PDA

View Full Version : If you had the ability to purchase a brand new jetboat...

maxwedge
05-11-2006, 10:03 AM
what would you buy, and why?
A friend e-mailed me this question and I thought it might make for some good discussion. I have a bad feeling she might have been reffering to those things that Sea Doo sells, but assuming she isn't, what's the answer? Hell, even if she is? Probably talking about recreational lake boats here, not top fuel hydros... I've never really considered buying a new jet boat, so I don't really even know what's out there?
EDIT:
Okay I got a little claification on exactly what she's looking for...I'll just post up her e-mail (the names have been deleteted to protect the guilty,lol).....
No, not the sea doo or yamaha things. ****** called this morning because she was thinking of maybe surpising my dad with a boat as like an early birthday present. He's continuing on his weird midlife crisis/need to be a cool dad thing and I guess the other water "vehicles", the canoe, sunfish, pontoon and fish n ski, are just not doing it for him. And I think ***** been giving him crap about not having any fun toys up at the cabin. She specifically mentioned you and jetboat when she asked. I don't know how much money is a factor. I mean, my dad looks for a deal, but he's not cheap. I'm thinking used is probably just as good as new because in a year or 2 the idea will grow old or he just won't enjoy it like he thought he would.
Now who thinks they have the cure for this guys midlife crisis? Might be a chance to sell your boat if nothing else.... :)

Devilman
05-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Something that rides a little better in choppy water, I guess. Hard to say. Not sure if I'd want one, I'd be worried about it getting trashed. Besides, mine is paid for. :crossx:

Taylorman
05-11-2006, 10:27 AM
19 Ultra Shadow for speed or a 21 Ultra deck for a family jet. Money no object a Trident.

jetboat
05-11-2006, 10:44 AM
almost like devilmans answere,since my other half has other feelings with the currant boat,why not go for broke.22 outlaw with twin 572s and blown.that might put some wind her xxa.

Aluminum Squirt
05-11-2006, 11:02 AM
21' Eagle Tunnel, with a roll cage, a DNE or AMS motor and a regular lake nozzle so it would still be quick out of the hole-Aluminum Squirt

Wicked Performance Boats
05-11-2006, 11:22 AM
We would get another "18 WICKED I" Gullwing from us at WICKED Performance Boats. She handles the rough waters as well as smooth water. Planes right out from start and keeps on going. Wicked :220v: A very safe and durable and easy to control jetboat. Julie and Pat :cool: :p

jdf
05-11-2006, 11:25 AM
if we did a new one it would have to be a wicked one

NautiTwins
05-11-2006, 11:30 AM
COLE just like the one I had. The perfect boat for me. If they were still around I would build a brand new one. Different colors maybe. Way bigger MOPAR. I just love the way those hulls look.
Second Choice would be a Wicked, candy blue, big blown motor with white interior.

Wicked Performance Boats
05-11-2006, 11:51 AM
thanks, jdf and NautiTwins. We are ready when you are !!! :) Julie and Pat :cool: :p :220v:

Nucking futs
05-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Key work here is "JET" boat. I would have to say a 21' TPR, but Im also leaning towards the new 18 Wicked. If it was any boat, I would love a 21 river cruiser by schiada like sofa king smooths.

YeLLowBoaT
05-11-2006, 12:59 PM
I would have a hard time choosing between a TP sealth and a eagle thunnel.

1978 Rogers
05-11-2006, 01:25 PM
That new Cougar in the recent HB mag.

n8dawg
05-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Another Miller. I even heard from a HB member that they are going to start re-making them again.

Sleek-Jet
05-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Dana's 20' river cruiser is a nice looking boat... :idea:

superdave013
05-11-2006, 02:28 PM
one of Tom Papp's 19' deals to go fast. If it was and all around play boat it would be a 21' Ultra hands down.

Squirtcha?
05-11-2006, 02:43 PM
I know this isn't what you were looking for, but since I've pondered
this very question myself a number of times................
I probably wouldn't buy a new boat. I'd do just what I did this time
with a few exceptions.
1. I'd start out with a different platform. (some sort of air entrapment
hull). It can be an older hull, but solid and worthy of the effort.
2. Rather than step my way through horsepower increases, I'd go for
it one time and go big (most likely a blown fuel deal). Or possibly go
Mark (Unchained's) route and do the twin turbo with fuel injection.
3. I'd have a second boat to use while building my "dream boat". I could
take my time and do it just the way I want it, without having to rush it
into the water. This way I'd still have something to run around in while
I'm building the other one.
4. This will all probably happen. It'll be a few years out but that's o.k.
I'm setup much much better tool-wise, work area-wise etc. than I was
with the Kachina. Plus I've made most of my first timer mistakes and
know what not to do. Hell over the past several years I coulda been a
poster child for OSHA on what not to do with power tools and no vise.
Scary stuff. It's a wonder I still have all my digits.
I'm looking forward to the next go round.
Oh yeah, I wanna do it all myself. All of it.

MAXIMUS
05-11-2006, 03:06 PM
If it had to be a jet boat then a 21 daytona makes a nice all around ride. Little sluggish for those pesky light weight deals but still a nice boat. In todays times I would look to another form of drive line... :)

Squirtcha?
05-11-2006, 03:13 PM
In todays times I would look to another form of drive line... :)
Ah ah! Just Jets.
Shame on you for jumping boat errr ship

Cas
05-11-2006, 04:46 PM
I'd keep the one I have and get it regelled and reupholstered to the new color scheme.. Since I'd saving so much money going that route, I'd put the rest in a bank account with a debit card specifically for gas :D

Danhercules
05-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Has to be what I just bought. I have had it out 3 times and liking it more everytime. I could use more power though. It handels the rough water great and can put 4 peeps on it and bairly tell they are there.

SHIFTY
05-11-2006, 04:55 PM
what would you buy, and why?
THIS ONE...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/beerjet/FC5011.jpg

Hustler
05-11-2006, 05:17 PM
THIS ONE...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/beerjet/FC5011.jpg
Your boat looked clean out at FB5. I really liked the all white and black seats. How hot do those seats get?
As far as a new boat goes it would be a new 18 CP

mexrunner
05-11-2006, 05:34 PM
my pick would be a 21' gator tunnel w/ turboed bbc then tom papp 19' or a wicked

Squirtcha?
05-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Has to be what I just bought. I have had it out 3 times and liking it more everytime. I could use more power though.
Glad to hear you're liking the new ride Dan.
We can all use more power. That aint nothing new. Looking forward to getting a ride on that bad boy.

Nucking futs
05-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Dana's 20' river cruiser is a nice looking boat... :idea:
They really do, don't they!

SHIFTY
05-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Your boat looked clean out at FB5. I really liked the all white and black seats. How hot do those seats get?
As far as a new boat goes it would be a new 18 CP
THANKS ALOT MANG... BTW, CASTAIC SATURDAY IF YOU're IN.
THE SEATS ARE CLOTH, THEY DON't GET HOT AT ALL...

Hustler
05-12-2006, 07:17 AM
THANKS ALOT MANG... BTW, CASTAIC SATURDAY IF YOU're IN.
THE SEATS ARE CLOTH, THEY DON't GET HOT AT ALL...
No more local stuff for me. The boat stays at the river so thats were I'll be this weekend:D

HBjet
05-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Brand New -
Hands down the best jet boat ever, a 19' California Performance Gullwing.
HBjet :rollside:

canuck1
05-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Brand New -
Hands down the best jet boat ever, a 19' California Performance Gullwing.
HBjet :rollside:
Ummmm.....NO

