PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a cover

h2oboy
10-06-2005, 07:01 AM
Need to find a new/used cover for an 18ft OTE before the winter... If you can help, let me know!!!! I have a 18ft southwind that before i bought it had never been covered.... Need something now that it is going throught the phases of a facelift.... Thanks for the help!!!

GUGS102
10-06-2005, 07:15 AM
They have a guaranteed 5 year cover for like 75-100 bucks. Seems to keep most of the rain out but you can always throw a tarp over that cover if it is outside. Most cost effective way we have found so far and it works pretty well too.
Gugs

h2oboy
10-06-2005, 07:49 AM
They have a guaranteed 5 year cover for like 75-100 bucks. Seems to keep most of the rain out but you can always throw a tarp over that cover if it is outside. Most cost effective way we have found so far and it works pretty well too.
Gugs
Do they fit pretty snug?? or is it a cover that will be blowing in the wind like a kite??
I think Really what I would like to get is a really nice custom cover, but youmay be right going this route.... I just though someone may have a custom cover they are looking to get rid of.

FASTRAT
10-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Do they fit pretty snug?? or is it a cover that will be blowing in the wind like a kite??
I think Really what I would like to get is a really nice custom cover, but youmay be right going this route.... I just though someone may have a custom cover they are looking to get rid of.
the 1's i have cked out at Wal-Mart are gd covers...they have draw strings etc...i dont think u can go wrong for the price...custom made covers are pretty pricey...just my .02 cents
fastrat

Greaser
10-06-2005, 08:18 AM
I bought one from academy, size D, for my Southwind with OT's. Seems to fit pretty good.

Mr. Crusader 83
10-06-2005, 09:08 AM
i dont know where you are located but sea witch marine in vista ca has good one for $135. i just bought one for my boat

Cas
10-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Bought the 2nd Walmart cover a few months ago, first one lasted 4 years and was great. This "new" one is left a white stain on the gel coat that I had to color sand out....wasn't real happy about that.

h2oboy
10-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Bought the 2nd Walmart cover a few months ago, first one lasted 4 years and was great. This "new" one is left a white stain on the gel coat that I had to color sand out....wasn't real happy about that.
What happened that the second one did this???

Cas
10-06-2005, 10:11 AM
What happened that the second one did this???
Just my guess but I don't think the cover "breathed" the way it was supposed to. The white stain was probably moisture that was not able to dissipate from underneath the cover. Pure speculation on my part.

NoCal NoBoat
10-06-2005, 10:47 AM
I'm looking too, for a cover. Sanger Super Jet, BBC, OTE
Just got a phone quote for 3 Benjamins for a custom cover. For storage only, not suitable for towing...

Cas
10-06-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm looking too, for a cover. Sanger Super Jet, BBC, OTE
Just got a phone quote for 3 Benjamins for a custom cover. For storage only, not suitable for towing...
Personally, I won't tow with a cover on. Years ago, a friend of mine was following us to the lake pulling his almost new boat with a cover on. When we got there, he pulled the cover off to find a little rock somehow worked it's way under the cover and was stuck between the cover and bow. With the wind flapping the cover a little bit, that little pebble beat a whole bunch of gouges into his gel coat.

455Rocket
10-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Try Overtons.com (or their catalog) they have a "semi-custom" cover that fit my Nordic like a glove!
This is style I got:
http://www.overtons.com/fpa/ioskiboat.html (http://)

455Rocket
10-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Sorry, Try this one
http://www.overtons.com/fpa/ioskiboat.html

moneysucker
10-06-2005, 12:13 PM
I use the Walmart ones. Worked great for the last 5 years, I buy a new one every 1-1 1/2 years. Because the sun eventually makes them no longer water proof. They are hard to find in D and E sizes. The D size will fit perfect but I use the E size on my SWDT so it will cover the pump and keep my cables good. I just move covers down. Usually last years cover goes on the project boat and 3 years ago sells with what ever boat I sell that year.

h2oboy
10-06-2005, 12:32 PM
I use the Walmart ones. Worked great for the last 5 years, I buy a new one every 1-1 1/2 years. Because the sun eventually makes them no longer water proof. They are hard to find in D and E sizes. The D size will fit perfect but I use the E size on my SWDT so it will cover the pump and keep my cables good. I just move covers down. Usually last years cover goes on the project boat and 3 years ago sells with what ever boat I sell that year.
The only thing I am worried about with the "off the shelf" style is the extra fabric built in to accomidate a boat with high glass windsheilds, do the D or E sizes have this, or is it more made for a jet boat with no glass in the front of the cockpit?? The last thing I want is a big puddle of water standing in the middle, and I hate the pole things...

Slacker
10-06-2005, 01:44 PM
I bought one from Jet boat Performance, paid more than one at wallmart but i am happy with it. The cover has elastic at he bottom with sewn in straps for towing, it is water repellant but not resistant. Water will bead up but eventually it will soak through, but it works great for keeping dirt, bird crap and some water off of it. Hope this helps.....CT

shaun
10-06-2005, 04:23 PM
i use 3 covers on mine, One is a cover made by autowolf, it's a good thick cove but will only cover about 75% of the boat, so i use that one to cover the deck mostly, the second cover i bought from k-mart, i tryed walmart but the one buy me didnt have much of a selection and i could blow through the covers. k-mart had 2 covers, one i could blow through and the other i couldnt (was a gold color). I bought the one i couldnt for like 30-40 bucks and it's suppose to fit like a van or somthing. It works great and is light. When the boat is going to be stored a while and/or possible rain, i put a tarp i bought over it. Right now i dont have a motor so i had to build a PVC Tent...
I looked at custom covers, they where just too expensive, and overtons didnt really show any pictures of "***boats" so i didnt want to spend 200 bucks on a cover that might not fit... I plan to garage the boat in the next year or so anyway...

