PDA

View Full Version : Info on California City??

riverracerx
10-13-2005, 09:57 AM
I have the opportunity to purchase some investment property in California City. I drove out there last weekend and there isn't much there. Anyone have any opinions on the area?
I have heard rumor of a super Wal*Mart and some other big developments in the works.
Also some govt. contracts have just been signed to get more work back out there near/at the base.
Anyone know what a 3+2 house would rent for there?
Opinions??
Thanks.

dimarcobros
10-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Where is it?
DMB

GrapeApe
10-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Ponch says that it's a Great Buy... :D :D
*** Grape Ape ***

BajaMike
10-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Where is it?
DMB
Ya...where is it?? :confused: :confused:

WYRD
10-13-2005, 10:23 AM
We are a contractor for Verizon and I know over the last two years they have spent alot of energy and money in upgrading the phone switches in that area. Don't know if that helps but the utillity companies usually know of a construction boom before anybody else. :idea:

Mrs.Racer277
10-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Great place to dirt bike ride. :rolleyes: :)

disco_charger
10-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Meth is cheap and plentiful there! Also, your renters could become cookers, and then they'd always be able to pay the rent... :eek:

Hustler
10-13-2005, 10:52 AM
They have been talking about trying to build out there for years. I'm sure one day they will but I looked into property out there over 12 years ago and nothing has changed in that town since. I ride out of there several times a year so I see it pretty often.

River918
10-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Chris,
Personally i wouldn't invest in anything in that area. I grew up In the area and lived there until I was in my 20's. I even still have friends that live up there and a family member in Cal City. There has always been "rumors" of this company moving in or this great thing that's going to happen. The only thing that has transpired is that alot of criminals move up there because they can afford cheap housing and there isn't enough law enforcement in the area to keep an eye on them. The crime rate is getting out of control and there is no sign of an enflux of $$$$ coming to the area. The actual city of California City is one of the largest cities (in regards to actual square mileage) in California, but they have an understaffed, underpaid, overworked police department. The area around it is covered by the sheriff's department that normally only has a couple deputies to partol several surrounding cities (Mojave, Boron, and the rural desert communities). Basically, if I was running from someone or looking to start a meth lab, I'd be all over moving up there...other than that, invest elswhere....
My .02 cents

Kilrtoy
10-13-2005, 10:56 AM
My buddy at works agree's with 918....

H20 Toie
10-13-2005, 10:59 AM
I also have a bridge for sale :D

riverracerx
10-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Good to know.
They don't even have a McDonald's. I figure if you don't have a McD's than it can't be very good? :p
I have a very good deal for a house or two there, brand new, but if I can't get rent out of it I am screwed. I went through a couple of builders models and they had alot of traffic. Said people are moving in from Palmdale and paying cash. Only downside is no industry or jobs yet to support the economy there. So I guess Meth is the only export from that town for now.

Focker
10-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Hey Chris,
I got some property In Louisiana that I can sell to you. Great investment property :hammer2:

riverracerx
10-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Really? All I found was a Subway.

Man-de-lone
10-13-2005, 01:00 PM
I read an article in a real estate trade magazine and they pretty much dissed it as a worthwhile area. Kind of like Salton Sea.......maybe someday, but not yet.

River918
10-13-2005, 01:02 PM
As if what I said earlier wasn't enough,,,,,you know it's bad when Eric Estrada is doing late night infomercials trying to sell land there...... :D

HM
10-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Always BUY what you can afford. the thing about real estate is that they don't make any more and the population keeps growing.
I just got a lender that will do 100% purchase money financing for 1-4 residential family unit rental properties, with a 620 FICO and will go Stated Income. And you can do up to 10 purchases with them. I can also do deals in 44 states. The rates are alright, but not many lenders doing this with these requirements. I have a couple other lenders that will go 100%, but they have stricter requirments.
Sorry for the spam! :D

Moneypitt
10-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Seems the only employment in the area is either the prison, or the Air Force base. I think the term "miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles" says it best. I was approached by someone in Boron about opening a tow/storage yard to patrol the 58 highway and impound for the LEs in the area. The rub was getting contracts from LE...................MP

BajaMike
10-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Ya...where is it?? :confused: :confused:
Ok....I found it...... :D
:mix: :lightsabe :boxingguy

jdogginla
10-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Hey Chris,
I got some property In Louisiana that I can sell to you. Great investment property :hammer2:
Actually if you make the right deal you can make some solid money. FEMA is housing it's people in Baton Rouge and paying $500.00 a head. Putting 3 to 4 people to a house. FEMA is also signing 16 month leases with 3 months up front. Management company has run out of houses........yet has leases ready to fill.
Houses are in the 80k - 120k range.....with a payment of 700-1k range. U can buy up to 30 houses under one umbrella/mortgage. First I've heard of this one......didn't believe it at first but it's true.
You rent the houses out.....double up on the mortgage/1k profit per house per month and you are making some decent cash.

jdogginla
10-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Or you could get yourself a large truck.......pay 6 guys to demo a house. 7k per house is what they're paying right now. The teams are doing about two houses a day. :hammer2:

jdogginla
10-13-2005, 01:57 PM
didn't mean to hi-jack the thread..........now back to shitty Ca City, lol

JetBoatRich
10-13-2005, 07:14 PM
They do have a MC D's in the middle of town :( which the main strip is pretty small.
We go riding just outside town a few times a year, but probably would never buy there. Not much there.
It is next door to the cit of Boran, home of the Borax plant :squiggle: and the 20 mule ride :sqeyes:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-13-2005, 07:20 PM
I saw a program on TV a year or two ago stating what a scam the developments were out there. Super cheap, like 3-10 grand a lot, right? Then when people realize there is no infrastructure for the development and it is always "in the planning stages" that they default because they can't sell it. Same property gets sold by the developer several times.

JETEATER
10-13-2005, 08:18 PM
We also ride out there a cupple times a year ,there is a real big jail out there.

laveydayz
10-13-2005, 09:14 PM
I have a buddy that lives down here but works for the FD up there. He says there is retired people, military, and the other part of town is whitetrash tweekers and inner city gang bangers who moved for the cheap housing. From an investment perspective you hope you get either a retiree or a military family as a tenent. Some of the stories he has told are unreal!! Great place to ride and home to a prison as well!!