CP Dad
05-12-2006, 05:57 PM
This is a trick question. The more I go along in the boat world, the more I realize that there just is no such animal as a boat that does it all. I would want a boat that runs somewhere in the mid to high 8's, looks and sounds like a fuel boat, can hold plenty of people (and fuel) to get to the sand bar on Memorial Day weekend, has a nice stereo that will last all day, has a competition level wake for sky-sking and boarding, and a wake that can make it through a slalom course without a problem, never has any mechanical problems and stays turn key all season, is totally safe for kids and has no handling quirks, runs on pump gas and doesn't break the bank. Any suggestions??????????????????? If so, I'll be the first one to plop down my money. Until then, I guess I'll just keep the CP, the pontoon, and the Master Craft. Who wants to park a car in the garage anyways???????
I hate to say it and I'm bitting my tongue even at the thought of these words coming out of my mouth, but the new Yamaha 230 deal is actually a pretty funtional boat. I would just have to keep a hot rod somewhere to kill the cravings. CP Dad

TopCat
05-12-2006, 09:14 PM
only one of two, a Syndicate gullwing or a Syndicate tunnel. Have you ever noticed that you never find these boats for sale, there may be a good reason,as far as I'm concerned they are the best kept secret in performance boating. Hey Jimmy are you out there?

boater012
05-12-2006, 10:30 PM
We would get another "18 WICKED I" Gullwing from us at WICKED Performance Boats. She handles the rough waters as well as smooth water. Planes right out from start and keeps on going. Wicked :220v: A very safe and durable and easy to control jetboat. Julie and Pat :cool: :p
Yeah what he said those boats are siiiiick!!!!

Jake W2
05-13-2006, 11:31 AM
HBjet you have one of thoes in the works?
I think along the same lines 19 gullwing(Youngblood,Condor,Mantra,Sunkisst,Earl Smith,CP)ect, hard to beat for room and speed.Just like they have been for 29 years.
For just looks (not safety) nothing looks better than a 18CP tunnel.
Jake

Wicked Performance Boats
05-13-2006, 12:53 PM
HBjet you have one of thoes in the works?
I think along the same lines 19 gullwing(Youngblood,Condor,Mantra,Sunkisst,Earl Smith,CP)ect, hard to beat for room and speed.Just like they have been for 29 years.
For just looks (not safety) nothing looks better than a 18CP tunnel.
Jake
Jake, I'm crushed!!!!!! I woulda thought you'd buy a Wicked 18' gullwing! Bl :yuk:

maxwedge
05-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Jake, I'm crushed!!!!!! I woulda thought you'd buy a Wicked 18' gullwing! Bl :yuk:
If it makes you feel any better, I would buy a Wicked gullwing if I could afford it, but I can't. I will, however be glad to demonstrate one for my friends dad if you want to send one out this way. You won't even have to pay me. :D

steelcomp
05-13-2006, 01:44 PM
If Bahner was still making this tunnel I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Maybe a few upgrades to the bottom, but not much more.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729100_0111.jpg

old rigger
05-13-2006, 01:59 PM
I'd try to pry Roger Weiman out of retirement, beg, borrow or steal the original 18 bubble molds from Advantage and have the master build just one more.
Simply the best 18 foot jet ever made... by the guy that started it all. :)

Rampager
05-13-2006, 05:24 PM
absolutly no question hands down a 21' Eagle tunnel
Wait I already got one haha
Well a nice new lightweight model (550 lbs) with the QT100 steel bottom possibly with an interior but likely not. I could care less if it was fast as snot and who's going to argue about interiors when they have just been handed their ass by a killer tin boat hahaha Oh and if I can also take that with Eagle's billet suction housing and 2 pc bowl that would be perfect ;) ( a monster motor with about 1000 HP wouldn't hurt either)
Cheers
(alot of you guys need to see/drive one of these and alot more of you'd be goin to the dark side of alloy hulls)

cyclone
05-13-2006, 08:08 PM
If it meant not having to sell my Ultra to get one, I'd build a lightweight 19-foot Rogers Bonneville TR. That hull is quick, fast and handles excellent. I won more river races in my old one against CP's, Eliminator's, Sanger etc even with the coctail seats and heavy layup. :)
the mold is out there. someday i'll have another. :crossx:

SmokinLowriderSS
05-14-2006, 05:46 AM
I know this isn't what you were looking for, but since I've pondered
this very question myself a number of times................
I probably wouldn't buy a new boat. I'd do just what I did this time
with a few exceptions.
1. I'd start out with a different platform. (some sort of air entrapment
hull). It can be an older hull, but solid and worthy of the effort.
2. Rather than step my way through horsepower increases, I'd go for
it one time and go big (most likely a blown fuel deal). Or possibly go
Mark (Unchained's) route and do the twin turbo with fuel injection.
3. I'd have a second boat to use while building my "dream boat". I could
take my time and do it just the way I want it, without having to rush it
into the water. This way I'd still have something to run around in while
I'm building the other one.
4. This will all probably happen. It'll be a few years out but that's o.k.
I'm setup much much better tool-wise, work area-wise etc. than I was
with the Kachina. Plus I've made most of my first timer mistakes and
know what not to do. Hell over the past several years I coulda been a
poster child for OSHA on what not to do with power tools and no vise.
Scary stuff. It's a wonder I still have all my digits.
I'm looking forward to the next go round.
Oh yeah, I wanna do it all myself. All of it.
This is where I would be found. The hull could be new or used, but solid. something in a 21-foot size for ride, tunnel hull I think (although this is such a dream currently that I don't really know what names to put on the hull-wish-list), 1 time build, enough muscle and pump work to tweak her out over 100, loaded with 4 occupants (incl me), both anchors, beer cooler, full tanks, etc.
I'd do MOST of the work myself. I'd sure be on here diging up blower-motor and jet advice, as well as other places.
DuaneHTP's lake boat comes mighty close to fitting the bill, although I'd have to have a different color scheme.

SmokinLowriderSS
05-14-2006, 05:50 AM
I have had it out 3 times and liking it more everytime. I could use more power though.
(sounding like Darth Vader) "The disease is strong in this one."
Only had it out 3 times and Morehorsepoweritis is setting in already. :p
Glad you are enjoying it. :cool:

old rigger
05-14-2006, 07:25 AM
...19-foot Rogers Bonneville TR. That hull is quick, fast and handles excellent...the mold is out there. someday i'll have another. :crossx:
Yep, it's too bad about those molds that Roger sold when he retired. Fact is it's a cryin' shame. :cry:

Jake W2
05-14-2006, 09:55 AM
Smokinlowriderss Duanes Kustom Kraft tunnel is a 22 or 23 I belive.
Budlight no need to be crushed I was refering to room and speed.Just for speed and to be safer than a drag hull the 18 gullwing would be in that spot.
But still love the Earl Smith deck witch is what is used on the 18 CP tunnel if it had a fliped up tail like your mold(wicked) it would be the best looking deck ever made (to me)(kinda like a 16 tunnel(goat) deck)that Earl Smith made .
Jake

SmokinLowriderSS
05-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Smokinlowriderss Duanes Kustom Kraft tunnel is a 22 or 23 I belive.
Budlight no need to be crushed I was refering to room and speed.Just for speed and to be safer than a drag hull the 18 gullwing would be in that spot.
But still love the Earl Smith deck witch is what is used on the 18 CP tunnel if it had a fliped up tail like your mold(wicked) it would be the best looking deck ever made (to me)(kinda like a 16 tunnel(goat) deck)that Earl Smith made .
Jake
I don't recall how long it is, 22 or 23' is a distinct posibility. I like the length, the lines, the interior, I have not been blessed with a ride in it (yet). That mother will definitely get out of it's own way too. :cool:
Is a shame those molds do not exist anymore (like many others). :cry:

Cas
05-14-2006, 11:54 AM
I'd try to pry Roger Weiman out of retirement, beg, borrow or steal the original 18 bubble molds from Advantage and have the master build just one more.
Simply the best 18 foot jet ever made... by the guy that started it all. :)
you can have a ride in mine this coming July ;) :D