PDA

View Full Version : 05 Extreme Performance Sand Car

nickmcfayden
10-05-2005, 10:50 AM
05 Extreme Performance Eco chassis
1 Season on 450 LS1
2 trips on Brand new re-built transmission.
Project build up for Sand Addiction Magazine.
If you have any questions or want to see pictures email me at
nick@sandaddiction.com
Or call 909-917-4082
$59,000.00 OBO.
Location Ontario, CA
Here a couple specs.
Car
Extreme Performance.
Frame / Chassis, Eco
Materials 4130 chromolly tubing
Wheel Travel 20"
Power plant
Engine, Turnkey 450 LS1
Drive Train
Transaxle/Rear end MD 4S 2D MENDEOLA
Builder Wright Gear box, Riverside CA
Axles, Extreme Fabrication drive axles.
Rims, Bogart racing wheels (4.5"X 17" FRONT) (12"X 17" REAR) w/ scalloped Bead Locks
Tires SAN TIRES UNLIMITED Front, 33x17 razorback, Rear 33x17 Sand blaster
Bits and Pieces
Shocks King shocks front: 8.5" piggyback res. Rear: 10" coil shock with piggyback res.
Pedals CNC
Seats PRP
Seat Belts CROW
Lights, 2-LASERSTAR, 6 ACRO HID
Special Modifications
Aluminum work AMIL MILLER
Paint/Powder coat by V&L Powder coating
Graphics by Smith Designs.
•
Safety extras
Parker pumper air system and 4-person intercom system

Aqua Boogie1
10-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Poor Kittys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frown: :D

LAFD
10-05-2005, 10:58 AM
pics.

OG'sBeanSack
10-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Pics please...

WaTchTheGelCoat
10-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Nice first post :notam: :notam:

OGShocker
10-05-2005, 11:28 AM
What are you new here? :D :hammer2: :D
Sounds like a good deal for someone. :clover: :clover: :clover:

NOTALENT
10-05-2005, 11:30 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/916kittens.bmp

Cole Trickle
10-05-2005, 11:57 AM
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=55480
I am pretty sure this is the car....
Found it while browsing over at glamisdunes.com
Looks to be a good deal for all that is included!

nickmcfayden
10-05-2005, 12:02 PM
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=55480
I am pretty sure this is the car....
Found it while browsing over at glamisdunes.com
Looks to be a good deal for all that is included!
sorry guys. I tried to post some pics all I got was warnings. :(
any how pics are hear http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=55480
this car is ready for season. So If your looking for a car now this is the one.

NOTALENT
10-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Thats one bad ass ride...

OG'sBeanSack
10-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Did I see that right, 5900.00 OBO???
WILL YOU TAKE CASHHHHHHH?

Cole Trickle
10-05-2005, 12:27 PM
sorry guys. I tried to post some pics all I got was warnings. :(
any how pics are hear http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=55480
this car is ready for season. So If your looking for a car now this is the one.
Question for you...
I have been debating putting a car together for a couple seasons now but certain things in the industry have scared me away.
I think I can have a pretty trick LS1 LT 2 seat buggy put together for under 30K.This will be with me doing the motor and alot of the final assembly.(I am not going to pay 10K for a LS1/computer harness through one of the popular builders)
Looking at your add is says newly rebuilt Mendeola? I thought these things were bullet proof?(They should be for what they are charging :sqeyes: )
How long would you expect a mendi 2d to last behind 450hp?(I am not going to pay $2500 every season to rebuild something with that high of a price tag and will look at other options)
I think your car wll sell very fast you have some great parts and options included for 40% off what a new one would cost.
Thanks for your imput my uncles love reading Sand Addiction!!
Brandin

ADDICTED
10-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Question for you...
I have been debating putting a car together for a couple seasons now but certain things in the industry have scared me away.
I think I can have a pretty trick LS1 LT 2 seat buggy put together for under 30K.This will be with me doing the motor and alot of the final assembly.(I am not going to pay 10K for a LS1/computer harness through one of the popular builders)
Looking at your add is says newly rebuilt Mendeola? I thought these things were bullet proof?(They should be for what they are charging :sqeyes: )
How long would you expect a mendi 2d to last behind 450hp?(I am not going to pay $2500 every season to rebuild something with that high of a price tag and will look at other options)
I think your car wll sell very fast you have some great parts and options included for 40% off what a new one would cost.
Brandin
In regaurds to the 2D lasting. My car has 465HP to the ground. 4 seasons on it and never had one problem. I re built it last leason becuase the motor was out of it. As long as you drive it like your boat you will be fine. Dont hammer it out of the hole and lift when in air.

