PDA

View Full Version : fifth wheel, lifted truck?

sixgunsam
10-12-2005, 07:40 PM
o.k., i have a 2000 f-250 with a 6" lift and 37" tires, wife and i are looking at fifth wheels and want to know if it is possible with this combo. is anybody running something like this?, how does it tow this high?, and most importantly, how does it look? thanks.

WetWillie
10-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Was looking for the same. Chevy 2500 CC and 4x4 want to so the CST 6 & 7 lift and 35" tires can i tow a fifth wheel??

victorfb
10-12-2005, 10:38 PM
some dealers will change the hight of the trailer to match your tow vehicle. alot of guys are running lifted trucks and towing 5th wheels to the desert. you can (buts its not recommended by the manufacturer) swap the axles so they are under the leaf springs which will lift the trailer a good 4 inches. but it will also be a bitch to get in and out of it unless you add another step. do a search for offroad forums and ask your question there. you should get much more responces from people who have allready been through it.

sigepmock
10-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Try Glamisdunes.com. I've seen the question a bunch of times over there. I think the answer is yes it can be done but there are some limitations and precautions that should be taken due to the higher center of gravity and larger profile to a cross wind.
Good luck,
Chris

riverroyal
10-13-2005, 02:00 PM
I have a stock F250 4X4,with 33s on it.My weekend warrior has about 6 inches of bed clearance under the front.Which means if my truck was lifted at all the axles on the trailer would need to be flipped.Which means the trailler would be over 13ft tall.In my opinion making it kinda unsafe to tow.Just a thought,I will have it hooked up tommorrow,I will post a pic to show you what it looks like

79Challenger
10-13-2005, 02:57 PM
some dealers will change the hight of the trailer to match your tow vehicle. alot of guys are running lifted trucks and towing 5th wheels to the desert. you can (buts its not recommended by the manufacturer) swap the axles so they are under the leaf springs which will lift the trailer a good 4 inches. but it will also be a bitch to get in and out of it unless you add another step. do a search for offroad forums and ask your question there. you should get much more responces from people who have allready been through it.
The problem with just swapping the axels to the underside of the spring is that the axel tube itself has a slight radius to fight fatiuge. If you just swap them your axels will have way too much camber. The mounting block on the axel has to be cut off and rewelded to the opposite side of the axel. This will work great. Of course if you are going brand new, I am sure you can order them that way.