PDA

View Full Version : 28' Cheetah crash?

Beer-30
10-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Anyone hear about a 28' Fast Cat coming apart at Havasu lately? A friend heard something about one basically breaking in half down the middle and killing everyone on-board. Right now, it is just a rumor. Anyone know?

dicudmore
10-09-2005, 09:35 AM
I know nothing...
course I haven't been out in 6 weeks :mad: :mad:
I hope its false, never like to hear of anybody getting hurt much less killed...bad bad bad

Not So Fast
10-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Live here and haven't heard anything yet, was it yesterday? NSF

uncle larry
10-09-2005, 10:45 AM
rumor

shadow
10-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Live here and haven't heard anything yet, was it yesterday? NSF
Same here.Sounds like a rumor.
Maybe the accident last season is getting blown out of porportion.Wasn't there a Cheetah involved in one during one of the monsoons?Stuffed it in some big chop and broke the boat.

Throttle
10-09-2005, 11:36 AM
rumor
yikes, hope so.. :2purples:

Not So Fast
10-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Are Cheetah's that bad, seems like most of the stories always involve the boat breaking up or coming apart at speed. I know they are at the lower end of the price ladder but are they unsafe ???? :confused: NSF

Throttle
10-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Are Cheetah's that bad, seems like most of the stories always involve the boat breaking up or coming apart at speed. I know they are at the lower end of the price ladder but are they unsafe ???? :confused: NSF
i do recall a previous incident, wonder if its the same?

Cdi= Chikz dig it
10-09-2005, 11:53 AM
During the summer there was a 24' cheetah that came apart on a rough windy day killing the two on board. Witnesses said the boat possibly stuffed the nose and broke in half. I saw the boat when they pulled it up, it was destroyed...

nodigg
10-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Anything is possible..but why do people spread rumors like this? Why do people want to bash Cheetahs all the time? Get over the hate, its a bonifde custom boat at an affordable price.
If it happened...details before enuendo!

dicudmore
10-09-2005, 12:09 PM
During the summer there was a 24' cheetah that came apart on a rough windy day killing the two on board. Witnesses said the boat possibly stuffed the nose and broke in half. I saw the boat when they pulled it up, it was destroyed...
Are you talking about the 25' V-bottom that stuffed and came apart near Black Meadow early this season? If you saw the boat, then you should know that it was NOT a Cheetah :wink:
CHEETAH does not offer a 25' V

dicudmore
10-09-2005, 12:20 PM
As to the construction of ALL of Cheetah's boats I truly have no idea. I can only comment on mine...
Its been through 2 seasons of pretty hard use including no less than 6 trips to Catalina on some pretty big-water days, couple of poker runs, and then the typical weekend havasu choppy water use. Been aired-out in the ocean several times and there is not a stress crack to be found on it, much less "coming apart"

Debbolas
10-09-2005, 12:43 PM
I am constantly amazed by members attacking other peoples boats.........trashing them and starting rumors....why do they care what you choose to buy and drive. :rolleyes:
As long as you are happy with your boat, that is all that matters.:D
Hope this is a rumor and no one was hurt....and remember if the worse thing that happens to you today is that someone trashes your brand of boat, your pretty lucky. :cool:

Beer-30
10-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Ok, let's look at it as a rumor. I will inquire more. I know about the way early on 25V that broke up that was supposed to be a Cheetah and ended up not. Had not heard about the 24, maybe one in the same.
Just checking. I'll let everyone know if I find more. Thanks.

Focker
10-09-2005, 01:46 PM
As to the construction of ALL of Cheetah's boats I truly have no idea. I can only comment on mine...
Its been through 2 seasons of pretty hard use including no less than 6 trips to Catalina on some pretty big-water days, couple of poker runs, and then the typical weekend havasu choppy water use. Been aired-out in the ocean several times and there is not a stress crack to be found on it, much less "coming apart"
I AGREE I HAVE BEEN ON DAN'S BOAT AFTER HE HAD A 30 PACK AND WENT 20 FEET IN THE AIR WITH NODAMAGE :yuk:

Cdi= Chikz dig it
10-09-2005, 02:22 PM
First of all dicudmore, my post said 24', and yes it was a Cheetah. Cheetah owner came out and investigated the boat to make sure it wasn't a manufacturing flaw..That will be in civil litagation if the deceased family decides to sue or not. I have no idea if it was a boat flaw or not, don't really care. The boat was red, with like yellow flames. I know from personal experience. Call Sgt Phil Odom at he San Bernardino County Sheriffs Office if you would like to know more general info or Cheetah Bob.....Have a nice day

Mrs.Racer277
10-09-2005, 02:31 PM
I AGREE I HAVE BEEN ON DAN'S BOAT AFTER HE HAD A 30 PACK AND WENT 20 FEET IN THE AIR WITH NODAMAGE :yuk:
LMAO!!!!! Are we talking about the same Dan?? ;) :idea: :) :)

Not So Fast
10-09-2005, 02:39 PM
I never criticize anybody's boat because I started out in a Bayliner and it got the job done. It just seemed like a lot of the reports always said something about the boat coming apart. Boats are like anything else, it all boils down to MONEY so buy what you can afford (or finance) :chi: NSF

Debbolas
10-09-2005, 02:44 PM
LMAO!!!!! Are we talking about the same Dan?? ;) :idea: :) :)
Exactly what I was thinking :wink:

DJ Sound Technique
10-09-2005, 04:40 PM
Hummm... I almost bought a Cheetah and heard both the pros and cons, I tend to side with custom boat at affordable price....

SnakeWrench
10-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Well, I will say this, when something happens to a boat, no matter the builder, there are always going to be someone that will start with the, "Oh it's built like crap" comments. Here is the point. This thread was a rumor at best simply because nobody has proof. Second, nobody knows what kind of boat it is. What if it was a magic, or a Lavey, or an Eliminator. Would everyone jump on the wagon and say that they MAY be unsafe boats. Doubt it.
Third, does anyone know how fast, who was driving, their experience, wheather conditions,, no,, the guy driving could have had the nose burried and may have been going too fast for conditions, or could have hit something in the water, or ,or,or,or..
Get my point.

76ANTHONY
10-09-2005, 05:08 PM
yes we get your point mister :D
it could have been a tugboat :D

Charley
10-09-2005, 05:15 PM
I don't see any evidence of anyone bashing anyone here... I see a rumour causing alot of people asking for some real answers to some fair questions...Debola to answer your comment about dont worry about it...BS! The fact that info, good and bad, gets shared here is probably the most valueable part of this board to begin with. If there is something sub-par going on with a manufacturer we all deserve as a boating community to know about it.... tough questions get asked and if the rumours are inaccurate then there is nothing to worry about.

NuckinFutz
10-09-2005, 05:30 PM
I don't think Beer 30 asked if Cheetah's were a good boat. He only inquired about a rumor on a boat wreck, a 28' Fastcat in fact. Let's not so defensive immediately about Cheetah's reputation. Reputations as boat builders are on the line constantly. Case in point, Advantage had an owner killed in a boat accident driving an Advantage. I didn't let this influence my choice to buy an Advantage. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes in the boating world, thank GOD or we'd all be sportin SeaRays. Simple question, sounds like a rumor and let's move on and drink more beer.

Beer-30
10-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Exactly. Thanks, Nuckin. A friend inquired if I had heard anything. He lurks, but knew that I was fairly active. All I did was ask if anyone knew. I would own a Cheetah if I was looking for one of their models. I am not brand-specific. I believe they are all out there providing excellent products. This subject goes round and round here on the boards. I was just checkin'. I have already relayed to him that it must be a rumor only, someone here would have heard about it by now. That's all it was. :wink:

Mrs.Racer277
10-09-2005, 06:00 PM
I don't think Beer 30 asked if Cheetah's were a good boat. He only inquired about a rumor on a boat wreck, a 28' Fastcat in fact. Let's not so defensive immediately about Cheetah's reputation. Reputations as boat builders are on the line constantly. Case in point, Advantage had an owner killed in a boat accident driving an Advantage. I didn't let this influence my choice to buy an Advantage. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes in the boating world, thank GOD or we'd all be sportin SeaRays. Simple question, sounds like a rumor and let's move on and drink more beer. And Jello Shots. ;)
Well Said. :cool: And I agree I think Beer 30 was just inquiring about an accident.

Beer-30
10-09-2005, 06:05 PM
:smile:

Cdi= Chikz dig it
10-10-2005, 01:55 AM
You know what, as soon as i can dig up the pics i'll send them....It's not a rumor, the boat did snap apart, it was driver stupidity i'm sure, but not a rumor buy any stretch of the imagination. The girl with the turkey needs to read before she posts....I will say it one more time nice and clear...Call the owner of Cheetah or SBSD and they will tell you the circumstances of the accident. The owner tried to report it stolen after the incident, it's FUBAR big time...24' cheetah

Wet Dream
10-10-2005, 06:38 AM
Debola to answer your comment about dont worry about it...BS! The fact that info, good and bad, gets shared here is probably the most valueable part of this board to begin with.
BRAVO! At least most of the people on here get it. Anyway, I bet you can take any boat manufacturer from Cheetah to Eliminator and given the right circumstances, you can have a successful day in breaking that boat up. Then what you'll get is some ass calling it a manufacturing defect or poor quality.

Not So Fast
10-10-2005, 07:22 AM
You guys are right about it could be any boat maker, summer before last there were three incidents involving Magic boats all in about a 2 week period, then there was the DCB at site 6 that flipped or something, so it just proves an idiot can f---k up any boat I guess. The Skater that caused all the commotion just this week down by Phoenix, does that mean they are crap?? There is a lot of good info on these boards and a lot comes from QUESTIONS, nothing more nothing less so if a question offends you, QUIT READING, geez, lighten up already. Its a beatuful day in Havasu but windy as heck. :chi: Peace, NSF "GO BOLTZ"

bigq
10-10-2005, 07:34 AM
If I recall Cheetah does not even layup their own hulls. It is done by a place that does the layup for other manufactures also. So you should add those to list if you think it is just because it is a Cheetah. When i looked at Cheetah the layup looked like it would be just as strong with as much wood as another manufacture, but I am no expert.

bigq
10-10-2005, 07:35 AM
You know what, as soon as i can dig up the pics i'll send them....It's not a rumor, the boat did snap apart, it was driver stupidity i'm sure, but not a rumor buy any stretch of the imagination. The girl with the turkey needs to read before she posts....I will say it one more time nice and clear...Call the owner of Cheetah or SBSD and they will tell you the circumstances of the accident. The owner tried to report it stolen after the incident, it's FUBAR big time...24' cheetah
Lets see the Pics :(

uncle larry
10-10-2005, 08:39 AM
95% of the time when a boat (any manufacturer) crashes the only common denominator is that their is a human being driving.... So maybe we should just all focus on being better drivers when in ANY type boat.........

dicudmore
10-10-2005, 09:28 AM
95% of the time when a boat (any manufacturer) crashes the only common denominator is that their is a human being driving.... So maybe we should just all focus on being better drivers when in ANY type boat.........
I have to second this :D

meaniam
10-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Anyone hear about a 28' Fast Cat coming apart at Havasu lately? A friend heard something about one basically breaking in half down the middle and killing everyone on-board. Right now, it is just a rumor. Anyone know?
i heard something like that back in like april or june. then i was told it was not a cat.but a cheetah then told it was something else. and that 2 people had stole the boat from a dock by natical inn or something in havasu, and they were drunk. was hallin ass and cuaght between 2 waves. and one body wasnt found for like a week down river. i bet its an old story. and i know that what i gather is all mixed up. cuase it has been told so many times.

Dusty Times
10-10-2005, 11:43 AM
It was a Cheetah vee and the owner was a friend that had passed out in his room and the others still wanted to go for a ride that afternoon. The owner was previously from Kingman and had moved to Utah. Very bad situation no matter how you look at it. No hull is made to take an impact on the deck. I'm sure driver error, inexperience, severe weather and waves, plus other factors caused this (plus no vests)

LUVNLIFE
10-10-2005, 11:53 AM
i heard something like that back in like april or june. then i was told it was not a cat.but a cheetah then told it was something else. and that 2 people had stole the boat from a dock by natical inn or something in havasu, and they were drunk. was hallin ass and cuaght between 2 waves. and one body wasnt found for like a week down river. i bet its an old story. and i know that what i gather is all mixed up. cuase it has been told so many times.
I believe this accident occured out in front of Black Meadow Landing.

Debbolas
10-10-2005, 03:30 PM
If it is valid information and not gossip.............yes, that helps our boating community, but gossip that furthers certain members agenda's.....I don't think that is helpful.
It's a free county and a free sandbar, post away :D

TCHB
10-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Can you imagine building a 7 second car and show up a local drag race track and say I want to run it. They would tell you get lost until you were qualified to race the car. The car would have to pass inspections and standards. With a boat you stick any engine in most family boats and then go out and think you have a boat built to take the speed. You do not and that is when it becomes dangerous.

nodigg
10-11-2005, 02:00 PM
I don't think Beer 30 asked if Cheetah's were a good boat. He only inquired about a rumor on a boat wreck, a 28' Fastcat in fact. Let's not so defensive immediately about Cheetah's reputation. Reputations as boat builders are on the line constantly. Case in point, Advantage had an owner killed in a boat accident driving an Advantage. I didn't let this influence my choice to buy an Advantage. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes in the boating world, thank GOD or we'd all be sportin SeaRays. Simple question, sounds like a rumor and let's move on and drink more beer.
Solution.
"Anyone hear about a boat breaking up at Havasu this past weekend?"

Nord
10-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I didn't see any bashing here, quit stirring the pot!

Beer-30
10-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Solution.
"Anyone hear about a boat breaking up at Havasu this past weekend?"
Touchy, touchy!
For all I knew, there were a dozen break-ups at Havasu this weekend :jawdrop:
I was being specific to what had been asked of me.
If someone posted something about a Sleek breaking up, the first thing I think of is driver error. I'm not going to jump to conclusions that the boat(s) just broke apart for fun. It is the same with ANY OTHER BRAND. Just because a boat breaks up, doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't built properly. I don't think the majority on here thinks builder-error either.
And, for the record, I am one of the ones who has defended / has looked at / would own a Cheetah.

dicudmore
10-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Touchy, touchy!
For all I knew, there were a dozen break-ups at Havasu this weekend :jawdrop:
I was being specific to what had been asked of me.
If someone posted something about a Sleek breaking up, the first thing I think of is driver error. I'm not going to jump to conclusions that the boat(s) just broke apart for fun. It is the same with ANY OTHER BRAND. Just because a boat breaks up, doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't built properly. I don't think the majority on here thinks builder-error either.
And, for the record, I am one of the ones who has defended / has looked at / would own a Cheetah.
That sir is just part of what makes you a good guy :cool:

Beer-30
10-11-2005, 04:00 PM
That sir is just part of what makes you a good guy :cool:
You crack me up.
For that, you earn TWO beers. :wink:

Keith E. Sayre
10-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Beer 30: you should be a hostage negotiator or something like that. you always seem to be the friendly voice on here that soothes and cools and for
that you should either be commended or become a bottle or Solarcaine or something!
As for the incident about the Cheetah. I do have photos of the boat on a trailer in my front yard. It was a 24' V bottom Stilletto. That's the boat
that is a v bottom with tunnels cut out of it. That's probably where the
confusion comes from about the cat or v bottom part. I'm led to understand
that the owners of the boat are the deceased 2 mentioned previously. the
water was extremely rough and they were trying to catch or race someone
else in a bigger boat that could handle the water conditions. They apparently
launched it off a big roller and stuffed the bow. The only real structural
damage that I could see was in the dashboard area of the boat or the helm
where 2 adult bodies smashed it all to heck. The boat didn't disintegrate
and it didn't break in to multiple pieces. But it shocked me to see what 2
adult bodies could do to a piece of fiberglass when they are going 70 + mph
and the fiberglass has stopped all of a sudden. Tragic deal.
Give Cheetah Bob some respect, he's one of the nicest people in the business
and has build more boats than 99% of the builders still in business. Sure his
boats are inexpensive but the price or quality of the boat didn't get those
Utah kids killed. Just my humble opinions.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400

Not So Fast
10-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Well said Keith, NSF

meaniam
10-11-2005, 04:37 PM
please nobody say im bashing cheetah. or getting these things started. im just stating alot of boat builders name are being dragged threw this. and this rumor never stops.i have heard at least a dozon diffrent verisons and that my only point. and cheetah has my props as they ar the only boat i like within budget for me

Beer-30
10-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks for that, Keith. I'll come by and say Hi again at the boat show.
If anything, that says ALOT for Cheetah. Taking a roller on the nose is no easy task for any boat, at any speed. Hearing that it held together and was even able to be put on a trailer is kudos to Bob.

Beer-30
10-11-2005, 04:49 PM
And, hostage negotiation happens to be a possibility in my line of work. :)

my21advantage
10-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Same here.Sounds like a rumor.
Maybe the accident last season is getting blown out of porportion.Wasn't there a Cheetah involved in one during one of the monsoons?Stuffed it in some big chop and broke the boat.
Yea I remember that, but I haven't heard anything new????????

Beer-30
10-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Yea I remember that, but I haven't heard anything new????????
Only what Keith posted. That was the most detail I have heard.

Supultlbich
10-12-2005, 04:53 AM
Beer 30: you should be a hostage negotiator or something like that. you always seem to be the friendly voice on here that soothes and cools and for
that you should either be commended or become a bottle or Solarcaine or something!
As for the incident about the Cheetah. I do have photos of the boat on a trailer in my front yard. It was a 24' V bottom Stilletto. That's the boat
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400
Very well put keith.

dicudmore
10-12-2005, 06:31 AM
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400
hmm... I had heard from somebody that knew the Utah kids that the boat was a 25' stealth but I know Keith, and I don't argue anything he says in regards to boats... He is the man...

Flashover
10-12-2005, 06:40 AM
Anybody know what part of Utah they were from? And when did this happen?

Beer-30
10-12-2005, 09:02 AM
Anybody know what part of Utah they were from? And when did this happen?
I believe they were from the Ignorant parts of Dumbass.

Cdi= Chikz dig it
10-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Hey Keith, if you have pictures of the boat, you couldnt have missed the fact that the entire front is missing... The crash your referring to is accurate, just like I explained earlier, however, your description of the damage to the boat is WAY off....You tell me your email and i'll send you the pics to post.

Flashover
10-12-2005, 09:49 AM
I believe they were from the Ignorant parts of Dumbass.
Dude WTF!!!

Beer-30
10-12-2005, 10:00 AM
No offense to Utah.......every state has it's dumbass section. :wink:

Flashover
10-12-2005, 10:03 AM
I was just wondering what you meant. Trust me i know of the dumbasses out here there are plenty of them. I was just wondering about more details. I think it was last year some guy was WOT on utah lake in a Daytona and it shreaded and killed everyone on board also. bad news...

Beer-30
10-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Well, I see collisions of all sorts all day. 99.5% of the time (really!) they are caused by a stupid movement from a person. Sure, it's tragic that someone loses their life, but it didn't have to happen and would have been easy to avoid. It's done now.

BajaMike
10-12-2005, 11:31 AM
So boat the "came apart at Havasu lately" was the boat that crashed last Spring near Black Meadows?? :confused: :confused:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-12-2005, 11:35 AM
I am constantly amazed by members attacking other peoples boats.........trashing them and starting rumors....why do they care what you choose to buy and drive. :rolleyes:
As long as you are happy with your boat, that is all that matters.:D
Hope this is a rumor and no one was hurt....and remember if the worse thing that happens to you today is that someone trashes your brand of boat, your pretty lucky. :cool:
YOU ARE SO RIGHT

Beer-30
10-12-2005, 11:35 AM
So boat the "came apart at Havasu lately" was the boat that crashed last Spring near Black Meadows?? :confused: :confused:
I don't think anything has come apart at Havasu lately. Once again, it was a question posed to me, he had heard from someone else. You know how rumor chains are. Just look what it started here!
Other than the Grumman sea-plane landing there with engine trouble, I don't think there has been any real excitement. :cool:

bigq
10-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Hey Keith, if you have pictures of the boat, you couldnt have missed the fact that the entire front is missing... The crash your referring to is accurate, just like I explained earlier, however, your description of the damage to the boat is WAY off....You tell me your email and i'll send you the pics to post.
He said it was in his front yard and has pictures. I don't think it could be any clearer to him.
Whats your deal... 4 post and grinding away at Cheetah? :notam:

BajaMike
10-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Other than the Grumman sea-plane landing there with engine trouble, I don't think there has been any real excitement. :cool:
Did the Grumman sea-plane land OK?? :confused: :confused:
Do Grumman sea-planes have bad engines?? :sqeyes:
That settles it....I'm never gona buy a Grumman sea-plane!!!!
:D :D :D

nodigg
10-12-2005, 01:30 PM
DAmmit KEITH! If you don't stop setting the record straight with the truth, and cannot stop posting good things about others, well then, dammit, I'm placing you right up there on a pedistal with Bob! :D
And thanks again for the shop tour a few weeks back and the insight and heads up! :cool:
You are gonna force me to start to want a Conquest again with this kind of crap!

dicudmore
10-12-2005, 01:37 PM
DAmmit KEITH! If you don't stop setting the record straight with the truth, and cannot stop posting good things about others, well then, dammit, I'm placing you right up there on a pedistal with Bob! :D
And thanks again for the shop tour a few weeks back and the insight and heads up! :cool:
You are gonna force me to start to want a Conquest again with this kind of crap!
he's having that same effect on me :220v:

Cdi= Chikz dig it
10-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Can someone give me their email address so I can send the pics of what the boat REALLY looks like...You guys are making me sick with this pat eachother on the back with the politically correct posts here... If you want the pics give me your email address and i'll send them.. I can't figure this damn thing out... One last thing, pics speak louder than words and I have the pics as it sat in the Sheriffs station behind the tape..... Any takers want to know what it truly looked like... And as far as Cheetah's go, I can care less, if you wanna buy one, do the research and see how they hold up...I'd be curious if anyone can dig up a pic of a 24' V type hull coming apart like this after stuffing the nose with a 496ho at best...

Big Warlock
10-12-2005, 07:47 PM
get your hot popcorn...... :mix:

BajaMike
10-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Did the Grumman sea-plane land OK?? :confused: :confused:
Do Grumman sea-planes have bad engines?? :sqeyes:
That settles it....I'm never gona buy a Grumman sea-plane!!!!
Anyone have any Grumman sea-plane pictures??

bigq
10-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Can someone give me their email address so I can send the pics of what the boat REALLY looks like...You guys are making me sick with this pat eachother on the back with the politically correct posts here... If you want the pics give me your email address and i'll send them.. I can't figure this damn thing out... One last thing, pics speak louder than words and I have the pics as it sat in the Sheriffs station behind the tape..... Any takers want to know what it truly looked like... And as far as Cheetah's go, I can care less, if you wanna buy one, do the research and see how they hold up...I'd be curious if anyone can dig up a pic of a 24' V type hull coming apart like this after stuffing the nose with a 496ho at best...
Yeah, sure email them to me. rivrboun@tstonramp.com <----my e-mail address. :D

Debbolas
10-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Ok, I'm confused...............who is the girl with the turkey? :confused:

Beer-30
10-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Ok, I'm confused...............who is the girl with the turkey? :confused:
Yeah, I didnt' get that one either. ?
There are some pics somewhere around her of the Grumman. The parked it at the south end of the channel and went to somewhere to get parts. Fixed it the next day and took off. It was in the Havasu paper. Someone attached the article.

dicudmore
10-13-2005, 06:55 AM
please send them...
dicudmore@hotmail.com

mondorally
10-13-2005, 07:05 AM
http://www.clicksitebuilder.com/home2/cr/catalinamayer.com/images/p/PCCSRdPb.jpg

bigq
10-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Alright then, here are pics of the 24 Cheetah.
I think the pictures speak for themselves. :2purples:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/107Cheetah.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/107Cheetah2.JPG
:frown:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/107Cheetah_inside.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/107Broken_Cheetah.JPG

bigq
10-13-2005, 08:33 AM
Souldn't their be more wood in the fron area? Looks like just fiberglass. :squiggle:

Cdi= Chikz dig it
10-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Thx bigq, appreciate the posting for me.... I need to figure out how to do that, so irritating when your computer lame like me....

bigq
10-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Thx bigq, appreciate the posting for me.... I need to figure out how to do that, so irritating when your computer lame like me....
Roger

Beer-30
10-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Trying not to jack the thread, but here ya go:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93210&page=1&pp=25&highlight=grumman
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/973P9250006.JPG

BajaMike
10-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Trying not to jack the thread, but here ya go:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93210&page=1&pp=25&highlight=grumman
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/973P9250006.JPG
I was actually joking....but that's pretty cool!!!
:rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

Sleek-Jet
10-13-2005, 09:13 AM
I took Keiths comments in regard to a seperate accident. Not the one involving the stollen Cheetah.

Cdi= Chikz dig it
10-13-2005, 09:13 AM
So what boat was Keith looking at?

jayd_jr
10-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Souldn't their be more wood in the fron area? Looks like just fiberglass. :squiggle:
All I have to say is if you have to ask this question you have no clue how boats are built. As mentioned before others have died in accidents like this in other manufactured boats... I HOPE WE CAN ALL LEARN A LESSON from this accident..
alcohol + boat + new driver + very bad conditions= those pics!