OGShocker
10-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Is it just me or does the driver look like Ultra28. :D
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-1701-1128445703_thumb.jpg

Cole Trickle
10-05-2005, 01:40 PM
In regaurds to the 2D lasting. My car has 465HP to the ground. 4 seasons on it and never had one problem. I re built it last leason becuase the motor was out of it. As long as you drive it like your boat you will be fine. Dont hammer it out of the hole and lift when in air...
I drive my cars ALOT harder than my boat......
I don't powershift and I am usually pretty good on trannys but I like to bang gears racing up the hill.
I will be throwing a blown LS1 at it so it will have 450tq from 2000 rpm's on.
What does a rebuild cost?

Woodster
10-05-2005, 02:05 PM
I drive my cars ALOT harder than my boat......
I don't powershift and I am usually pretty good on trannys but I like to bang gears racing up the hill.
I will be throwing a blown LS1 at it so it will have 450tq from 2000 rpm's on.
What does a rebuild cost?
Your better off spending the money on a Mende S4..I have the S4 tranny and it is awesome..Sequential shifting and it'll handle 450Hp Ls1 no problem..The 2D can handle the HP, but its the tourqe that kills them. The S4 is about a 4k upgrade though but its well worth the money

Cole Trickle
10-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Your better off spending the money on a Mende S4..I have the S4 tranny and it is awesome..Sequential shifting and it'll handle 450Hp Ls1 no problem..The 2D can handle the HP, but its the tourqe that kills them. The S4 is about a 4k upgrade though but its well worth the money
Thanks for the info.
4K upgrade?
If you don't mind me asking what should I expect to pay for the S4 providing my builder dosen't totaly ream me.

nickmcfayden
10-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Did I see that right, 59,000.00 OBO???
WILL YOU TAKE CASHHHHHHH?
yep $59,000.00 call my cell 909-917-4082
This car is ready for the dunes this weekend.

nickmcfayden
10-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Question for you...
Brandin
Brandin, Thanks for the props on the mag.
As you can see from some of the photos I do drive this car hard. I drove it how it was ment to be driven. I make solid shifts, lift when the rear wheels are off the ground and I'm smart in the whoops. I had the trans looked at in the off season just to make sure I didn't have any problems during season. I cant aford the down time. The tranny builder told me that every thing looked great. He changed out some seals and a few other wear parts just to make it new again.
The person who who ends up with this car will love it.

Woodster
10-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the info.
4K upgrade?
If you don't mind me asking what should I expect to pay for the S4 providing my builder dosen't totaly ream me.
Right around $10,500 is a pretty good deal..

Cole Trickle
10-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Right around $10,500 is a pretty good deal..
Thanks for the info. :cool:
I might need to look at a different route because there is no way in hell I would pay $10,000 for a tranny.
I was reading about a guy that had a 3spd auto in a mid engine that might work for much less.I believe he had it behind a built 650hp small block chevy.
I understand why these cars are close to 100K dollars when fully completed.(50% actuall cost for the cars and 50% profit)
The Sandrail industry makes the custom boat industry look like a good deal.
I can get a take out low mileage 350hp LS1/4L60 or T56 trany for right at 3K
I can get a 300HP 5.3/4L60 for less than 2K
It just dosent make sense to spend 3X the amount on a tranny as you do for a motor.

sigepmock
10-05-2005, 03:45 PM
I might need to look at a different route because there is no way in hell I would pay $10,000 for a tranny.
It just dosent make sense to spend 3X the amount on a tranny as you do for a motor.
Ohhhh stop whinning you BIG BALLER!!!! :cry: :yuk:
A big shot like you should be able to afford the S4.... :D :D J/k Brandin.
From my limited experience the 2D is like a built Bravo I/XR, take care of it and you're OK but it's still a Bravo, if you drive like I think you drive..... :D the S4 is the way to go, it's the #6 of the buggy world, well maybe not.....the Fortin(SP?) is the #6 but anyway.....knowing you and how you like to "ADD ON" you'll need the tranny when you bump up to 650HP....!!!
Nick,
Welcome aboard, I've seen you're car plenty of times out at glamis, it's sure to make someone very happy. Nice mag also you guys have really come a long way, keep up the good work.
BTW I think my wife(Carrie) is in a wedding with one of the girlfriends from your group that just had a baby(sorry not sure if it's yours), for her friend Stacy Wood. If it's you, we'll have to catch up for a few beers at the wedding.
Chris

Woodster
10-05-2005, 08:59 PM
I was reading about a guy that had a 3spd auto in a mid engine that might work for much less.I believe he had it behind a built 650hp small block chevy.
I understand why these cars are close to 100K dollars when fully completed.(50% actuall cost for the cars and 50% profit)
The Sandrail industry makes the custom boat industry look like a good deal.
I can get a take out low mileage 350hp LS1/4L60 or T56 trany for right at 3K
I can get a 300HP 5.3/4L60 for less than 2K
Hey Trickle you have to remember..When you buy a lowmilage engine say from a junkyard, you also have to figure in the cost for a complete fuel system, adapter plate, clutch,pressureplate,flywheel,starter, and a computer that will work for the sandcar application. You cant just run a stock Delphi computer out of a vette. It has ALOT of extra wiring for one, and it has other things built in such as auto tranny shift points etc..Also an aftermarket puter is needed to run things on you sandcar such as fan relays for your radiator fans etc.. If you went and bought a aftermarket computer such as a Haltech your looking at around 2k fo it ready to go. You can go buy a complete Turnkey 410HP ls1 for around 8k and it comes with everything you need.
How would you run an auto tranny in a sandcar? Monut it up front like a reg street car? You would need some kind of transaxle back there for you Cv's to work..Just a thought :220v: :220v:

Cole Trickle
10-06-2005, 07:48 AM
Hey Trickle you have to remember..When you buy a lowmilage engine say from a junkyard, you also have to figure in the cost for a complete fuel system, adapter plate, clutch,pressureplate,flywheel,starter, and a computer that will work for the sandcar application. You cant just run a stock Delphi computer out of a vette. It has ALOT of extra wiring for one, and it has other things built in such as auto tranny shift points etc..Also an aftermarket puter is needed to run things on you sandcar such as fan relays for your radiator fans etc.. If you went and bought a aftermarket computer such as a Haltech your looking at around 2k fo it ready to go. You can go buy a complete Turnkey 410HP ls1 for around 8k and it comes with everything you need.
How would you run an auto tranny in a sandcar? Monut it up front like a reg street car? You would need some kind of transaxle back there for you Cv's to work..Just a thought :220v: :220v:
I just installed a LS6/4L60 into a 67 Chevelle with one of my good friends.It wasn't as hard as you would think.I have all of the software needed to make computer changes and we are well versed in running/tracing wires for the LS1 based cars.
I appreciate the insight and I will need to investigate the transmission options and some of the starter/clutch and flywheel issues.
Here is a link to a buggy with a auto tranny in a rear engine?
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=54809
There is alot to say about a turnkey package but I would rather tinker with it myself.
My problem with the industry is that there is multiple companies making outrageous HP claims yet are selling you a bone stock LS1/LS6/Honda V6 crate motor with headers.My uncle has the 410hp Turnkey package in his Desert Dynamics car and it is nothing more than a stock LS1 with a truck manifold.(This motor would not make any more than 370hp on an engine dyno-honestly they probably make less because they are eliminating the MAF and tuning in closed loop,ot to mention they set the rev limiter at 5800 when the stock LS1 makes power all the way to 6200 )
I know of several places where you can buy a stroked 402 LS2 with a big cam and AFR heads for a tad over 8K.(This motor would actualy make 575hp)
Brandin

nickmcfayden
10-06-2005, 01:37 PM
I just installed a LS6/4L60 into a 67 Chevelle with one of my good friends.It wasn't as hard as you would think.I have all of the software needed to make computer changes and we are well versed in running/tracing wires for the LS1 based cars.
I appreciate the insight and I will need to investigate the transmission options and some of the starter/clutch and flywheel issues.
There is alot to say about a turnkey package but I would rather tinker with it myself.
My problem with the industry is that there is multiple companies making outrageous HP claims yet are selling you a bone stock LS1/LS6/Honda V6 crate motor with headers.My uncle has the 410hp Turnkey package in his Desert Dynamics car and it is nothing more than a stock LS1 with a truck manifold.(This motor would not make any more than 370hp on an engine dyno-honestly they probably make less because they are eliminating the MAF and tuning in closed loop,ot to mention they set the rev limiter at 5800 when the stock LS1 makes power all the way to 6200 )
I know of several places where you can buy a stroked 402 LS2 with a big cam and AFR heads for a tad over 8K.(This motor would actualy make 575hp)
Brandin
I also have a 2 seat LS1 with by-pass shocks on all 4 if your interested $35,000.00
Let me know I will send pictures

Deano
10-06-2005, 02:38 PM
BTW I think my wife(Carrie) is in a wedding with one of the girlfriends from your group that just had a baby
Are you talking about Tara??

Woodster
10-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Brandin
Can you give me a link to who ever sells a Stroked Ls2 for 8k ready to bolt in a sandcar?? With AFR heads?? Wow thats a great deal. The Jeff feilds tranny in that link you posted is around 14k if im not mistaken??

