PDA

View Full Version : HTP Snoot???

jbone
10-05-2005, 12:14 PM
I currently have a set back Dominator, shoe, ride plate, inducer impeller, American Turbine droop and a Place diverter. The boat is a heavy 21 ft Shockwave Skier with a 400 +hp 502. Currently turning an A impeller at 4800 rpm a wot.
The ride is good, just thinking a straight snoot could help me pick up top end.
I've already talked with some very helpful people, I was hoping someone had tried this snoot on a similar application.
What do you think.
And... does anyone have a used one for sale or to try??
J

LGCDEVIL
10-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Are you running a droop now, or just the stock nozzle? Ride plate? I ran the straight snoot on a 22'er. That boat liked a droop better than the straight, although the straight snoot did pick up considerable mph over the stock nozzle. The straight will porpise less than a droop, but I was running over 700hp and could trim the porpise out of it or just go faster. It is definately a deal where you have to try them both on, and mess around with some wedges and ride plate angles to see what makes your boat happy.

jbone
10-05-2005, 02:59 PM
I am using the Droop now and was hoping to get feedback on the straight with a similar application. I do have the Place diverter to trim out porposing, which I currently have at cruising speeds.
I want to pick up some top end and hoped this might give me some.
J

LGCDEVIL
10-05-2005, 04:36 PM
If I were to guess, you will lose a couple mph of top end, but it might drive a little better at 30-45mph. That was my experience with it for what its worth. Hit up Duane at HTP and he can probably answer most of your questions. Very helpful.

screamdreambrad
10-05-2005, 05:19 PM
I Picked Up No Mph, But It Did Pick Up The Leave In My Drag Boat. There Was A Used One For Sale On The Boards The Other Day. I Think Micheal, 396 Ways To Spit Was Talking About It. Check With Him.

Squirtcha?
10-05-2005, 05:27 PM
The original auction has been closed and re-opened. Not a bad deal for a billet piece with wedges, steering extension and studs included. I don't think you could get a Berk, Aggressor, or Place Diverter unit for that, and they're both cast pieces.
"Buy it now" price of $300
snoot auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4579165079)

jbone
10-05-2005, 05:51 PM
I did see that one and am considering it, but wanted some input first.
I have talked with Duane and you're right, he is very helpful. There is just so much to consider, and most if this stuff seems to be try and see. A $300 test piece is a lot of money.

Jeanyus
10-05-2005, 06:14 PM
How can a guy tell what the pin angle is on these things? My Berkeley droop has 7.5 pin angle, plus 2 degree up wedge. If I take out the wedge, it pushes the bow down and the boat feels real squirly, and looses speed.

Squirtcha?
10-05-2005, 07:43 PM
I know HTP makes at least two pin angles. Mine's a 4 degree and I think they make one with no pin angle. There may be others too, but those are the ones I've seen.
I think this one is no angle.
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/Snoot_cr.jpg
This one's mine with the 4 degree.
http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/5.5_degrees.jpg

Taylorman
10-05-2005, 08:00 PM
What does the different pin angles do? Is it the same as adding wedges?

CMZRACING
10-06-2005, 04:06 AM
Yes, I Had A Berk Droop On My Sanger And Replaced It With A 6 1/2" Straight Bowl Extention. My Original Test Gps Was 65.6mph With The Droop And No One In The Boat. Now With The Straight Bowl Extention And My Lady Friend In The Boat It Does 69.0 Mph. So Im Thinking With Her On Shore I Should Be In The 70 Mph Mark With Just Me In The Boat. I'll Try To Post A Pic Of The Pump Tonight. Hope This Helps Some.

Duane HTP
10-06-2005, 04:28 AM
What does the different pin angles do? Is it the same as adding wedges?
Not exactly. When comparing wedges to pin angles, the pin angle tends to lift the nose of the boat more. The 4 degrees seems to be more drastic at the back of the Snoot than it does at the front of the Snoot. It gives more of a teeter / todder effect. In general, it seems as though the big heavy boats like the 4 degree nozzle pin angle better, and the faster you go, the more they like the straight pin axis. I don't think I have any boats out there running over 100 mph that use the 4 degree pin axis, But have a lot of heavy boats and day cruisers that do run it. Once again, there is no set rule, there are always exceptions.

LewdAct
10-06-2005, 02:19 PM
I have the 4 degree short snoot and it did make a big difference launching the boat also it helped take some porpose out of it as well,, but then my boat only weighs 325!!!! but compared to the droop,, it is night and day in performance!!!! Duane,, Maybe i need to try that straight pin,, what do you think?????

Flip
10-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Ya know, I just keep waiting for that Chet-head to chime in. :boxingguy
Great thread, it's just like waiting for the impending dooooooom though. :notam: :devil:

wet77
10-06-2005, 03:45 PM
I have seen a 6 mph increase by adding the snoot from HTP on my 21' daytona :cool:
It also handles much better, turns faster :D

jbone
10-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Looks there has been some success in some some applications.
After talking with Duane, it looks like I'll be going with the cast snoot with the 4 deg pin angle. Just trying a wedge up first to see if there any help first.
J