PDA

View Full Version : Head Gaskets Again

Ian
01-04-2003, 11:27 AM
For the fourth time in a couple months we are putting head gaskets on our motor. Our problem is we can never get the damn thing to seal up with copper gaskets. Everytime we've done it, it runs fine on the trailer hooked up to hose but as soon as we put in the water it starts leaking out of the back of the motor. This time it even seemed to be leaking out of the studs into the head. After much discussion I have convinced my father and partner not to try copper gaskets agian, we are going to try either the Paul Phaff gaskets or the Clay Smith gaskets. We have two o-rings around each cylinder that we would like to continue to use so we are leaning towards the Clay Smith gaskets. What I would like to know is what it is the best way to seal around the studs and what are the rest of you using for head gaskets. Our motor is a blown 468 running on gas, we are also in the process of bolting on injection and turning the blower 30% over so I think stock fel-pros are out of the question

Fiat48
01-04-2003, 03:50 PM
The water will crawl right up the studs and leak. You have to seal the water ports with silicone. I use Ultra blue. You have to silicone all the studs into the block. I have been doing it for years and know your grief. But I have read here there are some new gaskets available..I think Rex Marine had a line on that. I also heard that one of the gasket manufacturers was going to start putting sealing stuff around the water jackets (built right into the gasket). But you still gotta get those studs siliconed.

Rexone
01-04-2003, 07:25 PM
There are new gaskets being made by SCE (copper) that have silicone beads bonded onto the gaskets around all the water ports. Preliminary reports have been excellent. Copper gaskets have historically been a water leakage problem. We don't have the gaskets online yet but if you PM me I will get info on exactly what gasket your application should use. As far as sealing studs, yes it's a must with a Chevy Block. Merlin Blocks have blind holes so water leakage and thread stripping corrosion aren't a problem but Chevy blocks afford no such luxury unfortunately. As suggested Ultra Blue works good. I've used Permatex Avaiation Form a Gaskets (black goo) as well successfully in the past. If I can help in any way, let me know. These gaskets should only be a day or two away if you need them. :)

sgdiv7
01-04-2003, 07:54 PM
I think you better look at the head and block surface if you have been using silicone, sounds like a low spot some where. I used a teflon pipe joint compound like the factory uses on the head studs and rocker studs. Mine has been ok for over two years now in a v drive boat with 10 lbs of boost and 15 lbs of water psi. Run a strait edge on the heads and check them at every angle you can because sometimes they will twist if they were over heated if they are aluminum heads. What kinda water psi are you running?

Sandbar Junkies
01-04-2003, 08:36 PM
the thing I found works best for me is RED LOCTITE on the head studs.