PDA

View Full Version : Bad Balancer??

LakeBound
10-05-2005, 12:40 PM
I noticed a ticking noise the other day on my motor. Using a long screw driver I ruled out alt. bearings. Then placed the driver on the timing chain cover... Smooth...... I then placed the tip of the driver on the timing pointer above the harmonic balancer. Awwwww noisy.....I think it is time for a replacement. Never had one go bad. Anyone know of a way to confirm this or test the balancer to verify if its indeed junk?

obnoxious001
10-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Maybe you are picking up timing chain noise? The balancers usually would appear wobbly,, or have some of the rubber sticking out,, or the outer ring might have shifted? Not sure I have heard of one making noise?

Fiat48
10-05-2005, 02:48 PM
If you run an alternator then remove and check the drive pulley on the balancer. Lot of times the pulley cracks and makes the sound. Have fooled a lot of guys thinking it was a rod knock.

Infomaniac
10-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Yep what Fiat said.
And the fuel pump push rod

SmokinLowriderSS
10-05-2005, 03:42 PM
I can't imagine a balancer making noise either. You could put a stripe of paint, nail polish, whatever, across the outer to inner parts, drive a while, and see if the rubber layer is slipping. I would suspect a pulley or some bit of noise from something other than the balancer itself.

LakeBound
10-06-2005, 03:47 AM
Thanks guys for your input... I believe I found the culprit... Crank pulley was a tad loose. Tightend 2 bolts about 4 flats and the 3rd about 6 flats.... I could just barly wiggle the pulley back and forth with both hands..(No slop now) Headed for the lake a bit later to check it out.......

JetBoatRich
10-06-2005, 05:15 AM
Thanks guys for your input... I believe I found the culprit... Crank pulley was a tad loose. Tightend 2 bolts about 4 flats and the 3rd about 6 flats.... I could just barly wiggle the pulley back and forth with both hands..(No slop now) Headed for the lake a bit later to check it out.......
Have to be happy it was easy :cool: