PDA

View Full Version : Great eBay SCAM

Lake Ape
10-01-2005, 07:32 AM
Found this on eBay.....It's a scam.......Pretty Funny! $5800...
SCAM (http://cgi.ebay.com/2002-Mastercraft-X-2-Ski-and-Wakeboard-Boat_W0QQitemZ7186482696QQcategoryZ23808QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem)

IMPATIENT 1
10-01-2005, 07:45 AM
bancrupt,divorcing, or something like that maybe :confused:

core attitude
10-01-2005, 07:47 AM
That should be close to a 40K rig. :hammer2: I hope someone doesn't fall for it but it would be hard to feel for them if they did.
Pete

IMPATIENT 1
10-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Nope, scam. The big tipoff is that you cannot contact him through eBay, because he hijacked somebody's account, but can't access their email. So, he has an alternate email to arrange payment. 1 Day auctions on big ticket items is also a huge red flag. This lets them scam people and hopefully fly under the eBay radar long enough that the auction doesn't get closed. I'm notifying eBay, that auction will be closed today.
oh, i see see what ya mean.i couldn't bring myself to buy a boat without seat time anyway.that'd be like marrying a chick without the test drivin first! :supp:

76ANTHONY
10-01-2005, 07:56 AM
wwwwwoooooooowwwwhooooooooooo, got me a new boat,SCAM, doooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :hammer2: :D :D :D

HocusPocus
10-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Sent an e-mail to him and this is what I got back:
Dear Sir ,
First I will like to tell you that I am in United Kingdom and the boat is in eBay's custody in US the boat will be shipped from there on my expence .
The boat is like new , in perfect condition . I am selling this boat because the shipping to Europe will cost me to much .I have this boat from my father in law .The Buy it now price is $5,800 . I will sell the boat to the first one that makes a 2,900 $ deposit through eBay .
To be fair with all possible buyers I will sell the boat to the first buyer that will arange the eBay deposit payment . If you are able to make the payment today or tomorrow you will be the next owner of this boat .
Terms,Conditions Shipping and handling:
The shipping address must be provided before sending the deposit payment. The boat will be shipped through JC MOTORS or DAS Shipping Company . The boat will only be sent after receiving the deposit payment. I agreed with eBay to send my boat to its warehouse since I am not in US .
This way, both sides (seller and buyer) are insured by eBay.
Payment:
If you will offer the buy it now price I will suport all the shipping from the warehouse to your address .
For the deposit payment i would like to use eBay as a third party . They will keep your money until you get the boat and will release it to me upon delivery .
Here are my name and address you need for the payment in case you decide to buy the boat :
Raymond Wirth
22 Merton High Street
London SW19 1DN
United Kingdom
The boat is ready for shipment, i just need the payment confirmation from eBay with the transfer's details and the boat will be delivered to your address.
REFUND-After the boat arrives, you have a 7 days period for inspection. If the boat is different than the way i've described it, 100% refund - transfer fees and the boat will be shipped back to the warehouse on my expence. Anyway, i don't think it will be necesary, you'll love this boat from very first moment you'll see it.
Buy with confidence!
I will have pay for an insurance to eBay Square Trade as proof my trustworthiness.
Thanks for the conceded time .
I am looking forward to your reply.
Raymond Wirth
for sure a scam.. but i hope you didn't email him from your main email account...

IMPATIENT 1
10-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Sent an e-mail to him and this is what I got back:
Dear Sir ,
First I will like to tell you that I am in United Kingdom and the boat is in eBay's custody in US the boat will be shipped from there on my expence .
The boat is like new , in perfect condition . I am selling this boat because the shipping to Europe will cost me to much .I have this boat from my father in law .The Buy it now price is $5,800 . I will sell the boat to the first one that makes a 2,900 $ deposit through eBay .
To be fair with all possible buyers I will sell the boat to the first buyer that will arange the eBay deposit payment . If you are able to make the payment today or tomorrow you will be the next owner of this boat .
Terms,Conditions Shipping and handling:
The shipping address must be provided before sending the deposit payment. The boat will be shipped through JC MOTORS or DAS Shipping Company . The boat will only be sent after receiving the deposit payment. I agreed with eBay to send my boat to its warehouse since I am not in US .
This way, both sides (seller and buyer) are insured by eBay.
Payment:
If you will offer the buy it now price I will suport all the shipping from the warehouse to your address .
For the deposit payment i would like to use eBay as a third party . They will keep your money until you get the boat and will release it to me upon delivery .
Here are my name and address you need for the payment in case you decide to buy the boat :
Raymond Wirth
22 Merton High Street
London SW19 1DN
United Kingdom
The boat is ready for shipment, i just need the payment confirmation from eBay with the transfer's details and the boat will be delivered to your address.
REFUND-After the boat arrives, you have a 7 days period for inspection. If the boat is different than the way i've described it, 100% refund - transfer fees and the boat will be shipped back to the warehouse on my expence. Anyway, i don't think it will be necesary, you'll love this boat from very first moment you'll see it.
Buy with confidence!
I will have pay for an insurance to eBay Square Trade as proof my trustworthiness.
Thanks for the conceded time .
I am looking forward to your reply.
Raymond Wirth
this guy is slick,is he trying to stick ebay with alittle insurance fraud scam?

HocusPocus
10-01-2005, 08:01 AM
busted.. looks like ebay caught up with them.
This listing (7186482696) has been removed by eBay or is no longer available. Please make sure that you've entered the item number correctly.
If the item was removed by eBay, please consider this transaction canceled. If anybody contacts you to complete the sale, please ignore the request. Completing the sale outside of eBay may be unsafe and will not be covered by eBay purchase protection programs.

welk2party
10-01-2005, 08:02 AM
auction is closed already... :D

IMPATIENT 1
10-01-2005, 08:04 AM
that puts alittle more trust for me into ebay.at least they pay attention or at least listen to customers.

76ANTHONY
10-01-2005, 08:04 AM
auction is closed already... :D
hahahaha i got a new boat, the ebay warehouse is on the corner of way out there and i dunno, yes, i cant believe i got that bad boy :D

HocusPocus
10-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Wow, I just reported him when this post first appeared. That was fast. When I sold a lot on ebay, I used to help police the golf section. Lots of fraud there too.
i still use ebay.. and i also reported that listing. :) ebay is getting much quicker at closing down the scams. i have also seen these types of scams on smaller ticket items. if you look at the feedback you can see the amount of energy that is put into this thing. they will have multiple ebay accounts and set up auctions just to build up some quick positive feedback. if you do a little digging you can see the usernames that seem to repeat themselves in the various feedback responses.

HocusPocus
10-01-2005, 08:28 AM
In the golf section, the fraud was people buying entire sets of fake clubs (Callaway, TM) in China and then selling them. The stuff looked so real, you could hardly tell the difference. They'd compound the problem by using intentionally blurry pictures. They caught one guy and he went to prison. He was a FedEx pilot that lived in Nashville that flew the US to China route.
wonder what kind of sentence he recieved for that little trick? its nice to know that they manage to catch some of them.

uvindex
10-01-2005, 08:51 AM
O.k.
I sent him this e-mail:
I have an associate that owes me money and he has a cashiers check for $20,000. I will give you $10,000 for your boat as it is still a steal for me, and then you can wire transfer the difference to me. This extra money will make sure you don't lose anymore money on shipping. I can have my associate fedex the cashier's check to eBay Square Trade (I have done this before) and upon reciept, you can give me the details for my shipping company to pickup. I will have the details of the account to wire the difference to included in the fedex package.
Thank you,Should have said you were Prince Ngobo from Nigeria to add some legitimacy to your offer! :p

carreraelite
10-01-2005, 09:04 AM
I got this one the other day........
Hello,
Due to the sudden death of my husband General Abacha the former head of
state of Nigeria in June 1998, I have been thrown into a state of
hopelessness by the present administration.I have lost confidence with
anybody within my country.I got your contacts through personal research,and
had to reach you through this medium. I will give you more details when you
reply. Due to security network placed on my daily affairs I cant visit the
embassy so that is why I have contacted you. My husband deposited
$12.6million dollars with a security firm abroad whose name is witheld for
now till we communicate. I will be happy if you can receive this funds for
safe keeping and I assure you a very good percent of this fund I will
instruct my son to contact you so please feel free to comunicate with my
son. I await your urgent response.
Hajia Mariam.
NOTE: SEND ME YOUR CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER SO THAT MY SON MUSTAPHA CAN CALL
AND DISCUSS WITH YOU VERBALLY REGARDING THIS TRANSACTION SO THAT YOU CAN ASK
ANY QUESTION THAT YOU FEEL LIKE ASKING REGARDING THIS TRANSACTION.

Lake Ape
10-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Don't have to much faith in eBay since this auction was posted on numerous boards and it still took awhile for the listing to get cancelled.
Wakeworld Thread (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/257229.html?1128100586)

78Southwind
10-01-2005, 10:11 AM
:shift: