PDA

View Full Version : CST lift or Fabtech lift ???

WetWillie
10-07-2005, 10:09 PM
I am getting the truck all dolled up. I wanted a 6" CST lift with 35"s but the dealer is making the hard push on the Fabtech. Said it has less moving parts and does not need as much service. Like tightening and retightening of parts.. I told him its going to be more of a street truck and tow vehicle and he swears by the Fabtech. He also said its cheaper!!! So its not the hard sale..
I have alsways planned to go with the CST but wanted to hear if Fabtech has come out with a better lift??
Thoughts oppinion are appreciated..

Havasu Hangin'
10-08-2005, 04:12 AM
I've got a Fab-Tech 6" lift...zero problems to date, and probably a couple hundred dollars cheaper.
The shop told me that all the smaller lifts are pretty much the same...just a different finish.

SummerObsession
10-08-2005, 06:19 AM
I've had my Fab-tech for nearly 3 years and 50k + miles. No issues with the lift so far (6").
I was told to keep a close eye on the factory steering, as it is not made for the additional stress of big tires. So far, no issues.
I think there are higher-tch kits out there, but mine seems to ride and handle great!
I initially went with 35" tires on 17's, but when they wore out I changed to 37". Will go back to 35"s next time, to much sway in the rear due to large sidewall towing big loads.

OGShocker
10-08-2005, 06:49 AM
We have been running a CST 6" with 65,000 miles on the lift. I have had zero problems with the set up. The guy to call is Steve @ Accessory House, 909 621 5953. He is the #1 CST guy in So Cal. Tell him you heard it from "Dana Mark" in the HBF. He'll give you the straight scoop.

Reaper1
10-08-2005, 06:49 AM
Cst

ChumpChange
10-08-2005, 06:53 AM
My Fabtech lift sucks. Sucks! Sucks! Sucks!
Had steering shaft problems, cracked control arms because of the angles it put them in, mutilated my bushings.
There are only three things I can blame: Chevy, Fabtech, or Garys Lift Shop. In speaking with other lift shops, may put the blame on Fabtech.
Do a search in the Sandbar on Fabtech. There have been some threads about them in the past.

ChumpChange
10-08-2005, 06:54 AM
The guy to call is Steve @ Accessory House, 909 621 5953. He is the #1 CST guy in So Cal.
Agreed. I'm taking one of my freinds there this afternoon to talk to Steve for this exact lift.

Tom Slick
10-08-2005, 07:16 AM
CST all the way...Call So. Cal Super Trucks in San Bernardino.

sigepmock
10-08-2005, 08:02 AM
First off STAY AWAY FROM GARY'S!!!!!!!!!!!!
Second comparing CST to Fabtech is a little tricky, they are both lifts but that's about all they have in common. The Fabtech lift is often called a "spindle lift", the lift is accomplished by dropping the front differential in a subframe approximately 3 1/2 inches and the rest of the lift is accomplished by dropping the lower control arms at et the front wheels and using a longer spindle. Most of the type of lifts actually only get you about 5" of lift. They leave the stock upper a-arms in place. Some of the issues with these lifts are greater CV wear caused by the increase in CV angles, the stock upper a-arms use pressed in ball joints that can work their way loose under heavy loads, these lifts do nothing to control the added leverage the larger tires put on the sterring components, Chevies are notorious for weak idle/pitman arms, I have seen them wear out and take the wheel bearings out in as little as 15,000 miles, and finally the longer spindles actually offset the front wheels outward about an inch, increasing the front wheel track width, basically the front wheels stick out farther than the back wheels.
The CST lift is a full front diff drop type lift, both upper and lower a-arms are dropped down and the front diff is dropped a full 6". You will get at least a 6" lift with this kit, the track width is kept the same, the drop down steering set up is designed to allivate the added wear on the stock steering parts and heim joints are used all around. You can get a CST upper A-arm with dual shock mounts and a bolt in Moog ball joints, and overall it's a heavier duty lift.
I have run both types and I prefer the CST. I ran an RCD(very similar to the fabtech but better quality IMO) lift on the last truck and I ended up having to add a pitman/idle support kits, buy new upper a-arms because the ball joints came loose, and service the CV's every 25,000 miles.
I guess the best way to put it is do you want a DCB or a Commander???? :D
Chris

UnionJack
10-08-2005, 08:08 AM
What about bulletproofsuspension.com? Grasspays has there 6" lift and loves it. I have there 12" and it is great. I am putting there 6" on my new truck

Magic34
10-08-2005, 08:16 AM
What about bulletproofsuspension.com? Grasspays has there 6" lift and loves it. I have there 12" and it is great. I am putting there 6" on my new truck
Bulletproof is almost the same as CST.
Call Barry at Custom Motorsports

ChumpChange
10-08-2005, 08:19 AM
Some of the issues with these lifts are greater CV wear caused by the increase in CV angles, the stock upper a-arms use pressed in ball joints that can work their way loose under heavy loads, these lifts do nothing to control the added leverage the larger tires put on the sterring components, Chevies are notorious for weak idle/pitman arms, I have seen them wear out and take the wheel bearings out in as little as 15,000 miles, and finally the longer spindles actually offset the front wheels outward about an inch, increasing the front wheel track width, basically the front wheels stick out farther than the back wheels.
Chris
All this happened to me. Fortunately, my wheel bearings lasted til 37,000 miles, just long enough for Chevy to give me grief about being out of warranty.

sigepmock
10-08-2005, 08:25 AM
All this happened to me. Fortunately, my wheel bearings lasted til 37,000 miles, just long enough for Chevy to give me grief about being out of warranty.
Sorry to hear this Matt. I have a very good friend that happens to own a lift shop that could have saved you some $$$ and greif. Congarats on the house in Claremont.
And even though he didn't buy WetWillie's boat and went back to Eliminator :hammer2: :D .....he still does some very nice work. I have pimped him out a hundred times on here but if you want his name and number I'll put it up again.
Chris

Reaper1
10-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Sorry to hear this Matt. I have a very good friend that happens to own a lift shop that could have saved you some $$$ and greif. Congarats on the house in Claremont.
And even though he didn't buy WetWillie's boat and went back to Eliminator :hammer2: :D .....he still does some very nice work. I have pimped him out a hundred times on here but if you want his name and number I'll put it up again.
Chris
Rancho Motorsports - Jason
909-390-9722 ;)

INSman
10-08-2005, 09:11 AM
We have been running a CST 6" with 65,000 miles on the lift. I have had zero problems with the set up. The guy to call is Steve @ Accessory House, 909 621 5953. He is the #1 CST guy in So Cal. Tell him you heard it from "Dana Mark" in the HBF. He'll give you the straight scoop.
Same truck,same great results, same kit, same installer !!!!!!!
Get the CST and make sure to give Steve at the Accessory House a chance at your business :D

Mike Schmidt
10-08-2005, 01:57 PM
I installed the Fabtech, and the front end didn't 15K, had to replace the works.

Charley
10-08-2005, 08:38 PM
I was told the CST is a more true 6" lift and by what sigmpock just explained it makes perfect sense.... seems as if Fabtech does the lift without a consideration for the CV angles..... What about the RCD lift? is that a fabtech "like" lift or more like the CST?
by the way willie.... here is a 6" CST with 37" X 13.50 Mickeys.... not a bad look and no rubbing going on here. I was P hair close to going with this set up but really wanted the 38" Toyos... which I needed the 9" lift to get.... I have No regret
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3832_2_mt.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3836MT.jpg

WetWillie
10-09-2005, 09:18 PM
I have a white Chevy.... Maybe just diffrent rims! What shocks is he running on that?? Looks pretty clean and saves money!!

Kilrtoy
10-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Hey CHARLEY
minus the rimes and tires, how much was that lift on that white truck...

Charley
10-10-2005, 07:10 AM
I honestly don't know how much on the white truck but the guy I used is Jim Imzz of Imzz Indutries... he is a younger guy, his own shop, been doing it a while..was a seedling of donoho racing, did good work...was a little slow finishing the truck, but in all fairness I told him I had another truck to drive and I wasn't in a hurry...but I was very pleased with his service and follow up.
Address: Imzz Industries
155 Arovista Circle
Brea, CA 92821
Phone: 714.674.0072
Fax: 714.674.0077
http://www.imzzindustries.com/

SoCalHD
10-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Hey CHARLEY
minus the rimes and tires, how much was that lift on that white truck...
Kilrtoy-Since I don't see the dual shock mounts on the front, I would say that 2000 for the lift kit, and about 550 to install. I had mine done at SoCalSupertrucks-which is the shop that used to be California SuperTrucks. Now CST, the suspension side is in Riverside(only making lifts-no install) and the shop is still in San Bernardino. The shop has been installing the lift since it came out in 1999. If you have the D-Max(which you do) you don't need the replacement front driveshaft. The only thing the white truck might have that I can't see in the pic is the replacement upper a-arms with the uniballs which are about 700. Hope this helps.

Kilrtoy
10-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Kilrtoy-Since I don't see the dual shock mounts on the front, I would say that 2000 for the lift kit, and about 550 to install. I had mine done at SoCalSupertrucks-which is the shop that used to be California SuperTrucks. Now CST, the suspension side is in Riverside(only making lifts-no install) and the shop is still in San Bernardino. The shop has been installing the lift since it came out in 1999. If you have the D-Max(which you do) you don't need the replacement front driveshaft. The only thing the white truck might have that I can't see in the pic is the replacement upper a-arms with the uniballs which are about 700. Hope this helps.
Thank you very much, that helped out alot...

SummerObsession
10-11-2005, 07:25 AM
Has anyone switched their lifts from Fabtech to CST? Is there all that much involved?
I have had no issues with the Fabtech, but I HATE the fact the front tires stick out so damn far! I have the rock ships to prove it!
I would like to switch out the lifts and find some decent looking mud/rock flaps, but I can't seem to find any. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

sigepmock
10-11-2005, 07:45 AM
Has anyone switched their lifts from Fabtech to CST? Is there all that much involved?
I have had no issues with the Fabtech, but I HATE the fact the front tires stick out so damn far! I have the rock ships to prove it!
I would like to switch out the lifts and find some decent looking mud/rock flaps, but I can't seem to find any. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Not 100% sure on this but I think it would be a pretty involved task to switch from the Fabtech(spindle lift) to the CST. The Fabtech has you cut part of the frame and the back mount off the front diff. I'm not sure if you can make the switch without replacing some of the cut off parts. Try giving Jason Riley 909-390-9722 a call and see what he says, he would know for sure.
Good luck,
Chris

Patyacht
10-13-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm getting ready to buy that next tow rig in prep for my next boat. Looking seriously at a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel Quad Cab 4x4 Short Box and thinking of a 4" lift. Anybody have any pointers since I'm new to lifted trucks.
Thanks in advance.

mbrown2
10-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Go to a 4x4 website and ask that question....the term Fab Trash will be used quite a bit....Fab Tech don't compare to CST; but you pay for it.....It may work on the street, probably not even there (my bro's sucks for tires)...but gonna work like shit in the desert...and I don't mean the dunes...
Your dealers trying to steer you for all the wrong reasons.