PDA

View Full Version : Anybody recognize this pump?

Scarab Jet
10-07-2005, 01:06 PM
- It is a set-back pump with 2 zerk fittings, which tells me that there are two thrust bearings in it! I've looked at the pictures of all of the popular jets, including Berkeley, Aggressor, Dominator, Legend, AT, etc. and everyone that I have seen only has one zerk fitting and therefore one thrust bearing. So, why 2?
- You'll notice that both zerk fittings are on the side of the pump which is unusual since most that I've seen have them on top.
- And what are those 4 holes on the top of the housing for? You'll notice that one of them has a bolt in it already but the other 3 don't!
- Also, can anybody tell me (by looking at the picture) what sort of a packing gland this pump uses? It doesn't look like the typical one used in Berkeley (which has the tightening bolt to keep it from leaking too much) and this one doesn't have any bolts.
Any thoughts/insights would be appreciated...
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/276U-joint_and_pump_big_.jpg

Duane HTP
10-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Give us a picture of the back side of it. I think I know what it is.

Scarab Jet
10-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Give us a picture of the back side of it. I think I know what it is.
Here U go, Duane... Please keep in mind that the bowl itself (as I am sure you can already tell) is a Legend that was retrofited to fit this pump (you'll notice the black spacer between the bowl and the set-back part of the pump).
By the way, why did they have to use the spacer?
Thanx in advance...
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/276DSCF0040.JPG

sdba069
10-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Looks awful early Berk/ Dominator (12TD) from the rear, but looks like one of the old Chrysler pumps from the front. Has a diverter on it. That spacer ring may be an adapter to get from whatever it is to the Berkeley / Dominator bowl. The 2 holes in the top rear of the bowl are to far back for the old Berkeley bowl, so it's probably a Dominator bowl that someone has modified. Duane, what do you think?

blender over
10-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Looks like something that sucks and blows :yuk:

Duane HTP
10-07-2005, 04:57 PM
I thought at first that it was an old Buhler jet. But after seeing the back side, I know it's not. It looks a lot like the early Screaming Eagle, but I don't think they had that kind of hand hole cover. I really don't know. It is definitely a Legend bowl. Where's American Turbine Man? He may know.

Scarab Jet
10-23-2005, 04:58 PM
ttt...

Oldsquirt
10-23-2005, 05:46 PM
From the last pic you put up of the exterior of pump, it looks kind of similar to a Legend. It also looks like an "insert" pump not a "set-back". Is there a separate intake that the suction housing mounts to or is the pump bolted and epoxied to a specially molded hull bottom that serves as the intake?
From threads I read here in the past, I seem to recall that Legend was developing a pump with Volvo-Penta for this application. Perhaps this pump is the Volvo-Penta JPX that came about from that project.

Scarab Jet
03-31-2006, 08:42 AM
From the last pic you put up of the exterior of pump, it looks kind of similar to a Legend. It also looks like an "insert" pump not a "set-back". Is there a separate intake that the suction housing mounts to or is the pump bolted and epoxied to a specially molded hull bottom that serves as the intake?
From threads I read here in the past, I seem to recall that Legend was developing a pump with Volvo-Penta for this application. Perhaps this pump is the Volvo-Penta JPX that came about from that project.
Not sure what you mean... The suction piece is all one piece. I am also trying to figure out why the two zerk fittings... does it mean that there are two thrust bearings instead of one? and if so, why the over-engineering as all the ones that I have seen only have one thrust bearing...
thanx in advance...
Mike...

Oldsquirt
03-31-2006, 09:02 AM
Not sure what you mean... The suction piece is all one piece. ...
There are 2 basic styles of pump. The most common has an intake casting that mounts through the bottom of a conventially shaped hull. The pump mounts on top of that intake and extends through the transom. The second is the "insert" style. In this applicaton, the intake for the pump is molded as part of the hull using a special insert in the mold. The pump is then bolted and glued to an opening in the transom. This is what you have.
I am also trying to figure out why the two zerk fittings... does it mean that there are two thrust bearings instead of one? and if so, why the over-engineering as all the ones that I have seen only have one thrust bearing...
thanx in advance...
Mike...
Looks like there is a zerk at the front right and another at the left rear of the thrust bearing housing. Perhaps, instead of using a single double-row thrust bearing, they used two single-row bearings. Just a guess.....
Since it resembles a Legend jet in many ways, why not contact them and see what they know?Legend Jet Drives (http://www.legendjet.com/)