PDA

View Full Version : CST lift or Fabtech lift ???

WetWillie
10-07-2005, 10:07 PM
I am getting the truck all dolled up. I wanted a 6" CST lift with 35"s but the dealer is making the hard push on the Fabtech. Said it has less moving parts and does not need as much service. Like tightening and retightening of parts.. I told him its going to be more of a street truck and tow vehicle and he swears by the Fabtech. He also said its cheaper!!! So its not the hard sale..
I have alsways planned to go with the CST but wanted to hear if Fabtech has come out with a better lift??
Thoughts oppinion are appreciated..

havasujoe93
10-07-2005, 10:09 PM
I am getting the truck all dolled up. I wanted a 6" CST lift with 35"s but the dealer is making the hard push on the Fabtech. Said it has less moving parts and does not need as much service. Like tightening and retightening of parts.. I told him its going to be more of a street truck and tow vehicle and he swears by the Fabtech. He also said its cheaper!!! So its not the hard sale..
I have alsways planned to go with the CST but wanted to hear if Fabtech has come out with a better lift??
Go with the CST lift, all around a better lift than Fabtech. What is it going on????

Wonderboy
10-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Fabtech has deffinitely come a long way and they are stepping up their game. But the CST is deffinitely a better lift, if you're actually going to use it. If it's mainly going to be used on the street I would deffinitely save your money and go with Fabtech.

10-07-2005, 10:12 PM
sent you an e mail

INSman
10-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Might be worth mentioning that you have a 2005 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 and unless Fabtech has changed something drastically to their 6" kit for the Chevy/GMC's, CST is the way to go.
I have seen the newest 6" Fabtech kit on a Ford that looks great and H20toie here on the boards loves it, but you ain't got no Ford son, luckily !!!!

havasujoe93
10-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Might be worth mentioning that you have a 2005 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 and unless Fabtech has changed something drastically to their 6" kit for the Chevy/GMC's, CST is the way to go.
I have seen the newest 6" Fabtech kit on a Ford that looks great and H20toie here on the boards loves it, but you ain't got no Ford son, luckily !!!!
My friends got the same set up, and loves his CST lift. The truck rides like stock. I haven't heard much about the Fabtech lift. Just going from experience.

WetWillie
10-07-2005, 10:26 PM
I dont like the fact that I have to tighten something on a regualr basis but in that end that might be the nature of the beast.
Its going on a 05 Chevy Silvrado 2500HD 4X

WetWillie
10-07-2005, 10:27 PM
sent you an e mail
try tekworks@san.rr.com

Magic34
10-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Call Barry at Custom Motorsports in Riverside and tell him I sent you.
He'll take good care of you and he knows his stuff.

MagicMtnDan
10-08-2005, 07:53 AM
I wouldn't recommend Fabtech to anyone. :220v:

sigepmock
10-08-2005, 08:19 AM
There is absolutely nothing on the CST lift that needs extra tighening that the Fabtech kit does not have!!! Please read my response in Cats and Tunnels. CST is the way to go. If you are set on a spindle lift please use the RCD lift and stay away from Fabtech.
Chris

ParkerRat
10-08-2005, 08:33 AM
I had the 8" Fabtech on my last truck (02, 2500HD, 4x4) and it was ok. Wasn’t real impressed with Fabtech as a company though. Not real helpful when I contacted them a few times with steering problems. I am looking at the CST 9-11" Lift for my new truck (06, 2500HD 4x4, Diesel). I had Adam at Wired for Sound quote it. I also talked to the Guys at TAG motor sports on the 8" Fabtech (8" is as big as they go). They said they don’t sell the CST because they don’t like the steering setup. Anyone else heard anything about this?
So far I think I am going with the 9-11" CST and maybe add the Fabtech steering kit. Anyone know if they will work together? I think the steering upgrade is a must since I went through 3 sets of Idler and Pitman arms on my last truck. The consensus here and from everyone I have talked to seems to be that CST is the best lift out there

dossangers
10-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Ive had 2 RCD kits on hd 2500's it is the only way to go very hi quality all black armor powdercoat and all grade 8 hardware no alingment problems! my 2 cents. :) :)

