PDA

View Full Version : generator in the engine comp. whos done it?

Keith E. Sayre
05-11-2006, 10:53 AM
A good friend of mine Tim Potter is going to put a small Honda E2000 generator in his Conquest engine compartment because he has a monster
stereo system and I'm wondering what everyone is doing with regards to
exhaust? Are they being plumbed in? with SS pipe? or are they merely
letting the vents exhaust it or are they opening the hatch or running the
blower? He even wondered about installing a second blower and running
2 of them. Anyone know what the right answer is here? Need to know
5 minutes ago~!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400

Get415
05-11-2006, 10:56 AM
pm WETHULL, he has all that good stuff

River918
05-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Phat Matt has one....it's a sweet hook-up..He uses about one tank of generator gas per song..... :crossx:

welk2party
05-11-2006, 11:00 AM
I am no expert, but I think they run a stainless pipe out the side of the boat.

Up 4 River
I think MBrown knows about this stuff as well. I think he had one on his DCB

Jordy
I believe they're plumbing it with stainless hardline to an overboard thru-hull dump. Phat Matt would be one to talk to. Boat Floating and MBrown would be good sources as well. :D
Also, by going with the thru-hull, they're acutally getting 2,500 watts instead of the normal 2,000. :D

RiverDave
05-11-2006, 11:02 AM
I believe they're plumbing it with stainless hardline to an overboard thru-hull dump. Phat Matt would be one to talk to. Boat Floating would be another good source. :D
Also, by going with the thru-hull, they're acutally getting 2,500 watts instead of the normal 2,000. :D
LMAO.. :D
RD

shadow
05-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Install some real batteries and be done with it! :rollside:

River918
05-11-2006, 11:05 AM
I believe they're plumbing it with stainless hardline to an overboard thru-hull dump. Phat Matt would be one to talk to. Boat Floating and MBrown would be good sources as well. :D
Just make sure you don't launch in the Marina with it going straight thru the hull without mufflers.... :)

LAVEYSABRE575
05-11-2006, 11:07 AM
I run the same generator in my lavey sabre (CHRIS) welded ss pipe to the exhaust on the generator put a loop in it then we ran the exhaust out the side of the boat. Super clean the pipe runs right into a trick chrome fitting that is attatched to the outside of the boat. We use a iota battery charger the platform for the generator was built when the boat was built.Any question feel free to pm me ....Derek

phebus
05-11-2006, 11:09 AM
I've seen it done two ways:
1. stainless hardline to a thru-hull fitting the same as you would use for a bilge pump line (PhatMat)
2. flex rubber hose to the same type thru-hull fitting (Boatfloating)

LAVEYSABRE575
05-11-2006, 11:11 AM
I also run just two odyssey batteries 2 1/2 yrs running no problems with music all day long....Derek

Magic34
05-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Can anyone please post pics? I am adding one of these, but I want to be able to remove it easily. Mine will be for recharging batteries, but mainly for running th A/C.
Who has the hook up on Honda gennys?

Magic34
05-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Nice. LMAO

LAVEYSABRE575
05-11-2006, 11:15 AM
I will check to see if i have some pics when i get home......

Froggystyle
05-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Or... none of the above!
We are running the generator exhaust into the boat exhaust with a check valve. Additionally, we are running a valve and fuel fill line coming off of our electric fuel pump to allow you to semi-manually fill the generator using engine fuel, being carefull not to over-fill, but saving you from having to bring fuel along for it.
I don't like the systems I have seen so far. The generator makes a lot of vibration, and tends to crack right at the "exhaust" pipe.
One thing I am thinking of adding is a squirrel cage fan and enclosure for the genny though. It gets warm, and I would like to be able to evacuate the heat instead of having it sit in there and bake.

LAVEYSABRE575
05-11-2006, 11:38 AM
I've also seen people use a slide pipe into the exhaust. I personally have not had my exhaust crack from vibration that boils down to your fastening system and the quality of the weld. I use my boat every other wknd at Havasu in washing machine conditions and have not had any issues knock on wood. Also I would check into the legality of tieing your generator fuel into your engine fuel system. When I fill the generator it last the whole wknd. Technically I dont think it's legal to even have a generator in the engine compartment I heard thru the grapevine it's illegal I dont know for sure...Derek

LAVEYSABRE575
05-11-2006, 12:02 PM
I agree........

scarabrick2
05-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Question is.... If your boat catches on fire from the gen and burns down will your insurance cover the boat? My bro would like to put one in his 270 Hallett and we had that thought. Its not a "factory installed ,coast guard approved device". What do you think?

Magic34
05-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Question is.... If your boat catches on fire from the gen and burns down will your insurance cover the boat? My bro would like to put one in his 270 Hallett and we had that thought. Its not a "factory installed ,coast guard approved device". What do you think?
Just dont tie the generator down too tight. That way in case of explosion, it gets blown away from the wreckage.

Magic34
05-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Or... none of the above!
We are running the generator exhaust into the boat exhaust with a check valve. Additionally, we are running a valve and fuel fill line coming off of our electric fuel pump to allow you to semi-manually fill the generator using engine fuel, being carefull not to over-fill, but saving you from having to bring fuel along for it.
I don't like the systems I have seen so far. The generator makes a lot of vibration, and tends to crack right at the "exhaust" pipe.
One thing I am thinking of adding is a squirrel cage fan and enclosure for the genny though. It gets warm, and I would like to be able to evacuate the heat instead of having it sit in there and bake.
Ummm, picture available? :crossx:

Jordy
05-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Just dont tie the generator down too tight. That way in case of explosion, it gets blown away from the wreckage.
Good thinking. I like it!!! :D :D :D

Magic34
05-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Good thinking. I like it!!! :D :D :D
Not only that, but Kachina Ken is all super certified diver now, so all you need it to be tight with him, give him a call and beat the dive boat out to remove the genny from the waters and call it good.
You need to be 2 steps ahead. :crossx:

LAVEYSABRE575
05-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Thats exactly why I dont run one! I seriously dought they show up on a build sheet........

HM
05-11-2006, 12:27 PM
that is a great question, and they can deny claims even if the generator was not the cause of the fire or even an accident. Insurance companies don't make money by paying claims. So, if you have an inspection after a claim and they find something on the boat that would stop them from insuring the boat from the beginning, they will deny the claim, cancel your insurance and good luck getting a refund.
Second concern..and more important.....lets say it causes a fire and some gets hurt or dies. Do you think the courts would have a problem with finding you to have gross negligance in operating a non-us coast guard type of device on a boat - especially if you did not disclose it to your insurance carrier? And you insurance carrier is off the financial hook since they just cancled your ass.
Call your insurance guy first. If they wont insure it, don't put it in until you find someone who does.
There will be a bunch of people who will say...I have been doing this for years, I have never had a problem, and blah blah blah. You know, it took over 10 years for them to catch up with Jeffrey Dahmer. You think he was claiming it was o.k. to kill people and eat their bodies because he had been doing it for years and never had a problem?

Magic34
05-11-2006, 12:29 PM
If it is in your engine compartment and have a halon system, then it shouldn't be an issue, right?

HM
05-11-2006, 12:34 PM
If it is in your engine compartment and have a halon system, then it shouldn't be an issue, right?
Is that a direct quote from the insurance company?
I am thinking anything in the engine compartment that is not u.s. coast guard approved is a big nono...or anything that could cause a fire, especially something like a generator, that is not u.s. coast guard approved.

Froggystyle
05-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Ummm, picture available? :crossx:
Buy a Revolution and save yourself the drama of having to do it yourself. ;)
Saying the generator isn't legal is ridiculous. It is no more illegal than having an engine back there if you think about it. You just need to take the appropriate steps to ensure legality, which we are doing. For one, you need all marine approved fuel and exhaust line. Most stainless steel piping does not meet the requirements of wall thickness or temperature while being used requirements. Ours is water jacketed. Seriously.
You also need to vent the gas cap overboard. We are building ours with a custom billet cap (shocker... I know...) that vents into the fuel system's vent. This is mandatory.
You need to ground the system to the boat, ground the fuel fill, keep the temperature below a certain heat etc....
Lots to think about. We are doing it so our clients don't have to.

Jordy
05-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Hey Froggy, what's with all the generator talk??? Don't tell me you're jumping off the Trojan ship. :idea: :D

Froggystyle
05-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Is that a direct quote from the insurance company?
I am thinking anything in the engine compartment that is not u.s. coast guard approved is a big nono...or anything that could cause a fire, especially something like a generator, that is not u.s. coast guard approved.
Or a Teague motor? Or a custom built motor from Bergeron?
Think about it...

Froggystyle
05-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Hey Froggy, what's with all the generator talk??? Don't tell me you're jumping off the Trojan ship. :idea: :D
More like adding to it. We don't charge the stereo batteries with an alternator, so if you were on Lake Powell for a week, you would need to charge them externally.
One of the only options we have is for an on-board charging system. Believe it or not, the Xantrex charger I am spec'ing is more expensive than the generator. I figured, offer them as a package so you could just plug in the boat with an extension cord when you are back at the ranch, or light off the generator and have the same effect.
The difference between our boat and Matt's for example is that ours will run all day on the battery charge onboard, his will run 25 minutes on his stereo battery. His charger is in effect a DC power supply instead of a charging system per-se. I spoke with him in detail and considered his system for a little while. I decided that although it is more expensive, the charging system with better batteries is the route to go. You can either plug it in or use the generator. Win win.

Jordy
05-11-2006, 12:51 PM
More like adding to it. We don't charge the stereo batteries with an alternator, so if you were on Lake Powell for a week, you would need to charge them externally.
You really do think of everything. :D :D
When is the next Pleasant trip??? The bar has been stepped up a little more, once again. And that's all I'm going to say. :D :D :D
OK, 2 words for you, actually one word, houseboat. ;)

HM
05-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Or a Teague motor? Or a custom built motor from Bergeron?
Think about it...
As long as the parts on the motor are USG approved it is no problem. Now the insurance company will have a problem if you didn't tell them about the 1200 HP Teague motor, until they make it not their problem by cancelling.

Magic34
05-11-2006, 01:03 PM
One of the only options we have is for an on-board charging system. Believe it or not, the Xantrex charger I am spec'ing is more expensive than the generator. I figured, offer them as a package so you could just plug in the boat with an extension cord when you are back at the ranch, or light off the generator and have the same effect.
The difference between our boat and Matt's for example is that ours will run all day on the battery charge onboard, his will run 25 minutes on his stereo battery. His charger is in effect a DC power supply instead of a charging system per-se. I spoke with him in detail and considered his system for a little while. I decided that although it is more expensive, the charging system with better batteries is the route to go. You can either plug it in or use the generator. Win win.
OK, so I want to put a Honda EU2000 or 1000 on my boat to power the A/C when I want to run it. This is only be when I dont have my daughter with us, but at the same time, I want A/C so I can bring her without any heat issues. I want to take the generator out for boating October through the end of April.
Anyways, I will only have the generator in she is there or it is way too hot, like May through August. Do I strap it to the swim platform when anchored or beached or do I do a semi install in the engine compartment and make an exhaust line. I dont want to do a fuel line. It will run up to 8 hours, which I dont see me running it that long parked in 1 spot. I figure at most, 6 hours on the water a day at Havasu is the most I would use it. The unit runs 8 hours on a single fill up of fuel.

me4drvr
05-11-2006, 01:06 PM
I had the Honda 2000EU in my old boat, and it worked great, just filling it starting it etc, was a hassle IMO, plus when it was 110 out I just didn't like the idea of it running in the engine compartment, even with the hatch open. It did shut down on me a couple times. I ran the exhaust straight up then went back down about 3" below the water line and it purred. I can sell the generator to anyone for a deal ($500), still runs like a champ...
I plugged a 65amp power supply into it that charged the batteries. So in the new boat I went with a built-in 3000w water cooled, muffled, etc... purrs like a kitten. A little pricey, but I think worth it. I don't have any installed photos. Keith... talk to Kevin at advantage, he's the one that did the deal.
http://www.alssurvey.com/boat 020.jpg

me4drvr
05-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Plus the whole package only weighs 145lbs, I know the Honda only weighs like 45-50, put the push button start is worth it. Hey Magic, I recommend a built in, since your boat is so big and nice, you won't regret it....

Magic34
05-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Plus the whole package only weighs 145lbs, I know the Honda only weighs like 45-50, put the push button start is worth it. Hey Magic, I recommend a built in, since your boat is so big and nice, you won't regret it....
Do they have any smaller and does anyone know how difficult this is to isntall after the fact the boat is built?
How much is that generator and how long would it take to install it?

sigepmock
05-11-2006, 01:31 PM
OK, so I want to put a Honda EU2000 or 1000 on my boat to power the A/C when I want to run it. This is only be when I dont have my daughter with us, but at the same time, I want A/C so I can bring her without any heat issues. I want to take the generator out for boating October through the end of April.
Anyways, I will only have the generator in she is there or it is way too hot, like May through August. Do I strap it to the swim platform when anchored or beached or do I do a semi install in the engine compartment and make an exhaust line. I dont want to do a fuel line. It will run up to 8 hours, which I dont see me running it that long parked in 1 spot. I figure at most, 6 hours on the water a day at Havasu is the most I would use it. The unit runs 8 hours on a single fill up of fuel.
You know where the conversation ended for me......to many legal issues to be dealt with to make it worth it for me. If I were you I'd look into a pre-approved Coast Guard listed generator similar to one run on the bigger off-shore boats if they make a small enough one. I've seen a few small generators catch fire in glamis when the wind blew a piece of paper or something up against them....and when they go they go big!! I would be looking to the offshore cruisers for ideas.....they've done all the homework for you already.
just my $.02,
Chris

Magic34
05-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Do they have any smaller and does anyone know how difficult this is to isntall after the fact the boat is built?
How much is that generator and how long would it take to install it?
Just found some prices... Damn!!!!!!
For that much, I'll just keep it in the garage at this point and take the kid to Chuckee Cheese for $30 and watch her have a good time.
I appreciate the info though, if I was building the boat, it would be the way I went, but now that the install would probably be a bitch and the $5k alone for the generator, this would turn into a $10k project.

me4drvr
05-11-2006, 01:41 PM
I was charged 6k for the deal, but that's on top of the entire boat price...

