PDA

View Full Version : filling block?sonic checked too thin

Cs19
03-08-2003, 08:34 AM
i had my bbc tall deck block sonic checked recently and it checked out too thin in a few spots.The block is 70 over so im not that suprised.My engine builder said i should either find a new block or we can fill the block up about half way with hard block(i think thats what its called)what concerns me is the cooling of the lower half or the filled part of the motor especially since i plan on doing lots of cruising/racing on the river .Ive been told not to worry since these motors run so cool any way. Anyone have any advise or experience? thanks cs19

MikeF
03-08-2003, 11:43 AM
When you fill the block w/ hard block then you have no way to drain the block of water unless you drill and tap another hole above the hard block on the side of the block :rolleyes: . If it is a race or river boat you still want to be able to drain the block of sand and water as the block will rust and aluminum will corrode away. No protection because of not using coolant (green stuff). As far as the cooling, It would probably be fine. The lower half of the block is more for cooling the oil as it drains back into the pan.
It is mainly only for race applications.

Craig
03-08-2003, 11:46 AM
This will give you a good look at what won't be cooled by water. http://www.hardblok.com/info_r07_c06.jpg

mister460
03-10-2003, 07:24 PM
Well, you could do it and be okay. Just remember that using block filler for thin spots is like putting a bandaid on it. I suggest you find a new block and be sure that it's good. As for cooling, you shouldn't have much of a problem if you use an oil cooler. Most of the heat in an engine is in the top end.

Cs19
03-11-2003, 08:45 PM
ya i feel the same way. Im looking into a standard bore tall deck that a guy is selling here on hot boat or maybe splurge and get a new dart block...see ya cs19