PDA

View Full Version : DRIVE COUPLERS

not guilty
02-22-2002, 01:19 PM
Looking for info on high performance couplers.We have a BBF with an OMC kingcobra,I know the input shaft to the drive is the same as a bravo so we believe something for a merc will work if we get the right bolt pattern.The OMC bolts on to the crank bolts and has a real narrow collar that tends to break with 400+ HP.Any ideas on something that could bolt to the flywheel ???THANKS...NG

DogHouse
02-22-2002, 01:39 PM
The Bravo unit attaches to the GM clutch 6 bolt pattern on the outer surface of the flywheel. It's big and seems to put up with big nasty blower motors. Not sure if the pattern is the same for the Ford though. If nothing else, it seems like you could drill a new pattern in the Ford flywheel. You would also need to verify the spacing for correct spline engagement. I just bought one from Mercruiserparts.com, $305. Their websight has drawings if you want to see what it looks like.
-Brian

not guilty
02-22-2002, 02:57 PM
Thanks doghouse.Never new of that site before.Was looking under 454 bravo sr# B771113 & up , it shows a flexplate style (which I can get thru my NAPA marine)would this style plate work with a steel flywheel ??NG

DogHouse
02-22-2002, 03:36 PM
Looks like that drawing shows two versions of the coupler, the three bolt and the heavier duty six bolt. They both bolt to the same pattern on the flywheel as far as I know. Neither is compatible with a flexplate. If you're using a flexplate rather than a flywheel, then you would need the small Alpha style coupler that uses the crankshaft bolt circle. Does that answer your question?
-Brian

not guilty
02-22-2002, 04:11 PM
Yeah, didnt know if the 3 bolt was a flywheel type , says its a flexplate style in my NAPA book. You say its a lower HP style though ,If thats right its not what I need.Anybody have any other input.Summers comin!!!! NG

waterbum
02-22-2002, 07:52 PM
Buy a chevy bro!Sorry NG you let yourself wide open...Just jerkin yer chain again. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Bum

not guilty
02-23-2002, 07:53 AM
DAMN-IT, hate it when I get caught trying to put chevy parts on my ford BUM!!Really though I need to find something to invert on my rig that will hold up, this OMC crap doesnt get it.Thought I'd try the three bolt style since I can get it with my NAPA marine dealership but (editors note:this is not spam)not sure if that 3 bolt style is up to ythe HP.Anybody have one like this on there rig? Napa doesnt list the other one that bolts in a complete circle or I'd try it >THANKS NG

waterbum
02-23-2002, 08:18 AM
NG,I used the older(1988)mushroom style that bolts directly to the crank.OMC King Cobra drive,on my Four Winns with 471h.p. stroker.Boat weight approx.4000lbs.Came out of the hole hard just about always and never hurt it.You can use this type with a flex plate if you wish.Hope this helps you.Creating a beast from scratch is always a challenge but really rewarding.Everyone kept telling me,if it ain't black take it back,well in the end the (O)ld (M)ans (C)ompanion blew by most of em.By the way,you seem like the kinda dude that would be a blast to party with.Why dont you bring the family to Raystown to boat someday.Bum

not guilty
02-23-2002, 09:30 AM
I've had three of these "mushroom style" from OMC on this thing in 8 years, the last one broke off at the base of the stem but this may have happen after the rubber gave out .not sure, just know it put an early end to the season.I have the alignment tool and sure everything was in line, not real sure about the front mounts at the runners though, think things could be getting soft possibly.Whats a little fiberglass work at this point,??All I have left to do is completely rebuild a motor,some paint work,finish the uphoulstry and a new sound system!!!!!What month is this?
Would like to meet up sometime.With the steel industry like it is dont think we'll be goin anywhere this year.See your employed in that field ,sure you know what I mean.We haul steel in Ill,Ind,& ohio.Places are going under everywhere.NOT GOOD!!NG