PDA

View Full Version : And for the alloy curious........

Rampager
10-03-2005, 05:34 PM
You may recall I traded in my woody hull for an aluminum one this season. Well I have run it quite a bit and figured I'd give you guys a little info on what the aluminum thing is all about.
Its rather hard to describe getting used to running a boat and not worrying about hitting the bottom, I mean not worrying about it one bit. Now my hull has the QT100 steel on it but the hull itself is still wicked durable. I have run some rivers here in Ontario that I am certain have never been run before, ever, in a boat at speed. Ive jumped logs and hit bottom and kept right on going. You HAVE to try this at least one to understand. Yesterday we ran a river I had run once before and did it with 2 video camera's going. We got some amazing footage and I will try to post links to clips as soon as I have them. I'll try to post some still shotsto give you a little idea of what the other side is like. Trust me whn I say its a huge rush, running in literally inches of water, even moreso when the boat doesn't even hit!
I'll never own a glass/wood jetboat again........
Cheers
ok WHY won't this site ever let me post pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????

Mighty Thor
10-03-2005, 05:40 PM
There is a whole thread on how to post pics but here it is in a nut shell. you have to upload the picks to the web somewhere first. Then, right clik on the picture and copy the web location of the picture. Then when you are typing a message in this forum, at the top of the message box there is an icon that looks like two little mountains, that is the insert picture button. a window will pop up that asks you to type the web address of the picture you want in your message. Just paste the address that you copied. Like this
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2121hondo1-med.JPG

Rampager
10-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Then whats with the whole "manage attachments" thing? why is that even there if it doesn't work?
I'll see what I can do
Cheers

bottom feeder
10-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Rampager,
Need to run that in the Parker 300. Or get someone off Eagle to do so.
And you have a PM

Mighty Thor
10-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I kept seeing that when I started too. I think it is on there so that we can pull our hair out thus making us all more areodynamic, not to menition lighter. :D

canuck1
10-03-2005, 06:36 PM
so how is the new motor working in the tub?

Cole Sanger
10-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Post your video on youtube.com . That way they won't get lost from this site in a week

bottom feeder
10-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Rampager's pics
ware are the crowds??
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/3065river11sm_629.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/3065river8sm_774.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/3065video_016_0001.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/3065video_016_0001b.jpg
Looks like fun to me

bottom feeder
10-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Some from another site
http://www.outlaweagle.com/forum/files/endofthe_road2sm_112.jpg
http://www.outlaweagle.com/forum/files/video_003_112.jpg
Rampager has been having a ton of fun with this boat!!

Rampager
10-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Canuck the new motor is great but I think I have a stuck/bad lifter as there is a funny exhaust noise. Could be a header leak but its so hard to tell when you uncork the tips from the water
Other than that the motor is strong but I think my river runnings have killed my alum impellor cause the pump seems to feel looser than I think it should at high rpm, there isn't as much high rpm punch to accelerate as I thought there should be. Gotta get it out and sharpen it
The run we did yesterday was just great tho. Got some insane video. This one part I ran into a section we didn't run on plane last time, I was in it before I knew where we were, %$#@ you can see me on the video let off and coast a bit as we got close, I must have been thinking "what line did I take thru this last time??" cause I can assure you there wasn't one! lol The boat was all out of shape and I got knocked about 18" out of me seat at one stage as we bumped over some logs. Mentally I got to the stage where I figured we'd been had and would get stuck but I kept steering and the damn boat made it thru! I was shocked, you gotta see the size of the smile on my face imediatly after that(you can from the rollbar cam)
Lots of pissed off salmon fisherman giving me the finger but oh well.....
lol
Cheers

Rampager
10-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Hey thanks bottom feeder
Those are the pics from the first time we did this river
video shows it better but you'll have to wait a bit till I can post the video highlights from yesterday. It was awesome. Something about running the river thru the tree's thats just such a rush. Makes for alot of dead wood to avoid but Im quickly learning you can just drive over it anyway haha

bottom feeder
10-03-2005, 08:11 PM
How about these?
http://www.nzjetboating.com/yabbse/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5454.0;attach=1063 7;image
http://www.nzjetboating.com/yabbse/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5454.0;attach=1063 8;image
I can not beilive the places you have taken this boat allready

bottom feeder
10-03-2005, 08:14 PM
Not a problem. Glad to be of some value. Would love to see some of the other tin canners on here but know some do not like all the drama

Rampager
10-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Haha you will really not believe yesterday then LOL
I know the tunnel isn't really "designed" for this, but it does seem wicked strong and is surprisingly manuverable. The biggest thing Im finding is really watching that it doesn't hook. I run with the trim down a bit in the river to make it plane in shallower water and it also corners better but it will really pull and hook if you don't keep an eye on it. Im sure in the rollbar cam from yesterday you can see my sterring inputs and how often I have to steer "out" of a turn to make sure the boat doesn't spin. Im sure we weren't running much more than 35-50 mph most of the time yesterday but its suuuuch a rush I am addicted to this in a large way.
The river was noticably higher yesterday and we hardly hit bottom at all. Its almost dissapointing LOL
There is definatly an undescribably feeling of running a section thats maaaybe 2-3" deep and not hitting. Its just pure fun, I don't know how else to put it. We really need to figure out how to take pictures of people on the shore to show their expressions too. Im sure most are wondering what the ^%$# kinda boat is THAT!?
lol

bottom feeder
10-03-2005, 08:30 PM
I Hear you on the shallow skinny water. If everyone tried it the rivers would be a traffic jam. The Tunnels do tend to hook with down nozzle. but run like a slotcar with the correct driver input. LOL (Thats my problem drive input) Every one here gripes about jets skis I have more problems with rafters and kyakers :D :D
Buy the way love this pic
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/3065river8sm_774.jpg
Like going through a natural tunnel

Rampager
10-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Yea bottom its really just getting someone to try it once, Its just impossible to conceive one ride not hooking anyone.
That river run will be absolutly beautiful in about a week or so when the colours change. I may try to run it once more if I don't get killed by the salmon fishing guys! lol Check it out on Google earth and you can see the parts that run thru this huge "swamp" area (44 29' 10.89 N 79 53 57.47 W )
We did come around a few corners to mirror smooth water with leaves just floating and I almost felt bad for disturbing them. Just beautiful
One of the rare times I'd assume the boat was whisper quiet, or at least alot less noisy. I doubt I was speeding much on the river at all but when you hear and see the boat everyone assumes I am......

bottom feeder
10-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Every peacful setting gets THUNDER storm every so often.

berk
10-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Rampager's pics
ware are the crowds??
they ran up the bank right before the shutter snapped
and yeah F0rk those leaves!
is that the new motor rampager?

canuck1
10-03-2005, 09:37 PM
You will know when a fisher nazi is really mad .......they will throw their fishing pole at you ;)

Rampager
10-03-2005, 09:38 PM
No thats the old van motor but you'd never know the new motor to see it, It looks exactly the same lol Literally except the plugs in the heads for emissions crap and the rubber frost plugs I don't think there is any external difference between the two long blocks
internally about 200+ HP but... :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
lol

Rampager
10-03-2005, 09:46 PM
We have it on video from yesterday a fishing dork throwing a sizable rock at us as we drove past and let me tell ya that really angered me. I can understand them not being happy about me being there(yea for all of 30 seconds 2 times in one day :rolleyes: ) but what that guy did was not only stupid and dangerous but I'm pretty sure illegal. If that rock had hit me Im sure I would have lost control of the boat or maybe worse. If it had been deeper I probably would have stopped. You can bet when Patrick gets the tapes to me I will be looking really hard to see if I will recognise that guy. He says the guy is clearly shown on both the up and downstream clips.
What a jerk

Aluminum Squirt
10-04-2005, 07:03 AM
Running the shallows is unbelievable. The first couple of times I just idled through, thinking to myself, this can't work, this is going to tear my boat up. After I grabbed my sack and dropped the hammer, it was a breeze. I love taking people for a ride and showing them what going 60MPH through 3" of water feels like. I grew up on California style glass boats and still love them, but nothing will ever replace the shallows for me now. I've got a family boat worth 10 times what my sled is worth and I don't really give a damn about it anymore, all I do is think about my sled and my next run through Shanghai Bend. It's the best of boating with a little road racing and motocross mixed in. By the way, your sled turned out beautifully-Aluminum Squirt

berk
10-04-2005, 07:40 PM
how the heck do you get out when you are stuck like that? the few times i have been that dry i had a real sobering feeling when i tried to push that sucker. ohh i like the C0CKSUCKER RED pump, i think i will paint mine the same color.

Rampager
10-05-2005, 03:07 AM
haha that really bad stuck there was a reeeeeeallly long push. Well thats not true, we only had to push the boat about 2 lengths forward to get back to semi floatable water where we could float it back to planable water which was a few hundred yards downstream, The 2 length push took about 2 hours as we left the 2x4's I intended to bring with me at home(dOH). Basically we were pushing my boat thru a gravel parking lot, sorry a wet gravel parking lot lol (BBF weighs about 1000lbs)
Not too surprisingly my "river kit" I carry in the boat now consists of a 2000lb winch with 150' of cable and 2 2x2 aluminum push bars 7' long haha Im adding a wood hack saw to that as well after these latest adventures
Cheers

Cat Skinner
10-05-2005, 04:17 AM
Have you seen the chainsaw powered winches? Pricey but cheaper than a tow truck.
CS