PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Engines and Oil Additives

essexjet
10-13-2005, 04:43 AM
I am getting ready to change the oil in my powerstroke and was wondering if anyone is using oil additives like Lucas. I have been thinking of putting in Lucas but dont know if it is a good idea or not. Are there any pros or cons to adding this to the diesel engines?

casean
10-13-2005, 07:33 AM
I am getting ready to change the oil in my powerstroke and was wondering if anyone is using oil additives like Lucas. I have been thinking of putting in Lucas but dont know if it is a good idea or not. Are there any pros or cons to adding this to the diesel engines?
James,
Check out this link. It should help answer your question.
What about Additives (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm)

essexjet
10-13-2005, 02:19 PM
James,
Check out this link. It should help answer your question.
What about Additives (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm)
Thanks Sean it really answered my question :hammerhea

casean
10-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks Sean it really answered my question :hammerhea
It made me a believer in not using any additives. If you are concerned about oil longevity or how well your engine is holding up, I would recommend doing an oil analysis. You can get a free kit from Black Stone Labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html). The kit is free, but they charge $20 to analysis your oil, which IMO is cheap. I have a kit on the way and plan on taking a sample for analysis at 10K miles.

HammerDown
10-15-2005, 02:41 PM
I call Bull Sh*t on Bob's test!
I've been using Lucas for over 10 years in everything....NEVER one hint of foaming...ever!

Just Tool'n
10-18-2005, 05:47 AM
I say it's bullshit also, after 20 years of being on the market, Lucus oil additive would have been exposed by now. Did they get the right ratio when they did there testing?
I have used Lucus in my motors now for over 12 years now, never ever have I had a failure.

MKEELINE
10-18-2005, 08:48 AM
What about Marvel Mystery Oil? Are there any benefits to using it? or is Lucas a better product?

HammerDown
10-19-2005, 07:33 AM
What about Marvel Mystery Oil? Are there any benefits to using it? or is Lucas a better product?
Personally I've never used MMO however I've read several posts from people with lets say a noisy lifter and the MMO cleaned out the gummed up lifter. Also claims of smoothing out a rough running engine due to a gummed up carb or injectors. MMO has been around for a long-long time. I'm sure there are some valid products on the market...as some BS one's also!

HighRoller
10-23-2005, 11:23 PM
I highly recommend Lucas to anyone with a diesel engine. I used it in my big truck and even after 12K miles my oil analysis would show the oil had 40% of its "usable life" left. In a pickup truck, oil analysis isn't necessary at every change unless the truck pulls heavy loads often.
I also used Lucas diesel injector treatment. It usually boosted mileage 5-10% and I never had an injector failure. Anyone who says Lucas is bad stuff should go talk to some Owner Operators. They swear by the stuff.