PDA

View Full Version : Boat Ramp Stories

Old Texan
10-12-2005, 07:00 AM
I was just reading an old outdoor mag article about boat ramp incidents. A Georgia DNR officer told of the 3 Bubbas lauching their pontoon boat. Seems no one could back the trailer down the ramp so after several tries Moe the smart stooge got the idea to unhook the trailer and back 'er down by hand.
Well when the wheels hit the slope, down the ramp she went, shooting out about 150 feet into the lake. Several minutes later the bungee cords securing the boat to the trailer gave way and to the bottom went the trailer.
The boys just stood there with a look of bewilderment. :D :D :D
At the ramp on Lake Sidney Lanier where we usually launch are a couple old guys who often show up on weekends with a cooler and lawn chairs to watch the ramp action. I've kidded with them several times about when the book is coming out about all the crazy stuff they have seen. They have some stories....lol

76ANTHONY
10-12-2005, 07:03 AM
i have no such stories i am perfect goning down any ramp at anytime, notyep ive seen some funny ones :D

Havasu Hangin'
10-12-2005, 07:07 AM
Where's the dog story?

Flashover
10-12-2005, 07:08 AM
we saw a guy this summer who made his own pontoon boat. The funny thing was that the pontoon boat and the trailer were all one peice. so he would try to go crusing with this hitch on the front and four wheels underneath. it was just a steel frame and wood planks for a floor and 2 pontoons, they used lawn chairs for seats and a troling motor for the power. Needless to say the second that thing hit the water the rangers had him nailed. It also had a full size gas BBQ on the deck. funniest lookin thing i ever saw hit the water. :crossx: :crossx:

HocusPocus
10-12-2005, 07:50 AM
site 6 lake havasu.
a guy was pulling his boat out of the water.. his wife was was no help and just stood on the side of the truck. after he got hooked up he pulled up a little then got out to check to make sure the boat was going on straight. while out of the truck his kid (small not sure how old) released the emergency brake and the truck started rolling back into the water. by the time the guy was able to get back in the truck and stop it.. the bed was floating and slowly began to sink. he had to wait until it touched bottom before he could drive away. by then water was in the cab. after pulling out he opened his doors and water spilled out.. lots of water.. then he decided to open the tail gate to let the water out of the bed.. as soon as he released the latch the water slammed the tailgate down and knocked him to the ground. the whole time his wife just stood there and yelled instructions. i wish i could have helped the guy but i was floating in my boat waiting for my wife to get the truck & trailer. i have to admit it sure is nice having a wife that has no problem pulling or backing down a trailer.. all i have to do is wait for her to get down the ramp then pull the boat onto the trailer.. she hooks it up and drives off.. i never gotta get out of the boat. :)

All IN
10-12-2005, 07:52 AM
I wish the web cam will include volume. Launch ramp late in the afternoon is great form of entertainment.

MsDrmr
10-12-2005, 07:57 AM
There was a post several years back of all different launch stories, I remember reading them and just rolling from some of the stupid things people do....

bunny 166
10-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Where's the dog story?
Post #28, page 2....
I think that's it, but not the original....
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29215&page=2&pp=25&highlight=humping+dog
So damn funny..... :p

MsDrmr
10-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Good morning Bunny

bunny 166
Good morning Bunny
Morning Andrea....where's my email for the day? :D

JetBoatRich
we saw a guy this summer who made his own pontoon boat. The funny thing was that the pontoon boat and the trailer were all one peice. so he would try to go crusing with this hitch on the front and four wheels underneath. it was just a steel frame and wood planks for a floor and 2 pontoons, they used lawn chairs for seats and a troling motor for the power. Needless to say the second that thing hit the water the rangers had him nailed. It also had a full size gas BBQ on the deck. funniest lookin thing i ever saw hit the water. :crossx: :crossx:
where was the camera?

MsDrmr
10-12-2005, 08:12 AM
Morning Andrea....where's my email for the day? :D
good question, I guess I need to go on a quest and get some for ya.... :idea:

bunny 166
10-12-2005, 08:14 AM
Hee hee....No need to go on a quest....the guys are so funny about guy pics being posted!! :rolleyes: :p

Miss Perfect
10-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Ummm yes you do! :wink:

pjones
10-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Post #28, page 2....
I think that's it, but not the original....
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29215&page=2&pp=25&highlight=humping+dog
So damn funny..... :p
THAT is classic....!

Flashover
10-12-2005, 08:19 AM
where was the camera?
I wish we had the camera, It will be with us for sure now. Unless my dum ass forgets it... :D :D

MsDrmr
10-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Hee hee....No need to go on a quest....the guys are so funny about guy pics being posted!! :rolleyes: :p
yes they are, as many womens pics that are posted, I don't think a few guys' pics here and there are gonna kill them. They know they're loved.

KACHINA KEN
10-12-2005, 08:32 AM
My fav is the chick trying to back her trailer in at site six and everybody giving her shit and yelling. When she did get it in finally and the husband got the boat on the trailer he promtly went to the glovebox, got his gun and walked up to one of them and shot him in the face.

Biglue
10-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Man that dog story was too funny. :D

bunny 166
10-12-2005, 08:38 AM
My fav is the chick trying to back her trailer in at site six and everybody giving her shit and yelling. When she did get it in finally and the husband got the boat on the trailer he promtly went to the glovebox, got his gun and walked up to one of them and shot him in the face.
OMG!! Really?? How scary....

bunny 166
10-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Man that dog story was too funny. :D
It's a classic Lue.... :D

Jbb
10-12-2005, 08:41 AM
When I used to use the public ramp......we put my Edge in on a very busy Saturday...the little courtesy dock was, as always packed with boats tied up....and I always wanted to avoid any....gelcoat contact anyway ......I would just swim out to the nose of the boat and hoist myself up on the deck...any away I went....this time the front of the left sponson caught my swimsuit leg....I went up...they went down......a fully loaded dock and ramp got mooned.......got quite an ovation from the crowd.....and a red face.... :p

bunny 166
10-12-2005, 08:42 AM
When I used to use the public ramp......we put my Edge in on a very busy Saturday...the little courtesy dock was, as always packed with boats tied up....and I always wanted to avoid any....gelcoat contact anyway ......I would just swim out to the nose of the boat and hoist myself up on the deck...any away I went....this time the front of the left sponson caught my swimsuit leg....I went up...they went down......a fully loaded dock and ramp got mooned.......got quite an ovation from the crowd.....and a red face.... :p
Yowzaaa...good one Bri....Hope the water wasn't too cold..... :crossx:

Jbb
10-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Yowzaaa...good one Bri....Hope the water wasn't too cold..... :crossx:
About that Avatar....................................... :yuk:

bunny 166
10-12-2005, 08:44 AM
About that Avatar....................................... :yuk:
Hey! No thread jacking....this is launch ramp stories only...... :D

Jbb
10-12-2005, 08:45 AM
Hey! No thread jacking....this is launch ramp stories only...... :D
Phone restriction for you.... :mad:

Mike.A
10-12-2005, 09:05 AM
A couple of years ago back in Colorado, this guy with a whacker loads his boat on the trailer and pulls out, dragging his prop all the way up the ramp.
Left an 1 inch gouge in the asphalt all the way up. Everybody was yelling at the guy to stop but he kept on going. When he did stop we told him what he had done, then he started to yell at his wife about how stupid she was, she had nothing to do with it. He did it all by himself and couldnt handle the flogging he was taking so the poor mrs gets the brunt of his stupidity.
Many other stories but this one really sticks in my head.

MsDrmr
10-12-2005, 09:16 AM
good one...I bet they enjoyed that.

DUSTINU
10-12-2005, 09:19 AM
A few years ago a new, I mean NEW bayliner style boat was launching in needles, he had un-tied the back and front before backing down the ramp. Well he was scraching his head looking at his boat docked on the ramp, about 10 feet from the water. His life vests were still wrapped in plastic. A bunch of peeps, a few 2x4's later and he was on his way. :confused:

79Challenger
10-12-2005, 10:32 AM
The ramp at our little park outside Blythe, has a 3' drop off one side. We watched this guy try to get an empty trailer down the ramp for about 15 minutes. Using an old Bronco with a front hitch! He finally gets the boat on gets in the truck, throws it in reverse, backs up and off the side of the ramp. Now if this were a full size bronco it might not of bee that bad. But being a bronco2 it went right on its side. It took two trucks an hour to get it out of the water, and another 30 minutes getting the boat and trailer fished out.

Boa1277
10-12-2005, 10:49 AM
I have a friend who purchased his first boat a nice 24ft Nordic or something like that, he even payed for the upgraded galvanized roller trailer, first time on ramp he unhooked boat at top of ramp as he was backing down (Black Meadows launch ramp) the boat rolled right off the trailer and lands smack in the middle of the ramp he had 4 people in the boat at the time. I know there is pictures somewhere I will get on the phone and try a round a couple up.

Punchy
10-12-2005, 12:13 PM
As a kid, my family and I always stayed at the VIP area at the Crazy Horse right across from the launch ramp. I have so many stories, it's hard to remember them all. This one time, this guy cruises up to the launch ramp drunk out of his mind in this huge Campbell-like boat, with a bunch of half naked women on board. His buddies back the trailer down and he proceeds to spend 15 minutes attempting to line his boat up with the trailer. He finally gets it on the trailer. The trailer was a roller set up and had a fixed bow bar that attached to the bow eye with a pin. Someone amongst the commotion drops the pin and then everyone is fishing around in the water for it. Not finding it immediately, this drunk a-hole sticks his finger through the bow bar and bow eye where the pin should have gone and yells to his buddy in the truck to pull her out. All of our yelling went unanswered and moments later everyone was fishing around for this jackoff's finger. Moments like these just got worse when a storm was rolling in. We would all just gather our lawn chairs together and watch the comedy ensue......

riverroyal
10-12-2005, 12:35 PM
few months back someone posted this,i saved it,I love ithttp://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/23712066motorhome_005.jpg

Wonderboy
10-12-2005, 12:56 PM
few months back someone posted this,i saved it,I love it
Yeah! That one is great!

BajaMike
10-12-2005, 01:38 PM
few months back someone posted this,i saved it,I love ithttp://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/23712066motorhome_005.jpg
Holy sh*t....what a bummer..... :2purples: :2purples:

2Driver
10-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Living in Havasu (many moons ago) my wife and I took out both the 21' Specta and a Stand-up Kawasaki. I towed the Specta with the CJ-5 and she took the stand-up in the back of our Toyota.
We had a good day on the lake then, following her home going up Jamaica Blvd, she gasses it and the JS 550.....you guessed it, goes out the back of the bed of the Toyota and lands in the street doing about 35 MPH. :rolleyes:

Benjhamina
10-12-2005, 01:52 PM
I saw almost the same thing as the RV at Katherines a few years back. This Dodge Durango I think it was got sunk trying to load some skis. He was DEEP though. Probably in 12 feet of water. It got dark while they were waiting for divers and his lights came on. They finally got it out maybe two hours later and he emptied the water, loaded the skis, AND DROVE AWAY. I don't even know how that is possible.

bighead
10-12-2005, 02:14 PM
After having my boat out of comission for repairs for a couple of months I seem to have forgotten the steps neede at the ramp to launch the boat, I forgot to unhook the transom tie downs and for 30 seconds could not figure out WTF was wrong with the picture I was seeing. Crowded ramp and I pulled a doofus move. I should have put a Bayliner sticker on.

YeLLowBoaT
10-12-2005, 03:57 PM
This story has been told to me by alot of diffrent ppl in the sac classic car club.... back in the earily 70s the car club was crusing around folsom lake and stoped by dyke 8. So they see this guy driving a brand new caddy and a 20 high power ski boat. after something like 20 mins they finally get the boat backed down. So a black guy dress up like yuppy sailor gets out with 2 black woman dressed up in evening wear. they get the boat stared and un hooked and then the car drives up with the trailer. Another black guy gets out in a full wetsuit goes to the trunk and pulls out a ski. he gets down the the water and drops the ski at the edge of the water puts it on. while he was walking down the ramp they were pulling a the boat around.... the boat is about 20 feet off the edge of the water ready to start pulling the guy on the skier. the skier still on dry land with half the ski in the water and half out yells "Make It happen' capt'n!!!" the boat takes off pulling the guy out of the ski and draging him down the ramp under the water. ( think underwater road rash) the boat goes about 500 ft makes a fast turn. go back to the dock pull the guy out of the water bloodied with the wet suit all but riped off. the captain runs back up the ramp gets the caddyand has a hell of a time backing it back down the ramp. they load the boat and haul ass out of there draging the drive all the way back up the ramp.
so if your every around folson lake and you hear some 1 yell "make it happen capt'n" you know the story behind it. the story was in the sac bee I wish I could find a copy.

TCHB
10-12-2005, 05:17 PM
We saw this guy get his wife so pissed off she was throwing life jackets, towels, and everthing she could get her hands on. I feel sorry for that poor guy. What ever he did he was going to pay for a long time.

mickeyfinn
10-12-2005, 07:06 PM
I was just reading an old outdoor mag article about boat ramp incidents. A Georgia DNR officer told of the 3 Bubbas lauching their pontoon boat. Seems no one could back the trailer down the ramp so after several tries Moe the smart stooge got the idea to unhook the trailer and back 'er down by hand.
Well when the wheels hit the slope, down the ramp she went, shooting out about 150 feet into the lake. Several minutes later the bungee cords securing the boat to the trailer gave way and to the bottom went the trailer.
The boys just stood there with a look of bewilderment. :D :D :D
At the ramp on Lake Sidney Lanier where we usually launch are a couple old guys who often show up on weekends with a cooler and lawn chairs to watch the ramp action. I've kidded with them several times about when the book is coming out about all the crazy stuff they have seen. They have some stories....lol
A neighbor and I used to do the same thing. We would take our cooler, chairs and some big white cards with numbers on them to the ramp when a little storm was brewing on a summer weekend. We would score the people as they loaded their boats with the cards. Was a lot of fun. We are on the south end of lanier and get all the peeps we call weekend warriors who only use their boats once or twice/year. It is amazing what you see. A lot of people act like they have to leave if it rains and it is like a massive panic at the ramps. If we want to do the lake on the weekend we go up towards Sardis Creek and put it.

ECeptor
10-12-2005, 07:27 PM
A neighbor and I used to do the same thing. We would take our cooler, chairs and some big white cards with numbers on them to the ramp when a little storm was brewing on a summer weekend. We would score the people as they loaded their boats with the cards. Was a lot of fun. We are on the south end of lanier and get all the peeps we call weekend warriors who only use their boats once or twice/year. It is amazing what you see. A lot of people act like they have to leave if it rains and it is like a massive panic at the ramps. If we want to do the lake on the weekend we go up towards Sardis Creek and put it.
I'm picturing the old critics (http://photos1.blogger.com/img/63/1259/640/waldorf_statler.jpg) from the muppets....

ECeptor
10-12-2005, 07:33 PM
The picture tells the story...
http://www.haycockfire.com/onscene/truck_tow2.jpg

northern baja
10-12-2005, 07:38 PM
So after spending a great day on the water we pulled up to the dock. I had my truck keys in hand and was making my way over the side when I lost my balance. I hooked my arm on the side and held myself out, but with my keys in hand had a hard time grabing the boat and dock and pulling them back together.
The slips close to the ramps are filled with water campers that really don't boat they camp in the marina on weekends to watch and organize parties. I dropped my keys inside the boat. grabed the dock and pilled the boat back to it and got out of the water. The watchers were so impressed that they gave me a stand ovation!

northern baja
10-12-2005, 07:45 PM
A guy showed up late this Summer with a fair sized cat and was somewaht different looking because the tow rig was a big tractor rig. The water level was down so big boats could only make it in and out on the left ramp. Of the 50 people standing around they were prefectly willing to watch this guy(unfamilar with this ramp) screw up his props and trailer by using the ramp on the right side.
What's up with this? Aren't we all just out having a little fun?!
I stopped him, and shared the situation, he explained he had driven an extra 70 miles from where he usually puts in because the low water had caused problems at his local ramp and he'd just gotten his props back from repair.
Gotta help where you can!

No Name
10-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Never make you're lady walk to get the truck while you sit in the boat.
I could never drop my women off at the dock and make her have to walk up to the truck and trailer while I’m floating in my boat drinking a beer. As far as I am concerned that’s the my job and that the way it is always done when we go out. I have a 30 foot Kachina and she gets it on and off the trailer perfect every time.
The best thing is I will be backing the trailer down the ramp and there will be a few guys with a smaller boat having a hard time getting it on the trailer. While my trailer is going into the water the little women is pulling the boat on it. It takes us about 30 seconds to hook it up and pull away. I like to look at there expressions while they wonder how this little lady whips the boat right on while they are having such a hard time. It’s priceless.

DeltaSigBoater
10-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Never make you're lady walk to get the truck while you sit in the boat.
The best thing is I will be backing the trailer down the ramp and there will be a few guys with a smaller boat having a hard time getting it on the trailer. While my trailer is going into the water the little women is pulling the boat on it. It takes us about 30 seconds to hook it up and pull away. I like to look at there expressions while they wonder how this little lady whips the boat right on while they are having such a hard time. It’s priceless.
The way it should be done.

OGShocker
10-13-2005, 06:54 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/23712066motorhome_005.jpg
He'll never get the smell of Elsinore out of the Bounder. He should have lit it on fire on his way out. :messedup:

jmm
10-13-2005, 10:55 AM
This story has been told to me by alot of diffrent ppl in the sac classic car club.... back in the earily 70s the car club was crusing around folsom lake and stoped by dyke 8. So they see this guy driving a brand new caddy and a 20 high power ski boat. after something like 20 mins they finally get the boat backed down. So a black guy dress up like yuppy sailor gets out with 2 black woman dressed up in evening wear. they get the boat stared and un hooked and then the car drives up with the trailer. Another black guy gets out in a full wetsuit goes to the trunk and pulls out a ski. he gets down the the water and drops the ski at the edge of the water puts it on. while he was walking down the ramp they were pulling a the boat around.... the boat is about 20 feet off the edge of the water ready to start pulling the guy on the skier. the skier still on dry land with half the ski in the water and half out yells "Make It happen' capt'n!!!" the boat takes off pulling the guy out of the ski and draging him down the ramp under the water. ( think underwater road rash) the boat goes about 500 ft makes a fast turn. go back to the dock pull the guy out of the water bloodied with the wet suit all but riped off. the captain runs back up the ramp gets the caddyand has a hell of a time backing it back down the ramp. they load the boat and haul ass out of there draging the drive all the way back up the ramp.
so if your every around folson lake and you hear some 1 yell "make it happen capt'n" you know the story behind it. the story was in the sac bee I wish I could find a copy.
I thought I was going to piss my pants after reading this!!!!! :D