PDA

View Full Version : How to replace fuel pump????

kevnmcd
10-01-2005, 07:09 PM
Does anyone know how hard it is to replace the electric fuel pump on a 96 Suburban? I know you have to drop the fuel tank to get to it...but how hard is that? Any tricks to this job?

Mrs.Impatient1
10-01-2005, 07:20 PM
this is impatient 1 not the mrs.,but anyway there's not much to it,remove the tank shield if yours has one,take the fuel neck hoses loose,support tank with jack,remove straps on tank(either a 15mm or 13mm bolts).let tank down alittle,unplug the fuel pump connector,use a ford fuel line release tool and seperate to fuel lines from the pump,replace pump and reverse the order.should take ya @ 45-50minutes if ya have any wrench time. :hammer2:

Mrs.Impatient1
10-01-2005, 07:30 PM
just pm impatient 1 if you need anymore help on this. Im a GM master tech i can talk you through it.

kevnmcd
10-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. I didn't think there was too much to it. Stopped to pick up my daughter on my way home from work and when I went back out it wouldn't start. I was checking thing out and realized I didn't hear the pump buzzing. Was able to get it going by hitting the bottom of the tank. Probably should replace it just to be safe....after all, it has 150k miles on it! :supp:
I will let you know if I have any questions. Thanks again.

XtrmWakeborder
10-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Deffinately do it yourself man, i've heard it isn't a big job. Last time at the river my pops had one fail in his 97 sub...took 800 to get it done cha ching!!!

kevnmcd
10-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the input. Did it this afternoon. As said above, not too difficult. Most difficult part was the part where I just filled up the other day and had about 35 gallons in the tank! :hammerhea

Kachina26
10-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Not too hard, but if you want it done for you, bring it to me. I am a certified GM tech at a GM dealer in Redlands. I'll give you the HB forum price, or Jay Photoglou can hook you up a little closer to home.

BADASS38CHEVY
10-02-2005, 08:08 PM
dont use a aftermarket fuel pump.

kevnmcd
10-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Not too hard, but if you want it done for you, bring it to me. I am a certified GM tech at a GM dealer in Redlands. I'll give you the HB forum price, or Jay Photoglou can hook you up a little closer to home.
Already did it. Thanks.

kevnmcd
10-02-2005, 09:10 PM
dont use a aftermarket fuel pump.
Nope....got it from the dealer.

fourspeednup
10-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the input. Did it this afternoon. As said above, not too difficult. Most difficult part was the part where I just filled up the other day and had about 35 gallons in the tank! :hammerhea
Why does that always seem to happen? :hammerhea

kevnmcd
10-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Why does that always seem to happen? :hammerhea
Glad I am not the only one with all the luck. :rollside:

Sleek-Jet
10-05-2005, 11:29 AM
You'll have to drop the tank. Try to get as much fuel out of it as possible before you do it.
I changed mine in my 93 Blazer in about 4 hours in the driveway, that included beer breaks. :D
I guess I should have read the entire thread first... :notam: :D

kevnmcd
10-06-2005, 09:56 AM
You'll have to drop the tank. Try to get as much fuel out of it as possible before you do it.
I changed mine in my 93 Blazer in about 4 hours in the driveway, that included beer breaks. :D
I guess I should have read the entire thread first... :notam: :D
Yes, you should have! :D Thanks for the info anyway. BTW....it only took me about 2 hours including beer breaks. :rolleyes: