PDA

View Full Version : Cavataion plate material ?????

flattie
10-10-2005, 06:16 AM
Anyone know the alloy of the aluminu on the cavitation plates on a v-drive? I have one that is cracked and need to make another one

Stab-n-Steer
10-10-2005, 06:39 AM
6061-t6

GofastRacer
10-10-2005, 07:13 AM
Also make sure the grain goes front to back!..

flattie
10-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys your always a help

Razors Edge
10-11-2005, 06:50 PM
We have used 2024 t4 when we aint been able to get the 6061. I think one of them is weldable and the other isnt, not that we have ever attempted to weld a cav plate.
Can anyone confirm or deny, and which is weldable??

GofastRacer
10-11-2005, 07:26 PM
We have used 2024 t4 when we aint been able to get the 6061. I think one of them is weldable and the other isnt, not that we have ever attempted to weld a cav plate.
Can anyone confirm or deny, and which is weldable??
Not sure about 2024 but 6061 welds great!.. Like that boat in your avatar what kind of injectors you running, Crowers???.. :cool:

Razors Edge
10-13-2005, 02:42 AM
Tis a RonsRacing Injector. From what I understand, one of a very few they(he?) built after buying the stuff from Crower. It has "RRP" in the casting down in the middle of the trumpets. Came ready to bolt on with pump and pills etc.
I bought it off a local marathon jet boat guy who had imported it to put on a race boat he was taking to Canada to race at the World Champs. Turned out the Injection arrived here in NZ much later than hoped, and the race boat was already in transit to North America with carbs on it.
I dunno how they went at the champs, but they never got round to using the injection, so it was all still new when I got my hands on it, a couple of years later and a little dusty but cleaned up awesome, was a good find.
Motor runs alky, 468 cubes with Merlin heads, Chev steel crank, JE's, Carillos, Hunt Mag, Roller Cam etc, still wet sump at the mo' but not for much longer.

wsuwrhr
10-13-2005, 07:04 AM
2024 is not weldable.
Brian

GofastRacer
10-13-2005, 07:24 AM
Tis a RonsRacing Injector. From what I understand, one of a very few they(he?) built after buying the stuff from Crower. It has "RRP" in the casting down in the middle of the trumpets. Came ready to bolt on with pump and pills etc.
I bought it off a local marathon jet boat guy who had imported it to put on a race boat he was taking to Canada to race at the World Champs. Turned out the Injection arrived here in NZ much later than hoped, and the race boat was already in transit to North America with carbs on it.
I dunno how they went at the champs, but they never got round to using the injection, so it was all still new when I got my hands on it, a couple of years later and a little dusty but cleaned up awesome, was a good find.
Motor runs alky, 468 cubes with Merlin heads, Chev steel crank, JE's, Carillos, Hunt Mag, Roller Cam etc, still wet sump at the mo' but not for much longer.
I kinda thought they were Crower or Kinsler. Ron has only sold 5 sets of stacks since he bought out the injector division from Crower back in 90, and he just sold the last set last year and he's not making them anymore, you can still get parts though, and he's the only one you can get the 2 piece stacks from anymore!..

superdave013
10-13-2005, 08:10 AM
6061-T6 can be welded but it won't have the T-6 heat treating anymore. So if that matters you will need to send it out to be re-heat treated.

EXTREMEBOATS
10-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Even 5058 will work. Its still a marine grade . Just soft and not as corosion resistant as 6061. Oh yea it polishes sweet but dont take to anodize for crap. And from my experience it will all weld, but very in strength. It should be easy to find 6061, you can still order plates from Bergeron and I bet Rex could hook you up.I just looked them up from Bergeron,3/16" go for $120 a pair and 1/4" are $140. Call them and they will make what you need.480-834-1531 hope this helps.
Mike