PDA

View Full Version : Good Boat Business, positive only, I'll start w/Bob Teague

Charley
10-10-2005, 08:01 AM
So many threads about manufacturers and builders seem to be negative oriented, I wanted to put one up with the hopes that others might have a place to praise "GOOD BUSINESS" practices in the boating world.
I'll start with a simple yet positive decision made by my engine builder, Bob Teague.
I was slated to get 2 of TCM's 800 EFI's or 900 EFI's for my new boat, and as some of you know my wife and I just had a baby boy 9 weeks ago....This lil guy as well as my other 2 boys prompted me to re-evaluate the way I play... so many people crashing boats, some dieing etc.... well I made a decision to go with the new Viper motors(dramatically less HP) instead of the blower motors to make the likelyhood of trouble I could get in, lower. I have had these TCM blower motors on order for the better half of a year so telling Bob Teague I was cancelling my order was something I wanted to do face to face.... I kinda figured he would be pissed.... well he wasn't, in fact he was totally cool about it, even giving me moral support on my decision. I know he still makes a little money because he distributes the Vipers, but certainly not the cash he would make on 2 of his blower motors.
I basically wanted to start a thread, and give a little praise to a vendor in this business that has in my opinion, done the right thing by me and my family. I hope this thread doesn't fall off page 1 by noon ;) feel free to post on other positive experiences with vendors.

Havasu Hangin'
10-10-2005, 08:04 AM
I really enjoyed my dinner at Morton's last night.
Great customer service!
:D

cdog
10-10-2005, 08:08 AM
He ain't cheap! But he does good work. And he's ON TIME!

BRSTQUEST
10-10-2005, 08:35 AM
I would have to give two big "thumbs up" to Tom Papp Racing. Tom has done some work on my ride and has been a pleasure to work with. He takes the time to explain what the problem is and how he is going to fix it. He delivered before the promised date and is fair on pricing.

Mrs. Revndave
10-10-2005, 08:50 AM
I would give a thumbs up to Tom Papp racing and Dougans Racing engines.Both do great work and stand behind it. :D

Dribble
10-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Performance Offshore Marine.
Built my 99 Eagle Pacific and rigged my 03 Caliber 1.
Stand up shop that does excellent work, keeps all of their promises and does it at at insanely resonable prices.

Charley
10-10-2005, 09:11 AM
I really enjoyed my dinner at Morton's last night.
Great customer service!
Nice Choice!!!
Smartass :D
hey Im golfing in a tournament on tuesday at a place called the Braemar country club in Tarzana.... you know anything about it?? can I wear a sex pistols shirt there? :D

BRSTQUEST
10-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Well if we are also putting in .02 about food places I would go with Lawery's in Beverly Hills, went there last night.....wow and Vince's Spagetti in Ontario....best pasta around

JUST LOOKING
10-10-2005, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=Charley]So many threads about manufacturers and builders seem to be negative oriented, I wanted to put one up with the hopes that others might have a place to praise "GOOD BUSINESS" practices in the boating world.
I'll start with a simple yet positive decision made by my engine builder, Bob Teague.
I was slated to get 2 of TCM's 800 EFI's or 900 EFI's for my new boat, and as some of you know my wife and I just had a baby boy 9 weeks ago....This lil guy as well as my other 2 boys prompted me to re-evaluate the way I play... so many people crashing boats, some dieing etc.... well I made a decision to go with the new Viper motors(dramatically less HP) instead of the blower motors to make the likelyhood of trouble I could get in, lower. I have had these TCM blower motors on order for the better half of a year so telling Bob Teague I was cancelling my order was something I wanted to do face to face.... I kinda figured he would be pissed.... well he wasn't, in fact he was totally cool about it, even giving me moral support on my decision. I know he still makes a little money because he distributes the Vipers, but certainly not the cash he would make on 2 of his blower motors.
I basically wanted to start a thread, and give a little praise to a vendor in this business that has in my opinion, done the right thing by me and my family. I hope this thread doesn't fall off page 1 by noon ;) feel free to post on other positive experiences with vendors.[/QUOTE
:D Bob Teague Build 28sportcat motor from ground up and it is one sick motor and yes it cost but well worth it. HE has always done great work on my motors and would only use him for power, That is just a choice and everyone has one.Good luck with your new motor and good choice.

