PDA

View Full Version : another 6.0 ford question

riverroyal
10-03-2005, 07:50 PM
whats a good upgrade for towing?programmer?exhaust?intake?,,anyone have a new 6.0 that has done anything?

WetWillie
10-03-2005, 08:12 PM
fix that ford (http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/) ;)

Dawn Patrol
10-03-2005, 08:13 PM
For all of your Ford (http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/) questions, Mods and needs.

Riverkid
10-03-2005, 08:41 PM
I've got the Edge Juice/Attitude, catback and an AFE intake on my '05 6.0. Pulled the boat back and forth to the Schiada Regatta this weekend and my wife even made a comment to the effect of "you don't even feel the boat back there, do you?"...
I tow on Level 2 and drive around town on 3. EGT at most gets around 1000 on Level 2 pulling hills at 65+ with the boat on... Levels 4 & 5 just smoke the tires :D . I'm getting around 16 1/2mpg with 8K miles on the truck so far.
I think it helped the driveability, but the trans shift from 3-4 seems a bit weird (both before as well as after). I have mine setup to defuel the motor at shift points to make it a bit easier on the trans...
I like it. You can come drive mine sometime if you like... ;)

riverroyal
10-04-2005, 10:04 AM
can i ask the grand total $$$ on that stuff,pm me is you want.We towed our 37ft fifth wheel home yesterday from havasu,it was working harder than i would like,head wind all the way home.Also would just the programmer help or do i need the exhaust stuff?

Riverkid
10-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Check your PM's... :)

Magic34
10-04-2005, 10:02 PM
can i ask the grand total $$$ on that stuff,pm me is you want.We towed our 37ft fifth wheel home yesterday from havasu,it was working harder than i would like,head wind all the way home.Also would just the programmer help or do i need the exhaust stuff?
Do exhaust first. You need to keep the exhaust temp down. Figure about $600 or so for a full exhaust system and then get the edge programmer, and that should be around $600 installed.

River918
10-05-2005, 07:45 AM
I modified mine by having Ford finally buy it back under the "Lemon Law"........

riverroyal
10-05-2005, 09:56 AM
theres a option,,,,

riverroyal
10-05-2005, 09:57 AM
intake also?air filter

Woodster
10-06-2005, 03:16 PM
I have a 05 also and was maybe gonna do the Edge juice and monitor also..Just curious though are you guys worried about being denied warranty sevice at all? Elcajon Ford told me they would void any engine -tranny warranty work if they find a programmer on the truck..Is that stuff easy to remover? Thanks

riverroyal
10-06-2005, 06:34 PM
i actually went to ken grody ford here in carlsbad yesterday to talk with them about my truck heating up while towing,I had the shop foreman ride with me while i towed my 5th wheel up some hills.I asked him about programmers and chips,he told me dont do it!He said ford wont warranty anything if they find out ones been used.He said just do exhaust and intake,fords ok with that.So as of today im looking at banks turbo back 4 inch,and banks air intake.Not as much results as the programmer,but it will cool the temps,which is what i think i need for towing> My truck heats up fast while towing,they said it not hot enough to worry about,its documented,so I guess i will just not watch the temp gauge next week going to glamis!

29Genesis
10-06-2005, 06:39 PM
Put on an intake. These trucks need to breath. I removed the exhaust completely. Does very well on towing and normal driving conditions with 39" tires.

Woodster
10-06-2005, 09:27 PM
i actually went to ken grody ford here in carlsbad yesterday to talk with them about my truck heating up while towing,I had the shop foreman ride with me while i towed my 5th wheel up some hills.I asked him about programmers and chips,he told me dont do it!He said ford wont warranty anything if they find out ones been used.He said just do exhaust and intake,fords ok with that.So as of today im looking at banks turbo back 4 inch,and banks air intake.Not as much results as the programmer,but it will cool the temps,which is what i think i need for towing> My truck heats up fast while towing,they said it not hot enough to worry about,its documented,so I guess i will just not watch the temp gauge next week going to glamis!
Thanks Royal.. My truck does the same thing while towing my trailer..They told me not to worry about it either. i may just do the exhaust and call it good. :shift:

WetWillie
10-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Just got my new Auto slider installed and Im ready to go. Should have called a chevy owner.. :cry:

Magic34
10-06-2005, 10:30 PM
intake also?air filter
Sure it would help, but if I was to pick only 2 with the $$ available to me, it would go exhaust first, then programmer, and if some $$ was left over then get the air intake.
Who needs warranty...

victorfb
10-07-2005, 12:10 AM
expensive, but the gear vendors gear splitter may be what your looking for. when towing, the gear splitter will keep the engine at a better rpm range. only downshifting a half a gear instead of a full gear, and up shifting a half a gear. basically turns your 4 speed into an 8 speed, or 5 to 10. the added half gear over drive will give you an increase in mileage while cruising aswell by lowering rpm at higher speeds. plus it takes ALOT of strain off the transmission. warranty safe. as a matter of fact, most dealerships encourage the use as they help the longivity of the transmission. when i can afford one, the F550 will be getting one.

