PDA

View Full Version : It Floats! 72 Kona

NautiII
05-11-2006, 08:07 AM
well, after all the work, it even floats, and runs! this was taken on its first outing after the rebuild and new paint. taken at Canyon lake.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3274Resized_DSC00672.jpg

Aqua Boogie1
05-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Nice!!!!!

460 jus getn it
05-11-2006, 08:19 AM
well, after all the work, it even floats, and runs! this was taken on its first outing after the rebuild and new paint. taken at Canyon lake.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3274Resized_DSC00672.jpg
nice, did you find the leak????????????????????????

NautiII
05-11-2006, 08:24 AM
nice, did you find the leak????????????????????????
not yet. filled the bilge, no leaks!??????????? will wait till this weekend and check. going to Saguaro if anyone will be out there!

460 jus getn it
05-11-2006, 08:31 AM
not yet. filled the bilge, no leaks!??????????? will wait till this weekend and check. going to Saguaro if anyone will be out there!wont be out til next weekend. have some more parts at the paint shop. man i didnt think i was going to do all this but it should look awesome when im done...

NautiII
05-11-2006, 08:35 AM
wont be out til next weekend. have some more parts at the paint shop. man i didnt think i was going to do all this but it should look awesome when im done...
ok. if you need any help on anything, dont hesitate to ask. cant wait to see it when it is complete!

460 jus getn it
05-11-2006, 08:37 AM
ok. if you need any help on anything, dont hesitate to ask. cant wait to see it when it is complete!
yea, its going to look great. Man, your boat looks great. do you have anymore pics. on the leak, check your hand hole cover, might be leaking from there...................

CARLSON-JET
05-11-2006, 09:22 AM
NautiII, congrats on getting her on the water. You did good. A couple of places can be held accountable for the leaks and can also be hard to trace down. The transom adapter has 2 potential places to leak. around the bowl and the transom itself. Packing seals on the pump shaft.Tthe packings need to drip as stated by timinator in another thread and provide cooling and lube for the seals. Be VERY careful to slowly adjust them. If adjusted to tight they can overheat. so go very slow. 1/8 turn untill it drips every 20-30 seconds. Packing seals might also just mist and not really drip. so just check that area for trace amounts of water. another spot that is sometimes prone to leak can be the intake itself if it has not been reset in 20-30 years. The intake to suction housing. and of course the cooling system can leak. The headers, I understand there are weep holes that need to drip. Sometimes the rubrails also leak small amounts when the waves get that high on the hull. A bow or transome eyelet/ring can allow water in also. it's a slow procces to chase them down but it could save some grief in the end to know where water is comming in... Good luck.. she looks great. R.B.

Devilman
05-11-2006, 09:28 AM
not yet. filled the bilge, no leaks!??????????? will wait till this weekend and check. going to Saguaro if anyone will be out there!
You may check your steering cable, where it passes through the steering tube. Doesn't look like much of a gap, but mine used to get quite a bit of water in the bilge through the steering tube.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2029steeringcableoutside.jpg
In this pic you can see that black hex nut on the end of the steering tube? It has an grease fitting & an O-ring, seals up the steering tube quite nicely. Bought it at the boat shop for around 19-20 bucks. No more leak, just a thought.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2812diverterup3.jpg

Devilman
05-11-2006, 09:32 AM
And don't wanna forget, Congratulations on getting it in the water! You brought that boat a helluva long way, now you get to enjoy all the hard work. Damn good feeling ain't it? Turned out sweet! :cool:

NautiII
05-11-2006, 01:09 PM
NautiII, congrats on getting her on the water. You did good. A couple of places can be held accountable for the leaks and can also be hard to trace down. The transom adapter has 2 potential places to leak. around the bowl and the transom itself. Packing seals on the pump shaft.Tthe packings need to drip as stated by timinator in another thread and provide cooling and lube for the seals. Be VERY careful to slowly adjust them. If adjusted to tight they can overheat. so go very slow. 1/8 turn untill it drips every 20-30 seconds. Packing seals might also just mist and not really drip. so just check that area for trace amounts of water. another spot that is sometimes prone to leak can be the intake itself if it has not been reset in 20-30 years. The intake to suction housing. and of course the cooling system can leak. The headers, I understand there are weep holes that need to drip. Sometimes the rubrails also leak small amounts when the waves get that high on the hull. A bow or transome eyelet/ring can allow water in also. it's a slow procces to chase them down but it could save some grief in the end to know where water is comming in... Good luck.. she looks great. R.B.
packing seals?? not sure what that is. sorry to sound stupid. it is not coming from the headers. just have to wait till I get it back in the water to see. it was a matter of about 4-5 gallons during the day.

NautiII
05-11-2006, 01:11 PM
You may check your steering cable, where it passes through the steering tube. Doesn't look like much of a gap, but mine used to get quite a bit of water in the bilge through the steering tube.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2029steeringcableoutside.jpg
In this pic you can see that black hex nut on the end of the steering tube? It has an grease fitting & an O-ring, seals up the steering tube quite nicely. Bought it at the boat shop for around 19-20 bucks. No more leak, just a thought.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2812diverterup3.jpg
Thanks D man, I will check that as well. I am REALLY glad it is back on the water!Thanks for your support throughout the whole ordeal!!

NautiII
05-11-2006, 01:12 PM
yea, its going to look great. Man, your boat looks great. do you have anymore pics. on the leak, check your hand hole cover, might be leaking from there...................
Ty, taking the boys out this weekend. will take some pics then! what is my hand hole cover?

Devilman
05-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks D man, I will check that as well. I am REALLY glad it is back on the water!Thanks for your support throughout the whole ordeal!!
No problem Nauti, I just did all the things you've been doing to your boat to mine a year ago, so I know what your talkin about. The deal with the steering tube leaking, it would leak while the boat sat in the water. Beached or tied off, wave action would push water through there. Before I put that nut on the end of the tube, I was going out & running the bilge pump constantly it seemed like. These other guys all have good ideas too, so make sure & check over those areas as well.
I'm guessing you have a Berkeley pump? If so check this link to the Berkeley site, you can familiarize yourself with the different parts of the pump mentioned.
Berkeley Pumps (http://www.berkeleyjet.com/products/default.htm) If you look under "Repair/Replacement Parts" you can get a exploded view of the pump with all the components labeled.... Hope this helps.:cool:
Keep the pics coming!

NautiII
05-11-2006, 05:44 PM
No problem Nauti, I just did all the things you've been doing to your boat to mine a year ago, so I know what your talkin about. The deal with the steering tube leaking, it would leak while the boat sat in the water. Beached or tied off, wave action would push water through there. Before I put that nut on the end of the tube, I was going out & running the bilge pump constantly it seemed like. These other guys all have good ideas too, so make sure & check over those areas as well.
I'm guessing you have a Berkeley pump? If so check this link to the Berkeley site, you can familiarize yourself with the different parts of the pump mentioned.
Berkeley Pumps (http://www.berkeleyjet.com/products/default.htm) If you look under "Repair/Replacement Parts" you can get a exploded view of the pump with all the components labeled.... Hope this helps.:cool:
Keep the pics coming!
D man, I have a Jacuzzi pump. will keep an eye on the steering tube though. thanks again!