NoCal NoBoat
10-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Just wanted to come back with a BIG thanks to you all for the information and the suggestion !
The Walmart boat cover, Size D, fits very well on a Sanger Super Jet. Not custom, but not baggy, either.
For comparison, the boat has a BBC, single carb with a scoop (no high-rise).
Size D fits over the Bassett OT's and covers most of the transom, but not the pump.
Like h20boy says, Size D and E are harder to come by. Lots of A,B,C in stock,
only 2 D's.
$ 98 plus tax (about $ 106) out the door, vs the $ 300 I was quoted for a custom cover.
Our stuff looks a lot tighter in the driveway, and maybe the neighborhood preservation officers will leave us alone while we line up some indoor storage.

Bobbo541
10-18-2005, 01:51 PM
I have a canyon flat dragboat with a tall scoop do you think the D size would work for mine.

BUSBY
10-18-2005, 02:02 PM
I have a canyon flat dragboat with a tall scoop do you think the D size would work for mine.
Hey Bob ... Tom Papp just picked up 5 or 6 covers for boats around the shop last week ... from WalMart, $20/+ tax each ... a size "D" or "5" I forget ... I'll find out what the name brand & size was. Awesome cover ... fits over my blown engine, fits over a capsuled Kurtis, etc. etc. etc.
Not an all weather deal, but a nice storage cover or cover for the track ... it has elastic all around the bottom and fits snug ...
Brian

bp
10-18-2005, 04:13 PM
i had a custom cover made several years ago that i could tow with it on. i prefer not towing with it on, but there are times when i have to have things in the boat that i'd prefer not to have loose. then, there are times when the weather just isn't all that accomodating, like running through the monsoons on the trip back from marble falls. the electronics in the boat stayed dry. az can get kinda crazy at times too.
custom covers that fit tight enough to tow with aren't cheap. but if you're gonna tow where you might get caught in some ugly stuff???

TRG
10-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Cali Covers in the city of Riverside make very nice covers, usually for a double stitched cover with a tow diaper is just under a "G" ask Finnegan about his, i think he had his diaper sew'd right into place!

Bobbo541
10-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Thanks Brian looks like i need to take a trip to Walmart.I have one from Costco but it tears easy.
Bob

Squirtcha?
10-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Hey Bob ... Tom Papp just picked up 5 or 6 covers for boats around the shop last week ... from WalMart, $20/+ tax each ... a size "D" or "5" I forget ... I'll find out what the name brand & size was. Awesome cover ... fits over my blown engine, fits over a capsuled Kurtis, etc. etc. etc.
Not an all weather deal, but a nice storage cover or cover for the track ... it has elastic all around the bottom and fits snug ...
Brian
Mine's in the garage, but I still wouldn't mind having a cheapie cover to toss over it. Danged kids have a habit of putting beverage cans on my gelcoat. Sure hope the little buggers make it through the winter alive.
Here's a link to the search page from Wally World. I see $49 $68 $97 $116. Also curious about the D, E, F thing. I don't see any letter designations on their ad.
Boat covers (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/search-ng.gsp?search_constraint=0&search_query=boat+cover&ics=20&ico=0)

BUSBY
10-18-2005, 06:12 PM
didn't get a chance to call Tom today ...
Todd, you've been living at his shop, which were the ones that they picked up? Darren showed me the box ... but forgot what the name was ...
a little help here?
Thanx ... Brian

steelcomp
10-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Buy a decent off the shelf cover, and take it to an upholstery shop and have them make it fit snug. You'll save $$. The tow cover for my Bahner was $550.00. :cry:

NoCal NoBoat
10-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Here's the information from the Wally World box...
Brand name is Harbor Master.
Model A - fits 14 ft - 16ft V-Hull fishing boats. Beam width to 68 inches.
Model B - fits 14ft - 16ft v-hull or tri-hull runabouts and aluminum bass boats. Beam width to 90 inches.
Model C - fits 16ft - 18 1/2ft fish & ski, pro-style bassboats and v-hull pro-style bass boats. Beam width to 94 inches.
Model D - fits 17ft - 19ft v-hull runabouts and v-hull pro-style bass boats. Beam width to 96 inches (Except cuddy cabin and some center console models).
Model E - fits 20ft - 22ft v-hull runabouts and v-hull pro-style bass boats. Beam width to 100 inches (Except cuddy cabin and some center console models).
Remember, your mileage may vary. There are no pictures on the box that look like an old-school flat or hydro with a big block aft.
I went with the good advice I received here and went with Model D. Our boat measured 18 feet from the bow to the transom, so I figured that the slack would help cover the motor and headers. It worked out close to perfect
bow to aft. We have extra fabric on both sides. (Beam width eyeballed something like 71" or 72"), but the sewn-in shock cord keeps it tight.

moneysucker
10-18-2005, 10:03 PM
The D cover fit my SWTD tight and did not cover the pump I used it for at least a year. I went with the E now It covers the pump too. I like the pump covered, keeps cables from rotting. Of course now that I have black cables they stand up to a lot more. Harbor masters are good covers. Just make sure that you cover it with the elastic on the inside or else the sun kills it fast.

Squirtcha?
10-19-2005, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Very helpful. I'm thinking I could get by with the $50 (not premium) since it's not sitting outside.
Dan