BajaMike
10-13-2005, 09:16 AM
Obviously, the pictures posted are from a different accident then the one Keith described. Looking at that makes you want to drive a little slower....no matter what boat you drive.....
:eat:

Cdi= Chikz dig it
10-13-2005, 09:18 AM
Hey Sleek read the whole post rea what Keith what was talking about, he knew which boat.... Also the boat wasn't stolen, the owner just freeked out when he heard his buddies died driving it so he TRIED to report it stolen, the Sheriffs dept didn't fall for it...

Sleek-Jet
10-13-2005, 09:18 AM
So what boat was Keith looking at?
I don't know, but he said the dash was all beat up from people hitting it. The dash in the pics of the busted up Cheetah looks in relatively good condition.

Cdi= Chikz dig it
10-13-2005, 09:25 AM
I love Keith, he's a great guy, but he's way off on this one... I don't know if he was trying to keep the fire down on Cheetah or what, he's that kinda guy..

bigq
10-13-2005, 09:50 AM
All I have to say is if you have to ask this question you have no clue how boats are built. As mentioned before others have died in accidents like this in other manufactured boats... I HOPE WE CAN ALL LEARN A LESSON from this accident..
Yeah you're right, they don't use any core mat, wood, no rienforcment at all. :messedup:
I am sure this is an extreme case and was pounded hard. From the pics it looks like a few links are missing thats all, but go ahead nad throw the insults. :rolleyes:

jayd_jr
10-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Yeah you're right, they don't use any core mat, wood, no rienforcment at all. :messedup:
I am sure this is an extreme case and was pounded hard. From the pics it looks like a few links are missing thats all, but go ahead nad throw the insults. :rolleyes:
No insults there...... Never called you a name like a little kid would do...Just tried to get the point across what really caused their deaths! not the boat...........

dicudmore
10-13-2005, 10:26 AM
looks to me like that hour meter says 24, obviously new boat/driver applies...

dicudmore
10-13-2005, 10:33 AM
I believe but don't know for sure that the 24' has full length stringers...
I know the 29 V does...
I don't think he would be offering a 10-yr hull warranty if they were being built purely with duct tape :wink:

Keith E. Sayre
10-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Not the same boat that I recall. About 6 months ago, while sitting at my desk, the guy from Sea Tow told me to walk outside and that is where I saw
the broken up boat. It was sitting on a trailer all lashed down. Sea Tow had
just got it out of impound or something. Apparently they were also the ones
that got it floating and back on the trailer after the wreck. I have looked for my photos that I took of it and don't know if I saved them or not. I don't
recall the boat bing so destroyed. Maybe there are 2 boats? Maybe my
memory isn't that great but I seem to remember the dash board/helm area
being much worse off than it now appears in the photos.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

bigq
10-13-2005, 11:09 AM
I believe but don't know for sure that the 24' has full length stringers...
I know the 29 V does...
I don't think he would be offering a 10-yr hull warranty if they were being built purely with duct tape :wink:
Duck tape? It is a Cheetah not a Bayliner
:D
And for the record I am referring to bulkheads, I don't see any, but then again I don't know anything about building boats. :)
It must have been a hard crash though to cause that damage.

cheetah roger
10-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Seems like no one knows the whole story, BOAT IN ? WAS STOLEN, THE OWNER WAS NOTIFIED. FRIENDS OF THE OWNER WHO WAS ON DRUGS AND BOOZE, A BEGINNER BOATER RUNNING FROM THE SHERIFF DEPT BETWEEN 80 AND 90 MPH LOST CONTROL AND NOSED DIVED, Gotta know who your friends really are. Cheetah Boats 928-764-2700

Deano
10-13-2005, 11:28 AM
I would love to hear another example of a boat coming apart "like that one" from sticking the nose in. It looks like it has full length stringers. Maybe just missing a few bulkheads? But I have no clue about boat building. Please edgumacate me. :idea:

shadow
10-13-2005, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=bigq]Alright then, here are pics of the 24 Cheetah.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/107Cheetah2.JPG
:frown:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/107Cheetah_inside.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/107Broken_Cheetah.JPG[/QUOTe
OUCH!!! :jawdrop:
Tough to look at any boat with that kind of damage.