Phat Matt
05-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Keith, I just got back to the office and replied to your PM.
Good luck. :)

Magic34
05-11-2006, 01:44 PM
You know where the conversation ended for me......to many legal issues to be dealt with to make it worth it for me. If I were you I'd look into a pre-approved Coast Guard listed generator similar to one run on the bigger off-shore boats if they make a small enough one. I've seen a few small generators catch fire in glamis when the wind blew a piece of paper or something up against them....and when they go they go big!! I would be looking to the offshore cruisers for ideas.....they've done all the homework for you already.
just my $.02,
Chris
That is why you put it on the platform. It catches fire, kick that shit in the lake. :crossx:

Jordy
05-11-2006, 01:45 PM
For that much, I'll just keep it in the garage at this point and take the kid to Chuckee Cheese for $30 and watch her have a good time.
How is that any different than what you've been doing since you got the boat though??? :D :D :D
Sorry, that curveball was just hanging out there so I had to hit it. :D :D :D

Magic34
05-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Keith, I just got back to the office and replied to your PM.
Good luck. :)
HEY, you could kick me some info too!!!! :cool:

Magic34
05-11-2006, 01:49 PM
How is that any different than what you've been doing since you got the boat though??? :D :D :D
Sorry, that curveball was just hanging out there so I had to hit it. :D :D :D
This is one of the very few times that I do not have a comeback. Very true... and sad. :cry: Oh well, as long as she has fun!

LAVEYSABRE575
05-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Froggy, seems like your a JACK of all trades on the boards, i'ts nonsense to have a constructive thread on the boards when your here. Why not just ask you with all the units you've sold and built your'e just a wealth of boat knowledge.....Derek

LAVEYSABRE575
05-11-2006, 02:01 PM
the xantrex chargers don't stand up to vibration or heat tried 2 of them when the boat was brand new. I know mbrown was useing them also the same outcome as mine. Who knows with your pull (frog) they might build a special one just for you...

Magic34
05-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Wait, before this thread goes out of control, how about this....
I have 2 scoops on my engice cover. If I install 2 big blowers on my boat in the compartment, and just leave the genny down in there with lines or anything, would the blowers simply pull enough air to circulate the air, hot air out, cool air in and push the fumes out the back of the boat where my blower vents exit? I'm talking about a good push out so it breaks up the gases.

Jordy
05-11-2006, 02:08 PM
I have 2 scoops on my engice cover. If I install 2 big blowers on my boat in the compartment, and just leave the genny down in there with lines or anything, would the blowers simply pull enough air to circulate the air, hot air out, cool air in and push the fumes out the back of the boat where my blower vents exit? I'm talking about a good push out so it breaks up the gases.
C'mon now, I've got new drill that I've just been dying to try out. Drilling holes in a Magic would be a good test I think. :D :D :D
Jordy <--- always trying to help.

Magic34
05-11-2006, 02:15 PM
C'mon now, I've got new drill that I've just been dying to try out. Drilling holes in a Magic would be a good test I think. :D :D :D
Jordy <--- always trying to help.
Hell, you are the one with the "X" all over your boat. That is a perfect cross point for practice!!! Arrrrr, over here and dig me up some treasure! :crossx:
Damn, now I just ruined this thread for valuable info. :cry:

Magic34
05-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Hell, you are the one with the "X" all over your boat. That is a perfect cross point for practice!!! Arrrrr, over here and dig me up some treasure! :crossx:
Damn, now I just ruined this thread for valuable info. :cry:
I know, I know.... Here comes the picture with drunk chicks all over eachother standing on the X.
Game over, I lose.
Only picture I have is of my daughter watching Dora on the TV in the cabin. Good for me, uncool for forum talk especially when trying to make a tough guy point.

Jordy
05-11-2006, 02:24 PM
I know, I know.... Here comes the picture with drunk chicks all over eachother standing on the X.
Game over, I lose.
Only picture I have is of my daughter watching Dora on the TV in the cabin. Good for me, uncool for forum talk especially when trying to make a tough guy point.
That's funny right there. I've got better pics but don't really want a vacation from this place as I heard rumors that I keep it lively around here. :D
Hard to be a tough guy when a little girl is invovled though, so we'll let ya slide. ;)

Froggystyle
05-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Froggy, seems like your a JACK of all trades on the boards, i'ts nonsense to have a constructive thread on the boards when your here. Why not just ask you with all the units you've sold and built your'e just a wealth of boat knowledge.....Derek
Sounds a little sarcastic.
Everyone should just ask you how Lavey would install yours to be up to Coast Guard standards and insurance legal.
Wait... they don't offer that. Oh well. I guess you are right. I should ignore the fact that my clients may want the option, would like it to be delivered from the factory and finance it in with the boat.
In case you haven't noticed, I am also replying to a thread by another boat builder... my indirect competition in fact and giving him a legal, safe and effective method to accomplish the task. Keith also knows that I have offered to sell him some of our developed parts in the past so he could satisfy one of his clients needs for the part.
How many boats have you built and sold?
How about you just enjoy the thread. Keep in mind, that you were the one who posted...
Thats exactly why I dont run one! I seriously dought they show up on a build sheet........
This tells me that you would be interested in them if they "showed up on a build sheet" but your builder didn't offer it. My clients builder does.
Get down with your bad self... :rolleyes:

Froggystyle
05-11-2006, 02:44 PM
the xantrex chargers don't stand up to vibration or heat tried 2 of them when the boat was brand new. I know mbrown was useing them also the same outcome as mine. Who knows with your pull (frog) they might build a special one just for you...
That is good advice. Thanks.
We are considering the Xantrex 3 bank charger and another I can't remember the name of.

Phat Matt
05-11-2006, 02:47 PM
HEY, you could kick me some info too!!!! :cool:
How about a pic? :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524DSC01116.JPG

LAVEYSABRE575
05-11-2006, 03:02 PM
First off I put the actual generator in myself, it's my responsibility. I don't build boats and if I did I can assure you that I would not be in these threads sounding so condensending toward other boat builders and sounding as if my boat is the next best thing since sliced bread. However Mr. Frog instead of focusing on other boat builders build sheets and threads, maybe you should of concentrated on keeping your boat afloat during the trials at Parker. Did you get all the water out of the interior of your boat.

Phat Matt
05-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Anyone? :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524672Popcorn01.jpg

MR HARLEY
05-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Anyone? :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524672Popcorn01.jpg
How did you get that pick of my CHICK out of my VAULT of Photos :crossx:

Phat Matt
05-11-2006, 04:05 PM
How did you get that pick of my CHICK out of my VAULT of Photos :crossx:
I am a master hacker. :crossx:

CornWater
05-11-2006, 04:09 PM
I am a master hacker. :crossx:
With photos like that are you sure its not wacker????
:)

Havasu Hangin'
05-11-2006, 04:14 PM
co2 is heavy, and would creep into the floor. co2 in the cabin is not a good thing.
Something about the word "death" that would make me vent the exhaust overboard...but that's just me.

Cole Trickle
05-11-2006, 04:16 PM
I am a Masturbator. :crossx:
I don't blame ya she is pretty hot!! :crossx:

phebus
05-11-2006, 04:19 PM
co2 is heavy, and would creep into the floor. co2 in the cabin is not a good thing.
Something about the word "death" that would make me vent the exhaust overboard...but that's just me.
You make it sound so serious :)

CornWater
05-11-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm assuming you mean CO??

Havasu Hangin'
05-11-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm assuming you mean CO??
I may have flunked Chemistry, but I thought you needed a "2" for Carbon Dioxide?
My bad, Mr. Wizard.
:notam:

CornWater
05-11-2006, 04:29 PM
I may have flunked Chemistry, but I thought you needed a "2" for Carbon Dioxide?
My bad, Mr. Wizard.
Since when is Carbon Dioxide deadly?

Magic34
05-11-2006, 04:29 PM
This is what I was looking for though. Thanks. Not even worth the risk at all. But, aren't the blower fans down low and that would suck it out? Venting out the back is the best, just trying to keep holes to a minimum, but I guess this isn't the spot to do that.

Magic34
05-11-2006, 04:31 PM
How about a pic? :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524DSC01116.JPG
Does the generator run OK mounted sideways? How did you secure it to the wall?
:D Thank you! Seriously though, is it secured to the floor or just placed down and it barely moves?

Havasu Hangin'
05-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Since when is Carbon Dioxide deadly?
Since it doesn't have any oxygen?
OK...Carbon Monoxide. Don't make me ban you for being right, though.
This is what I was looking for though. Thanks. Not even worth the risk at all. But, aren't the blower fans down low and that would suck it out? Venting out the back is the best, just trying to keep holes to a minimum, but I guess this isn't the spot to do that.
The guys on OSO have debated this before. Basically, if the stuff pools anywhere (even a little)...it will be over quickly. Not good.

hot_diggity_dog
05-11-2006, 04:36 PM
I've seen it done two ways:
1. stainless hardline to a thru-hull fitting the same as you would use for a bilge pump line (PhatMat)
2. flex rubber hose to the same type thru-hull fitting (Boatfloating)
Phatt Matt= Baller
BoatFloating=Practical
HDD

CornWater
05-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Since it doesn't have any oxygen?
OK...Carbon Monoxide. Don't make me ban you for being right, though.
Charley... lil' help..
:D :D

hot_diggity_dog
05-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Or... none of the above!
And that is just the one in the motor compartment.
Tell them about the one down below next to the pool table!
HDD :cool:

ChumpChange
05-11-2006, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=Havasu Hangin']co2 is heavy, and would creep into the floor./QUOTE]
So as long as you have either a Carbon Monoxide sensor or a midget in your boat, you'll know when to get out.

Phat Matt
05-11-2006, 05:06 PM
With photos like that are you sure its not wacker????
Wacker? No. Bater? Yeah. :D

Phat Matt
05-11-2006, 05:08 PM
My bad, Mr. Wizard.
You must drink flat beer and coke if CO2 scares you. :rollside:

Phat Matt
05-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Does the generator run OK mounted sideways? How did you secure it to the wall?
:D Thank you! Seriously though, is it secured to the floor or just placed down and it barely moves?
That is a shot looking down on it to show the exhaust. It is mounted flat secured to the floor with a strap. I had little billet footies made for it so it won't move around.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1524DSC01128.JPG

BoatFloating
05-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Dude spend less time on the Genny crap and more time with twin engine driving lessons. :crossx:

Phat Matt
05-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Phatt Matt= Baller
BoatFloating=Practical
HDD
If I knew that's all it took to be a baller I would have just bought the satinless exhaust and saved some coin. :D

Phat Matt
05-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Dude time on the Genny crap and more time with twin engine driving lessons. :crossx:
So tell me the story about falling off the dock in FL. lol :D

BoatFloating
05-11-2006, 05:16 PM
So tell me the story about falling off the dock in FL. lol :D
You mean being pushed....... :skull:

Phat Matt
05-11-2006, 05:19 PM
You mean being pushed....... :skull:
Either way, it's still funny. :D

BoatFloating
05-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Either way, it's still funny. :D
Not as funny as Greg's Flipper driving skills....

brianthomas
05-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Wow, on just how many levels is it wrong to put that thing in an engine compartment! Yes, CO will most likely leak into the cabin. The fuel lid is vented meaning you WILL have gas fumes in the bilge. Most importantly the gen is NOT ignition protected. The A/C generator has exposed brushes and windings that have an exposed arc whenever it is running. Same principle as why an automotive starter or alternator will not be safe on your boat engine. Not to mention what the Coasties would do if they found it. It would certainly make the papers.
If you do it, just don't have any children or unsuspecting adults on board.
Oh yea, your insurance company would schiat little green apples if they found out about it.

Magic34
05-11-2006, 06:32 PM
OK. I got it. Not doing a hard install. I'll get a longer cord and put the damn thing on the beach, or on the boat next to me who I am tied up to. Problem solved. Just need a red extension cord!

GMFL
05-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Didn't read the whole thread but if not already stated., I ran mine with some steel braided hose (#10 I think) to a through hull fitting same as the bilge, looks good and no leaks. I don't have a picture but I got the idea from the boards. I think there was a picture somewere in the radio forum.
The one drawback is the steel braided lines are for liquid heat and not exhaust heat so they will dry out and crack so you will need to replace them eventually.

Froggystyle
05-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Wow, on just how many levels is it wrong to put that thing in an engine compartment! Yes, CO will most likely leak into the cabin. The fuel lid is vented meaning you WILL have gas fumes in the bilge. Most importantly the gen is NOT ignition protected. The A/C generator has exposed brushes and windings that have an exposed arc whenever it is running. Same principle as why an automotive starter or alternator will not be safe on your boat engine. Not to mention what the Coasties would do if they found it. It would certainly make the papers.
Oh yea, your insurance company would schiat little green apples if they found out about it.
Which is why you need to vent the gas cap, enclose and vent the whole assembly with the fan etc...
It is by no means impossible to get certified with it on board. It is more effort than some are willing to put towards the problem however.

Froggystyle
05-11-2006, 06:53 PM
First off I put the actual generator in myself, it's my responsibility. I don't build boats and if I did I can assure you that I would not be in these threads sounding so condensending toward other boat builders and sounding as if my boat is the next best thing since sliced bread.
FYI... it is quite a bit better than sliced bread. Sliced bread is old school...
However Mr. Frog instead of focusing on other boat builders build sheets and threads, maybe you should of concentrated on keeping your boat afloat during the trials at Parker. Did you get all the water out of the interior of your boat.
Never was in danger of sinking. Never got off the trailer in fact. We knew we had a potential leak in the transom adapter and were correct.
The important thing is that we tried. It was an important test, and the bunch at Powerboat were impressed that we had gone to the lengths we had to get it there at all. Knowing that the drive parts were still on a mill on Tuesday, and we had to be there at 6:00 Thursday morning... We got a partial evaluation and a walk-through and missed the driving test. Judging by the response that we had gotten however, it was clear that we had brought the heat.
Try again.

havasurat27
05-11-2006, 07:15 PM
A good friend of mine Tim Potter is going to put a small Honda E2000 generator in his Conquest engine compartment because he has a monster
stereo system and I'm wondering what everyone is doing with regards to
exhaust? Are they being plumbed in? with SS pipe? or are they merely
letting the vents exhaust it or are they opening the hatch or running the
blower? He even wondered about installing a second blower and running
2 of them. Anyone know what the right answer is here? Need to know
5 minutes ago~!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400
Hey Keith does Tim Potter post here? I bought his sand car from him and lost his info but still had a few questions for him. I did say that we would hook up at the river over the season but have yet to see him throught the channel. Did he ever name the boat? Thanks!

