PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Polish

Slick
04-08-2002, 09:59 AM
Any suggestions from the Peanut Gallery on polish or compound? My valve covers as well as the oil pan are very dull and have some calcium/hard water deposits on them. The tarnish (is that right) is very stubborn and doesn't want to come out with standard polish.

Boater Bill
04-08-2002, 11:06 AM
Slick, I just tried some Wenol on my aluminum vc's and although it won't get the etched in stains off it seemed to do a good job for the small area I tried. My buddy swears by simicrome but you can't find it anymore. I ordered the Wenol thru Summit. Another product I've heard about but never tried is called Flitz. They have a website if you're interested. I've tried all polishes since changing from chrome to aluminum and just haven't found anything that works real well by hand.

69 Elim
04-08-2002, 11:51 AM
my vote is for Wenol and have been polishing quite a few things by hand lately. just use a good quality pollishing rag (diaper) - not terry cloth as it will scratch. I have been pollishing stuff that was once pollished before, just tarnished and water spots. I was very impressed - more than other brands. Wenol is a 2 part process, first red, then blue.

GM Killer
04-08-2002, 11:55 AM
I dont do the polishing on my boat, the lil' woman does that, but she prefers Mothers polish. A helpful hint is to wax the aluminum with Turtle Wax after polishing, it will keep the shine longer. My pump is polished, with the wax the shine will last about 2 hours in the water, with the wax it doesnt look too bad after 2 days.

BradP
04-08-2002, 01:28 PM
I just tried Boeshield on all my aluminum. It's a protectorant not a polish. It looks OK after application but after the boat ran and sat in the water for a day it gives all the polished a satin look, the great thing about it was when I wiped everything down the polish was just as bright as new without any cleaner or Mother's application, just a dry rag. Everything below water line the same, none of that river mineral deposit or water spots on anything.

Hustler
04-08-2002, 04:06 PM
I have tried mother's, Wenol and just about everthing else out there and found that I prefer Blue Magic. Have Fun http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Hustler

vdriveride
04-08-2002, 07:02 PM
Look for good products at truck stops to polish with, those guys have to keep their tanks and rims looking good. I have had great luck with MFX metal polish.

Slick
04-09-2002, 07:28 AM
I tried the blue Wenol. It worked well on the bell housing (third engine mount) but really sucked eggs on the valve covers.

Rocket
04-09-2002, 09:00 AM
Mothers!!! nuf said

Boater Bill
04-09-2002, 12:59 PM
Slick, red Wenol first to clean, blue to protect!

HammerDown
04-09-2002, 02:49 PM
Wenol walks all over the rest...as bill stated, the Red tube to cut and the blue to polish.

Jetboatguru
04-09-2002, 03:11 PM
Slick you cheap suck, just get rid of the valve covers and buy new ones. The ones you have you bought in 1981 from a garage sale

Slick
04-09-2002, 03:29 PM
Actually, they're the only living reminents of the Gale Banks system that was tossed in the trash before I bought this POS.

hack job
04-09-2002, 04:54 PM
i use semi crome i know it says crome bt my buddy dose wonders with the stuff, it give the allum. a shine like crome and pulls out some eching. good luck. hey are those vavle covers off a ford by any chace? i have the gale banks turbos on my ford but i have the ford racing vavle covers that are cast allum.
Tyson www.plumbersassracing.com (http://www.plumbersassracing.com)

77charger
04-09-2002, 07:13 PM
Mothers for dirty work then blu magic for finish.Or chrome them.

HUFFPOWER
04-10-2002, 01:16 AM
for those in the phoenix area give richard a call at custom metal finishing,southern and wilbur,behind ducati shop for your polishing needs,awesome work!!!just a father and sons shop.scott

Slick
04-10-2002, 06:25 AM
Huff,
I'm not sure if he still owns it, but a guy a grew up with bought that bike shop quite a few years ago. Haven't talked to him in a while. I hope he's doing well if he still owns it.
Anyway, the system is for a 454. Sadly the previous owner never set it up right and they were taken off the boat and stored in their business warehouse. When the business went under, they were tossed http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif
Mine are cast aluminum and look like this but have different breather ports. This is the only picture I could find.
http://fiss.com/BANKS/twinturbo1.gif

Slick
04-12-2002, 06:58 AM
Okay,
I tried a new product from Mothers called Billet something or other. It's supposed to be real good. Well, it removed about 60% of the tarnish. What about using 2000 grit sandpaper and doing a little light wet sanding to remove some of that stuff and then repolishing? Any thoughts?

VitaminSea
04-12-2002, 10:16 AM
Flitz has been good for me. Cliff

spectras only
04-12-2002, 04:22 PM
I used a liquid product called Metalon on my bike chaincases and such.It was a wipe on ,live it on for a minute or so,then wipe off.Can't find it anymore.Now I just buy the Autosol in a tube ,at any automotive store.Works good for me.

wideopen545
04-16-2002, 03:18 PM
try some stuff called fx compond works very very well you can get at the truck stops or i can get you the adress off the bottol

LOWRIVER2
04-23-2002, 04:05 PM
I like Wenol and Mothers to get the base crude off but have found X streem polish to work best for the final application. I buy it at Wheel Warehouse in Anaheim. It's from Hulcher Enterprises in Denton Tx. Phone:800-543-5553. Address:1028 Shady Oaks/Zip:76205
And as mentioned on the Jet board, Al Reed Polishing in Anaheim does excellent polish/powdercoat work for reasonable prices.

Dans66Stevens
04-23-2002, 05:27 PM
Who can tell me what is in aluminum polish? I have bought some stuff from a guy in a truck stop. He sells it in a Pepsi bottle. The stuff works pretty good. He makes the stuff himself. Id love to know whats in it?