PDA

View Full Version : WTF; OTC vs Prescrip Water in the ear cures?:

Flying Tiger
05-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Sometimes the kids get "Water in the Ear" pain.
The over the counter product lists the same ingredients as the prescript stuff,, but the OTC stuff doesn't work, it's snake oil.
The OTC is so much more convienent to buy, though our prescript co-pay is only $3. The Parker Sav-on pharmacy is a Pain in the A$$ to deal with for a Cali resident with Pacificare.
What do you use??
Any better home remedies?

phebus
05-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Hydrogen peroxide. It breaks down the ear wax that traps the water. The ear is a perfect breeding ground for an infection. Warm and dark, and if you provide moisture, it's better than a petri dish. Gotta keep them clean.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-10-2006, 03:56 PM
My family had a pool growing up and I used to get the water in the ear pain all the time. I don't know why this worked but I used to lay my head/ear down on the warm pavement on the side of the pool to get rid of it. :confused: It worked though. I guess its not neccessarily a good remedy for when your kids are not actually in the pool. :rolleyes: :boxed:

MrsSigEpMock
05-11-2006, 02:08 PM
More Alcohol. rubbing alcohol that is. Similarly to H202, it kills bacteria and it helps absorb some of the water when it evaporates!!! :rollside:

Keithb87
05-11-2006, 03:25 PM
I used to get "Swimmer's Ear" and the family doc would prescribe the Prescription stuff. Finally one day he told mom to just put a few drops of Rubbing Alcohol in each ear after I got out of the water.
Worked Great.