PDA

View Full Version : Need parts for these Motor Mounts

Mighty Thor
10-03-2005, 05:34 PM
These are the motor mounts that are in My old Hondo, and this is all I got when I got the boat, no motor or any anything else. I have aquired a 455 and need to know what I am missing to get it to work with what is bolted to the stringers. Does anyone recognize this system and if so, do you known where I can get the rest of the parts to bolt an engine to it?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2121Mounts-med.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2121Mount1-med.jpg

slotracer
10-03-2005, 06:59 PM
what you have there is a rail system. you need to get motor plates made. it's going to be tough getting plates for a olds455 unless you know someone that has template's for them. good luck.pat(slotracer) :eat:

Mohavekid
10-03-2005, 07:01 PM
That looks like a rail kit of some type.
You need plates that mount to the front and rear of the motor. The plates on the motor extend to the rails running inside the stringers, and then the little blocks on the rails have a bolt hole which attaches the plates on the motor to the rails.
Check out this site for some pics of similar motor plates to give you an idea of the shape. The plates are usually 5/16 or 3/8 aluminum.
http://www.glenwoodmarine.com/Catalog/MOTOR%20MOUNTS.pdf

slotracer
10-03-2005, 07:09 PM
all the mounts on the pages are for stringer to stringer mounts and not a rail system. there is a guy on banderlog named tim that had some olds plates made up for a couple of hundred dollars in sacramento for his boat. try and get ahold of him for temples.
pat(slotracer) :220v:

Mighty Thor
10-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Is there supposed to be a "rail" that sits in the two aluminum blocks that are shown in the picture or is the thing that is attached to the stringer the rail and the blocks are there to support the ends of a motor plate?
The engine I bought has a front plate and a bellhousing with ears on it and the matching angle brackets that attach to the stringers, but I thought that there might be some way to hook the two systems together.

slotracer
10-03-2005, 07:24 PM
the plates for the rail system are just that plates that extend from side to side over the rails and bolt to the blocks on the rails. makes removing the engine real easy to do. all the race boats have their engines on rail systems.
as for as mating up the two types it would be pretty hard to do. the plates on a stringer system sit way lower than the rail plates seeing how they mount to the stringers. i have changed over 3 boats to the rail system just because the ease of getting the engine out of the boat when i need to work on it.
pat(slotracer) :rollside:

Oldsquirt
10-03-2005, 07:29 PM
....or is the thing that is attached to the stringer the rail and the blocks are there to support the ends of a motor plate?.
Yes. The stuff in the boat looks very homemade. Not the typical mounting blocks and the rails are mounted lower than normal.
....The engine I bought has a front plate and a bellhousing with ears on it and the matching angle brackets that attach to the stringers, but I thought that there might be some way to hook the two systems together.
If the engine came with a workable set of 4-point mounts, either use them by themselves or get a set of "plates" made to work with what's in the boat. I wouldn't bother trying to combine the two.

Mohavekid
10-03-2005, 08:15 PM
all the mounts on the pages are for stringer to stringer mounts and not a rail system. there is a guy on banderlog named tim that had some olds plates made up for a couple of hundred dollars in sacramento for his boat. try and get ahold of him for temples.
pat(slotracer) :220v:
I know the mounts shown in the link are for a stringer to stringer set up. :220v:
I posted the link so he could get an idea of what the plates need to look like if he decides to use the rail setup that he's got. :boxed:

BAE_557
10-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Dick Miller Racing (www.dickmillerracing.com) sells motor plates for Oldsmobiles.

wsuwrhr
10-03-2005, 11:19 PM
It would be cheaper to just buy new blocks and recycle the ones you have, the rails are there, and look good.
So when you get plates made, just get some new mount blocks too.
Brian

wsuwrhr
10-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Wait, it sounds like you already have blocks and motor plates too. Right?
So just unbolt the blocks that are on your rails and try and use the ones you have with the motor plates you have.
Brian