PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Ford Truck Code reader

JustMVG
10-04-2005, 10:54 AM
I am in need of a Ford code reader or diagnostic box, i just need to find out whats wrong with my truck and don't want to spend the 95.00 bicks they want at the dealer for a diagnostic check. Changed the fuel filter and reset the pump and it still will not start, and yes there's gas in the tank.
Thanks MikeVG

OG'sBeanSack
10-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Umm, yeah, I happen to carry one of those around in my back pocket. LOL. :wink:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/12505heloshota.JPG

MsDrmr
10-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Try going over to Kragen or Auto Zone, sometimes they will lend one to you if the truck is right outside. Otherwise the may do it for you.
Mike needed something read on his and they did it for him right there (I believe) call and make sure, I would hate to have waisted your time.

JustMVG
10-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Ms. D never a waste of time thanks for the tip.
Now the truck won't start and i am not feeling the need to push it to Autozone or any of the other parts places. So if someone does have one in their back pocket and can spare a few minutes that would be great.

Big Kahunaa
10-04-2005, 11:18 AM
what year what motor sounds like crank sensor

JustMVG
10-04-2005, 11:20 AM
2000, V-10, i ran the tank down and i think the fuel pump might be shot, but am hoping for the best. Reset the Fuel pump switch and replaced the fuel filter, still wont start.

Big Kahunaa
10-04-2005, 11:32 AM
get some carb cleaner take the air horn off at the throttle body and spray it while some one cranks it and if it starts fuel pump if not probly no spark if it has a tach see if the tach is moving while ckanking

JustMVG
10-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Well i tried that with some starter fluid and the engine turns over but does not get gas, tried the same thing after replacing the Fuel filter and still wont start, so prolly the fuel pump.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
10-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Did you check and make sure you have plenty of windshield wiper fluid? :D

Keithb87
10-04-2005, 11:59 AM
If you just ran it out of gas or just changed the filter then you may have to cycle it through ( this will also tell you if the pump is bad) Turn on the key , you should hear the fuel pump whine for about 2 or 3 seconds. ( this primes the fuel system.) As long as the whine is happening, your pump is working fine. Turn the key to on wait 10 seconds turn it off wait 5 seconds turn it on again. Do this about 5 or 6 times then try to start it.
Other wise you may need to get a code reader.

Big Kahunaa
10-04-2005, 12:25 PM
well if i didn't start will spraying it it souds like spark I had guy in the shop with motorhome with a v-10 it would start and not start taped the crank sensor while running and it died

shadow
10-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Cycle the key,then go under the hood,find the fuel rail in the fuel rail there will be a shrader valve.Take off the cap and push the pin.should have fuel.
No fuel at that point,take a test light disconnect the plug at the fuel tank,have someone crank the engine and see if you've got power at the plug.If you have power to the pump replace the pump.No power check the inerta switch & fuses.

Havasubum
10-04-2005, 12:54 PM
auto zone will let you bring the code reader to your house all you do is just give them your driver license or something in collateral