PDA

View Full Version : Driveline Question

Cs19
10-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Has anybody ever ran one of those adjustable / telescoping drivelines on a jetboat?
Im setting up my rail kit so I can try different engine placements at the track.A driveline thats adjustable would sure make my life alot easier at this point, Im running about 800 hp.
Any input would be appreciated.
CS

bottom feeder
10-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Cs.
I have ran splined driveshaft to permit the moving of the motor for and aft to ballance the boat. The rails were sloted so you could place the motor any ware. worked Great. Also used a spline disconect for warm up and tuning.

Cs19
10-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Your talking about the sliding or telescoping type of driveline, correct? Not a lenco.Also, what kind of power did you put to it? Were there any drawbacks?
Thanks for the reply BF.

steelcomp
10-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Chris,
I don't think there's any problem with the power you have if you want to run a typical splined driveshaft coupler, like in a truck. My buddy runs one in the Mandella I've posted pics of...never any issues. Of courst, that all depends on how much movement you're talking about. More than a couple of inches, and it might be too much, but the spline has about 4" of engagement, if I remember correctly, and you could probably get away with as little as 2". I think I'd want to make a one piece shaft once you got it figured out.

Cs19
10-03-2005, 07:00 PM
That was one of my concerns Scott, when I have it extended out Im worried there wont be enough engagement. Im looking to get 6" of travel out of the driveline.
Yes, I would have a new driveline made after I get the position figured out. Im getting tired of getting new drivelines made for this thing, and to do what I want to do next race, Id have to get 2 new ones made.

bottom feeder
10-03-2005, 07:03 PM
CS,
I had them built at the local driveline shop. As Steelcomp posted they were for a truck application. I could move the motor about Two inches. I have three driveshaft lengths and gave me about six to seven inches of movement. The disconect the drive shaft shop used was for a big truck PTO I belive or maby a device for flat towing a truck. I have seen these drivshafts take over 1100 HP.

steelcomp
10-03-2005, 07:34 PM
That was one of my concerns Scott, when I have it extended out Im worried there wont be enough engagement. Im looking to get 6" of travel out of the driveline.
Yes, I would have a new driveline made after I get the position figured out. Im getting tired of getting new drivelines made for this thing, and to do what I want to do next race, Id have to get 2 new ones made.
What lengths are you looking for???

÷קmᮆښ×÷
10-03-2005, 08:55 PM
i think you need one of those special rubber ones

Cs19
10-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Steel, I dont know the lengths off hand.
Im going to talk to our driveline guy tomorrow, Ill let you know what he says.

Wicked Performance Boats
10-04-2005, 04:03 AM
Chris, After you make the splined drive line. Machine a couple of pto spacers that you can add in. Make a 1", 2", with a 3" splined driveshaft, that will give you 6" Budlight

MandDPerformance
10-04-2005, 02:04 PM
Lookie Lu has a splined driveshaft. Never had a problem. I think it speaks for itself.

superdave013
10-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Steel, I dont know the lengths off hand.
Im going to talk to our driveline guy tomorrow, Ill let you know what he says.
What driveline shop do you use? I'm by OC Driveline now.

Cs19
10-04-2005, 05:55 PM
I had 2 more regular shafts made,but I will be using the same end yoke for all 3 shafts.They are balancing all of my drive lines with that one yoke so I wont have to buy 2 more end yokes @ $75 each.I wasnt comfortable with the telescoping drivelines they had over there so I stuck with what I know works. Having a driveline come apart can be catastrophic in a jetboat, so Im not about to chance it.When you have MAJOR horsepower like I have over here, you dont mess around.LOL j/k. :)
Ive just about got the rails,plumbing,wiring,and rope guard all set up so I can try all 3 engine positions at the track in a timely manner.
Sd013, we use powertrain industries in Garbage Grove, they do nice work, but the kids at the counter are freaking clueless.The supervisor knows his chit though.
Budlight, yes Ive seen the PTO spacers, Im looking for a quick change set up, having to pull the PTO isnt a fun one and just takes too long, thanks for your replys though, see you this weekend if everything goes as planned.
Chris

LUVNLIFE
10-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Hey Chris I have one that measures 10 3/4", a driveline, :D If that's fits in with your setup I can bring it in Oct and you can use it. Just let me know.

Cs19
10-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Cale, I'm all dialed in, thanks though. Ill look you up next race.
CS

NELSON#109
10-04-2005, 09:44 PM
hey, dont be scared... i told you i have what u need... its a beefy splined drive line... i wouldnt be afraid to run it.

Cs19
10-04-2005, 09:48 PM
ya well id run it if i had a weak suck motor like yours too.
Id shred that thing first pass.

bp
10-05-2005, 07:24 PM
black headers and ya'd be in the 8's already :D

steelcomp
10-05-2005, 07:41 PM
black headers and ya'd be in the 8's already :D
Black headers rule. :cool:

mj680
10-05-2005, 08:51 PM
I had 2 more regular shafts made,but I will be using the same end yoke for all 3 shafts.They are balancing all of my drive lines with that one yoke so I wont have to buy 2 more end yokes @ $75 each.I wasnt comfortable with the telescoping drivelines they had over there so I stuck with what I know works. Having a driveline come apart can be catastrophic in a jetboat, so Im not about to chance it.When you have MAJOR horsepower like I have over here, you dont mess around.LOL j/k. :)
Ive just about got the rails,plumbing,wiring,and rope guard all set up so I can try all 3 engine positions at the track in a timely manner.
Sd013, we use powertrain industries in Garbage Grove, they do nice work, but the kids at the counter are freaking clueless.The supervisor knows his chit though.
Budlight, yes Ive seen the PTO spacers, Im looking for a quick change set up, having to pull the PTO isnt a fun one and just takes too long, thanks for your replys though, see you this weekend if everything goes as planned.
Chris
What are you using for a driveline cover if you are not running a solid lenco shaft ? You might need different length covers if you have driveshafts with u-.joints. Driveshaft covers are required if running u-joints. :D

Cs19
10-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Black headers suck, you guys paint your headers with BBQ paint or what?
Pitts, Im running a u-joint driveline with no cover, none of us have covers and they pass tech like that at both NJBA and IHBA. We are running the heavy duty spicer stuff, it doesnt break.

Cs19
10-05-2005, 09:44 PM
i think you need one of those special rubber ones
I think you need to get a boat.
I just figured out who you are.

mj680
10-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Black headers suck, you guys paint your headers with BBQ paint or what?
Pitts, Im running a u-joint driveline with no cover, none of us have covers and they pass tech like that at both NJBA and IHBA. We are running the heavy duty spicer stuff, it doesnt break.
Its in the IHBA rulebook.Bracket boats and PLJ.Dont see it in CJ,PGJ,UGJ,BGJ,TAJ.TFJ.It must of been omitted in error.Last year we had a big argument with tech and they agreed it was ok not to have a cover as
long as you ran solid drive line.(lenco) Every thing breaks if you have enough H/P. :D