PDA

View Full Version : Big Problems? Help Needed

Avenger 1975
10-12-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm afraid I've got some major problems and need some trouble shooting from the experts. I've got a '75 Avenger 18 ft. with 455 Olds. Here's the sequence of events:
With the huge rainfall we had in the northeast my cover blew off and the boat nearly swamped. The water was over the exhaust manifolds. After the boat was pumped out I drained the oil, was a watery soup, and replaced oil and filter. I aired it out for a day. It started and ran fine, oil pressure was fine. I warmed it slowly and ran it a while just on plane, then pushed it a bit harder but never ran it very hard or very long. I checked oil pressure throughout and never saw any problems.
When idling back to the dock it started to die, I looked back and saw some black smoke, not a whole lot but some as I goosed it to try to keep it running. I pumped the pedal enough to get to the dock and stopped.
Thoughts? One other thing, I had some exhaust blowing past the exhaust manifold gasket at one point, could hear the blow-by, tightened the manifold but I think a corner of the gasket is blown. Let me know what you guys think is wrong.

Wicked Performance Boats
10-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Make sure your ign system is compelely dry, remove the cap and make sure it's dry inside. Then check the fuel system for water--all of it. Budlight

gregr1971
10-12-2005, 04:38 PM
time for a carb overhaul!

460rogers
10-12-2005, 05:32 PM
saw that once myself.Mine was a ignition problem.Check oil for gas now before you wash out the bearings like i did.

Avenger 1975
10-12-2005, 05:49 PM
I'll check ignition, I probably should pull all the plugs while I'm at it. Checking oil for gas - any way to do that without draining it? What would have put gas in the oil so soon after an oil change?
I'm hoping water in the gas is the problem, but why would it run OK for 25 minutes then have problems when idling down? I had maybe 5-6 gallons in the tank and added a fresh 5 gallons before starting.

460rogers
10-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Misfireing , not burning all fuel. It happened to me once.
Just see if oil is overfull or smells like gas.
If it had that much water in it i'd change it again anyway just to be sure.
Black smoke usually means rich.

Avenger 1975
10-12-2005, 06:12 PM
The carb was just rebuilt and engine was running great last week, so I don't think it is a carb problem.
I'll do another oil change.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-12-2005, 06:12 PM
like everyone else said. Check for water. That left me stuck at the lake and I was pissed off all day come to find out a wet dist.

sleekcrafter
10-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Wetness in the distrubutor base and or cap, and the problem gets worse when you get heat in the motor. Pull it clean and lube it and reinstall it, it will be a re-occuring problem if you don't. good luck
Sleek

blown428fe
10-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Avenger- Where are you in the Northeast?

Avenger 1975
10-12-2005, 06:50 PM
Lakes region of NH.

SmokinLowriderSS
10-12-2005, 07:13 PM
Leave the cap off a couple days in the heat to dry the distrib out. I'd wd-40 the inside of the cap, then hit it with carb or brake cleaner to wash the wd-40 out. The motor gets hot and boils any water in the base of the distrib, filling it with steam, very problematic. 25 min sounds just about right.

Avenger 1975
10-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Since we don't have much heat here this time of year will a blow dryer dry it out? I have some contact cleaner I can spray in the cap, leaves no residue.
I was worried I had a bigger problem, this is sounding more promising!

QuickJet
10-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Since we don't have much heat here this time of year will a blow dryer dry it out? I have some contact cleaner I can spray in the cap, leaves no residue.
I was worried I had a bigger problem, this is sounding more promising!
What carb(s) are yoiu running? If they are Hollys, pull the needle and seats and make sure they are clean.

Avenger 1975
10-13-2005, 03:37 AM
Its a Holley 650 that I just had rebuilt at Bigs Performance.

1975sleekcraft
10-13-2005, 04:01 PM
I have had a black smoke problem.mine ended up being a stickey float.the fuel pump just kept pumping gas out the overflow and into the carb(motor).thus i was running really rich.A couple of taps on the side of the carb and it went away(got to finish my day on the lake). sounds like carb-uration to me.
anyway thats my two cents worth----good luck.

Mr. Crusader 83
10-13-2005, 04:38 PM
MY QUESTION IS...........................
WHAT DUMB ASS STORES THEIR BOAT WITH THE DRAIN PLUG IN IT.
LOL :p

Squirtcha?
10-13-2005, 05:11 PM
MY QUESTION IS...........................
LOL :p
I do. Then again my boat's in the garage.
2001 truck sits in the driveway in 110+ heat with Arizona sun that'll fry a friggin egg (and my truck's paint).
The 30 year old boat gets the garage. Tell me my priorities aren't straight............

blown428fe
10-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Its a Holley 650 that I just had rebuilt at Bigs Performance.
Ive had bad luck with 650s holding adjustment for some reason.

BigBlockBaja
10-13-2005, 06:34 PM
2001 truck sits in the driveway in 110+ heat with Arizona sun that'll fry a friggin egg (and my truck's paint).
The 30 year old boat gets the garage. Tell me my priorities aren't straight............
Nah, just right if you ask me!

steelcomp
10-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Is this a problem??? I guess my priorities are just as screwed up.
Here's a pic of part of my living room. :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729priorities.jpg

DeputyDawg
10-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Way to go steelcomp ya friggin show off. Ya just had to place the huffer by the window so that everyone who passes by can be green with envy! Are you gonna string lights and popcorn around that baby come Christmas time? Maybe some roller rockers as ornaments?

Squirtcha?
10-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Crazy about that decorating style. Early american hotrod isn't it?
That's a window treatment (da blower) I could live with.

steelcomp
10-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Way to go steelcomp ya friggin show off. Ya just had to place the huffer by the window so that everyone who passes by can be green with envy! Are you gonna string lights and popcorn around that baby come Christmas time? Maybe some roller rockers as ornaments?
Now THAT's an idea!! :idea: Who needs a Christmas tree! "On Dasher, on Dancer, on Bahner with Blower..." :D
It's all about priorities, man. LOL!!!

Avenger 1975
10-13-2005, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE=crusader83]MY QUESTION IS...........................
Hard to store the boat at the dock with the drain plug out. Though now that I think if it I've tried that one too, launched a few boats with the plug out.