PDA

View Full Version : Sealants...

Kindsvater Flat
08-10-2003, 08:52 PM
What do you use to seal up your pan gaskets, valve covers, etc....?

Snowboat
08-11-2003, 04:58 AM
Use Moroso Perm-align, vulcanized rubber with a steel core. I use nothing on the valve covers and four dots on the pan corners. Reusable.
[ August 11, 2003, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: Snowboat ]

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-11-2003, 05:56 AM
3M rubber gasket adhesive. okay here's the procedure. only glue one side at a time!!!!apply 'gorilla snot' to pan/valve cover side of gasket and install pan/valve cover and tighten bolts just a hair past finger tight. just enough to apply a little pressure. allow to dry overnight. next morning remove pan/valve cover and apply 'gorilla snot' to gasket and install. tighten bolts barely once again and allow approx. 1 hour before snugging. you will never have a leak again. this stuff is sticky as hell.
Omega

Snowboat
08-11-2003, 06:43 AM
Buy good gaskets once or buy new ones every time you need to inspect your valvetrain.

BK
08-11-2003, 07:52 AM
Ultra black on intake manifold and pan. Steel core valve cover gaskets, ive had them on my BBC for 4 years and never had a leak after removing the covers countless times, worth the 40-50 bucks.

MoparSanger
08-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Most of my gaskets get Ultra black RTV, but I install the valve covers gaskets dry for valve ajustment. You just need good valve covers And I like the cork gasket.

Infomaniac
08-11-2003, 08:42 PM
I glue the stock gaskets down with Permatex High Tack. It dries as soon as you brush it on. Put the gasket on with this.
It will be OK for as long as you need. Even if a day or two later.
I use silicone on the other side of the gasket. A small bead.
I use this on all gaskets but the head gasket and valve cover gaskets.