PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Harness

Avenger 1975
10-03-2005, 08:07 PM
I need to re-wire the boat completely, will install new gauges at the same time. Is there an off-the-shelf wiring harness that anyone recommends? If I buy a harness does it come with in-line fuses or should I install a fuse block?
Thanks for any help.

RCB19
10-03-2005, 09:03 PM
L&L Marine out of Corona Ca. has them. 951-256-8600.

SmokinLowriderSS
10-04-2005, 02:51 PM
I rewired my Taylor summer of '04. Wire in all the right colors from Lowes (mostly 14 gauge, 12Ga ground circuit looped all the way from left side of engine to the right (through the dash), 10 Ga feeder to ign switch & bat hot fuze block, 8 Ga from the Alt, 2 Ga battery cables). I did it all 1 wire at a time. I put Ign switched circuits on a fuze block under the dash. I put battery hot circuits (including the ign switch) on a fuze block under the hood in the eng. bay. The worst was stringing it past the interior. Will clean it up some this winter as interior is out for a flipover(bottom work).

Blown Spectra
10-04-2005, 03:17 PM
please check your PM's. i have an almost new complete harness.
Eric

gregr1971
10-04-2005, 04:46 PM
i went to a boat salvage yard and got one from a johnson outboard, marine grade wire(i think), it was 5.00, a lot cheaper than buying the individual wires,and they are the right colors, aproxx. 25' long, havent had any probs. yet. just my .02

SmokinLowriderSS
10-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Hmmm I wonder what the dif in "marine" wire is and if it is the same as the diference in making a "marine" engine?

Oldsquirt
10-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Hmmm I wonder what the dif in "marine" wire is and if it is the same as the diference in making a "marine" engine?
There is a difference in true "marine" wire vs generic wire found in auto parts shops. Click this link to get to the products page for the wire supplier used by West Marine. Then click "wire and cable" at the bottom of the list.Ancor Products (http://www.ancorproducts.com/Products/Home.html)

Squirtcha?
10-04-2005, 05:59 PM
I've always heard that the marine wire is tinned to help prevent corrosion. Not sure if it's only the ends, or the entire length of the wire. A buddy of mine bought a "marinized" wire harness, and it's just regular old copper wire. Not even the ends are tinned.
If it's just the ends, a guy could easily do that himself.

Avenger 1975
10-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I have access to some indoor grade wire but I'd prefer a pre-made harness I think. From reading the link Oldsquirt gave for Ancor Products it sounds like the tinned copper, flexible insulation, and UV and fluid resistant insulation are the main differences in marine grade wire.

Squirtcha?
10-04-2005, 09:59 PM
Do me a favor? If you call in an order, ask them if it's just the ends that are tinned, or the whole wire? Obviously the UV and fluid resistant insulation would be a good thng too.
I was also checking their site to see if they sell premade wire harnesses. They might, but I'll be darned if I saw them on the page.
My winter project is to rewire the barge.

DeputyDawg
10-05-2005, 01:13 AM
originally posted by Squirtcha
Do me a favor? If you call in an order, ask them if it's just the ends that are tinned, or the whole wire?
When you by marine grade wire that is tinned the whole wire is tinned, not just the ends. One thing that I would highly recommend to you guys rewiring anything in your boats would be the use of adheasive lined heat shrink tubing whether you solder your connections or use crimp on connectors. Properly used adheasive lined heat shrink tubing not only strengthens connections it also helps seal and weather-proof them. Use them and you will thank yourself later!

Squirtcha?
10-05-2005, 04:52 AM
When you by marine grade wire that is tinned the whole wire is tinned, not just the ends.
O.K. that would be pretty tricky to do at home in your garage or shop.

Avenger 1975
10-05-2005, 06:31 AM
Deputy, I had been using regular crimp connectors with electical tape, not too slick. A guy was helping me chase a trailer wiring problem last week and spliced in a length of ground using the heat shrink crimp connectors. It clearly sealed the splice and looks very neat when done, big improvement.

stashtrey
10-05-2005, 08:14 AM
I bought the 460 Ford wiring harness from cpperformance.com and the thing was really nice. All ready to go out of the box.