PDA

View Full Version : I saw something scary today

DeputyDawg
10-09-2005, 03:13 PM
I went to an air show earlier today and while watching a parachuting team one of them had their chute fold up during a maneuver and started dropping fast while spinning around wildly. After a few seconds(seemed like longer) he was able to cut away and deploy his back up. After the back up came out he floated on down and landed safely but it didn't take him long to get to the ground, maybe 15-20 seconds. I don't know much about the sport so I don't know how close it actually was to being ugly, but I sure was glad to see it turn out okay.
Do any of you know anything about parachuting? How close did this guy get to meeting his maker?

Thunderbutt
10-09-2005, 03:18 PM
I went to an air show earlier today and while watching a parachuting team one of them had their chute fold up during a maneuver and started dropping fast while spinning around wildly. After a few seconds(seemed like longer) he was able to cut away and deploy his back up. After the back up came out he floated on down and landed safely but it didn't take him long to get to the ground, maybe 15-20 seconds. I don't know much about the sport so I don't know how close it actually was to being ugly, but I sure was glad to see it turn out okay.
Do any of you know anything about parachuting? How close did this guy get to meeting his maker?
01 02 03 04

DeputyDawg
10-09-2005, 03:22 PM
Not knowing anything about parachuting I really expected to see him get away from the folded up chute faster and deploy the other one. Man it sure seemed like a long time, and he probably didn't realize it but I was doing my best with body english to try to help him from the ground...HaHa

SnakeWrench
10-09-2005, 03:39 PM
I have just under 500 dives and have encountered a failed chute twice. I have been fortunate that the chute failed right after opening both times. I did have a friend of mine fold at 750ft, opened reserve about 100 ft before bouncing. He suffered a fractured ankle, and was diving 3 weeks later. Nobody ever knows how close they really were.
"LIVE IN FEAR OF DEATH, AND YOU'LL MISS OUT ON YOUR WHOLE LIFE."
qoute from JJ Carter who was celibrating his 3000 th skydive. Sorry to say, JJ Carter lost his life 3 days later, when he slipped on his front porch and broke his neck.

wsuwrhr
10-09-2005, 04:21 PM
"LIVE IN FEAR OF DEATH, AND YOU'LL MISS OUT ON YOUR WHOLE LIFE."
Nobody gets out of this life alive.
You plan on living forever?

Ultrafied
10-09-2005, 04:26 PM
A little over 175 static jumps, 35 HALOS and almost 100 sport jumps. I've had 2 complete malfunctions and quite a few May Wests but only rolled my ankle and torn my knee once out of all them. Finally said enough. Glad he was able to walk away .... it was a good day!

JetBoatRich
10-09-2005, 04:53 PM
That would not a good feeling seeing that :mad:
You think it was scary :jawdrop: think how he felt :jawdrop: but sounds like he did not panic and did well :D

HocusPocus
10-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Why anybody would jump from a perfectly good airplane is beyond me. And I have over 700 military jumps.
no such thing as a perfectly good airplane. :D :D

DeputyDawg
10-09-2005, 05:24 PM
It was a member of the Golden Nights jump team and believe it or not the dude seemed pretty calm after it all happened and said that it was his fault. Those guys dive a lot and from what I am told are some of the best.

HocusPocus
10-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Chit, half my jumps were out of helicopter, I couldn't wait to get out of that mothafocker. :D
i have repelled from helicopters but that was about it for me. i have always hated to fly.. and this coming from a 12 year Air Force vet. :D

Tahiti350
10-09-2005, 05:58 PM
24 years Air Force this Nov, and 00 jumps, no malfunctions. ;)
I have yet to jump out of any airplane, He!! I'm the one that makes it "Perfectly Good", why would I jump out of one?? That'd be like the mechanic refusing to drive your car after he worked on the brakes, right? :D :idea:
I have seen a few jumps go bad, and have had to help inspect planes when the jumpers hung up. That sucks....

ColeTR2
10-09-2005, 06:33 PM
I have heard 1 in 80 jumps you will have to use your reserve