PDA

View Full Version : Flushing 496HO?

Wizard29
10-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi all,
I have the 496HO in my Magic and am getting it ready to put away for the winter. I want to flush the water out of the cooling system, but I did not get an owner's manual from the previous owner. It is kept at Cottonwood where temperatures can be freezing during the winter.
I understand the concept of using that little hand pump to pressurize the system and have the water come out of the bottom of the engine (from somewhere), but is there anything else I need to do/be aware of?
Also, does anybody know if an owner's manual is posted online somewhere?
-Joe

Man-de-lone
10-11-2005, 12:17 PM
I have the manual at home and can look up that part for ya, but it won't be until tonight......
I have looked online but no luck in the past. Did you try a "winterizing a 496HO search"??

Not So Fast
10-11-2005, 12:44 PM
Does it get cold enough for a long enough time to actually freeze water with anti freeze in it?? Is that why you want to drain it? I've talked to some knowledgable people here in Havasu about this and even though it gets close to freezing sometimes, it always warms up during the day. I was told unless it is frigid for a long period of time (say a couple of weeks and during the day time also) that you do not have to do this. Maybe Keith Sayre can jump in here, or Snake Wrench, Anybody ??????????? :idea: NSF

Wizard29
10-11-2005, 12:55 PM
NSF, I'd like to empty the heat exchanger and anything else that contains only water. I do believe the heat exchanger contains both antifreeze as well as regular water, but in separate circuits. The boat is kept at Mojave, where periods of extended cold are much longer than Havasu due to the higher altitude.
Man-de-lone, if you get a chance to check that in the owner's manual for me, that would be great.
Any tips from anybody on how to completely evacuate the drive and/or the intercooler for the procharger would be of some help too....
-Joe

Quality Time
10-11-2005, 12:57 PM
I believe he is referring to the raw water cooling system, not the closed water system. The 496 has both. If in doubt, flush the raw water system. Better safe than sorry. To really do it right, refill the raw water system with water/anti-freexe mixture. Grew up in the midwest, been there done that.

Wizard29
10-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Yes, I think I should have been more clear. I would like to evacuate the raw water portions of the system. The antifreeze circuit is in good shape and can stay...
-Joe

Not So Fast
10-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Yes, I think I should have been more clear. I would like to evacuate the raw water portions of the system. The antifreeze circuit is in good shape and can stay...
-Joe
Gotcha :smile: I guess I'm lucky in that I usually take the boat out for a little exersise every three weeks or so, nothing sits for too long, being retired it gives me something to do anyway and Havasu is very pretty in the winter :) Good luck NSF

Not So Fast
10-11-2005, 01:48 PM
I guess my sig line picture tells how it is during the winter huh? NSF

Chromegorilla
10-11-2005, 01:56 PM
OK winterizing a 496HO 101.....
1. Attach affixed hand pump.
2. Pump until relief valve lifts ( Like 30 secs later).
4. Water drains out.
3. Done, go drink a beer.
The closed cooling part loop on my motor has only antifreeze/coolant in it. No need to worry about it. The air pump will remove the water in the raw side. No problemo. Just be sure to reset the vavle before the first start up afterwards.
I was talking with a dealer in the nort east and was talking about the 496HO boats on their lots and that is all they do to winterize. Nothing more and they have never had a problem. The nice part is that even if your boat is "winterized" all you have to do is reset the valve put boat in water and fire her up. Just verify you have water flow coming out the exhaust... it seems like forever the first time but it will come. Then afterwards pump out water and put boat away again.

riverroyal
10-11-2005, 02:48 PM
i wouldnt do it,i have the same set up.It wont get cold enough to freeze.Also water actually keeps things lubricated,if you dry it out then seals,hoses,metal surfaces etc can dry out.Winters not that long,grab a beer,be in the water in less than 25 weeks!

Beer-30
10-11-2005, 03:57 PM
I would only worry about it if it was parked outside. Unless it is going to get into minus temps. Being parked inside and the engine being under / inside an insulated environment (engine bay), it shouldn't get cold enough to freeze the raw water.

Wizard29
10-12-2005, 08:13 AM
Thanks to everybody for the input. When I head up there this weekend, I'll probably just do the pump thing and leave it at that.
Batteries have frozen on us up at Mojave before, so I figure better safe than sorry on the engine too....
-Joe

Riverjet502
10-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Gosh guys you are making me jelous of those that get to play with their toys year round. I'd like to know what that is like one day...All tho the winter lay up is good for making repairs and mods for the coming spring...

Beer-30
10-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Well, yeah, that has to happen too. But with a lake 17 miles away, I just pull it out there once a month to run it around. Stationary time hurts internal combustion motors. Pistons, rings, and valves sitting in one position for months shortens the life.
I took it out Jan 15th. 38 degrees, foggy. We were just in sweats and jackets. Ran around the lake part-throttle for half hour or so. Keeps the boat happy.

Wizard29
10-12-2005, 09:19 AM
Well, yeah, that has to happen too. But with a lake 17 miles away, I just pull it out there once a month to run it around. Stationary time hurts internal combustion motors. Pistons, rings, and valves sitting in one position for months shortens the life.
That will probably be my plan this year too. We're up at the Mojave house a few times during the winter to go offroading in the area and now that I know how easy it is to get the water out of the system, I'll probably drop the boat in the water a few times during the winter just to run it. Either that or hook the hose up to it and run it on the trailer for a minute....
-Joe

Beer-30
10-12-2005, 09:29 AM
That will probably be my plan this year too. We're up at the Mojave house a few times during the winter to go offroading in the area and now that I know how easy it is to get the water out of the system, I'll probably drop the boat in the water a few times during the winter just to run it. Either that or hook the hose up to it and run it on the trailer for a minute....
-Joe
Very wise. It's kinda fun just to grab a few buddies and head out in the cold. The only nasty part is walking into the water to catch the boat.

Wizard29
10-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Very wise. It's kinda fun just to grab a few buddies and head out in the cold. The only nasty part is walking into the water to catch the boat.
Talk about shrinkage.
I usually drive mine all the way up onto the trailer. Nobody gets wet that way...

Quality Time
10-12-2005, 03:21 PM
If you have them, don't forget the sea strainer(s) :D

dicudmore
10-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Screw that...I drive it on :wink:
Winter boating can definitely be some of the best times :cool:

Beer-30
10-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Screw that...I drive it on :wink:
Winter boating can definitely be some of the best times :cool:
I'm still anal about the bow. Probably overly cautious, but I'll get over it.
It's just hard when you're seeing two trailers! :2purples:

dicudmore
10-13-2005, 06:57 AM
I'm still anal about the bow. Probably overly cautious, but I'll get over it.
It's just hard when you're seeing two trailers! :2purples:
my boat is about to go by-bye so let me know when you're ready for some BV cruising and in need of a boat bitch, and if you're seeing 2 trailers I'll drive it on for ya

Beer-30
10-13-2005, 09:16 AM
my boat is about to go by-bye so let me know when you're ready for some BV cruising and in need of a boat bitch, and if you're seeing 2 trailers I'll drive it on for ya
I was curious about your sale attempt. I'll call ya when we are planning another day or two out there. Usually hook up with another real cool local with a 27' Advantage. Since YOU wouldn't ever come back me up on the big-boat-BV thing. :cry:

dicudmore
10-13-2005, 04:42 PM
I was curious about your sale attempt. I'll call ya when we are planning another day or two out there. Usually hook up with another real cool local with a 27' Advantage. Since YOU wouldn't ever come back me up on the big-boat-BV thing. :cry:
my boat has been to BV, but it has been stored in Havasu since April and I currently have nowhere to keep it out here

Beer-30
10-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Excuses, excuses. :cry: