PDA

View Full Version : child crying passes out and turn blue stop breathing

meaniam
10-10-2005, 09:55 AM
i was just wondering if anybody has had this happen to them. my nephu <sp>. he is 13 months old. great kid just demand attention. so here is what happened. we were outside just finished loading truck with wood. we all went inside me, my wife, my bro, his wife. she put the kid down in the living room to wash her hands. the kid started crying he stood up and took a deep breath and started walking to the kitchen. (gasping to try and get that last breath) he just never cuaght the breath fell face first on the floor she grabbed him immedeatly. checked to make sure he wasnt choking. he was completly limp turned blue fast eyes rolled back. she took him ran across the street to the neighbor who is a fireman. i called 911. my brother hit him on the back 3 time he took a breath finally after about a min and a half then did it agian. for like 20 second and then started to finally cry. the peramedic says his kid would do that, its like a panic attack they let all the air out of there lungs then their lungs collapse and in like 2 mins they start breathing on there own. the 3 peramedics didnt think he need to go to emergency, becuase he was responsive. and they hooked him up to machines and everything looked fine. he is seeing doctor monday mourning first thing. the kid has not done it since. and appears fine. it was just crazy. never seen anything like it.

Jyruiz
10-10-2005, 09:59 AM
It has never happened to any of my kids and I have never heard of it. I am glad your nephew is ok though.

Miss Perfect
10-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Wow, I've never heard of this either. Scary stuff!! I'm glad he's ok.

spectratoad
10-10-2005, 10:08 AM
I've heard of kids having a tantrum or crying and passing out because they hold their breath or whatever but this sounds a little over the top. Maybe he was throwing a fit and he did pass out because of it but I would see what the doc says. :confused:

HOOTER SLED-
10-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Mrs. HOOTS here......
My son started to do that but he didn't pass out.............. Scared the sh*t out of me!!!! I can't even imagine if he was to pass out...........

Mohave Vice
10-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Never happened at our house. Best to your family on this one. Some scarry stuff!!

ONAROLL
10-10-2005, 11:36 AM
When anyone is breathing too fast (screaming) adequate gas exchange does not take place in the lungs. i.e. absorb o2 and blow off co2, with co2 buildup in the bloodstream it signals the body to stop breathing, at this point when enough co2 is discharged adequate respirations resume, like your buddys crazy ass girlfriend with a panic attack after you put a bag over her head, I mean have her breath into a paper bag........Vic

Charley
10-10-2005, 02:15 PM
This is very interesting.... We have a lil guy and are trying to practice a little self soothing to. In other words when you know he isn't hungry or doesnt need to burp and is crying just to be picked up we let him cry a while....(1 minute) more than 1/2 the time he self soothes and calms himself(which we think is good) ..... If I tell my wife this story she will wanna grab him everytime....btw thanks for the medical description Onaroll...makes sense and it's good to know your body does this for a reason, and re-starts!

Debbolas
10-10-2005, 02:31 PM
I've heard of 2yr olds doing this, where they get so angry if they don't get their way, they hold their breath and pass out....Not at 13 months.....

riverroyal
10-10-2005, 03:53 PM
it,actually kinda common,but still consult a pediatrician,,,,,since i cant speel

missboatnam1
10-10-2005, 04:15 PM
that is crazy...i never heard of anything like that... :2purples:
so glad hes O.K...

Silver
10-10-2005, 05:11 PM
How about a spanking or I good talk about stopping that behavior!
It's self induced........the little one needs to learn it's not all about him....if the problem doesn't get nipped in the bud, it will just get worse as the years go on!
Sorry if this seems harsh to some of you...
Glad he is ok.

HocusPocus
10-10-2005, 05:12 PM
that would happen to my first daughter.. it happened 3 times.. and each time she was fine. when we told the doctor about it, he didn't seem worried at all.. just said after she passes out.. she would start breathing again. he must have been right.. she will be 16 in january. :)

uvindex
10-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Glad to hear that your nephew is OK. :) The following is from WebMD:
Breath-holding spells
Breath-holding spells are brief periods—usually lasting no longer than a minute—when a young child stops breathing. These spells usually result from anger, fear, pain, or frustration and are not a deliberate behavior on the child's part.
The two main types of breath-holding spells are cyanotic, caused by the change in breathing pattern, or pallid, caused by a slowing of the heart rate.
Breath-holding spells are most common in children between 6 months and 4 years of age. Breath-holding spells are usually not serious and do not cause permanent damage or affect a child's future health. Most children gradually outgrow them.

Dusty Times
10-10-2005, 06:26 PM
My first daughter did it and I was told by my parents that I was a pro at it. Just a version of fit throwing. Still scared the hell out of me every time my daughter did. I would blow in her face when she started to do it and some how it would distract her enough to stop. The child does have to concentrate to make them pass out.

meaniam
10-11-2005, 05:36 AM
i dont really know how much a 13 month old would understand other then no. kid is still in baby mumbling stage. it did start as a fit. and they normally let him cry himself out. he is seeing a doctor today. im proably sure he is all right. just freaky as hell. now this kid will have everybody waiting hand and foot on him. (or he will pass out) he maybe just an attention *****. i need to find some huge white sunglasses for him. just joking. starting to think about it he use to cry himself asleep. i wonder if its the same thing.
it as just amazing. im usually have a cool head in an emergency. but i did have a feeling of panic. but still functioned the way i should have. in calling 911 right away. and trying to relax my bro and wife so they can thank. sure as hell makes me think twice about having kids of my own.
thanks for all the well wishes
mike

Dusty Times
10-11-2005, 07:30 AM
It's a good thing my grandmother was there the first time my daughter did it. Her knowing all about me and how to react made it easier but we still freaked. Asked the doctor the next day and he reasured us it was fine.
I hope my new kid doesn't pull this!

HOSS
10-11-2005, 07:43 AM
God thats scary. I 13 month old does that almost to the poibt of not breathing when he gets mad. I hope this never happens. :eek:

MsDrmr
10-11-2005, 08:10 AM
I have heard of this, however, what I have heard as a way to stop it, is that you blow in their face really hard and they will gasp for air forcing them to breath....Many children learn ealy on how to get what they want

redi4fun
10-11-2005, 08:17 AM
I have heard of this, however, what I have heard as a way to stop it, is that you blow in their face really hard and they will gasp for air forcing them to breath....Many children learn ealy on how to get what they want
This often works very well. Blowing hard in their face often forces them to gasp for air. Kids will usually grow out of this behavior. :D

JackieV
10-11-2005, 01:47 PM
I've had to do that a few times then I'd like too. My little one will be two in just a couple of months and has temper tantrums like a mother!
But in the past when she has cried and helled in her breath I'd blow in her face, she's finally breath. It would piss her offf even more so, but she'd breath.
Now she gets "time-out" in the time-out chair for a minute and a half or one spanking on her bottom and then time-out. (Just depends on the circumstances)
Glad your nephew is alright. He'll get over it and soon you'll be able to laugh at him about how he would do crazy stuff like this.
:D :clover:

MsDrmr
10-11-2005, 02:03 PM
I forgot all about that part where it makes them more angry....They get more mad and I laugh...go figure. :wink:

topless
10-11-2005, 02:03 PM
It's self induced........the little one needs to learn it's not all about him....if the problem doesn't get nipped in the bud, it will just get worse as the years go on!
Glad he is ok.
How many kids do you have and how are you such an expert on this subject? I myself have heard of this but never had to deal with it.

JackieV
10-11-2005, 02:40 PM
I forgot all about that part where it makes them more angry....They get more mad and I laugh...go figure. :wink:
Yes, lol it's hard not too. They just get so mad! :cry:
:p

riverroyal
10-11-2005, 02:41 PM
see the bear replacement?

meaniam
10-11-2005, 04:44 PM
the kid at 13 months already knows how to stick it to mom and dad. ill just do it tell i pass out and turn blue. ill show you

Artv
10-11-2005, 09:53 PM
see the bear replacement?
No who?
It's me -------Jackie

FOUNTAINATLAST
10-11-2005, 10:40 PM
sure as hell makes me think twice about having kids of my own.
Don't change your mind about kids because of this, yes it was a scary situation. I've learned something new here, I've never heard of this happening but my 20 month old has his share of temper tantrums. Something to remember!!!!
I never wanted kids, but acccidents happen. Let me tell you it was the best thing that ever happened in my life, don't miss out on it!!!!

Old Texan
10-12-2005, 06:41 AM
Glad he is ok.
The kid is 13 mos. old for heaven's sake. Nothing wrong with spanking, but I'd wait until an age when he could comprehend at least. :idea:
We raised 2 daughters and have 4 grandkids. I've seen my share of fits but never had the pass out happen.

MAINEVENT
10-12-2005, 07:13 AM
Glad he is ok.
Very true I agree here.... my daughter tried this at her 1st B-day and it continued for a few weeks a good spanking everytime she did it got rid of it quick ;)

91nordic29
10-12-2005, 07:28 AM
when my nephew was 9 mos old, he fell down and bumped his head on the tile floor. he was crying so hard that he actually LOST his breath, passed out and turned blue. tried blowing in his face but didnt work, so did mouth - to mouth. finally he started breathing by the time the paramedics got there. they took him for observation, probably more for the bump on the noggin but that was one of the scariest things!