers. some say yes and some say no....PLEASE HELP!!!!! :confused:

Craig
10-13-2003, 04:00 PM
Both heads have 75.8 cc combustion chambers, 2.08" intakes, 1.66" exhaust, rail rockers, postive stop studs. I don't see what the harm would be on using them.
Craig

77charger
10-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Both the same like earlier post said just different year of manufacturer.Good heads to start with though.Easily add screw in studs (bbc type,rockers too).Fms guide plates and harderened push rods and you easily have an adjustable vale train.Cost should be near 250 for everything

spectras only
10-13-2003, 06:33 PM
Good heads.Get the 3/8 guide plates [not the 5/16 from the 351-C ]from ford motorsports and 7/16 rocker arm studs from ARP. Replace the stock springs [ they're around 80#] with 130# seatpressure , and a cam of your choice with about 560 lift max.

LakesOnly
10-14-2003, 01:22 PM
sickboy:
I have a set of heads that came off my 71' 460 and they have different casting #'s . One head is DOVE-C and the other is C8VE-E / i'm trying to figure out if i can use these heads or do i have to get another set. Yo Sicko,
The heads you have are essentially the same general configuration but with one major difference. The C8VE probably won't have an exhaust crossover port, whereas the D0VE head does.
Personally, I'd want a matching set, but you can get away with running it (technically...it would run) with, say, a tunnel ram that blocks off the exhaust crossovers in the head by virtue of its design. Still not perfect from an exhaust flow point of view (bank to bank).
And frankly, if I saw such a set-up on your Ford, I'd probably laugh.
LO
[ October 14, 2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]