PDA

View Full Version : Jet versus V....sorry guys

JETBOATODD
10-12-2005, 08:46 PM
I was wondering if I could get some good honest (as little biased as possible) oppinions as to what the whole v-drive verses jet drive debate is all about.
I currently own a 1980 Rogers custom jet boat and am very seriously thinking of buying my buddies '74 Sanger Hydro (pickle fork not shovel nose, inboard steering). This would be my first v-drive.
What I know so far: the Rogers is more of an all around cruiser with more room and rough water friendly / the Sanger is more of a short fast blasts smooth water thrill.....which seem to me to be more about the hull than the drive..........right?????
What I don't know: what's up with the love one hate the other dispute
........what am I missing?????

steelcomp
10-12-2005, 08:52 PM
You have thirty seconds to delete this thread :hammerhea :2purples:

Squirtcha?
10-12-2005, 08:53 PM
I can only speak for myself when I say............I don't hate v-drives. Someday I'd like to have one of each (jet and v-drive). Right now my jet is far more practical since I need 5 seats with my family.
Some of my bestest buddies are v-drivers.

dmontzsta
10-12-2005, 09:31 PM
:idea:
The main question is...
What kind of boating do you do?

bakerjet
10-12-2005, 09:41 PM
i can dig a v drive but got into jets and thats where i stayed.

H2OT TIMES
10-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Tell ya what..........Boats , Cars, it's the same story. My wife once heard me tell someone "I'm a Chevy guy" to which she promptly replied, who the hell are you trying to kid....You want every damned car you see! Know what?
She is right. Well same thing with boats. Jet guys give v-drive guys sh*t and vice versa just for the sake of giving each other sh*t. Truth be known the vast vast majority of us like a good lookin, good runnin boat no matter what it is.
Kind of like the Sailors VS Marines thing. It's tradition.
After all everybody knows Jar Heads are Naval Ground Forces.

olbiezer
10-12-2005, 10:02 PM
i had a jet and now have a v drive circle boat.......its just a mater of what u like.......sure had more room to move around in the jet.......but do love the idear of a prop over a jet drive ( more effecent most of the time) but hey.....jets can go in shallow water and so forth so like someone has all ready said it 6 of one and half dozen of an another.......some jets are faster and some v drives are faster......i never thought id ever have the fastest boat on the lake but i can say this.....99.9 percent of the bass boats dont pass me now like they did when i drove my 70 mph jet........

TRG
10-12-2005, 10:18 PM
the Rogers is more of an all around cruiser with more room and rough water friendly the Sanger is more of a short fast blasts smooth water thrill.....which seem to me to be more about the hull than the drive..........right?????
im gonna have to say that i am very stokked with the way my rogers accelerates/MPH, it could use a better ride (like a tunnel) but if you are looking for a more performance hull, in a jet boat, you have it!
if you are looking for more of a ride,...you wont find it in a hydro!
one is softball the other is baseball,...i think you need to be as honest with yourself as you can poss. be!
what kind of boater do you want to be?
sorry for the blabber, got some good pain med's!
Todd

DeputyDawg
10-12-2005, 10:27 PM
You got a Vicodin buzz going Todd??

TRG
10-12-2005, 10:55 PM
i have ni idear what my wifey has been feeding me today,...but all i know is now working! :eat: (and my pills are yellow!)
Todd

victorfb
10-12-2005, 11:02 PM
she's probably keepin the drugs and giving todd M&Ms.... :hammerhea
get well soon buddy boy, you got a race comin up. :)

victorfb
10-12-2005, 11:08 PM
sorry for the highjack. as for the jet vs v-drive deal, i think many have allready touched upon it. you need to ask yourself what type of boating you want to do. and allready having a nice jet boat hull (Rogers) it would be a tough decision. i absolutly love the way my rogers rides and probably wouldnt get into a v-drive unless it was over 21'. not that i dont dig em, i just dont think i can drive one properly with my disability. maybe take a ride in a similar boat like you are thinking to buy and compare. kinda like buying a new car. test drive.

QuickJet
10-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Keep the Jet. When you are ready for a V-Drive you won't have to ask anyone elses opinion. You'll just know it. :wink:

Sleek-Jet
10-13-2005, 05:25 AM
The V-drive guys get pissed because the Jet guys are out on the water all day, having fun, blasting around, sitting in the shade of their Bimini's, talking to women. :D While back on shore (trailers) the v-drive sausage fest is in full swing as they all sit around and talk about how fast their boat is.
Does that about sum it up??? :D :rolleyes:
All kidding aside, it really comes down to each his own. I grew up around whackers and I/O's, but ended up buying a jet because the price was right (and I didn't want a bass-boat). V-drives are cool, but more money, and have their own set of problems, as all propulsion systems do.

slotracer
10-13-2005, 05:33 AM
i ran my flatbottom for the first time this weekend and all i can say is it is a whole different set up then my jetboat or my eliminator with a outdrive. for fast fun the v-drive is great just have to watch where you go with the underwater hardware. drove my sons jet and went way back in th shallow stuff. like the other post said what kind of boating do you want to do. i have a problem with owning just 1 thing so i have a selection to choose from :rollside:
pat(slotracer) :coffeycup

superdave013
10-13-2005, 05:44 AM
Hydros just are not good all around lake boats. They do sink pretty easy ya know. Now if you only want a once in a while lake spanker then get it. But be sure that's all you want because that's all you'll have. Now mashing the gas on a bad ass hydro is only second to doing it to a bad ass flat. (Ok that was biased but it is cool)
Now if you want a v drive that's an all around lake spanker you might want to look into a bus! ;)
BTW, those Rodgers are cool little jetboats. Post a pic of that bad boy.