Cole Trickle
10-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Please tell me where I can get a stroked Ls2 with AFR heads for 8k..Ill buy 2 of them right now. The car you posted a link to has a Jeff fields auto tranny..If im not mistaken, that tranny is around 16k.. I do agree with you about the Turnkey engines being way over rated in HP #'s. But I dont agree with the fact that you can build a Stroked LS2 with AFR heads, ready to bolt in a Sandcar for 8k. Theres alot more stuff your gonna need.
You have the Delphi software to tune the computers? How did you score that? That software is close to 50k from GM.
Here is a link to a short block for less than 4K
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243997
Here is a link to the long block for $6600(Scroll a tad bit down for the LB quote)
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357798
I can find you more if you like..... I have been involved in the LS1 industry for over 5 years now and have a decent knowledge base of the engine.(I have owned 4 modified LS1 based vehicles)
I tried to push my uncle into doing a LS1 for years before they hit the sand mags.Everybody was starting to do Northstars and he didn't believe the LS1 was that much better.(He finally got one 2 seasons ago and is hooked)
There are other soloutions besides delphi for tuning.(carputing,HP tuners,etc...)
With a PCM and a wiring harness you can acomplish alot if you know what your doing.
I appreciate the info on that trany I had no idea how much it was :frown: .(I am going to go out on a limb and say that car is a steal at 60K)
I was browsing V8rail.com earlier today and they have a frame that would fit what I am trying to do.It is front engine but I think it would be a kick(I think a blown 6.0L/4L80 would make for a real nice combo)
Brandin

Cole Trickle
10-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Can you give me a link to who ever sells a Stroked Ls2 for 8k ready to bolt in a sandcar?? With AFR heads?? Wow thats a great deal. The Jeff feilds tranny in that link you posted is around 14k if im not mistaken??
Don't take what I am saying the wrong way I imagine you have a bueatiful car and that is awesome.
I just don't like the monoploy that some of these companies have and like to find ways around the typical.
I have been wrong more than once but I am not paying 20K for a tranny and motor. :hammer2: :D

Woodster
10-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Here is a link to a short block for less than 4K
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243997
Here is a link to the long block for $6600(Scroll a tad bit down for the LB quote)
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357798
I can find you more if you like..... I have been involved in the LS1 industry for over 5 years now and have a decent knowledge base of the engine.(I have owned 4 modified LS1 based vehicles)
I tried to push my uncle into doing a LS1 for years before they hit the sand mags.Everybody was starting to do Northstars and he didn't believe the LS1 was that much better.(He finally got one 2 seasons ago and is hooked)
There are other soloutions besides delphi for tuning.(carputing,HP tuners,etc...)
With a PCM and a wiring harness you can acomplish alot if you know what your doing.
I appreciate the info on that trany I had no idea how much it was :frown: .(I am going to go out on a limb and say that car is a steal at 60K)
I was browsing V8rail.com earlier today and they have a frame that would fit what I am trying to do.It is front engine but I think it would be a kick(I think a blown 6.0L/4L80 would make for a real nice combo)
Brandin
Yes those V8 cars are nice.. And the Auto tranny would deff be sweet.. Thanks for the links :)

Cole Trickle
10-06-2005, 03:35 PM
I also have a 2 seat LS1 with by-pass shocks on all 4 if your interested $35,000.00
Let me know I will send pictures
sent you an email...

Cole Trickle
10-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Yes those V8 cars are nice.. And the Auto tranny would deff be sweet.. Thanks for the links :)
No problem at all!!!
Both of those compnies build some good stuff and I would have no reservations running there motors.
If you are truly interested in the LS1 motor and kind of reading behind the scenes.(Away from the buggy industry) ls1tech.com has more info than just about anyother place on the net.Most of the guys there have been modifying LS1's since they were released in the 97 vette.Some of the combo's they put together would flat out scare you.
The community is growing nicely I remember when stage 2 heads cost 2500 and now they are 1200.(LS1 prices are getting alot better)
Brandin

nickmcfayden
10-07-2005, 09:46 AM
:D

sigepmock
10-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Are you talking about Tara??
I think her name is Marcy....sorry I suck with names and I've only met her once or twice. :confused:
Chris Mock

nickmcfayden
10-08-2005, 09:15 PM
I think her name is Marcy....sorry I suck with names and I've only met her once or twice. :confused:
Chris Mock
Yep Marci is her name and she just had my baby. See you at the wedding.

nickmcfayden
10-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Just droped the price.
$55,000.00 firm

Outnumbered
10-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Nice!
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-1701-1128445780_thumb.jpg