CornWater
05-11-2006, 07:30 PM
You say tomato, I say tomaato....

Phat Matt
05-11-2006, 07:56 PM
DAMN! You guys are scaring me now...seriously, maybe I should just go back to my 5 Oddesey battery setup with my Dual Pro Charging system for when I am at the docks over night
You are fine. There are lots of boat with the same genny set up.

LAVEYSABRE575
05-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Matt thats a really clean setup you have there, looks identical to my setup. What charger did you install?....Derek

WET HULL
05-11-2006, 08:21 PM
All of this stuff is "What Ifs" when mine is unhooked from the exhust pipe you can't really smell any fumes when the hatched is cracked a few inches. All the brushes and sparkable components are incased by the outer cover. The fuel vent cap is so tiny that almost no gas fumes can be detected. And if the coast guard comes by turn it off and throw a wet towel over it and problem solved. What they can't see wont hurt you. In my opinion it is very safe to have in the boat. All these crazy technical inovations are still not going to help with your insurance because Honda clearly states do not use this in a inclosed area. Its a catch twenty two. If the boat catches on fire throw the geny overboard, it will sink. :crossx: Its not what I would want to do since I care about the enviroment, but I will make up for it another way. Good luck and do what you think is in your best interest.

Magic34
05-11-2006, 08:25 PM
All of this stuff is "What Ifs" when mine is unhooked from the exhust pipe you can't really smell any fumes when the hatched is cracked a few inches. All the brushes and sparkable components are incased by the outer cover. The fuel vent cap is so tiny that almost no gas fumes can be detected. And if the coast guard comes by turn it off and throw a wet towel over it and problem solved. What they can't see wont hurt you. In my opinion it is very safe to have in the boat. All these crazy technical inovations are still not going to help with your insurance because Honda clearly states do not use this in a inclosed area. Its a catch twenty two. If the boat catches on fire throw the geny overboard, it will sink. :crossx: Its not what I would want to do since I care about the enviroment, but I will make up for it another way. Good luck and do what you think is in your best interest.
Tie a rope to it and if you must throw it over, pull it back up from the 20' of rope and the environment and you are saved.
You are welcome and consider it on the house this time. :crossx:

Magic34
05-11-2006, 08:27 PM
You are fine. There are lots of boat with the same genny set up.
Can I just follow you around and plug in? Also saves me $1000. :idea:

Magic34
05-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Anyone have a hook up on these generators?

Phat Matt
05-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Matt thats a really clean setup you have there, looks identical to my setup. What charger did you install?....Derek
I am using the APS 75 from Cascade Audio with the Iota smart charger.

WET HULL
05-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Had' nt thought of that. It might just work if I keep a rope back there that I can get untied without tangling no matter how good I ravel it up. That is my biggest issue in boating :cry: . Dry out the geny and maybe it might even still work.

ultra27jay
05-11-2006, 08:34 PM
i just ran the same genne setup and used a hi temp heater hose, and ran it out the side with a extra bildge pump fitting and it works great....is just a bitch carrying around 2 extra gallons of gas. :boxed:

Phat Matt
05-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Matt, did you ever think of having a rubber hose that could be extended out and hang down into the water? Something small for the exhaust.
Also, did you put any extra fans in under the hatch?
No, but we are going to change it to exit out the back under the swim step.
No extra fans. Sometimes I will turn on the blowers if the hatch is closed but the hatch is usually open because of the speakers I have mounted there.

ultra27jay
05-11-2006, 08:37 PM
hey matt are u going up this weekend..or are u finally doing the chores :rollside:

WET HULL
05-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Magic 34 you bring the blender and we might be able to work something out.

Phat Matt
05-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Wasn't it going out the side? Why are you changing the location? My swim step is going to be at the water line so I won't be able to run it out there.
Yeah it is going out the side right now. They just did one out the back and I like it. My swim step is bolt on and it will go right under that. That way when I tie up to other boats I don't have to worry about the exhaust spray on their boat.

Magic34
05-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Magic 34 you bring the blender and we might be able to work something out.
Microwave, TV/DVD, A/C.... but no blender, that stuff stains! :p

98 Vector 21
05-11-2006, 09:58 PM
When my battery goes dead from too much radio play I just have the wife push start me? (now that there is funny)....

BajaMike
05-11-2006, 10:12 PM
I didn't read the whole thread but is anyone worried about CO poisoning?:confused:
There have been several people who died at Lake Powell who were on houseboats with generators running, either from swimming behind the boats or from sleeping down stairs at night (with the generator running).
It's not an issue if the boat is moving and lots of air flowing, but I'm wondering about generators running while parked in the channel or anchored in gasoline alley.... :idea:
????:confused:

me4drvr
05-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Hey Magic, I can sell you mine for $500, PM me if you're interested and I can get some photos. The unit runs like new and has some minor cosmetic scratches.
Matt, do you keep the smart charge always plugged in?? I have the Cascade 90 amp model and the guy up in Washington (or wherever their made) said to unplug while under heavy load and only use while charging without any stress loads. Have you had any issues keeping it plugged??
Scott

phebus
05-12-2006, 05:54 AM
The last place I would want my generator exhaust to exit, would be out the transom under the swim step. CO will pool there, and could be a serious problem for anyone in the water at the back of the boat. The best location would be where there is a circulation of fresh air.

Partycattin
05-12-2006, 07:00 AM
Checked my State Farm policy. Fire is covered, doesn't really matter how it started. The only exclusion that could come into play would be if you were racing or partcipating in an organized race event. Not sure a poker run would qualify as a racing event.

phebus
05-12-2006, 07:03 AM
Checked my State Farm policy. Fire is covered, doesn't really matter how it started. The only exclusion that could come into play would be if you were racing or partcipating in an organized race event. Not sure a poker run would qualify as a racing event.
It might not be addressed uder the fire clause, but I guarntee you, if an insurance company can transfer liability to you, they will.

Jordy
05-12-2006, 07:21 AM
All of this stuff is "What Ifs" when mine is unhooked from the exhust pipe you can't really smell any fumes when the hatched is cracked a few inches.
First lesson of the day, Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas so you wouldn't be able to smell it. That's what makes it so dangerous. Unless you were running 2 stroke oil or race gas, you wouldn't be able to smell anytyhing. ;)
If the boat catches on fire throw the geny overboard, it will sink. :crossx: Its not what I would want to do since I care about the enviroment, but I will make up for it another way.
If the boat catches fire and is burning to the waterline, don't you think that the environment is going to suffer more from all the plastic and fiberglass, as well as the other boat components that are burning and sending that big plume of nasty black smoke into the atmoshpere as well as whatever is ending up in the water as opposed to kicking your generator into the water. Think about it. :idea: :D

MONEYFURNOTHIN
05-12-2006, 07:29 AM
If your that concerned just do like me. Pull your boat up next to phatt matt's or one of the other big ballers with a huge stereo. You wont even need to bother with batteries/generaters or even a stereo for that matter! They also usually have a well stocked ice chest!

