PDA

View Full Version : Valve Sprind Shims Making Metal??

HammerDown
12-18-2002, 07:51 AM
Just trying to find out where a very small amount of glitter is coming from...it's up in the heads where oil will puddle in the head...ya could only see it when ya wipe the head with your finger, and I'm just talking very-very small pin head specks. Had the motor down, everything looks great,Cam, Lifters,push rods and guids, Rockers not hitting top retainers, Rods and Crank look fine. I had thought it may be where the timming gear runs on the block...but that also looks fine. I took a few valve springs off and some of the shims do show some (shine) to them...but no gouges...some say this is normal break-inn wear. Maybe 15 hrs on motor 3 oil changes...Hmmmmmm!
[ December 18, 2002, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

MikeF
12-18-2002, 08:03 AM
The last shim you should use (the one in touch w/ the spring) should be the hardened type. The zinc coated ones, if touching the spring, will wear and flake off. Looks like you might want to invest in some wink .

Infomaniac
12-18-2002, 05:17 PM
Make sure you do not have a rocker rubbing valve cover also.
Yes a hardened shim under the spring for sure.

HammerDown
12-19-2002, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the tips...I belive my machine shop uses K-Line Brand shims...but I'm sure if out of a needed one he'll use a used one laying around?....So who makes the best brand of Shims? I'll change them all out.
Infomatic...yes that was the 1'st thing I looked for...all good there.

stix818
12-19-2002, 09:53 AM
Just get buckets and put the shims under that.