Havasu Hangin'
10-10-2005, 09:22 AM
Nice Choice!!!
We did talk about boats...just to keep this on topic. :hammerhea
Mrs. HH had the lobster (par for the course for her :notam: ) which made me take a second out on the house just to cover the bill.
Lawrys is nice (did it a couple months ago), but I thought it would be packed with SC fans...
That's par for the course for me! :hammerhea
hey Im golfing in a tournament on tuesday at a place called the Braemar country club in Tarzana.... you know anything about it?? can I wear a sex pistols shirt there? :D
I've never played there...that place is on the other side of the world for me.
Just to make you a little jealous...I am trying to work out a (free) trip to the "DCB" of courses in November...
...Spanish Bay and Pebble Beach. :D

BRSTQUEST
10-10-2005, 09:27 AM
"DCB" of courses........I got to play the "Godly Triade" of golf a few months ago.....Pebble Beach, Spyglass, and Spanish Bay.......What a golf weekend...Those places are unbelievable in their attention to detail and customer service.....That is one thing on the list of must do's in life.....now on to a Pam Anderson and a Carrera 4

Havasu Hangin'
10-10-2005, 09:33 AM
"DCB" of courses........I got to play the "Godly Triade" of golf a few months ago.....Pebble Beach, Spyglass, and Spanish Bay.......What a golf weekend...Those places are unbelievable in their attention to detail and customer service.....That is one thing on the list of must do's in life.....now on to a Pam Anderson and a Carrera 4
Man, I'd like to do all three. I'm just not sure it's in the cards this trip.
Pam Anderson and a Carrera 4? :idea:
I like the way you think....

BRSTQUEST
10-10-2005, 09:46 AM
THank you sir....They are all "classics"
Another outstanding place is Turtle Bay on the North Shore of Oahu.....By far the most relaxing place to spend a week.....Went in April and it was awesome.....service was first rate

Havasu Hangin'
10-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Another outstanding place is Turtle Bay on the North Shore of Oahu.....By far the most relaxing place to spend a week.....Went in April and it was awesome.....service was first rate
Very nice!
To keep this on topic, I would also like to say that Poipu Bay on Kauai has excellent service...
...along with Kaanapali and Kapalua on Maui. Although I hear that they are tearing down Kapalua for condos...very sad.

Not So Fast
10-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Talk about a thread going sideways :confused: Lets get back to motors, besides the little local custom shops what about Larry Peto in Phoenix, seems to have had a little succes here in the poker runs right :idea: NSF

Havasu Hangin'
10-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Talk about a thread going sideways....in Phoenix...
Yeah, I hear there are some good courses with some great customer service in Phoenix. I'm gonna be out there in January!

Jrocket
10-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Dave and Bryan both at DCB for the great customer service.
Gary Teague for great service and help with my motor project.
Tony at Extreme trailer for the great customer service when I really was in trouble.

Not So Fast
10-10-2005, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I hear there are some good courses with some great customer service in Phoenix. I'm gonna be out there in January!
:D :D :D :D :D :D NSF

BRSTQUEST
10-10-2005, 10:50 AM
How about Selman CHevy.....They (Jay) were the easiest people to buy a vehicle from.....I have got 5 or 6 letters thanking me and wanting to know if I was happy.....Good service

Charley
10-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Dave and Bryan both at DCB for the great customer service.
Gary Teague for great service and help with my motor project.
Tony at Extreme trailer for the great customer service when I really was in trouble.
Thanks for trying to get this thread back on course JR ;).... big smartass guys with power :hammer2: should get another moderator to rename him havasu highjacker

Havasu Hangin'
10-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks for trying to get this thread back on course..
You started it... http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//eek7.gif
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//person/hat.gif
PS- "back on course"? I hear Pelican hill is closing for a couple years?

Kilrtoy
10-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Dave called me and made me an offer I could not refuse and the rest is history....

Debbolas
10-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Prime Marine for fixing our prop and skeg last summer, so we could have a summer :D Driving the boat over to our house and backing it into our driveway :D
and of course Kachina Boats, :D for walking us through the design process, letting us put our son's skull on the engine cover, listening to our every whim, regarding our boats construction (aside from the elf on the side of the boat)
Louie & Missy & Shannon.................Thank you!!! :D

JUST LOOKING
10-10-2005, 01:48 PM
:D GOOD CHOICE NOW BRING IT UP TO CASTIAC SO I CAN GET A RIDE BRODave called me and made me an offer I could not refuse and the rest is history....

NashvilleBound
10-10-2005, 01:59 PM
So many threads about manufacturers and builders seem to be negative oriented, I wanted to put one up with the hopes that others might have a place to praise "GOOD BUSINESS" practices in the boating world.
I basically wanted to start a thread, and give a little praise to a vendor in this business that has in my opinion, done the right thing by me and my family. I hope this thread doesn't fall off page 1 by noon ;) feel free to post on other positive experiences with vendors.
I'll jump on that bandwagon...Bob gave me a great deal on the motor/drive. No drama. I would reccommend TCM to anyone.

Kilrtoy
10-10-2005, 02:06 PM
:D GOOD CHOICE NOW BRING IT UP TO CASTIAC SO I CAN GET A RIDE BRO
Come to havasu next weekend and i'll give you a ride......

dregsz
10-10-2005, 02:35 PM
well I made a decision to go with the new Viper motors(dramatically less HP) instead of the blower motors to make the likelyhood of trouble I could get in.
Food for thought
I can do a pair of new 598 CI Dart Carb, hydraulic roller cam, crate motors w 750 hp each, Dyno tuned and tested, for well under $30K for both. (632s for not much more)
By going big displacemant stroker the motors don't need to work hard to have lots of power.
Simple, dependable, big power, high quality, low cost.
Great customer service. (You can call me as much as you want, I love to chat w customers)
Thanks

MR HARLEY
10-11-2005, 08:10 AM
Great Choice on the Power Charley !!
Dave , Bryan , and Carlos have all been great to us and suggesting and ilmor motor was another plus for us ...
All in all DCB couldnt have asked for a better expierence !!
Come to havasu next weekend and i'll give you a ride......
Ill be in Havasu this weekend Kilr :wink:

superdave013
10-11-2005, 08:29 AM
I'll toss one in for Prime Marine.
They installed the v drive, strut, fins, cav plates, blast plates and took care of some bottom mods for me.
Not only was the craftsmanship top shelf but the way I was treated was top shelf also. They knew my budget and knew I'd be going over it. Mike would give me a call at each step. I knew what and when, oh and how much it was going to cost for every step in advance.
If someone wants something totally different then the masses Prime is your one stop shop.

bunny 166
10-11-2005, 08:56 AM
I'll toss one in for Prime Marine.
They installed the v drive, strut, fins, cav plates, blast plates and took care of some bottom mods for me.
Not only was the craftsmanship top shelf but the way I was treated was top shelf also. They knew my budget and knew I'd be going over it. Mike would give me a call at each step. I knew what and when, oh and how much it was going to cost for every step in advance.
If someone wants something totally different then the masses Prime is your one stop shop.
I'm with Dave and Deb....Prime Marine in Rancho Cucamonga is terrific! Darrin and I have been very happy with the service and staff there....Mike is just a wealth of knowledge and an all-around great guy. Anything you need they can take care of for sure!
I will also give props to Pat's Fiberglass in Upland....Don is awesome and does excellent work in a timely fashion....No dilly-dallying at that shop--in and out! You get what you pay for....not cheap, but worth it!! Good thread... ;)
Bid kudos to Paul Pfaff....Gordy is great and so is the shop!! Awesome bunch of guys. :D Also, a thumbs up to 714 Motorsports in Huntington Beach....awesome upholstery and stereo shop! Alan is very easy to work with, and work was done on time as promised! ;)
Oh, can't forget Bronson-Hill Propellers in Santa Ana....Super nice guy Joel can help with any prop repair or labbing.. :D

76ANTHONY
10-11-2005, 08:57 AM
bunny, you got pats number, i need some fiberglass work done?

bunny 166
10-11-2005, 09:01 AM
bunny, you got pats number, i need some fiberglass work done?
Don is the man, I'm telling ya'
Pat's Fiberglass
1531 B West 13th st.
Upland 91786
909-945-3089

76ANTHONY
10-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Don is the man, I'm telling ya'
Pat's Fiberglass
1531 B West 13th st.
Upland 91786
909-945-3089
thanks bunny :D

bunny 166
10-11-2005, 09:16 AM
thanks bunny :D
Sure! ;) Don is a good guy and does great work....good luck :clover:

amw
10-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Nice Choice!!!
Hey Charley greens are small and fairways are tight turf is poor but you will have fun It also depends what side they send you out on

PHOTOGLOU
10-11-2005, 10:20 AM
How about Selman CHevy.....They (Jay) were the easiest people to buy a vehicle from.....I have got 5 or 6 letters thanking me and wanting to know if I was happy.....Good service
Thank You Hope all is well

cyclone
10-11-2005, 10:25 AM
the only shop i know of that will work all night to deliver a boat on time. i've watched these guys bust their asses time and time again to get their customers boats to the water and their attention to detail is excellent.

Big Kahunaa
10-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Jetboatperformance.com good guy has helped me out with my pump rebuild

Keith
10-12-2005, 06:49 AM
Cyclone Speed and Marine. Jim really takes care of me, packs it real well to make it to Texas in good shape despite the beating that UPS tries to give it!
Jim, the seats are in the shop getting covered right now.

PowellScooter
10-12-2005, 06:52 AM
Well if we are also putting in .02 about food places I would go with Lawery's in Beverly Hills, went there last night.....wow and Vince's Spagetti in Ontario....best pasta around
Mama Cosas in Anaheim......Bella Mangia

superdave013
10-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Mama Cosas in Anaheim......Bella Mangia
shhhhhhh, don't tell anyone who doesn't already know. Makes my wait longer! lol

boxscore
10-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Just to make you a little jealous...I am trying to work out a (free) trip to the "DCB" of courses in November...
...Spanish Bay and Pebble Beach. :D
WTF?...What's my name?.... Skip?

Evil-E
10-12-2005, 12:38 PM
In Tucson we have a couple. AZ Pro Fiberglass does beautiful fiberglass and paint work. The owner Scott and his crew are top notch. Also, Larry and the people at Larrys Engine and Marine are also a pleasure to work with. Both have stayed past work hours to make sure I was taken care of.