ChumpChange
05-12-2006, 07:40 AM
If your that concerned just do like me. Pull your boat up next to phatt matt's or one of the other big ballers with a huge stereo. You wont even need to bother with batteries/generaters or even a stereo for that matter! They also usually have a well stocked ice chest!
Bingo!!! When I bought my boat, I didn't touch the stereo but upgraded the engine and drive instead. I barely even use the radio.

phebus
05-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Bingo!!! When I bought my boat, I didn't touch the stereo but upgraded the engine and drive instead. I barely even use the radio.
Your the exception, most people run their stereo much more than their motor!! :)
Good on you mate!! :)

CornWater
05-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Also, I don't believe CO is heavy, actually the opposite. I know that in RV's the propane alarm is placed close to the ground (because it is heavier than air), and the CO alarm is placed in the upper half of the wall..

phebus
05-12-2006, 08:03 AM
It is lighter than air, but I found this interesting fact on it's properties:
It is less dense than air under ordinary conditions, however it accumulates on the ground, meaning that if poisoning causes loss of consciousness the amount of carbon monoxide inhaled increases and so fatality is radically increased.
Mix CO, with a drunk hanging around the back of a boat where most CO exits, and then add the exhaust of the generator, and your just asking for trouble.

Phat Matt
05-12-2006, 08:04 AM
hey matt are u going up this weekend..or are u finally doing the chores :rollside:
I will be there this weekend and take the next one off. :)

Phat Matt
05-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Hey Magic, I can sell you mine for $500, PM me if you're interested and I can get some photos. The unit runs like new and has some minor cosmetic scratches.
Matt, do you keep the smart charge always plugged in?? I have the Cascade 90 amp model and the guy up in Washington (or wherever their made) said to unplug while under heavy load and only use while charging without any stress loads. Have you had any issues keeping it plugged??
Scott
No. What he said is correct. When you are in storage and have it plugged in it work as a float charger to keep you battery fresh.

Phat Matt
05-12-2006, 08:11 AM
The last place I would want my generator exhaust to exit, would be out the transom under the swim step. CO will pool there, and could be a serious problem for anyone in the water at the back of the boat. The best location would be where there is a circulation of fresh air.
My swim step isn't enclosed and it's only about 2 feet wide. It's a piece of billet screwed on the back. Plenty of circulation.

Phat Matt
05-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Music and beer...I usually have both. :)

MR HARLEY
05-12-2006, 08:14 AM
Phatt matt your boat, stereo, and generator kick ass!! Been a witness many times on his Luxury Cat :cool:

2Driver
05-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Exactly correct. Someone could drop out of sight real quick if they are hanging around the transom. It's why Powell house boats now run the exhaust to the top level of the house boats. I'm not saying run a 18 wheeler chrome stack but under the steps is a big mistake.
After seeing that story on TV about the father at Powell who went looking for his 3 kids that were playing behind the houseboat and finding them at the bottom of 20' of water - Fuk. New respect for o2

Magic34
05-12-2006, 08:26 AM
It may look ghetto, but I am going to put mine on the swim platform out in the open when tied up or beached. It is the only thing make makes somewhat sense as of now.
When at the local lake here, some good friends have cruisers, so when I tie up to them, I can plug into theirs. I will probably nly use the generator a fwe times a month anyways.
I'm just going to take the money for the install and put it into custom painting the genny. :crossx:

BoatFloating
05-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Man I can't beleive this thread turned into 6 pages..... All these people with the sky is falling mentality. I'm on my 2nd boat with the Genny system over 4 years and no Kaboom and no CO sickness. Like anything you do things right and you won't have any problems. You stick your mouth over exhaust you might die....... :) I've seen in those years boats catch fire, blow up and fall apart but not one had a genny system as the cause. Bottom shiat happens... Enjoy the water... :cool:

PlaneNutz
05-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Just another quick question about insurance claims. How can they place liability on adding a generator, but not for adding stereo equipment? Stereo stuff isn't USCG approved, but I've never heard of an insurance company denying a claim because someone had to many amplifiers. Where do they draw the line? I've seen beer bongs and stripper poles attached to boats too. I see no crime in those either!

phebus
05-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Man I can't beleive this thread turned into 6 pages..... All these people with the sky is falling mentality. I'm on my 2nd boat with the Genny system over 4 years and no Kaboom and no CO sickness. Like anything you do things right and you won't have any problems. You stick your mouth over exhaust you might die....... :) I've seen in those years boats catch fire, blow up and fall apart but not one had a genny system as the cause. Bottom shiat happens... Enjoy the water... :cool:
Face the facts man!! You've got a bomb, spewing toxic fumes all over, sitting right in your bilge, and you don't realize it!! It's time for the government to step in and tell you what's right. :rollside:

Magic34
05-12-2006, 09:31 AM
If I route the exhaust to where the blower vents exit and operate the blower at the same time will it help push it further... will that help at all?
I have this fiberglass battery compartment in the bilge. It is going to make it a little weird putting this down there, but any suggestions?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4368100_1585.JPG

MONEYFURNOTHIN
05-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Music and beer...I usually have both. :)
I have also noticed if you park next to one of these bad ass boats, and your boat comes loose they will be the first ones to the water to put it back on the beach... sure is nice of them especially when they even hop over a wall at the turtle to get your boat!

25dic
05-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Hey Money, you do not have to worry about your boat getting loose, everyone is always sitting on it.

Jordy
05-12-2006, 11:00 AM
sure is nice of them especially when they even hop over a wall at the turtle to get your boat!
That's funny right there. It's even better when the do it and don't spill any drink in the process. ;) :D

brianthomas
05-12-2006, 11:26 AM
You know,,,, schiat does happen,,,,, but hopefully by accident. Why press your luck with something that has such a high probability of trouble? Especially when you already KNOW of the potential problems. Also, there are likely many unsuspecting people around you that do not know the facts and possible implications.
Westerbeke makes a 3.5 KW gen that is ignition protected, water cooled, fuel injected and advertised as 99% less CO than conventional marine rated generators mostly due to the injection and the catalytic converter in the exhaust.
You guys are industrious and could likely afford the $3,500 for the gen and learn to install it yourself. Once you learn all the install tricks you can help each other to do it right and have fun doing it. Then enjoy the peace of mind that it is done right, everyone is safe, and you did it yourself!
It is illegal to mount the portable Honda in the bilge and you all know of the hazards. It is inviting trouble to what is supposed to be an enjoyable sport.

