PDA

View Full Version : New computer

phebus
10-05-2005, 12:05 PM
I need a new laptop, and was considering going to the dark side, and getting a Mac. Opinions needed before I pull the plug tonight.

BajaMike
10-05-2005, 12:30 PM
I don't know MACs very well, but the people who have them love them.
You kinda have to learn everything all over again. :confused:
You will have to buy new software (like Office for Mac) if it doesnt come with it..... :idea:
And they are a little pricey...compared to deals you can get on laptops.....
Good luck!! :cool:

MagicMtnDan
10-05-2005, 12:31 PM
There's only one choice: Dell

HocusPocus
10-05-2005, 01:00 PM
There's only one choice: Dell
i know alot of people with dell computers.. and they all swear by them. thats who im going with on my next one.

mickeyfinn
10-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Mac is a losing proposition. They are only staying afloat because Microsoft is pumping money into them in order to not be a monopoly. They had a nice little niche market for heavy video editors, but even they are slowly moving toward the microsoft operating systems due to compatibility with everyone else. I don't think MAC's are going out any time soon, but they aren't going to move forward very far either. Besides look at all the free tech support you can get for the microsoft stuff here on ***boat!!!

coorslt4u2
10-05-2005, 01:22 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I would stay way from mac !!!!! just my .02

Tom Brown
10-05-2005, 01:31 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I would stay way from mac !!!!! just my .02
Why don't you share the negative Mac experience, on which you base this statement, with us? :)

Tom Brown
10-05-2005, 01:33 PM
... look at all the free tech support you can get for the microsoft stuff here on ***boat!!!
The interesting this is, the Mac guys that are here don't seem to need it. :D

Tom Brown
10-05-2005, 01:36 PM
If you end up going with a the same mini-tower PC everyone else on the planet is using, you can always snazz it up. :D
http://galleri.sweclockers.com/chassi_img/5851_1.jpg

Chase
10-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Tom, that is one bitchin unit... :D

phebus
10-05-2005, 01:44 PM
The computer I am replacing is a Dell. I have a Dell laptop, and a Dell PC. Good computers, but the worst customer service I have ever had on any product I have ever bought. Unless you speak Indiaglese, you are completely out of luck, and even when I did understand them, they could never solve my problems.
No matter what I get, Dell is out of the equation.

Tom Brown
10-05-2005, 01:45 PM
I finally found a use for that burner that's been eating CDs.

Havasu Hangin'
10-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Is it me, or does that sound gay (in a Canadian sort of way, eh?).
:)

BajaMike
10-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Mac is a losing proposition. They are only staying afloat because Microsoft is pumping money into them in order to not be a monopoly. They had a nice little niche market for heavy video editors, but even they are slowly moving toward the microsoft operating systems due to compatibility with everyone else. I don't think MAC's are going out any time soon, but they aren't going to move forward very far either. Besides look at all the free tech support you can get for the microsoft stuff here on ***boat!!!
I don't agree, and although I'm not a MAC user, I have helped support them for years.
Apple is an extremely profitable company, and not just because of the very successfull iPod.....because there are no "Mac clones", they can keep thier prices very high.
The laptops are beautiful and extremely well built, and the towers are built like other companies build their servers...heavy duty and reliable.
Their design and quality is always rated very highly. And they are going to switch to the Intel processors, so the software incompatability problems will disappear in the future.
And Apple doesn't need "Microsoft to help them stay afloat"
This doesn't look like a company worrying about "staying afloat".... :D :D
:devil: :lightsabe :devil: :lightsabe
Revenue (ttm): 12.60B
Revenue Per Share (ttm): 15.856
Qtrly Revenue Growth (yoy): 74.80%
Gross Profit (ttm): 2.26B
EBITDA (ttm): 1.53B
Net Income Avl to Common (ttm): 1.01B
Diluted EPS (ttm): 1.20
Qtrly Earnings Growth (yoy): 424.60%
Balance Sheet
Total Cash (mrq): 7.53B
Total Cash Per Share (mrq): 9.069
Total Debt (mrq): 0
Total Debt/Equity (mrq): 0
Current Ratio (mrq): 3.002
Book Value Per Share (mrq): 8.238
Cash Flow Statement
From Operations (ttm): 2.23B
Free Cashflow (ttm): 1.24B
Those "B"s are BILLION $$$$!
:lightsabe :lightsabe

Tom Brown
10-05-2005, 01:55 PM
This doesn't look like a company worrying about "staying afloat".... :D :D
No kidding. My understanding is that most of their money comes from the iPod but they are a solid company with solid products and a good business model.
Anyway, I don't think phebus was considering buying Apple Computer Inc. ..... just one of their computers. :D
Phebus, there are a few really good platforms available these days. I don't think there are any perfect choices, nor are there many bad choices anymore. I'm sure you'll figure out what's right for you.
I, however, can't make any recommendations based on a two sentence post. :D

BajaMike
10-05-2005, 02:02 PM
"Apple Computer Staying Afloat cont...." :confused: :confused:
Their stock has done OK too....... :cool: :rollside: :idea: :boxed:
http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/5y/a/aapl
:devil: :devil:

Creator
10-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Dell, No way! Mac OK, I have friends that swear by them but I'm A die hard PC guy. I use to be a tech (A+ cert. MCP, MCSE) and I spent way too much time working on dells and their crappy proprietary system. If you really don't know jack about computers dell seems good but if you really want a kick a$$ laptop or pc go with a Cyber Power System (http://www.cyberpowersystem.com) . Much better systems than dells, more customizable, and better service for the customer as well. They are local in LA so that makes it nice and they all speak english also. If you go with their extended warranty you get onsite same day service for 3 years otherwise it's only for 1 year. Great systems, great price and great service.

BajaMike
10-05-2005, 02:07 PM
"Anyway, I don't think phebus was considering buying Apple Computer Inc. ..... just one of their computers."
Hey, Tom.....good point! :eat: :eat: :eat: