PDA

View Full Version : Felpro vs victor gaskets...

YeLLowBoaT
10-06-2005, 10:14 PM
I have been looking for a complete gasket kit for my pontiac and the only 2 choices I have found are felpro and victor. I was wondering is it worth waiting almost a month to get the fel pro or are the victor sets just as good????

DeputyDawg
10-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Go here http://www.jbp-pontiac.com/products/gaskets.html to get your gaskets or anything else you need for your pontiac. These guys are very sharp when it comes to Ponchos.

GofastRacer
10-07-2005, 05:20 AM
For a general rebuild, Victor works fine!..

SmokinLowriderSS
10-07-2005, 04:10 PM
I think the Fel-Pros are a bit better, but I don't think you;d have any trouble with the Victors as long as you put everything togather right. I'm a firm believer in Copper-cote dressing where applicable (oil pans, ANY paper gasket that gets water on it, valve covers (as long as you don't want to remove them, if so, then do 1 side.))

revndave
10-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Fel Pro

cstraub
10-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Victor is a much better gasket.
Chris

DeputyDawg
10-08-2005, 02:05 PM
DO NOT run a Fel-Pro head gasket on your 421. The Fel-Pro gasket that is available is a 4.300 gasket and it is too big to use on a 421 because it will not seal right and you WILL get water in the motor eventually. The Victor gasket while smaller than the Fel-Pro is still too big and doesn't work well either. Niether of these gasjets were cut from factory templates and you are asking for trouble with a 421 if you run them. Jim Butler performance has the correct gaskets that were cut from the original factory and aftermarket plates, please do yourself a favor and call them or PM me your phone number and I will try and help you out. Pontiacs are a different animal and most of your Chevy/Ford gurus can get you in trouble quick when trying to set you up with Pontiac parts.

SmokinLowriderSS
10-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Good call Dawg. I had no idea there was a parts miss-fit. I thought we were just dealing in gasket quality opinion. :smile:

YeLLowBoaT
10-08-2005, 03:27 PM
really 4.300 damn thats almost a little more then a 1/4 inch over my actually bore size. Other then the head gasket is every thing else ok??? in the felpor set. I did some looking at BP and I am not sure if I want to run a copper gasket or not ( I have no exp with them) I know sce makes some steel gaskets that are in the 4.160 range. to be honest I am still a month away from even thinking about takeing my heads down to rex. I really just need the kit so that I can put the bottem back toeghter and get it off my work bench.

DeputyDawg
10-08-2005, 05:13 PM
You do not have to run a copper gasket if you go with Butler Performance, they have regular gaskets too that are made from the original PMD templates, you just have to call them. They have good prices too. The rest of the gaskets are pretty much okay except for the lifter valley tray gasket, I would also get it from them. If you haven't already bought any of your gaskets give them a call they can hook you up with the right stuff and good prices. I you need any help putting a combo together with that 421 let me know. What heads are you running?

YeLLowBoaT
10-08-2005, 05:42 PM
65 factory 421 ho heads 69cc 1.920 intak 1.66 ext I still need to have a valve job done... been depating on goint to roller rockers vs the stock standed models. I will probly need new valves and springs since it set for 17 years. every thing looked new when I opened it up other then were water got into the cylinders.

EXTREMEBOATS
10-08-2005, 10:43 PM
:supp: For what its worth, Felpro has been my favorite. But have used Victor lots also. Both companies IMO have great stuff. But based on application have had some thing to fit my needs that were IMO better. . I dont think you will be dissapointed with either.
Mike :idea:

DeputyDawg
10-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Hey YeLLowBoaT, if you have the funds go with the roller rockers that Butler sells, they also have stainless valves for those heads at $10.00 a piece should you want to go that route.

maddogeast
10-09-2005, 04:49 PM
don't forget to order a new viton rear main seal,,or you will just get a new rope seal in the gasket set. and they start to leak pretty soon. the new seal has been available for poncho's for a few years now,maybe 10.