boater012
05-12-2006, 11:53 AM
How many of you guys have ever seen a boat explosion???? I grew up in long beach and terminal island marinas and I've seen some crazy stuff happen over the years. When I was about 14 or so a guy in the marina 3 boats down from mine had a fuel tank go bad and he decided it was a good idea to just pump it into 5 gallon cans with a portable bilge pump.
So he climbs in there and fires up the pump as soon as the pump caught prime the boat blew up with him inside. The explosion was so intense that the 3 windows on the starboard side of my boat blew in as it were. The two boats between us both caught fire and were heavily damaged. When I heard the explosion I went topside to find out what happened.
When I got up top I noticed all kinds of floating debris and the guy floating in the water about 20 feet behind his boat. I jumped into the water and swam for him. When I reached him he was face down in the water, I grabbed onto him and towed him a few slips down to an empty slip. By that time half the marina was out there and they helped me get him on the dock. When we pulled him up onto the dock his skin peeled off like KFC. It was extremely gross. I stood aside to let the marina manager give the man CPR.
When he was concious again he was screaming in agony. The paramedics showed up and took him to the hospital. My dad and he were good friends and I'd been fishing with them several times. My father went to the hospital the next day and the nurses told him that the man had burns over 90% of his body and likely wouldn't survive. He died from an infection 6 weeks later. Sad really he was in his late forties and had 3 kids.
I am not saying that you will blow up your boat by putting a generator in the bilge, but the possibility is there. Why take the extra risk????? I personally wouldn't put anyone I even remotely cared for in that position. There is a reason that honda states clearly DO NOT RUN IN ENCLOSED SPACES. The carburetor is NOT designed to return the fuel back to the intake if anything goes wrong (has any one ever had a carb flood?). They have no form of spark arrestor on the intake whatsoever!
I think the guy from trident has the right idea building a sealed box for it if you HAVE to have a portable. But even at that if you have a $170,000 boat why not spend the extra 4k to make it right and install a marine water cooled, sealed from spark genset???? I see this OHHHH it'll be fine mentality all the time with boats and I dont understand it!!
The USCG will have a field day with any one of you they pull over and find that chit in your engine room. I've heard of and seen more boat explosions than I care to remember! I think if some of you who are ok with this had watched that guys skin peel off you'd feel differently about putting your family on those boats. The guy that says it's not worth the risk and he'll just put it on the swimstep when he needs is a smart man!
Sorry for the long rant!!! i'm tired of people looking at safety as a second or third or even 35th thought above speed and convenience!!! my.02 from someone who has owned boats since I was a kid and grew up around them every day!

boater012
05-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Just another quick question about insurance claims. How can they place liability on adding a generator, but not for adding stereo equipment? Stereo stuff isn't USCG approved, but I've never heard of an insurance company denying a claim because someone had to many amplifiers. Where do they draw the line? I've seen beer bongs and stripper poles attached to boats too. I see no crime in those either!
Read the USCG rules It is illegal to install stereo equipment (stated as equipment that isn't ignition protected) in the engine room!! Even though people do it all the time. Does that make it safe???? NO it doesn't. Does any one know the number one cause of car fires????? (according to state farm in 2002) Thats right aftermarket stereo equiment that was installed incorrectly and without fuses!!!! Im all for big stereos my truck has a kickass system in it and so do my boats! But they all have fuses and I wouldn't install my amps on top of gas tank would you??????????? Safety first guys

BADAXE
05-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Only Kilrtoy is seeing that increase in wattage. :)

Magic34
05-12-2006, 12:28 PM
How many of you guys have ever seen a boat explosion???? I grew up in long beach and terminal island marinas and I've seen some crazy stuff happen over the years. When I was about 14 or so a guy in the marina 3 boats down from mine had a fuel tank go bad and he decided it was a good idea to just pump it into 5 gallon cans with a portable bilge pump.
So he climbs in there and fires up the pump as soon as the pump caught prime the boat blew up with him inside. The explosion was so intense that the 3 windows on the starboard side of my boat blew in as it were. The two boats between us both caught fire and were heavily damaged. When I heard the explosion I went topside to find out what happened.
When I got up top I noticed all kinds of floating debris and the guy floating in the water about 20 feet behind his boat. I jumped into the water and swam for him. When I reached him he was face down in the water, I grabbed onto him and towed him a few slips down to an empty slip. By that time half the marina was out there and they helped me get him on the dock. When we pulled him up onto the dock his skin peeled off like KFC. It was extremely gross. I stood aside to let the marina manager give the man CPR.
When he was concious again he was screaming in agony. The paramedics showed up and took him to the hospital. My dad and he were good friends and I'd been fishing with them several times. My father went to the hospital the next day and the nurses told him that the man had burns over 90% of his body and likely wouldn't survive. He died from an infection 6 weeks later. Sad really he was in his late forties and had 3 kids.
I am not saying that you will blow up your boat by putting a generator in the bilge, but the possibility is there. Why take the extra risk????? I personally wouldn't put anyone I even remotely cared for in that position. There is a reason that honda states clearly DO NOT RUN IN ENCLOSED SPACES. The carburetor is NOT designed to return the fuel back to the intake if anything goes wrong (has any one ever had a carb flood?). They have no form of spark arrestor on the intake whatsoever!
I think the guy from trident has the right idea building a sealed box for it if you HAVE to have a portable. But even at that if you have a $170,000 boat why not spend the extra 4k to make it right and install a marine water cooled, sealed from spark genset???? I see this OHHHH it'll be fine mentality all the time with boats and I dont understand it!!
The USCG will have a field day with any one of you they pull over and find that chit in your engine room. I've heard of and seen more boat explosions than I care to remember! I think if some of you who are ok with this had watched that guys skin peel off you'd feel differently about putting your family on those boats. The guy that says it's not worth the risk and he'll just put it on the swimstep when he needs is a smart man!
Sorry for the long rant!!! i'm tired of people looking at safety as a second or third or even 35th thought above speed and convenience!!! my.02 from someone who has owned boats since I was a kid and grew up around them every day!
Do you see a problem with storing it in the bilge, but not operating it in there?

Phat Matt
05-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Wow. I better get some release forms made up before anyone enjoys music or gets a free beer from my boat to cover my ass. :rolleyes:

PlaneNutz
05-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Wow. I better get some release forms made up before anyone enjoys music or gets a free beer from my boat to cover my ass. :rolleyes:
Matt,
I'll sign whatever you want if this is the result!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1558MRSDRMCAT_PhatMatt_MrsPlaneNutz.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1558River_Trip_Apr_29_313.jpg

me4drvr
05-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Are you insured by survival..... no....
I can't drink that beer then....
God I lov those commercials, especially the hot chick in the ferarri
http://www.survivalinsurance.com/commercials/spot9.html

Phat Matt
05-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Matt,
I'll sign whatever you want if this is the result!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1558MRSDRMCAT_PhatMatt_MrsPlaneNutz.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1558River_Trip_Apr_29_313.jpg
I am guess most people would. :D
Consider this post your release. Welcome abord. :D

PlaneNutz
05-12-2006, 01:16 PM
I am guess most people would. :D
Consider this post your release. Welcome abord. :D
I'll take that beer now, Thank you. And consider the favor returned if you are ever by my boat and thirsty!

me4drvr
05-12-2006, 01:24 PM
my bad...
http://www.survivalinsurance.com/commercials/spot13.html

boater012
05-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Do you see a problem with storing it in the bilge, but not operating it in there?
Can you seal the gas tank vent???? if not run the blower when the engines are idling and you should be fine but you wont ever catch me firing one up down there. I've got some old photos of what was left of the guys boat somewhere ill bring them I had to push mine out into the channel or id have lost mine too. 5boats and 4 fingers were burned to a crisp

boater012
05-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Lets see here I can have free beer and free music and enjoy it on top of a potential bomb!!!!! Nope no thanks dude You keep your beer and your music. And make sure I can tell you apart from the crowd so I hang out on the oposite side of the sandbar with My family and friends!!!!! No offense intended dude. Justify however you need to man!