sigepmock
10-08-2005, 08:45 AM
Parkerrat, CST makes a great kit but if I was going to go that big I'd definately look at Cognito Motorsorts lifts too. I personnaly like the CST steering set-up but I'm only running the 6-8" kit. Cognito makes a great sterring upgrade that I used with my RCD 6" lift on my last truck. Justin the owner was great to talk with, even made me some custom upper a-arms for a very good price. Quality workmanship, great attitude, and they knew there stuff....no BS which is a big deal to me since I have an engineering degree and can usually smell the BS a mile away.
It's a little far but call Jason Riley at Rancho Motorsports in Ontario(10 & a5 fwy meet) or try Jared at Outlaw Offroad in Irvine (949)581-5001. Both guys know there stuff and won't sell you something you don't need. I've worked with both and had great experiences.
Good luck,
Chris Mock

Deano
10-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Call Barry at Custom Motorsports in Riverside and tell him I sent you.
He'll take good care of you and he knows his stuff.
I just bought the 20s off his truck. The guys over there know their shit and take care of the customers. (have you seen the f650 their building? very badass! even a 4x4 to boot)
I have a 8" Fabtech lift on my truck (2500hd/duramax) and was replacing the idler/pitmans every 5,000 miles. They finally came out with the steering kit that fixes the problem and I havent had any since. BUT, its an extra 500.00 or so on top of the lift kit price.
If I did it all over again, I would throw away the independent and go with a dana 60 and bags all the way around. Pretty spendy going that route though....just go with the CST.

djunkie
10-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Anytime you alter the suspension via lift kit or lowering you are gonna need to retighten it sometime. I'd go with the CST. Seems like a lot of people who like theirs. If you don't want to have to worry about tightening it or squeeks and rattles (which will happen over time) leave it stock. :smile:

Deano
10-08-2005, 09:03 AM
So far I think I am going with the 9-11" CST and maybe add the Fabtech steering kit. Anyone know if they will work together?
yes, it will. Pretty nice set up going that route. ;)

ParkerRat
10-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Thanks for all the help It's sure is nice to be able to get some other opinions

Deano
10-08-2005, 09:47 AM
The cool thing about the CST is, it uses that rack up front to actually drop/reduce the angles of the steering, but the tie rod ball joints are left in their stock location, on the bottom which doesnt get rid of all the angle.
Fabtech lifts bring the tie rod ends over the top. This reduces the angle, but not as much as the CST.
If you are going with the CST and using the Fabtech steering upgrade, do not get rid of the lowering rack of the CST. Just combine the two and it is pretty much bullet proof.
Im not that hard on my truck, but I have a friend with a 8" CST lift on the same truck and he absolutely beats the shit out of it in glamis (he thinks its a sand rail) and it still runs down the road solid and straight.
Good luck.

sigepmock
10-08-2005, 10:05 AM
I went with the CST 6-8" lift and SoCal Supertrucks heavy duty tie rods, that work with the CST lift, so far so good.
Here's a bad pic but you can see how it all lines up and how large the tie rods and heim joints are.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495front_shock2-med.JPG
Here's another pic of the same set-up with slightly more expensive shocks :2purples:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495shockhoops-med.JPG

ADAM GARCIA
10-08-2005, 01:49 PM
cst is way better lift min cutting of the truck. the best stering set up out there .would not use any kit but cst on a chevy. call me for a price we will take care of it.thanks WIRED FOR SOUND 951-696-2200

onetallhd
10-08-2005, 07:16 PM
I have had my CST lift(6-8" Kit w/ 37" tires) on my truck for 3 yrs. now and absolutly no problems!! My friend had the Fabtech and had nothing but problems. I got mine done at Gary's Sporttruck in Ontario. They did an excellent job!

PHOTOGLOU
10-08-2005, 07:29 PM
I dont like the fact that I have to tighten something on a regualr basis but in that end that might be the nature of the beast.
Its going on a 05 Chevy Silvrado 2500HD 4X
Where'd you get the truck???????????/ What dealer is selling you on the parts??????????? OK now my personal experiance..... Fabtech I have used on 2 vehicles BOTH broke ball joints when off roading ( I was being tough on the truck) CST never used so I don't know..... You should have bought my last truck...... Fabtech's worked great around town in normal driving situations.......

