PDA

View Full Version : I think I have a serious engine problem-need help bad

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-20-2002, 02:52 PM
I was out last sunday at the lake the boat ran fine for about 2 hours(off and on). I was comming in to shore at about 3500 rpm's and the motor slowly died. I tried to start it and it turned over but it didnt start. When I cranked it gas was shooting out the carb. I then pulled off the distributor and the rotor wasnt turning with the engine. So I pulled it home. Today I took off the timing chain cover and inspected the timing chain. It was ok accept I think the chain has a little too mich play in it. The round little piect the fuel pump rides on fell into my lap. The bolt busted. So then I pulled the distributor out and checked it. It appears to be fine. What do you guys think went wrong?? It turns over but wont start(before i disassembled it). I am stuck. Do you guys think I broke the cam? What should I do?
Thanks,396 :confused: :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused:

HOSS
09-20-2002, 02:58 PM
Sounds like you already know what I`m thinking!
Sorry to hear it dude.

78Eliminator
09-20-2002, 02:58 PM
396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
I was out last sunday at the lake the boat ran fine for about 2 hours(off and on). I was comming in to shore at about 3500 rpm's and the motor slowly died. I tried to start it and it turned over but it didnt start. When I cranked it gas was shooting out the carb. I then pulled off the distributor and the rotor wasnt turning with the engine. So I pulled it home. Today I took off the timing chain cover and inspected the timing chain. It was ok accept I think the chain has a little too mich play in it. The round little piect the fuel pump rides on fell into my lap. The bolt busted. So then I pulled the distributor out and checked it. It appears to be fine. What do you guys think went wrong?? It turns over but wont start(before i disassembled it). I am stuck. Do you guys think I broke the cam? What should I do?
Thanks,396 :confused: :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused: 396
This was my problem to the T! You might have stuck float valves and when you were puking shitloads of gas into your motor, you might have hydrolocked it during starting.
1. Check your floats.
2. Pull off your plugs and crank the motor over to make sure all the excess fuel is gone.
3. Change the oil because the fuel seeps past the pistons and contaminates the oil.
4. Do a compression reading on all the cans to see if you messed up anything internally.
I think the fuel pump thing might have been already broken. How's the fuel pressure?
Justin
[ September 20, 2002, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

Oldsquirt
09-20-2002, 03:33 PM
396, is the Olds engine? If so, the broken bolt that holds the fuel pump eccentric also holds the cam gear to the cam. My guess is that the cam is not turning. Since you are already in there, pull the cam gear off and check for a broken dowel pin that locates the gear to the cam. If that isn't the problem and the front of the cam turns, look down the distributor hole and see if that end is turning. If not, think "broken cam".
Either way(broken pin or broken cam), spinning the engine over may well have bent some valves. If only the pin broke, install a new one and perform a compression test before rushing into a major teardown.
[ September 20, 2002, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: OLDSQUIRT ]

gnarley
09-20-2002, 03:47 PM
Not knowing what engine it is I thought about a sheared roll pin holding the dist gear on the dist shaft??? Only a thought with little info.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-20-2002, 03:54 PM
I turned the motor and the cam gear is not moving. I am thinking broken cam as well. Well I am calling it quits, this boat thing has me stressed the hell out.Every time I fix something,something else breaks. I am to the point where I really dont want to finish my other boat because I am affraid of failure. All my friends say finish the other boat because it has a 454 CHEVY and thats the difference. I really dont know what I am going to do now. I might just say f*#@ it and get out the brand new jetski and fire it up. Atleast I know for a fact it runs and if it doesnt run it has a 4 year warranty that will make it run. Thanks for all of your help guys.
396_Ready_To_Pull_His_Boat_Through_A_Wall
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-20-2002, 03:55 PM
Oh yea by the way its the 455_Oil_Problem_Having_Olds
396-- :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Oldsquirt
09-20-2002, 04:02 PM
396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
[QB]I turned the motor and the cam gear is not moving. I am thinking broken cam as well.... QB]Is the front of the cam turning? If you cant see the cam itself, pull a valve cover and see if any of the rockers move while rotating the engine. If none move, just pull off the timing gear and check the dowel.
Don't give up and don't give in to the jet ski urge! Look at the big picture. You are getting an education and when the boat is done it will be more fun than a puny little jet ski. :)

Clown
09-20-2002, 04:09 PM
:D How many times do I need to say it?
This kinda stuff makes me sick to my stomach,
[ September 20, 2002, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Clown ]

