PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need straight info on exhaust.

old school daycruiser
05-23-2002, 10:39 AM
My brain hurts from talking to salesman that "seem" to care more about pushing what they make the most money on, rather than letting me buy whats best. cough*cp*cough. I have a restored 25'Caribbean daycruiser that is getting a 450hp small block. (the small block is so my kids can sit back there). I am told so many things that don't jive. XX says that the Hardin Marine are junk, but they look good to me? they keep pushing Stainless Marine, but they actually dont look as tall or as long of runners. XX won't even discuss EMI, says they suck, but EMI says they're the best. Then I call SMI, and they say no more than 290 hp with a cast riser, but then the new "Hot Boat" has a readers rides in there thats claiming 400+ with SMI cast risers? My brain is killing me! I don't want to waste any money, because I got other things to buy.
To make it even worse, I cant make the decision whether to run straight out under the swim step, do a "captains call" or what until I buy manifolds. ANY advice is needed, I am workin' on it ALL weekend! Jay

Craig
05-23-2002, 11:10 AM
I went through the same dilema when I was looking for exhaust. I ended up going to a reputable shop that carried all the major brands, not just their own. That way I felt I was getting advice based on performance for my application, not the shop making the most money. I would call Teague (661) 295-7000, ask for Dino.
Craig

Havasu Hangin'
05-23-2002, 11:46 AM
Well, I'll throw my 2 cents in, since I was debating the same situation not long ago on my SBC daycruiser.
I went with EMI because they are good up to around 500HP. I didn't need anything bigger or better flowing...they work great. Over 500HP may get expensive with the exotic choices...
I ran mine under the swimstep (w/some "L" tubes from Eddie). My logic was that you want it quiet at idle, and come alive when your on plane.
As for the switchover valves, for me, that was just more money on something that would really get used. I mean, if it's quiet at idle, and loud (along with the wind noise) at speed, it was an easy choice. Also, I'm not sure how much turbulance is created by the valves...
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy25.gif

hulshot
05-23-2002, 07:34 PM
Hey I have a set of Gil/ Mercruiser Offshore wet exhaust risers with hoses and 4 inch tail pipes with flaps. All polished stainless with 6.2 hours on the sytem.

hulshot
05-23-2002, 07:35 PM
oh yeah they are for sale...

SPECTRABRENT
05-23-2002, 09:59 PM
How much?
Brent

hulshot
05-26-2002, 10:02 AM
spectrabrent, Where are you out of? I am in Sacramento area. What are you looking to spend? I don't need them anymore. I just spent 2400 on exhaust risers and tips as an uupgrade. I dont know the going rate on used risers.

summerlove
05-28-2002, 02:58 PM
Have you sold them. I may be interested. I just upgraded from thru-prop to thru hull, and likeHavasu Hangin, I, too, went below the steps. It is noce and quiet at idle and at plane, it sounds great. I am using the merc cast iron manifolds, and want to upgrade. PS: I don't think the capt'n call work on anytying but straight out, you may want to look into that if that's something you're interested in.

NEW 2 RIVER
06-01-2002, 08:19 PM
I noticed a few of you mentioned you upgraded from through prop exhaust to through hull exhaust.I have been considering it my self.What does the modification consist of?

Craig
06-02-2002, 05:28 AM
Pull the motor,remove the exhaust "y-pipe" that routes it to the outdrive, install a block off plate (inexpensive), put motor back in. Get some risers that direct exhaust straight back (or complete new manifolds), measure 19 times http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif to determine where the exhaust pipes will meet the transom, cut two holes in the transom, install new tips, hook the hoses up and go make some noise http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif Not really that hard if you're reasonably adept with some hand tools. Of course this assumes your transom is flat where the pipes would meet. Some boats require using "s" pipes to route the exhaust to the transom.
Craig
[This message has been edited by Craig (edited June 02, 2002).]

NEW 2 RIVER
06-02-2002, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the info Craig.Does anybody Know of any good marine shops that can make this modification for a fair price ?

hulshot
06-02-2002, 09:37 PM
summerlove I still have the exhaust riser set for sell.
new2river with the risers I have that go straight back it would be easy to install and straight edge to the transom to locate the tailpipes.

Mandelon
06-06-2002, 10:28 AM
Won't that put the tips below the water line if they're under the step?

summerlove
06-06-2002, 12:34 PM
Mandelon:
That's right. The exhaust tips are under water at idle speed, and once the boat takes off, the exhaust rise out of the water. There are baffles inside them that prevent backflow. Mine work great, and my buds have been using them for years in their old campbells...

BoatPart.Com
06-06-2002, 02:54 PM
Hey Old School. I know how you feel Its hard toget straigt advice on exhaust with people tryin to sell you Sh*t 24/7.
I just wanted to let you know... that when you do figure out what ever it is that you want I'll give you a good deal.
Rfahl
boatpart.com

hulshot
06-06-2002, 06:48 PM
The gil ofshores are above the water line. They sit 3.5 inches above the top of the transom ring and go straight back from the manifolds.
Hey boat part guy, why would I try to sell someone shit, The exhaust I have for sale is almost new and for half the price. I havent seen stainless steel go bad recently. Some people go new because money is no object to them and some try to save money by buying the same stuff but used. let them deceide not you. buy the way these so called shit exhaust dynoed on the motor with full water exiting at 864 HP. I say thats decent shit.