INSman
10-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Yeah, where did he get the truck ??!!?? WTF ?? :confused: :D
Selman is the ONLY dealer for Chevy's to HB members ;)

Boa1277
10-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Here you go check out this one for sale looks like a pretty good deal to me maybe someone who owns one of these kits can tell you
www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/trader/atl.cgi?ct=2&md=second&id=23732

Ultrafied
10-08-2005, 10:43 PM
I used the CST 6" on my truck. 2 1/2 years, 42k miles, no problems (no tightening, etc.). I would definitely recommend the CST kit over the Fabtech. 2 of my friends have the Fabtech and both have had their ball joints replaced because of the strain. Might be the exception though. Just food for thought.

Mr. Crusader 83
10-09-2005, 05:55 AM
Do Not Use Fabtech....... I Have Had The Fabtech 7in Lift On My Truck For 6 Months And I Hate It. Im Switching To Cst.... Fabtech Lifts Always Come Loose. Hes Lieing To You Because They Can Mark Fabtech Up. Cst Is Alot Of Money But Worth It. But Im Sad To Say That You Will Not Be Able To Fit 35s With A 7in Lift.
On My Truck I Have A 7in Lift And A 3in Body Lift And It Still Rubbed On The Bumper. Had To Cut It Back.
If You Have A Gmc Or Chevy Call
Tag Motorsports In Escondido Ca. They Will Do The Lift And It Will Still Be Covered Under You Factory Warr. They Are Owned By Chevy, Gmc.

cc322
10-09-2005, 06:07 AM
OK the majority say get the CST I would agree, even though I am strictly a Ford guy therefore I use Donahoe Racing kit. Seems like the CST kit is to GM as the DR kit is to Ford. Your other option is sell the Gm buy a Ford with a straight axel and go Donahoe ;) seriously my brotherinlaw loves GMC has a Superlift and hates it, said he would never lift another GM truck. That is just his opinion and you know what they say about that, go CST.

HOSS
10-09-2005, 06:17 AM
If only for street use "show and go" then Fabtech will be ok and you will save alot of money. If you plan to go off road even once,,,the Fabtech kit WILL fail. Fabtech is made for the off road look but the engineering or material is not designed for strenght and durability.

Mr. Crusader 83
10-09-2005, 06:21 AM
Sell The Chevy And Buy A Ford ! ! ! ! Did I Hear That Right?
I Would Rather Push A Chevy Then Drive A Ford!!
Cst Is More $$$ The Long Travel Kit Is $2800. You Get 14in Of Travel And It Comes With Coilovers....
On My Fabtech Lift Im Going To Cut The Buckets Off For The Stock Springs And Put In A Coilover. I Hate The Way Fabtech Rides.. Like A Semi....
Spend The Money And Go Cst You Will Be Happy....

dicudmore
10-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Anytime you alter the suspension via lift kit or lowering you are gonna need to retighten it sometime. I'd go with the CST. Seems like a lot of people who like theirs. If you don't want to have to worry about tightening it or squeeks and rattles (which will happen over time) leave it stock. :smile:
That is the best advice yet...
Guys, I am a GMC dealership service director and can not tell you how many POS lifted trucks come in here with chit falling off the front suspension to the point the damn truck is dangerous... Hubs coming apart, pitman and idler arm problems, gear box problems etc etc etc... We don't have these problems on STOCK trucks. The wheel offset is a big deal too, the wrong offset really loads the front hub bearings and tears them up.

Charley
10-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Stop Pussin big man.... go with the CST 9-12 and get the 38" Toyos.... Otherwise a guy half yer size will be pulling up next to you and not only will I be looking down on you, I will be able to see your wife's RACK!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38Truckchev060.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38Truckchev056.jpg
SHHHH don't tell Carl(sandbar Junkies)but I have an extra one of these sitting at my office too!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38Bro_Jo_hospital_066.jpg

Mr. Crusader 83
10-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Guys, I am a GMC dealership service director and can not tell you how many POS lifted trucks come in here with chit falling off the front suspension to the point the damn truck is dangerous... Hubs coming apart, pitman and idler arm problems, gear box problems etc etc etc... We don't have these problems on STOCK trucks. The wheel offset is a big deal too, the wrong offset really loads the front hub bearings and tears them up.
yeah i have problems with my wheel bearings all the time. i have had the fabtech lift on my truck for about 6-7 months and have been through 3 wheels bearings (all driverside) at $305 a pop. then not to mention after i put the lift and wheels and tires on i had to have the rear end redone. $1700 with posi. it cost me $5000 total. and thats the highest i can go on a 2 wheel drive. and what still sucks is Charley can see my chicks rack when he drives by ... lol :mad:

Charley
10-09-2005, 08:10 PM
and what still sucks is Charley can see my chicks rack when he drives by ... lol :mad:
I may have found my calling in life ;)

SoCalHD
10-09-2005, 09:20 PM
yeah i have problems with my wheel bearings all the time. i have had the fabtech lift on my truck for about 6-7 months and have been through 3 wheels bearings (all driverside) at $305 a pop. then not to mention after i put the lift and wheels and tires on i had to have the rear end redone. $1700 with posi. it cost me $5000 total. and thats the highest i can go on a 2 wheel drive. and what still sucks is Charley can see my chicks rack when he drives by ... lol :mad:
Crusader83-You could fix that. My younger brother has the Bulletproof Suspension 14" lift on his 00 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd. He is running 38's. I have the 6" CST with a few upgrades on my 02 4x4 2500HD-I have had the lift on for almost a year with zero problems. I am running 37x12.50 tires with no rubbing-and yes, it has been offroad several times.

BadKachina
10-09-2005, 09:21 PM
I hate to say it because I love GM products too, but if you want a lifted truck with 8 or 10 or more inches of lift you need a straight axle. If not just get a 4/6" lift and be happy. If you must go big buy a Superduty with a full floating axel and you wont have any of these problems. I've had my Excursion with a Powerstroke for 80k now, 10" lift with 39" tires. No ball joints, no broken tie rod ends, absolutely no problems except replacing the U joints once. There are many features I like in the Gm's but when it comes to big lifts you can either convert your Gm to a straight axle for big $ or buy a Ford from the get go. Over ten inches in a Ford and you really need to buy a cross over steering kit, that will be your biggest expense with a huge lift.

BadKachina
10-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Crusader83-You could fix that. My younger brother has the Bulletproof Suspension 14" lift on his 00 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd. He is running 38's. I have the 6" CST with a few upgrades on my 02 4x4 2500HD-I have had the lift on for almost a year with zero problems. I am running 37x12.50 tires with no rubbing-and yes, it has been offroad several times.
I can imagine that little tiny ten bolt rearend with 38's on it. That's like running an alpha with a 525, not a matter of if it will go but when.

SoCalHD
10-09-2005, 10:11 PM
I can imagine that little tiny ten bolt rearend with 38's on it. That's like running an alpha with a 525, not a matter of if it will go but when.
I know-that is why I have a HD with the full floating 14 bolt with just 37's!!! I like knowing my stuff isan't an accident waiting to happen! And believe me, I have tried to tell him-but what do I know. I just the idiot older brother!!! :hammer2:

Mr. Crusader 83
10-10-2005, 02:27 AM
dont get me wrong i love my truck... i just hate the fact that im $5000 into it and those shit ass fords roll up and there 2 feet taller...... damn straight axels..... anyways im looking at a bigger lift so i can fit 20's on 38's....

SoCalHD
10-10-2005, 08:03 AM
dont get me wrong i love my truck... i just hate the fact that im $5000 into it and those shit ass fords roll up and there 2 feet taller...... damn straight axels..... anyways im looking at a bigger lift so i can fit 20's on 38's....
There was a guy around the corner from me that had a white 1/2 ton 2wd that had the Bulletproof 14" suspension lift, the 4" CST spindles, and a 3" body lift-he was clearing 42"s EASILY. That thing was frickin tall!!!!!
The Bulletproof 14" lift would allow you to run 38's on 20's easy on your truck.

meaniam
10-10-2005, 09:34 AM
jesus truck that are part of the mile high club look great. and i would love to join it. but hell i heard the chp will issue tickets for anything too high. i dont know how high is to high. but i would bet money on me driving a lifted truck higher then 6 in, i would make it one day on the 330 toward running spring without finding out. and isnt it normal for chevy ball joints to get sloppy after 80k miles.

