PDA

View Full Version : keeping the shiney stuff shiney

keithmenard
10-04-2005, 08:05 AM
Just curious how you guys in the east keep the shiney stuff shiney. In AZ we had to worry about hard water, but that seems to pail in comparison :)

promod
10-04-2005, 08:12 AM
plenty of elbow grease and sweat!!!!!1

rich seibert
10-04-2005, 08:26 AM
the water at firebird is the worst i have ever seen,what ever it touches will need washed and waxed or polished by the time it dries,
or you got white crust all over
i have not been there since 97,
has it gotten any better?
here in the east just rinse and dry
we do get that light brown scum that floats and sticks to everything

CMZRACING
10-04-2005, 09:43 AM
keep it in the garage!!! :D

DaveA
10-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Just curious how you guys in the east keep the shiney stuff shiney. In AZ we had to worry about hard water, but that seems to pail in comparison :)
Out here, 'shiny' is old school. Corroded aluminum is in right now. Kinda like rat rods...
At least it is on MY boat.
:D :D :D
Sound like I got me some werk to do before Thunder on Lake James!

infotraker
10-05-2005, 06:37 AM
I use Never Dull on alum. and the chrome parts. It works pretty good as long as the parts are not to bad off.

DaveA
10-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Okay, I'll get serious here.
Once polished, you can use Zoopseal on the aluminum. It's expensive compared to polishes etc., a bit aggravating to apply, but lasts for months, even years. It is a chemical resin that's applied with a catalyst to the bare aluminum. Once it sets up, there's a special remover that cleans off the excess resin. The stuff is clear, no residue, no toning or clouding of the surface (like clearcoats do, or even some waxes) and it won't peel off (like clearcoats can, and sometimes do).
We polished and Zoop'd a set of Boyd Coddingtons for a show car guy recently. I don't relish doing it because it's so time consuming (polishing as well as the Zoop install) but the results were worth it (besides, I ain't cheap). The car is a daily driver and the guy is thrilled that all he's had to do is wash the wheels- no polishing every weekend. Once I have the time (hah!) I'll Zoop the parts on the Rayson as I get them polished (again, "hah!").
DaveA