PDA

View Full Version : My F-250 is all better.

Mandelon
12-11-2002, 07:08 PM
My temp gauge on my 97 F250 HD is now displaying a higher temp than it used to. Its got the big gas 460. I changed the coolant and flushed the radiator out. The thing's got almost a 100,000 miles now.
Could it be thermostat? The gauge doesn't have numbers, just a needle and "normal" range. Its never been too hot or overheated. Any ideas???
[ December 19, 2002, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

HP350SC
12-11-2002, 07:19 PM
Did you recheck the coolant level to make sure you got it "burped"? I would recommend a t-stat and sender while you're at it,especially at 100K.You're only talking $25.

Oldsquirt
12-11-2002, 08:03 PM
Could also be starting to plug up some tubes in the radiator. Get it warmed up and then shut it off. Feel the radiator. If any areas seem colder than the rest, you should consider having the radiator removed and "rodded-out". This involves removing the header tanks and passing rods thru the tube to remove any debris build-up. Fairly common situation.
[ December 11, 2002, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: OLDSQUIRT ]

HammerDown
12-12-2002, 06:20 AM
I just went thru this I did a new T-Stat. Rad flush and new coolant (no better)...I installed a mech Autometer Temp Guage and all was fine. It running at 195-200...right where the thremostat opens.

lakesmodified
12-12-2002, 12:03 PM
Mandelon:
My temp gauge on my 97 F250 HD is now displaying a higher temp than it used to. Its got the big gas 460. I changed the coolant and flushed the radiator out. The thing's got almost a 100,000 miles now.
Could it be thermostat? The gauge doesn't have numbers, just a needle and "normal" range. Its never been too hot or overheated. Any ideas???On my 1990 F250, I had the same problem... I noticed my temp gauge, which reads "Normal" and a slight red line at the upper end, used to run right at the "R" or slightly below it. At approx 120K I noticed the gauge reading at the "M" or slightly above. I also noticed my RPM's would rise above normal when the gauge was reading higher. First off, the RPM's going higher is the ECM (Computer) telling the throttle body to increase the RPM in order to increase the flow of water through the engine/radiator in order to assist cooling. I replaced the thermostat and flushed out the radiator, which helped slightly, but still didn't fix the problem entirely. Next I replaced the waterpump(Which actually needed it, as the reverse flow pump is nothing but a reg pump with a sheet metal covering over the vanes, and that cover was all but erroded away) Finally, I replaced the fan clutch, and all my problems went away. Check and see if your truck runs cooler at highway speeds, if so, I would change the fan clutch first. But with your miles, I would still do the thermostat and water pump. Hope this helps.

Mandelon
12-13-2002, 07:27 PM
It seems to be getting a little worse lately. No cooler at highway speeds. The idle kicks up and down regularly. I think I'll start with the water pump.
Thanks for the suggestions. Boaters are cool!

Ian
12-13-2002, 08:02 PM
Unless your leaking water out of the water pump, I would start with the thermastat. Why not start with the easy stuff first, My dad has 95 F-150 and he was having the same problem you are and a new thermastat solved his problems

lakesmodified
12-13-2002, 08:32 PM
Mandelon:
It seems to be getting a little worse lately. No cooler at highway speeds. The idle kicks up and down regularly. I think I'll start with the water pump.
Thanks for the suggestions. Boaters are cool!Mandelon, you DO NEED to change that thermostat also!!!

paradigm shift
12-14-2002, 06:39 PM
If it has a clutch on the fan watch the fan when the motor is warm and you shut it off. If the fans turns more than 2 or 3 revolutions I would replace it. Just something else easy to check.

Jbb
12-14-2002, 06:45 PM
When its cool open thge radiator cap and run your finger around the inside of the opening If it comes out with white or green crystals on it I would bet the radiator is getting plugged up and needs to be boiled out or replaced!

Mandelon
12-14-2002, 09:36 PM
We changed out the thermostat this morning....problem solved. Did the distributor cap and rotor too. Smoothest running 100K motor in town, and at the right temp too.
Thanks for the help!!
[ December 16, 2002, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

HP350SC
12-20-2002, 09:45 PM
Mandelon,glad to be of assistance.Always do the least expensive and/or easiest thing first.By the way,if you or anyone else has any Ford questions,let me know-been fixing them for 22 years at Ford dealer.I specialize in electrical,but will help with any question.How about a star?------SHORTEST DICK buys the BEER!

Mandelon
12-21-2002, 03:53 PM
I shot you a fiver the assist!