Reaper1
10-07-2005, 06:28 AM
fix that ford (http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/) ;)
When you open up the web site and it says Se Habla Espanol that should tell you something about the brand you own. :rolleyes: Go call On Star Chevy Boy! :p

riverroyal
10-07-2005, 10:36 AM
I just stopped to see my buddy the service writer at my local ford realership,told him what i was doing,he said no problem on the warranties,just no exhaust warranty,makes since.So Banks turbo back and cold air intake :)

TOBTEK
10-07-2005, 10:54 AM
easy...................get a 06 Duramax! :rollside:

River918
10-07-2005, 02:59 PM
easy...................get a 06 Duramax! :rollside:
That's exactly what I did,,,Thanks Jay......The LBZ motor should be awesome..Hopefully I can drop this F250 off at the dealer soon, just ironing out the buyback numbers

Woodster
10-07-2005, 04:05 PM
I've got the Edge Juice/Attitude, catback and an AFE intake on my '05 6.0. Pulled the boat back and forth to the Schiada Regatta this weekend and my wife even made a comment to the effect of "you don't even feel the boat back there, do you?"...
I tow on Level 2 and drive around town on 3. EGT at most gets around 1000 on Level 2 pulling hills at 65+ with the boat on... Levels 4 & 5 just smoke the tires :D . I'm getting around 16 1/2mpg with 8K miles on the truck so far.
I think it helped the driveability, but the trans shift from 3-4 seems a bit weird (both before as well as after). I have mine setup to defuel the motor at shift points to make it a bit easier on the trans...
I like it. You can come drive mine sometime if you like... ;)
I was just talking with my buddies freind who is a Ford tech..He said to do the exhaust but leave it stock otherwise..I guess the Head bolts arent designed to hold the extra boost pressure from a chip or programmer. He also told me that any Ford tech can tell if you have had a programmer on your truck. :confused:

sammtron
10-28-2005, 01:35 PM
got the Edge Juice/Attitude mbrp exhust and k&n filter 2003 f350 i run on 5 all the time 16000lb boat and trailer at 95000 and no problems buy injtors. i get 18 to 20 mpg / towing i get 14mpg egt get high on monster big hills at the top 1300egt. i get better milige tow on 5 then 3 at 70mph 3 get very hot on the big hills i have to slow down.

Riverkid
10-28-2005, 04:44 PM
That's running it hard.

shadow
10-28-2005, 04:59 PM
I was just talking with my buddies freind who is a Ford tech..He said to do the exhaust but leave it stock otherwise..I guess the Head bolts arent designed to hold the extra boost pressure from a chip or programmer. He also told me that any Ford tech can tell if you have had a programmer on your truck. :confused:
Yep. It's not the tech thats not wanting to help you out.Under warranty Ford will recall the old parts back and if they find we repaired a vehicle thats been modified they will deny the payment and the dealership eats the cost.Possibly then passed on to the tech.Easy to tell signs of mods or abuse.

Conquest Deck
10-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Be carful 6.0 have a serious cylinder head gasket problem in stock application.Have a fleet of F450 6.0 and 2005 f250 p/u all have puking issues due to cylinder head lifting.

got boltons?
10-28-2005, 08:10 PM
i have had the same issue. still no fix. they changed out the cluster and flashed the computer with new codes but it still reads hot when towing uphill. ford has told me that its just a programing issue and that it is not overheating. still i want it fixed. i have talked to several people with this unsolved issue. i also have a question about prgrammers... i have a friend with an 05 with a superchip programmer and has had his truck in for this problem as well as others and ford has never denied him, is superchips hard to trace? anybody know?

shadow
10-28-2005, 08:40 PM
i have had the same issue. still no fix. they changed out the cluster and flashed the computer with new codes but it still reads hot when towing uphill. ford has told me that its just a programing issue and that it is not overheating. still i want it fixed. i have talked to several people with this unsolved issue. i also have a question about prgrammers... i have a friend with an 05 with a superchip programmer and has had his truck in for this problem as well as others and ford has never denied him, is superchips hard to trace? anybody know?
Chip is not the cause of the overheating problem.Running hot due to design,egr is cooled via coolant which in turn heats the coolant and allowing coolant to do it's job.
Go to the thread ahhhhh....shiat ........blown head gasket.
Theres a few pics of a 6.0 torn apart.you'll see a pic of the Egr cooler.

riverroyal
10-30-2005, 10:01 AM
banks turbo back exhaust and a volant intake now,it still heats up,Im sure exhaust temps are down,but still heats up.I actually hooked up my 37ft trailer,went to the dealership,a tech jumped in with a PC,plugged it in then we drove around.We found the biggest hill,I floored it.He watched the temp on his PC.I believe 231degrees was as high as it got,but thats 2 minutes from the beach,it was 70 outside.The fan kicks in and it cools fast.The dealership then contacted ford,they sent a memo basically saying its normal.No real fix for it.So my advice to anyoone is get it documented!!!Im worried about 3 years from now,after towing endless miles....hope this helps anyone,,thanks shadow!