PDA

View Full Version : Advice please.

Kevin Heine
10-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Help me out with this:
I have a 84 Chris Craft with a 305 (228 Merc). I've completley redone the boat and have done alot to the motor. I'm not pleased with the way the motor starts. Due to the cam I have if I set the initial at around 16, it fires up the minute you look at the key. But, it has 24 degrees advance and that puts it a 40 total, way to much. I was told to throw away the factory distributor, its a thunderbolt, completely electronic. No mechanical advance at all. I purchased an Accel electronic dist, with a vacuum advance. Not intending to use the vacuum but thats the only way I could get one. However I talked to a "boat mechanic" who told me the accel will not work. The way a marine dist. advances is different and I will have many problems. He said the factory dist. has 50K volts. But, this thing is 20 yrs old. A friend of mine has a 79 Chapparell with the same motor and he installed an accell dual point in his several years ago and he loves it. I was thinking about just buying a MSD Blaster coil, it says its designed for offroad/marine use. What would y'all do. Stay with the origianl or go the accell that will give more "tuning options".

cstraub
10-04-2005, 07:45 AM
For an NA engine under 6500 rpm, you can't beat the stock Merc stuff.

1BIGJIM
10-04-2005, 09:35 AM
There are several different modules you can use to decrease the timing. I would have to look in a book but I am sure there is a 20 degrees total module.
If its 20 years old that says something :smile:

Kevin Heine
10-04-2005, 10:30 AM
I've heard about these modules. I've also heard there pretty pricey. I need to find out at what toltal timing the boat runs the best at then i'll know which module I need. Before I do that I need to replace the cap, rotor, wires, and coil. These thing have to be getting weak. After all I've done to the motor, T/T exhaust, valve job, port matching, new cam and raised to comprssion to about 9.75 to 1. The plugs are still a very nice looking light brown. But, if I have a weak ign. system you'll never see "true" color.

SoggyJet
10-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Another option is to use the HI-6M Crane Marine spark box. This box is designed to replace the Thunderbolt module and has something like six different advance curves programed in that you can select from as well as an adjustable rev limiter. If (when?) I ever get my project on the water that is what I will be using, the Merc dist with the Crane marine box.
Doug McCoy

Kevin Heine
10-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Doug,
I've never heard of em. Where might I find one of these at?

DeputyDawg
10-05-2005, 01:38 AM
You can get one here http://www.rexmar.com/page300.html.

SoggyJet
10-05-2005, 04:02 AM
What he said!! I have seen them available other places, but about the same price as Rex.
Installation Instructions (http://www.cranecams.com/pdf/90006462b.pdf)
Product Info (http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?show=browseParts&lvl=4&prt=65)
Doug

Kevin Heine
10-05-2005, 05:55 AM
Hey Guys,
Thanks thats just what I'm needing. I do like using stock stuff and was not crazy about changing the dist. Mainly because of the "shift interuptor switch". With the cam I have put in this thing, due to cylinder pressure, it likes alot of initial timing.
Thanks again for the help,
Kevin