PDA

View Full Version : D.U.I. & O.U.I. Enforcement- ADVICE

Not So Fast
10-04-2005, 09:23 AM
After being on the boards for about a year or so and noticing how many of us say the same thing about drunken behavior this is probably a good thing. We live here and I am privvy to some good info plus just read the paper and you will notice that arrests for DUI & OUI are up considerably. On the water and also at the ramps (as you pick up) so heed the sign. They are clamping down for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chi: NSF

jackpunx
10-04-2005, 09:24 AM
yep.. Dont drink and drive

76ANTHONY
10-04-2005, 09:25 AM
After being on the boards for about a year or so and noticing how many of us say the same thing about drunken behavior this is probably a good thing. We live here and I am privvy to some good info plus just read the paper and you will notice that arrests for DUI & OUI are up considerably. On the water and also at the ramps (as you pick up) so heed the sign. They are clamping down for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chi: NSF
but its so hard to find a designated driver that doesnt drink :D

jackpunx
10-04-2005, 09:30 AM
We got 3 of them in our crew.. and they can acutally drive boats :D

HocusPocus
10-04-2005, 09:33 AM
i don't drink at all.. and would be more then happy to drive :)

riverbound
I know....but luckily for me one of our crew is a non-drinker and knows how to drive a boat

riverbound
We got 3 of them in our crew.. and they can acutally drive boats :D
Who in your crew can drive a boat?? :wink:

76ANTHONY
10-04-2005, 09:36 AM
i don't drink at all.. and would be more then happy to drive :)
why does this sound like trouble to me???? :crossx:

Not So Fast
10-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Read the whole thing please, they are checking the pickup/trailer driver at the ramp so make that two sober drivers, just happened to a close friend Sat. :frown: NSF

76ANTHONY
10-04-2005, 09:39 AM
Read the whole thing please, they are checking the pickup/trailer driver at the ramp so make that two sober drivers, just happened to a close friend Sat. :frown: NSF
that sucks, we dont drink when we are goin out, we drink when we get back and after we park, so im ok until they give out dui's to drunk walkin :D

Havasu_Dreamin
10-04-2005, 09:44 AM
I think it's great they are cracking down.

Not So Fast
10-04-2005, 09:47 AM
I believe the walking thing back to the trailer was the give-away in this case, at least no one was hurt thank God. I'm sure we have all slipped up on an occasion or two (I know I have) but from now on I'll be much more aware of my drinking AND the trailer picker-upper!!!!!!!!!! NSF (never did drink that much)

DUSTINU
10-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the heads up... saw it happen last time I was out. Driving my boat is all the adrenalin I need, but when it's in the garage... LOOK OUT!!!! If we have to, my girlfriend holds the boat at the dock... sucks for everyone waiting to pull out but we don't need any DUI's.

Outnumbered
10-04-2005, 10:03 AM
I got stopped at Lake Mead Marina years ago in the parking lot. DD was driving the boat, girls could not back trailer so I volunteered to go do it. I had about 9 bullets so I was buzzin'. Cop pulled me over in the DDs truck in the parking lot. I explained that we had a DD and that I was just getting the trailer. He was cool and made me go get the DD, checked him out, and told us good job for having the DD but you can't even drive in the parking lot after 9 beers. Let me go with a warning. Worked out to be a good thing because I was always very careful after that close call.

jackpunx
10-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Who in your crew can drive a boat?? :wink:
Bill, Jason and me..
thats on the dont drink at all list..
Danny, Dennis, Zach and a few others take drinking and driving pretty serious and dont do it if they are driving that day..
so .. now we have the RD argument..
would you rather have someone who has has a "few" beers drive that can drive and knows the river?
or someone who is sober and dosnt know where they are going and driving is a little on the challenging side?
hhhhmmm :D

JetBoatRich
10-04-2005, 10:16 AM
I got stopped at Lake Mead Marina years ago in the parking lot. DD was driving the boat, girls could not back trailer so I volunteered to go do it. I had about 9 bullets so I was buzzin'. Cop pulled me over in the DDs truck in the parking lot. I explained that we had a DD and that I was just getting the trailer. He was cool and made me go get the DD, checked him out, and told us good job for having the DD but you can't even drive in the parking lot after 9 beers. Let me go with a warning. Worked out to be a good thing because I was always very careful after that close call.
You had the right person pull you over :eek:

bordsmnj
10-04-2005, 10:32 AM
i gots me a flood light :D (no not a bud light; a flood light)

Stoneman
10-04-2005, 10:34 AM
yep.. Dont drink and drive
Don't even putt. :D

Stoneman
10-04-2005, 10:34 AM
What ramps???

HCS
10-04-2005, 10:38 AM
My wife doesn't drink alcohol any more. So if I drink too much I have an out.
Unless she's not with me. :mix:

riverbound
10-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Bill, Jason and me..
thats on the dont drink at all list..
Danny, Dennis, Zach and a few others take drinking and driving pretty serious and dont do it if they are driving that day..
so .. now we have the RD argument..
would you rather have someone who has has a "few" beers drive that can drive and knows the river?
or someone who is sober and dosnt know where they are going and driving is a little on the challenging side?
hhhhmmm :D
I was kidding about the Drivers. I know you guys have a couple non-drinkers in your crew.
As far as the RD agument....I would rather have someone who has had a "few" and knows the river than someone who is sober and doesnt. I have actually had a DD that wasnt a great driver and didnt know the river almost wreck us, I ended up taking over. I wasnt completely sober, but me intoxciated driving was actually safer than the DD was.

jackpunx
10-04-2005, 10:41 AM
being a non drinker.. I actually aggree with that argument..

Jyruiz
10-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Can you imaging how cool it would be if they caught everybody who drinks and drives out in the lake. I don't think it would be as crowded, and it would be cool to get rid of all the punks.

Not So Fast
10-04-2005, 10:46 AM
What ramps???
This was Windsor and it was HPD. Another note, some people think that they cannot be pulled over or boarded unless they are in violation for something and you are in for a rude surprise if you subscribe to that theory. On the water I believe you may be boarded at any time the LEO (or just about any agency) wants, just to check things out, maybe Boat Cop can verify. :chi: NSF

Stoneman
10-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Can you imaging how cool it would be if they caught everybody who drinks and drives out in the lake.
Half of them would be cops and fireman on their day off.

Boatcop
10-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Another note, some people think that they cannot be pulled over or boarded unless they are in violation for something and you are in for a rude surprise if you subscribe to that theory. On the water I believe you may be boarded at any time the LEO (or just about any agency) wants, just to check things out, maybe Boat Cop can verify. :chi: NSF
The Coast Guard has unlimited authority to stop and check any vessel in US waters at any time, and any US documented or registered vessel at any time and place anywhere in the world. That authority bleeds over to local Marine Enforcement Officers, based on several case law decisions over the years, including one from the Supreme Court.
Now, that's not saying another specific case may be decided a different way.
That being said, I have always told my people to develop probable cause and/or reasonable suspicion before making a stop. There are too many people doing idiotic and unsafe things out there to just stop someone for the heck of it. This is also the way I teach new boating officers in the State courses.
Check-points are, of course, a different matter. In those, we can and do stop every boat, every 2nd boat, 3rd boat, etc. depending on the number of boats wwithin the checkpoint area and the availability of resources to deal with them.

Outnumbered
10-04-2005, 01:10 PM
You had the right person pull you over :eek:
Ya, it was a wake up call. If I'm out now I have no more than 3-4 beers over an 8 hour period on the lake. At 6'1" 220#, that is not even close to OUI. I don't even drink most of the time. Its just not worth the risk. I've been thru a lake OUI check since and passed without issue.