PDA

View Full Version : got my first v-drive ride today...

ECeptor
10-09-2005, 05:10 PM
...and it was freakin' amazing!!!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3036Carnival_Ride_jpg.JPG
Loren's (aka Carnival Ride) boat is pretty dialed in for it's second day on the water after a major rebuild. I knew it was fast but did not expect it to accelerate like it did. Simply awesome! The only other vechicle I've been in that pulls that hard is my street bike...and that's saying something!

jmm
10-09-2005, 06:17 PM
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/415f6001zf8dc7985/ff29/__sr_/7481.jpg?phYAHSDBenxHFL8Q

DaveA
10-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Ah, another convert. :D
I've been following Loren's progress and am glad to hear it's rockin'.
Where were you riding...Cheney?
DaveA

steelcomp
10-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Pics...we need pics!!...I'm getting red X's.

steelcomp
10-09-2005, 07:28 PM
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/415f6001zf8dc7985/ff29/__sr_/7481.jpg?phYAHSDBenxHFL8Q
Loren's (aka Carnival Ride) boat is pretty dialed in for it's second day on the water after a major rebuild. I knew it was fast but did not expect it to accelerate like it did. Simply awesome! The only other vechicle I've been in that pulls that hard is my street bike...and that's saying something!
Ceptor...what do you ride? (Sorry for the mini-hijack...just curious)

dmontzsta
10-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Of course, its a V-DRIVE!

ECeptor
10-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Ah, another convert. :D
I've been following Loren's progress and am glad to hear it's rockin'.
Where were you riding...Cheney?
DaveA
Yeah, Cheney. Had perfect conditions for Loren's boat...very little wind or traffic.

ECeptor
10-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Ceptor...what do you ride? (Sorry for the mini-hijack...just curious)
My bike is a '94 Honda VFR.

steelcomp
10-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Cool...I had a '93 750. Fun bike, but nothin compared to the one I have now.
I talked to Loren on the phone a week or so ago. Sounds like a real nice guy. Glad to hear his boat runs good. :D

ECeptor
10-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Cool...I had a '93 750. Fun bike, but nothin compared to the one I have now.
I talked to Loren on the phone a week or so ago. Sounds like a real nice guy. Glad to hear his boat runs good. :D
I'm more than a little bit passionate about the Interceptors...hence my alias. I think the '93 were actually a little better looking than my '94, but not quite as strong.
Loren is a great guy and a helluva mechanic/machinest/engine builder. I'm happy his rig is running at full steam so we can add one more to the lake party invite list!

ECeptor
10-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Pics...we need pics!!...I'm getting red X's.
Check the top, did I get it fixed?

steelcomp
10-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Yup...I see 99.0mph...very good.
I definately liked my Interceptor, but I'm riding an '02 954RR now. 370 lbs, 166 hp. NOT a good thing. :hammer2: :D

ECeptor
10-09-2005, 09:25 PM
I definately liked my Interceptor, but I'm riding an '02 954RR now. 370 lbs, 166 hp. NOT a good thing. :hammer2: :D
Any more I just commute on mine so even her old a$$ is overkill. But a 954 (or new CBR1000) would be fun!

wsuwrhr
10-10-2005, 07:24 AM
I hear you on the street bike thing. I have a '95 900RR.
Wait until v-drive video gets wind of this. He'll be all over this thread.
Brian

wsuwrhr
10-10-2005, 07:26 AM
Not a good thing?
For tickets or what?
Brian

steelcomp
10-10-2005, 07:40 AM
Not a good thing?
For tickets or what?
Brian
LOL...being sarcastic...sort of. Anything that's that fast on the street, in my hands, is not a good thing. Like drugs and loose women...fun, but...well, you get it. This thing is scary fast. I've got a PowerCommander box and Two Bro's pipe on it, and it's set on kill. I only weigh 160. :crossx: :D

bigkatboat
10-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Please let us know how the bottom modifications work when you get her up to speed! Thanks, Loren it looks good "right out of the box".

wsuwrhr
10-10-2005, 11:04 AM
LOL...being sarcastic...sort of. Anything that's that fast on the street, in my hands, is not a good thing. Like drugs and loose women...fun, but...well, you get it. This thing is scary fast. I've got a PowerCommander box and Two Bro's pipe on it, and it's set on kill. I only weigh 160. :crossx: :D
Mine is 397lbs and has 135HP, and I weigh 140 soaking wet on a bad day. Bone stock.
So I know what you mean, makes me giggle when I whack the throttle.
Brian

LakesOnly
10-10-2005, 11:13 AM
So ECeptor, how many of those $200 voltage regulators have you gone through in the time you've owned your 90's interceptor? :D I was a bike mechanic for years (Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/KTM/Husaberg/Cannondale/BMW) and changed out VFR regulators almost as often as often spark plugs. I referred to them as the owner's "VFR tax." :D Great bikes, but as with all motor vehicles each model has at least one idiosynchracy.
If you have not yet had one go out on you, I strongly recommend you buy a spare and take it with you on any long trips.
LO

LakesOnly
10-10-2005, 11:21 AM
...I'm riding an '02 954RR now. 370 lbs, 166 hp. NOT a good thing. :hammer2: :D
Nice bike. Almost bought a 929 myself. More CBR's are sold in California than the rest of the country combined, according to my Honda rep (back in the day). I used to test new ZX12R's and 'Busa's. 80+ miles per hour in first gear alone, and that's just rolling on the throttle because my fly weight couldn't keep the front end down if went WOT.
By the way, the motor internals on all these bikes are truly awe-inspiring.
LO

wsuwrhr
10-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Great bikes, but as with all motor vehicles each model has at least one idiosynchracy.
LO
I can say that EVERY year I have owned my CBR, I have had to put a battery in it.
I just laugh. What are you going to do?
TAX, basically what it is.
Brian

ECeptor
10-10-2005, 03:57 PM
So ECeptor, how many of those $200 voltage regulators have you gone through in the time you've owned your 90's interceptor? :D I was a bike mechanic for years (Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/KTM/Husaberg/Cannondale/BMW) and changed out VFR regulators almost as often as often spark plugs. I referred to them as the owner's "VFR tax." :D Great bikes, but as with all motor vehicles each model has at least one idiosynchracy.
If you have not yet had one go out on you, I strongly recommend you buy a spare and take it with you on any long trips.
LO
Just one last year. It bailed on me only 3 miles from home. GF came and picked me up, I charged the battery back up and rode it home. My dealer has the same generation bike (his is a '97) and he knew exactly what to do. Honda has finally fixed the problem within the last few years. The new Reg/Rec has massive cooling fins on it. I also filed the frame down to bare metal and put heat sink grease (stuff used for computer processor heat sinks) between the R/R and the frame. That should make it much more reliable than the stock one (hopefully!).

LakesOnly
10-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Good idea on cooling the electrical unit.
One thing I particularly liked about your model bike was the gear-driven overhead cams. Major Service/Valve adjustments were a snap. Then the VFR went to cam chains a few years ago, and then when the VTEC was added...my god, you have to basically do the valve clearance inspection twice. (Disassemble OHV system and manually engage VTEC; reassemle and get lash clearances; disassemble again and R&R shims as needed, then reassemble.)
Everyone in the Honda Tech Update of that year groaned upon hearing this, and someone asked, "How many billable hours does Honda give us in flat rate for that job?" Reps answer was, "(sigh)...we really don't know yet..."
:rolleyes:
LO

SANGER-RICH
10-10-2005, 05:36 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3036Carnival_Ride_jpg.JPG BUMP
NOT BIKES
I did not see a speed on the gps for your first ride, must have been on the trailer, in the parking lot. No pics or anything :hammer2:

ECeptor
10-10-2005, 05:48 PM
BUMP
NOT BIKES
I did not see a speed on the gps for your first ride, must have been on the trailer, in the parking lot. No pics or anything :hammer2:
Both of us forgot the digital cameras. I'm sure Loren will have some pics posted soon.
For sure this is not parking lot talk-about boat. It's the real deal and is down right spooky fast to this deep-v dude...

ECeptor
10-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Good idea on cooling the electrical unit.
One thing I particularly liked about your model bike was the gear-driven overhead cams. Major Service/Valve adjustments were a snap. Then the VFR went to cam chains a few years ago, and then when the VTEC was added...my god, you have to basically do the valve clearance inspection twice. (Disassemble OHV system and manually engage VTEC; reassemle and get lash clearances; disassemble again and R&R shims as needed, then reassemble.)
Everyone in the Honda Tech Update of that year groaned upon hearing this, and someone asked, "How many billable hours does Honda give us in flat rate for that job?" Reps answer was, "(sigh)...we really don't know yet..."
:rolleyes:
LO
Yep, VTEC sucks. Overlay the previous generation 800 on the latest and the VTEC gains nothing. 10 times out of 10 I'd rather have gear driven cams over the do nothing VTEC.
I'll be adjusting my valves this winter (they are over due) so I'm glad to hear it will be easy.

Carnivalride
10-11-2005, 06:12 AM
Please let us know how the bottom modifications work when you get her up to speed! Thanks, Loren it looks good "right out of the box".
bigkatboat has given me a lot of set-up advice on this project and needs to be given credit for it. From the looks of things on this project I would definitley recommend him to anyone looking to improve their runner bottom v-drive performance.
For those of you not familiar with “Carnival Ride” here’s a brief description:
Carnival Ride is a 1978 Hondo runner bottom (XH511T) medium/heavy layup that I purchased less engine and partially disassembled back in April of 1992. After the 1999 racing season I had decided to blueprint the bottom, relocate some hardware and freshen up the engine. Between kids, wife, job situation, life in general and my wanting to do a little bit more this project took way longer than expected. Besides the initial bottom work it received a capped seam, new paint, buffed floor. 75% of the interior aluminum hardware is newly fabricated and what wasn’t new was modified and refinished. The engine ended up being rebuilt based loosely of the old combination. As Ed (eceptor) has said this was only the third time on the water for this boat since being reassembled. I know with this type of boat 99mph isn’t very impressive but I’m pretty sure there’s more tuning left so we’ll see what happens.
Quick facts:
Lake weight with fuel and driver 2170lbs, engine 467cid Chevy, iron heads, flat tappet cam, single 4bbl, Casale V-drive, precision prop.
Photos:
http://www.v-driveboat.com/gallery.php?s=&action=viewphoto&photoid=732
Bottom work
http://www.v-driveboat.com/gallery.php?s=&action=viewphoto&photoid=736
Cap seam
http://www.v-driveboat.com/gallery.php?s=&action=viewphoto&photoid=670
Floor
http://www.v-driveboat.com/gallery.php?s=&action=viewphoto&photoid=674
Paint
http://www.v-driveboat.com/gallery.php?s=&action=viewphoto&photoid=1957
Assembled
http://www.v-driveboat.com/gallery.php?s=&action=viewphoto&photoid=1986
At the lake

ECeptor
11-01-2005, 07:41 PM
I just got a call from Loren and Garmin told him the GPS unit we were using tops out at 99.0mph....so it's safe to say we were running somewhere north of 100mph.
Now we have to find a handheld GPS with triple digit capability!

Carnivalride
11-02-2005, 04:47 AM
Since Ed brought this up does anyone have a recommendation for a GPS that will read 1/10ths with the triple digit that they like?
Thanks,
Loren