BUSBY
10-13-2005, 08:40 AM
I've had all three, jets/flats/hydro ... no bashing here ... it's (as they all said) preference ...
And Dave ... (I have to be biased here) ... driving my Hydro at 160+ is second to nothing! :D :devil:

79Challenger
10-13-2005, 09:00 AM
i have ni idear what my wifey has been feeding me today,...but all i know is now working! :eat: (and my pills are yellow!)
Todd
Little and yellow? Sounds like oxy. Very potent! Nice.
As for the jet vs. v drive debate. I am fairly new to this, but it seems it is alot cheaper and easier to go fast (80+) with a v drive.

superdave013
10-13-2005, 09:22 AM
I've had all three, jets/flats/hydro ... no bashing here ... it's (as they all said) preference ...
And Dave ... (I have to be biased here) ... driving my Hydro at 160+ is second to nothing! :D :devil:
you must have had a slow flat! haha j/k

atxwrangler
10-13-2005, 09:26 AM
here is acouple of pics of his rogers, sweet hull todd! :cool: http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10376IMG_1831-med.jpg http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10376IMG_1832-med.jpg

2Sangers
10-13-2005, 11:23 AM
I think you should buy the hydro and keep the rogers. I bought my sanger hydro last year and put the motor out of my sanger superjet in it. (blown 406 inch small block). The hydro runs 102 on gps while the jet used to run 78 on a good day. Now I have a normally aspirated small block in the jet with glenwood logs to use all weekend long 60 mph max, or I can get up real early and run the hydro for an hour or two max. The best of both worlds???

BUSBY
10-13-2005, 11:27 AM
you must have had a slow flat! haha j/k
ok ... you've got me on that one ... it was in the high 90's, low low 100's... but still had nothing on the 'dro ... something about that left foot having to do something ... after a few cold ones at Roadrunner ... I had to take it easy ... :D
but who am I to talk ... I have nothing to take to the river anymore :hammer2:

Liberator TJ1984
10-13-2005, 12:16 PM
IF you don't get the Hydro ???? I might be interested in it :rolleyes: :cool:
I promise to treat it Nice :crossx:

Unchained
10-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Now that I've had a taste of one of those I have to say.............
You guys are nuts.
I think I used to be a lot braver 20 years ago but all the years I spent doing extremely dangerous work in the rigging business now has me burned out. :D
When I told John Haas I wasn't a racer he said "you are a racer, you just don't know it yet" :idea:

olbiezer
10-13-2005, 01:04 PM
do u really want a hydro? even though i have a v drive flat i would have no interest in a v drive hydro......u talk about a trailer queen......the conditions would have to be perfect to run it just a few times a year........id love to have that red and yellow tunnel hull jet above though!!!!!!!

nielly
10-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Just buy both and get it over with. I love jets, but I can appreciate a nice V-Drive.

taylormanss
10-13-2005, 01:35 PM
hey todd email me,I found the perfect boat for ya over here in port arthur,actually there are a couple,I found a dimarco hydro,over here and I found a tx-19 they are both very good deals,but I think I would go after the tx-19! randall

BUSBY
10-13-2005, 01:42 PM
You guys are nuts.
Well ... someone has to be the stupid one ... I figured I would take one for the team! :D
Kyle Walker used to say when they were looking for who wanted to drive the boat, they would find the guy dumb enough to say they were willing to drive and put 'em in the seat ... unfortunately, it was always him! I think his train of thought rubbed off on me.

MAXIMUS
10-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Check with V-drive Video he has years of video footage & pictures to refer back on & could shed some serious light on this subject! Just ask him! :) Need more info on skiing he's your guy... :)

DeputyDawg
10-13-2005, 05:34 PM
originally posted by BUSBY
Kyle Walker used to say when they were looking for who wanted to drive the boat, they would find the guy dumb enough to say they were willing to drive and put 'em in the seat ... unfortunately, it was always him!
Would that be the same Kyle Walker that drove the Spirit of Texas TFH, and also used to drive a blown fuel jet?

JETBOATODD
10-13-2005, 07:36 PM
here is acouple of pics of his rogers, sweet hull todd! :cool: http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10376IMG_1831-med.jpg http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10376IMG_1832-med.jpg
Thanks Marty, I'm gonna send you them other pics tonight

JETBOATODD
10-13-2005, 07:38 PM
I think you should buy the hydro and keep the rogers. I bought my sanger hydro last year and put the motor out of my sanger superjet in it. (blown 406 inch small block). The hydro runs 102 on gps while the jet used to run 78 on a good day. Now I have a normally aspirated small block in the jet with glenwood logs to use all weekend long 60 mph max, or I can get up real early and run the hydro for an hour or two max. The best of both worlds???
102 with a small block??? That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!!

JETBOATODD
10-13-2005, 07:41 PM
hey todd email me,I found the perfect boat for ya over here in port arthur,actually there are a couple,I found a dimarco hydro,over here and I found a tx-19 they are both very good deals,but I think I would go after the tx-19! randall
You got it Randall, I wanna explore all options before I make the plunge....speaking of which..........Deputy Dawg you gonna send me them pics and info????
Todd
aka: the General
KIDFRIGGINROCK@hotmail.com

LakesOnly
10-13-2005, 07:45 PM
I think you should buy the hydro and keep the rogers...The best of both worlds??? That's pretty much what I did...kept my current jet boat and just went ahead and bought another boat. Two boats can be a handful at times with double the maintenance, storage, etc, (I'm still building the hydro) but so far it's been worth it.
If you have a warehouse or the extra land for all your toys, then I, for one, am jealous. All my toys and their parts are overflowing everywhere...but as I said earlier, so far it's been worth it. :rollside:
LO

steelcomp
10-13-2005, 08:07 PM
I've got both, and looking forward to another one. I have my Bahner tunnel jet, my 19' Spectra V-Dr that I'm looking forward to geting going on, and I'd love to own, and will, some day, a blown flat of some kind. Probably a TR2.
That oughta cover the bases. :D

Unchained
10-14-2005, 02:46 AM
I agree with that, A jet and a V drive. You'll never be without a boat to run no matter what the conditions are.
I determined that I'm more stuck on tunnel hulls than any particular drive setup.

infotraker
10-14-2005, 07:10 AM
I've had a schiada flat since 68. Bought the sanger ski hydro 4 years ago. Use it all the time on the delta and at Ca lakes. Use it for skiing etc. You have to watch the water conditions, hit waves just right. It rides smooth as glass over 1 ft chop, schiada flat bounces all over. The hydro is just lots of fun but you have to be carefull driving it.

Rampager
10-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Ive never driven a vdrive and Im sure its a blast but would you do this with one? LOL
www.rollestonsections.com/jets/movies/xero1.wmv
Get a jet, preferably one of aluminum with some steel on the bottom and find some skinny water, you can't have more fun in ANY boat
;)
Cheers

BUSBY
10-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Would that be the same Kyle Walker that drove the Spirit of Texas TFH, and also used to drive a blown fuel jet?
Yup ... same guy ... one hell of a driver ... they called him looney too! :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-14-2005, 04:51 PM
3 words!!!!!
JETBOAT FO' LIFE!!!!!

77 Apollo
10-14-2005, 05:48 PM
steelcomp and 396 love these threads.. dont let them post yellow circles making faces on you.. then it gets serious..

dmontzsta
10-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Just keep the jet, let the jet population be flooded. That way the resale on the V-Drives will be high. :idea:

Squirtcha?
10-15-2005, 05:49 AM
Just keep the jet, let the jet population be flooded. That way the resale on the V-Drives will be high. :idea:
Hmmmn..............almost sounds like someone's looking to sell a v-drive. Why else would he care what the resale value is? If the resale is good on the one you're selling, then it would high on the one you're looking to buy too. Unless............
Maybe he's lookin to buy a jet?
Dat's cool.
I'm thinking dmontzsta is a closet jet freak. He does spend a lot of time in the
Just Jets Forum :)

dmontzsta
10-15-2005, 06:09 AM
Hmmmn..............almost sounds like someone's looking to sell a v-drive. Why else would he care what the resale value is? If the resale is good on the one you're selling, then it would high on the one you're looking to buy too. Unless............
Maybe he's lookin to buy a jet?
Dat's cool.
I'm thinking dmontzsta is a closet jet freak. He does spend a lot of time in the
Just Jets Forum :)
lol. You are a great thinker, you should write romance novels. :)
I am actually thinking more along the lines of "equity". :)
The Biesmeyer I just bought is not going anywhere, but I like to know that it is worth more than I paid for it.
Unless Mouzer sells his and buys another one, then floods the Biesmeyers like the SWTD, then we are in trouble.
:supp:

Squirtcha?
10-15-2005, 06:46 AM
lol
Unless Mouzer sells his and buys another one, then floods the Biesmeyers like the SWTD, then we are in trouble.
:supp:
Awww now ya went n done it. You'da probably been fine if ya hadn't mentioned it. There goes the Beezer market.
Ya know I'm just razzin right D?

dmontzsta
10-15-2005, 07:03 AM
Awww now ya went n done it. You'da probably been fine if ya hadn't mentioned it. There goes the Beezer market.
Ya know I'm just razzin right D?
oh yeah, definately!
To my knowledge mouzer has only sold one B-Boat, it was the Lakers colored one. We will see where he goes with this new one.
You really should consider the romance novels though, think about the motor you could build for your boat!
:)