dicudmore
10-10-2005, 09:38 AM
jesus truck that are part of the mile high club look great. and i would love to join it. but hell i heard the chp will issue tickets for anything too high. i dont know how high is to high. but i would bet money on me driving a lifted truck higher then 6 in, i would make it one day on the 330 toward running spring without finding out. and isnt it normal for chevy ball joints to get sloppy after 80k miles.
sure it is...when they're lifted ;)

dicudmore
10-10-2005, 09:52 AM
If You Have A Gmc Or Chevy Call
Tag Motorsports In Escondido Ca. They Will Do The Lift And It Will Still Be Covered Under You Factory Warr. They Are Owned By Chevy, Gmc.
This is false... GM Policy and Procedures manual states that if a part normally covered under the mfg warranty fails due to the use of an aftermarket component or accessory the repair is not covered under the new vehicle warranty.

Mr. Crusader 83
10-10-2005, 10:38 AM
This is false... GM Policy and Procedures manual states that if a part normally covered under the mfg warranty fails due to the use of an aftermarket component or accessory the repair is not covered under the new vehicle warranty.
SORRY dicudmore BUT YOUR WRONG. CALL THEM. TAG MOTORSPORTS IS OWNED BY NORTH COUNTY JEEP GMC. THEY WILL INSTALL A LIFT AND COVER IT UNDER WARRENTEE. ONE OF MY GOOD FRIENDS BOUGHT A 05 GMC QUAD CAB 1500. HAD IT LIFTED THERE FOR THAT FACT. CALL THEM..
TAG MOTORSPORTS (760)741-9300 THIS WILL ONLY WORK IF YOU BOUGHT YOUR TRUCK FROM A DEALER.

Mr. Crusader 83
10-10-2005, 10:45 AM
There was a guy around the corner from me that had a white 1/2 ton 2wd that had the Bulletproof 14" suspension lift, the 4" CST spindles, and a 3" body lift-he was clearing 42"s EASILY. That thing was frickin tall!!!!!
The Bulletproof 14" lift would allow you to run 38's on 20's easy on your truck.
thanks man im going to check into that....
and yes guys chp does have a law for how high you can be... the law states that the head lights can not exceed 48 from the ground to the center of the head lights. but to tell you guys the truth. i have had lowered cars, bagged mini trucks until now. and chp loves to pop guys for being to low. the only ticket i have gotten being lifted now was out pass indio on the 10 for mud flaps by chp... bastards

meaniam
10-11-2005, 05:46 AM
the warrenty thing is true. your factory warrenty can be voided. if the possibilty of the part failing or accelerated wear by installing aftermarket parts. the catch is when a dealership installs your lift they chose to warrenty parts and labor themselfs. if you buy a lifted truck from a dealership. your best bet will be to take your truck back to the dealership that modified the truck for any repairs. or take risk of warrenty being void and cost of repair and diagonostics being absorbed by your pocket book.

dicudmore
10-11-2005, 06:56 AM
SORRY dicudmore BUT YOUR WRONG. CALL THEM. TAG MOTORSPORTS IS OWNED BY NORTH COUNTY JEEP GMC. THEY WILL INSTALL A LIFT AND COVER IT UNDER WARRENTEE. ONE OF MY GOOD FRIENDS BOUGHT A 05 GMC QUAD CAB 1500. HAD IT LIFTED THERE FOR THAT FACT. CALL THEM..
TAG MOTORSPORTS (760)741-9300 THIS WILL ONLY WORK IF YOU BOUGHT YOUR TRUCK FROM A DEALER.
Who is covering the warranty? The outfitter of the aftermarket components?? I guarantee you that GM does not warranty suspension components or drivetrain on modified vehicles...
If you missed my earlier post, I am the Service Director at a GMC dealer, I'm pretty familiar with "General Motors Policies and Procedures." In fact I have a copy on my desk in book form and on CD.
There are occasions where I will deviate from the policy and "take care" of a lifted truck but of course thats only when I think its a good business decision (such as the person bought and maintains the vehicle with my dealer) or its a friend type of deal... Of course, none of these "goodwill" situations happen anywhere close to when my factory rep is scheduled to visit as the factory would hang me by the balls if they saw warranty suspension/steering repairs on a modified vehicle...