bigq
10-13-2005, 11:46 AM
No insults there...... Never called you a name like a little kid would do...Just tried to get the point across what really caused their deaths! not the boat...........
Cool! :D

shadow
10-20-2005, 09:17 AM
Appears this may not be "rumor" BUT the details may have been stretched.
I just saw a 28 Cheetah deck at a local shop that had obviously been run into the ground and the side of a hill,front of the boat is damaged with atleast a wheel barrel or 2 worth of earth "dirt,sand,gravel and mud" inside the front all over the carpet.The bottom is tore up and the prop looks like it was @ rpm's while on the ground.Even the hub was full of dirt,gravel and mud.
Apparently someone broke a hip.This happened a couple of weeks ago.
By the way any manufacture would have this damage if driven into the side of a hill Not Just a Cheetah.

Beer-30
10-20-2005, 09:23 AM
Shadow, that sounds like this one:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3001oops12.jpg

shadow
10-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Shadow, that sounds like this one:
That looks like the same one i just saw today.

Beer-30
10-20-2005, 09:40 AM
The one I was inquiring about was supposedly a break-up in the water. It is pretty much a dead rumor now.
Never did hear the story on this one. I'll bet some peeps got pitched, though.

slowinhavasu
10-20-2005, 10:34 AM
When this all (with the red flamed chetah) happened I made a post about buying a Bayliner if you want to get home in bad water.
You guys crusified me. The picture was never posted at that time.
Maybe you see why I hold the opinion I do of the smaller chetahs.
I can't agree more that some terribly bad choices were made, but I would not put my family in one.....just my 02 cents

Beer-30
10-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Here we go again.
I thought we agreed this was not a mfg bashing place.
Both Cheetahs in question here, are obviously driver error. In fact, I still maintain that they both held up quite well, given the crashes they were in.
If you really want to see how good each mfg is, just buy one of each and go stuff them into the side of a mountain.

meaniam
10-27-2005, 05:23 PM
wow this story still has legs.
and if you werent paying attenion there is a lesson here
boat of any kind. are no good out of water!
damn wonder what happened with the error on driving up on a hill with that white and purple boat.

dicudmore
10-27-2005, 05:31 PM
forgot where neutral was??

Nord
10-27-2005, 06:00 PM
This picture was taken about a month and a half ago!!
Has nothing to do with a cheetah splitting............has to do with someone who couldn't see at night to my knowledge........... :coffeycup

Mohave Vice
10-27-2005, 06:06 PM
forgot where neutral was??
This is why I prefer and have a foot throttle.

dicudmore
10-27-2005, 06:44 PM
not on your pontoon boat you don't my friend :D

2Driver
10-27-2005, 06:51 PM
That driver had to be a newbie boater. I've made it to the top of that hill before in my boat with no problem. :D :D

Nord
10-27-2005, 06:52 PM
That driver had to be a newbie boater. I've made it to the top of that hill before in my boat with no problem. :D :D
lol

Mohave Vice
10-27-2005, 06:55 PM
not on your pontoon boat you don't my friend :D
The baby Eliminator has a foot throttle. With me on the pontoon, i could never do any hill climbing!

shadow
10-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Not sure if he was trying to make it to the top.
Maybe the cops were around and he'd been drinking so he was hiding behind the bush :confused:

dicudmore
10-27-2005, 06:59 PM
Not sure if he was trying to make it to the top.
Maybe the cops were around and he'd been drinking so he was hiding behind the bush :confused:
I'm thinking we have found the answer ;)

bajabri
10-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Now thats funny...I don't care who ya are...... :D :D :D

No Name
10-27-2005, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=shadow][QUOTE=bigq]Alright then, here are pics of the 24 Cheetah.
Now that’s what I call an OPEN BOW!!!!!! :messedup:

bigq
10-27-2005, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=shadow][QUOTE=bigq]Alright then, here are pics of the 24 Cheetah.
Now that’s what I call an OPEN BOW!!!!!! :messedup:
Actually i think that is the new design for the 2006 deck boat. :D

sxpilot
10-28-2005, 08:39 AM
I didnt realize this thread was still goin...
Im the one who took the pic of the Hill Climber...it was about 2 months ago on a Sat morning...we were headed down to the springs for breakfast when we saw the boat up the hill...there wasent anyone around but from the looks of it someone got jacked up pretty bad...obviously Driver Error, it happened Fri night and from what I remember there was No Moon...that place was around directly accross Show Boat Cove...
at first glance it looked like he was trying to launch... :rollside: