PDA

View Full Version : 4 blade vs 3 blade

SupriseSuprise
03-04-2002, 02:40 PM
I have recently upgraded my power by about 65hp via some improved air flow, new ingnition and exhaust. My baja has a true deep vee, looking to add some top end. Do I push the current 3 blade more rpms? Do I get a steeper pitch 3 blade? or do I go to a four blade? Need some advice.

2prop
03-04-2002, 02:47 PM
With my experience your best bet is a three blade (maybe lab finished) because a four blade will cause more drag for top end use a taller three blade ,,,,,,,,what pitch are you using now? and at what rpm's

Maverick
03-04-2002, 03:00 PM
Suprisesprise:
what size are you???
If you are heavy then maybe a four blade. A friend of mine has put lots of horsepower in a 235 and owns a four blade and three blade Mirage.
the four blade clearly lifts the whole boat some, but the three blade is still the fast prop.
I you want more info. I can put you in touch.
Maverick

SupriseSuprise
03-04-2002, 03:02 PM
I have the stock 23degree mirage. Someone said the mirage plus has more cup and is not actually any faster top end? I was thinking of going to a 25 and spend the $$$ on the lab finish.

SupriseSuprise
03-04-2002, 03:04 PM
The boat is a 272- weighs about 4400lbs as listed in spec sheet. I am running in 2-3 foot chop pretty often but have the chance for some flat water occaisionally.

Maverick
03-05-2002, 09:31 AM
Our waters of choice are almost always dead calm. -- The three blade is the fastest by one or two mile per hour.
What are your rpms? I run a stock 25 mirage and show on a great day 4,700 to 4,800 rpms and show about 67 on the gaffrig guage ( which is pretty much dead on with my GPS).
I was wondering what a 23 mirage would produce in rpms and speed.
???????
Maverick

SupriseSuprise
03-05-2002, 11:56 AM
I was getting 4800rpm, and doing about 64mph. After the hp gain, I will go up to 5200+ and 68-69. I think the mph#'s could go up 2-3 if I can swing the lab finish 25. Do you think the rpm's will drop drastically? The trade is lab finish for extra pitch. I would like to stay in the area of 5000. Pretty expensive to simply test!

2prop
03-05-2002, 01:57 PM
Lab finish the 23 three blade ask them to thin and balance the prop it will keep the rpm's up and thus give you top end and good mid range I have used a 23 lab and a 25 lab the 23 worked the best of the two, you don't want to lug the engine it needs to spin freely and quickly,The 25 my too much prop, unless you have ungodly hp ,you have a Baja 272 right Call BAM Marine or look up there web site they give good honest answers, but the 23 is the best prop for the above boat..

Maverick
03-05-2002, 03:11 PM
2prop
O.K. I'll bite. Who are you?
You've either got the gift of gab, or know a hell of a lot more about props than most.
Like - suprise - I'm very interested in a little more speed - I run a 240 outlaw 502 and a 25 mirage - rpms never over 4,800 GPS around 67 plus - on a very good day.
Is the 23 the faster prop?? ---- and, if so, only if "lab" finished??? - who to do the work. Mazco is just down the road from my house, but I am not exactly impressed by the results a friend got after having a new prop "blue printed" - ( he saw pretty much no gain)
Your honest thoughts and sources would be valued....
Maverick

Maverick
03-05-2002, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SupriseSuprise:
[B]I have recently upgraded my power by about 65hp via some improved air flow, new ingnition and exhaust.
Suprise
ARe you EFI? If so what air improvements worked for you, and what exhaust did you choose?
Maverick

SupriseSuprise
03-05-2002, 03:22 PM
Maverick, I grabed a Vortech package which includes an upgraded MSD ignition and comes with a reprogrammed EFI module and lastly adds a adjustable fuel regulator. More air, more fuel, more spark. More bang. Put this with a pair of Imco Power flows and you have bolt on power in the area of 65hp. I think this plus the prop increase should do about 8 mph. Nice lift, gets me over the 70mph mark! About a total of $3500 though!

Maverick
03-05-2002, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SupriseSuprise:
[B]Maverick, I grabed a Vortech...
I know the package, but just haven't popped yet. Did you do it as a single step or did the exhaust come later ( stated differently -- without the exhaust what would you have realized??)
I have also seen that CP Performance has a Hardin Marine flame arrestor that looks HUGE!!!, which I am considering. I already had Mark Boose - boost the computer fuel curve with some improvement, but would like more.
So you actually realized 4-5 mph???? That's a tremendous increase!!!
You have to be very pleased!!
One other step ( if you haven't already done so) is to run the "AC 1" - plug it is a little pricey, but has a tappered and extended tip. The hi-po guys seem to swear by it. My Friend with the 235 with the built 502 - is very pleased with the AC1.
Your speeds are they gps or speedo???
Maverick
[This message has been edited by Maverick (edited March 05, 2002).]

SupriseSuprise
03-06-2002, 12:14 PM
Maverick,
I did my upgrade as a package. The Vortech package is supposed to produce @35hp and the Imco Powerflows will work well with the added fuel and spark. Teague sold me the stuff and suggested 30hp from the headers when combined with the vortech. Thanks for the tip on the plugs, think I will give them a try with some new MSD wires this spring.

2prop
03-06-2002, 03:28 PM
Mav I'm just a boatin guy that really gets into it I have spent a small mint on props and one of my boats has twin 350 mags and it came with 23's and I tryed every combo in the world and the 23 won hands down....... i do have trick 23 i would sell if interested letme now and we'll hook up (IT IS A RIGHT HAND)

Tinkerboater
03-06-2002, 04:03 PM
A good rule is if you are having trouble blowing out on take off or in turns you need a 4 blade prop but you will loose about 2 mph on the top end. If you lab finish the 25 3 blade I think you will be happy. DON'T buy a prop untill you know what rpm and speed you turn the prop you have now.

Maverick
03-06-2002, 05:39 PM
2prop
About the 23, I may be interested. What sort of rpm gain do you see with that over a stock 25 Mirage??
Maverick

playdeep
03-06-2002, 08:56 PM
SS, you might try giving Tom @ Hydromotive a call I have called him several times with prop questoins and he will literally spend an hour on the phone trying to help get you dialed in with the right wheel.My first v-bottom was also a straight V no pad or steps I tried a hydromotive quad4 with a diffuser ring it really made a big difference in all around performance.

2prop
03-09-2002, 09:37 PM
Hey Maverick sorry it took so long to get back to you, I gained 400 rpm's with this blade would not even think about selling them cept I seem too have lost the left side blade and they were a perfect matched set so went back to the drawing board and got a new set thined and balanced.