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-20-2002, 04:16 PM
Oldsquirt, I totally feel where you are comming from. The valve covers are pulled and nothing is moving.I will wait untill my father gets home and go from there. he is a mechanic and I will see what he says. As far as pouring more money into the 455, I have spent enough. If I spend any more money then it will be a complete rebuild. As far as the jetski statement goes I bought it brand new and it has never done me wrong. I know I can still be on the water untill it gets too damn cold here without spending numerous amounts of money and time untill my other boat is done.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-20-2002, 04:35 PM
Clown:
:D How many times do I need to say it? :D
CHEVY is the king !!!!!! eek!
This kinda stuff makes me sick to my stomach,
You guys with these no RPM ing motors . :mad:
When will they learn???
You can't break a chevy on RPM's Their built
"LIKE A ROCK" Say it fella's "LIKE A ROCK" :D
Maybe one day in the near future they will pull
there head out of there AZZ!! :p As far as you talking this bullsh#@ about my motor, you dont even know the story behind the 455.I will feel you in bro so you can save your stupid remarks and feed them to someone who cares.
I was looking in the boat trader and I saw a jetboat for $1800. I called the guy and talked with him about it. He knew nothing about it except his buddy needed money and he gave it to him. In return the guy gave him a boat. He wanted to getr his money back plus a little more so he placed an ad. I took my friend over to the guys house to see the boat"Thinking my buddy was going to buy it". My buddy said he didnt want it so i though about it for a couple of days. I then went over to the guys house and handed him 12 crisp cut ben franklin's and pulled it home. The boat was in good shape, it just needed a little love. It had good paint,trailer and a good pump. The motor ran so I thought I couldnt go wrong. It needed a floor and some interior. I put some money here and there and bam I had a boat to finish off the season untill my other boat was done. Now I have so many issues with this 455 olds I feel like jerry springer. So thats the story if you feel you really need to know.
As far as your chevy statement goes I own a BBC 454 .30 over ready to go into my other boat. I am just waiting on my head work to be completed.
And one more thing, The flaming that you just gave was not cool at all bro. I asked for help not a flaming attack. I never said anything wrong to you about your motor or boat. If you want to flame and disrespect people then please go to the bench racers forum to do that stuff. This forum is to educate and help people like myself that want to learn and educate themselves on the best lifestyle in the world called "BOATING".
As for the other people that have to read this sick reply I am totally sorry for the incovience and I will do my best to prevent it from happening again.
396--

Oldsquirt
09-20-2002, 04:41 PM
396, just ignore that "clown". He hasn't posted a useful thing on this board ever from what I have seen. He seems to do nothing but push Chevy and insult everything else. Probably doesn't even own a boat.
About the jetski, I misread your earlier post. I thought you were going to give up on the boats and go BUY a ski.
Let us know what you and your dad find on the Olds. By the way, I ran an Olds trouble free for 18 years, so they aren't all bad.

Clown
09-20-2002, 04:44 PM
YA probably dont evan own a BOAT!
IS that BETTER Spit & Squirt? :mad: eek! :mad:
eek! Ill lay off the crack pipe eek!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-20-2002, 04:55 PM
OLDSQUIRT:
396, just ignore that "clown". He hasn't posted a useful thing on this board ever from what I have seen. He seems to do nothing but push Chevy and insult everything else. Probably doesn't even own a boat.
About the jetski, I misread your earlier post. I thought you were going to give up on the boats and go BUY a ski.
Let us know what you and your dad find on the Olds. By the way, I ran an Olds trouble free for 18 years, so they aren't all bad.Thanks squirt, Thats exactly what I really want to hear. You are starting to pick up my confidence. I will keep you guys posted.
Thanks for the help guys,

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-20-2002, 05:24 PM
I gotta give my hats off to ols squirt. After inspecting the gear closely the pin is busted off. I feel alot better now. Thanks again old squirt you are the man. Hell I ahve to thank all of you guys for your knowledge,help and support. I dont know where I would be without all of you gearheads ( Actually I know, somewhere bending over to get the shaft out of my rear end :) "
396--

Snowboat
09-20-2002, 06:14 PM
Never worry what others say on the net. Most of us can identify with your problems. I tore an engine down four times last summmer because I was chasing a, water in the oil problem. This summer I have had several people help me with trial parts. Anybody can buy a Bayliner or a Larson. After you get this problem, and the next four ones, fixed, you'll be a hand. I'll bet anyone that has messed with performance has had the same type of troubles. It gets better later. Say Clown, what's your specialty, criticism?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-20-2002, 06:45 PM
I totally agree with you snowboat. I was really upset because I really wanted to go out sunday.
My other question was what would make the dowell pin to break????
This worries me a little bit. My dad is going to pull the cam and take the pin out tomorrow. I just dont want to put it back together again and have another problem. Also we are putting all new top end gaskets including head gastket in tomorrow. Again it will be another "Allnighter" .

Oldsquirt
09-20-2002, 06:52 PM
396, my suspicion is that the broken cam bolt is what led to all the problems. Once it became loose, before it actually broke, all the load of turning the cam was transfered to that small dowel. It was just a matter of time before it gave out. Hopefully you won't find any collateral damage when you disassemble the rest.

chaparral2350sx
09-20-2002, 07:02 PM
396 ways to spit
Dude feel your pain here. I have a bbc in a really nice 2350 Chaparral. I love the boat but the motor has really pissed me off. Like you I spent a shitload of cash on it and it ran well for a while until two weekends ago. I dropped valve in number 8 cylinder I now will have to spend another $2000 just to put it back together most likely to sell it. So yes I would pull the jet ski out ride it for a while enjoy the rest of the summer forget about the jet boat for a while. Just to add my to cents about the cam problem. if the cam is not turning because the bottom gear is not turing you might have a broken crank. If the cam is not turing and both of the gears are moving you might have sheared the dowel in the front the cam not a hard fix. If you have not bent some valves in the process of breaking the pin.
Buy the way you can Break a Big Block I proved it!!!
But I think I would lay off of it for a while before the boat become a insurance cliam due to a match.
Tom :confused: :confused: :confused:

78Eliminator
09-20-2002, 07:53 PM
396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
I turned the motor and the cam gear is not moving. I am thinking broken cam as well. Well I am calling it quits, this boat thing has me stressed the hell out.Every time I fix something,something else breaks. I am to the point where I really dont want to finish my other boat because I am affraid of failure. All my friends say finish the other boat because it has a 454 CHEVY and thats the difference. I really dont know what I am going to do now. I might just say f*#@ it and get out the brand new jetski and fire it up. Atleast I know for a fact it runs and if it doesnt run it has a 4 year warranty that will make it run. Thanks for all of your help guys.
396_Ready_To_Pull_His_Boat_Through_A_Wall
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Don't let the boat kick your ass. Get pissed and kick it's ass. It is your bitch, not the other way around. I have been where you are right now. Ask Jordy too, he's been there and now he's running and out on the lake every weekend with hot chicks. Keep the faith brother.

Wet Dream
09-20-2002, 08:06 PM
Guys, I really don't know what to say. I guess I'll start here...
When I bought my boat last year, it had a fairly fresh 455 .030 over with forged pistons and ran like a raped ape, until the third time out she spun a bearing. Two of the actually, #7 and #8. Got a used engine and put all new bearings in, didn't do a damn thing to the crank, left the old cylinders in, used the old cam from the blown engine, old timing chain from the blown engine, and slapped all the other stuff like the intake and waterplate, etc on it and gave it a shot. After putting it in the boat, I realized that during the rebuild process, I don't remember tightening the cam bolt down. (Too many beers). First few times out, it didn't run as strong as the .030 over engine, 300 less revs, but if it blew, I could go to the max with this engine. I ran the shit out of it, and as summer came to close, I tried even harder to make something come loose. She still runs like a top, not the fastest thing in the world, but fires up every time. I was thinking I will go through the engine and pump it out this winter, but have decided to leave it alone since it is holding together. You know...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am sorry to hear about your problems bud, but eventually, you'll get it there. Don't let these pansy asses that run Chevys, don't get me wong, I like chevys, get you down on that Olds engine. I'm sure alot of those clowns don't have a clue as to what to do to an Olds to make it compete.

fixit1002
09-20-2002, 08:38 PM
Wow mdude sorry to here about this one look ive been workin on cars and boats all my life before you waste all your time and money ill tell ya what happened your loosing oil pres and the first thing to loose it is the cam bearings tho not allways does the cam lock up but ill will bet that that cam is solid in the block the bolt and pin will not break for no reason i will bet you will find if you pull the intake metal mashed out at each of the cam bearings where it slides thru the block good luck dude