PDA

View Full Version : Landing on WakeBoard!!

Cole1313
10-04-2005, 07:43 AM
My wife and I just bought a Pro Air Nautique and I am going bigger then I ever have. The problem is that I am landing in the flats and sliding out. I tried to spot the landing and edge away from the boat but I only land say 50% of the time. It is no problem when I land on the other wake, just landing on the flats.
Any help on how to get the board from sliding out would be really great.
Thanks,

Cbrown
10-04-2005, 11:23 AM
It sounds like you are leaving the wake with you weight distributed to much on your back leg. During your edge and while hitting the wake you want you weight distributed almost 50/50. When you do this is allows the board to be mostly flat all the way through the jump and into the landing allowing for a more controlled landing. You are doing the proper thing by edging away but try putting a little more weight on your front foot.

Cbrown
10-04-2005, 11:26 AM
http://www.wakepics.com/img/17275
I tried to attach the picture but it would not load but if you take a look at this it is basically what you should look like before landing.

HM
10-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Assuming you are doing a heel side jump and you are sliding out on your ass.
You are landing off axis and attempting to edge out of it only makes it worse. A great way to feel it out is to try landing just past the wake, instead of all the way out in the flats. And then incrementally move land out further. I think what you will find is that you are leaving the wake off axis (not neccesarily off balance) when try to get the big air. There are quite a few other variables that can cause what is happening, but if you work it out incrementally, you will feel what you are doing wrong and be able to correct it.
The only other thing that would be a big contributor to this, is going really wide prior to launch and edging really hard from the beginning. A couple of things that happen here contribute to launching off axis. Try going out wide, then let the boat recover and then gradually edge at the beggining and increase your edging progressively as you approach the wake. If you have not been doing this, be prepared for the biggest "pop" you have ever experienced.
There is a great instructional video called "Detention" that gives great little details. Watch it from the begginning to end as you will pickup a couple of basic pointers that will help your boarding dramatically. And when you are ready for the next trick, they take you step by step.

Cole1313
10-04-2005, 11:56 AM
It sounds like you are leaving the wake with you weight distributed to much on your back leg. During your edge and while hitting the wake you want you weight distributed almost 50/50. When you do this is allows the board to be mostly flat all the way through the jump and into the landing allowing for a more controlled landing. You are doing the proper thing by edging away but try putting a little more weight on your front foot.
Will do,thanks for the help. I did notice that I was hitting tail first everytime. If I land flat it sounds like it is going to hurt. That is a big surface area to be landing on.
Also, you are saying that I should be 50/50 off the top of the wake. Does this mean adjust it in the air?? or when I hit the topof the wake I should be balanced. I only ask, because if I am holding an edge to the top of the wake, most of my weight is going to be on the back foot so as not to slide.
I think I just need to be out there with some guys or gals that know what they are doing and watch. It is hard when the people you go with are just starting to learn the edges of thier boards.
Thanks again

Cole1313
10-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Assuming you are doing a heel side jump and you are sliding out on your ass.
You are landing off axis and attempting to edge out of it only makes it worse. A great way to feel it out is to try landing just past the wake, instead of all the way out in the flats. And then incrementally move land out further. I think what you will find is that you are leaving the wake off axis (not neccesarily off balance) when try to get the big air. There are quite a few other variables that can cause what is happening, but if you work it out incrementally, you will feel what you are doing wrong and be able to correct it.
The only other thing that would be a big contributor to this, is going really wide prior to launch and edging really hard from the beginning. A couple of things that happen here contribute to launching off axis. Try going out wide, then let the boat recover and then gradually edge at the beggining and increase your edging progressively as you approach the wake. If you have not been doing this, be prepared for the biggest "pop" you have ever experienced.
There is a great instructional video called "Detention" that gives great little details. Watch it from the begginning to end as you will pickup a couple of basic pointers that will help your boarding dramatically. And when you are ready for the next trick, they take you step by step.
Holy, thanks for the advice. I have that video! I am not the guy in the orange vest trying to get big air. I am just trying to learn some tricks. I can do grabs, 180 and 360 variations, but only wake to wake. When I try to go bigger I slide out. I am just pulling a little longer into the wake.

Lake Ape
10-04-2005, 02:44 PM
what's your line length?

Cole1313
10-04-2005, 03:02 PM
what's your line length?
15 off

Lake Ape
10-04-2005, 11:10 PM
If you are clearing your wake by that much you might want to consider moving back some. It just depends if you can make a decent wake that far back. Usually the wake is a lot wider back there and you will land more on the ramp. Do this until you get the landing down then move back up. This is what I did.

Cole1313
10-05-2005, 07:30 AM
If you are clearing your wake by that much you might want to consider moving back some. It just depends if you can make a decent wake that far back. Usually the wake is a lot wider back there and you will land more on the ramp. Do this until you get the landing down then move back up. This is what I did.
Thanks for your help. I will try this next time I am out.

HM
10-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Thanks for your help. I will try this next time I am out.
I am thinking we need to get out on the water for an evaluation. I can't do much these days. I was pulling 360's, tantrums, and ralies for a I while...but that was during my divorce and wakeboarding was my therapy. I actually started a wakeboarding manufacturing company. I started with wake skates, but never made it past the R and D stage. I had 10 proto types and I had messed with center of gravity for doing shove its and kick flips. I got the idea of messing with center of gravity from looking a diagram of a putter (golf club). I got about $10K into the business, and then drank some koolaid and joined a pyramid company.(MLM)
Now I am lucky to pull a toeside wake to wake. And there is no way I can pull a toe side wake to wake on the skate. And I usually am done after a few jumps.

Cole1313
10-10-2005, 10:53 PM
I am thinking we need to get out on the water for an evaluation. I can't do much these days. I was pulling 360's, tantrums, and ralies for a I while...but that was during my divorce and wakeboarding was my therapy. I actually started a wakeboarding manufacturing company. I started with wake skates, but never made it past the R and D stage. I had 10 proto types and I had messed with center of gravity for doing shove its and kick flips. I got the idea of messing with center of gravity from looking a diagram of a putter (golf club). I got about $10K into the business, and then drank some koolaid and joined a pyramid company.(MLM)
Now I am lucky to pull a toeside wake to wake. And there is no way I can pull a toe side wake to wake on the skate. And I usually am done after a few jumps.
ANy time you are ready to go out let me know. We try to get out every Friday on Sagarou s/p.
But just to let you know we bring out our 3 months old twins. We are there to board for three or four runs each. It is kind of like have your vest and gloves on and be ready to go when the person is done. Then I try to get two or three runs in on the ski. We always are in need of a third!! I will let you know about this Friday!!
If we are not out there on Fridays it is because we are out of town, usually at the river.

HM
10-12-2005, 11:39 AM
ANy time you are ready to go out let me know. We try to get out every Friday on Sagarou s/p.
But just to let you know we bring out our 3 months old twins. We are there to board for three or four runs each. It is kind of like have your vest and gloves on and be ready to go when the person is done. Then I try to get two or three runs in on the ski. We always are in need of a third!! I will let you know about this Friday!!
If we are not out there on Fridays it is because we are out of town, usually at the river.
I understand with the chitlens as I have 3 kids myself. BTW - I am in Canyon Lake, CA...not AZ. So, if I happen to be out there! I am in need of a 3rd and even a 2nd at that!