PlaneNutz
05-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Lets see here I can have free beer and free music and enjoy it on top of a potential bomb!!!!! Nope no thanks dude You keep your beer and your music. And make sure I can tell you apart from the crowd so I hang out on the oposite side of the sandbar with My family and friends!!!!! No offense intended dude. Justify however you need to man!
WOW!! Them's fighten words!

Froggystyle
05-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Can you seal the gas tank vent???? if not run the blower when the engines are idling and you should be fine but you wont ever catch me firing one up down there. I've got some old photos of what was left of the guys boat somewhere ill bring them I had to push mine out into the channel or id have lost mine too. 5boats and 4 fingers were burned to a crisp
Yes, you can. Additionally, you can replace the tank altogether if you so desire.
There is not a whole lot of mystery to the whole "make it safe" problem, it is just that people are not taking the time to do so.
It has to be vented... it has to be shielded, it has to be exhausted properly etc... It is no different than any other engine you would put back there, or alternator for that matter.
If you don't put the research, time and energy into it, you will be putting yourself into a bad safety situation. If you do it properly, as with anything you will be fine...
Wes

phebus
05-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Yes, you are storing a container of gas (generators fuel tank), that is vented to the bilge.
If I were to do it, I wouldn't store it with a full tank, and it would be a good idea to run the bilge blower while it's back there.
Better yet, I would contact Trident, and see if you could buy a cap that vents to the atmosphere.
Gasoline vapors are heavier than air, and can travel throughout your entire hull, since I'm sure it has passages for water to drain to the bilge.

boater012
05-12-2006, 06:25 PM
WOW!! Them's fighten words!
Why is it that whenever anyone comes on here with a safety concern there are certain people who decide it is a fight and try to belittle those with legitamate concerns??????? I mean honestly god created natural selection for a reason and people who take unneeded risks are apt to at some point select themselves out of the gene pool. But when those individuals put other people at risk including my family and I thats when I have to say something! Would you put a gas can under the hood of your car???? NO you wouldn't!!! But its ok because its on a boat???? Help me understand the thinking!!! I have never met the gentleman from trident someday I hope to. But he seems extremely knowledgable. Like he says If you are willing to take the time to make it right, great go for it. If not stay away from it or hire a professional to do it the right way. Someone made a comment that they had never heard of a genset causing a fire or explosion, ummm call the marine patrol in long beach and ask them how many fires last year were caused by faulty gensets or epople putting their portables in their engine room!!! Better yet call the coast guard. Not every boat explosion makes the news guys!! Imagine the things that happen in the world each day that dont make the news!!!

Froggystyle
05-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Why is it that whenever anyone comes on here with a safety concern there are certain people who decide it is a fight and try to belittle those with legitamate concerns??????? I mean honestly god created natural selection for a reason and people who take unneeded risks are apt to at some point select themselves out of the gene pool. But when those individuals put other people at risk including my family and I thats when I have to say something! Would you put a gas can under the hood of your car???? NO you wouldn't!!! But its ok because its on a boat???? Help me understand the thinking!!! I have never met the gentleman from trident someday I hope to. But he seems extremely knowledgable. Like he says If you are willing to take the time to make it right, great go for it. If not stay away from it or hire a professional to do it the right way. Someone made a comment that they had never heard of a genset causing a fire or explosion, ummm call the marine patrol in long beach and ask them how many fires last year were caused by faulty gensets or epople putting their portables in their engine room!!! Better yet call the coast guard. Not every boat explosion makes the news guys!! Imagine the things that happen in the world each day that dont make the news!!!
I have a couple of main concerns with going with a large, USCG-ready genset that prevail over my decision to marinize the Honda. First, they are very heavy. On a boat I have gone to extreme effort to get light, I am not going to add 200 pounds and more than 2K extra wattage because I want to charge some batteries. I took out two batteries for this reason (used to have 4 Trojan 6-volts, but two do the job great....) I would rather put the batteries back than add a heavy, bulky genset. They are made of iron, and are physically large as well. They run hotter as they have nearly double the capacity and don't have a particularly great exhaust system anyway.
So, the 50 pound, small dimension adequate Honda generator will get the treatment. It is worth it to me to give it a shot, get approved and have a great genset with all of the obvious risks mitigated than to have the bigger set. For me, it was go small or go home in this case.
I can certainly appreciate your objections from a safety standpoint, and share them to a large degree. I don't like a lot of the installs I have seen, and think that if the boat manufacturers aren't willing to put them in the boats themselves, you are going to end up with exactly that... unsafe installations done by consumers.
I will make the caps available at a reasonable price for those who care, and I will likely publish what we did to make them legal to save some distress on the waterways this year. Once I have the system all sorted out, I will get back to everyone with the conclusion.

OCMerrill
05-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Phat Matt's install is clean.
If I were doing this and shooting for the Coast Guard's blessing...Here is what I would do...
I would think an enclosed SEALED fireproof box the genset would sit in. Use a 12v blower system plugged into the gen's 12v outlet so that when it's on the blower is on.
Take intake air into the box from ducting outside the engine compartment directly (key word here), maybe from under the gunwales where its shade cool air, allow it into the box in large enough volume (maybe through testing with a temp gauge) and blow out through dedicated exit vents. This way the entire unit is sealed. Have an access panel to start and stop the thing that seals when closed. Enough airflow and the exhaust could POSSIBLY be included in this air mix, as the temps could be kept down with volume and the co levels and odors acceptable with again, enough air volume.
In many cases a standard genset is used in marine application on larger boats with a similar system but mfg. designed. These engine rooms are designed for them in most cases to start with.
I have six of these EU2000i units used out in the field every day in construction vehicles. They continue to amaze me in efficiency and durability. Yamaha has a new 2400 out (over kill to charge batteries) that is even rated as quiet as the Honda. A gallon+ of gas charging batteries could possibly last the weekend depending on conditions.
Plus 120v blenders baby.
Neat thing about inverter gens like this is the auto throttle. Low demand or load, just idles. We can charge 10 DeWalt batteries on 5 chargers all at once and the thing still is just above idle.
And make it "legal" is a term usually established by being found "not guilty" in a lawsuit. :rollside: So I say make it as safe as you reasonably can.

Froggystyle
05-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Phat Matt's install is clean.
If I were doing this and shooting for the Coast Guard's blessing...Here is what I would do...
I would think an enclosed SEALED fireproof box the genset would sit in. Use a 12v blower system plugged into the gen's 12v outlet so that when it's on the blower is on.
Take intake air into the box from ducting outside the engine compartment directly (key word here), maybe from under the gunwales where its shade cool air, allow it into the box in large enough volume (maybe through testing with a temp gauge) and blow out through dedicated exit vents. This way the entire unit is sealed. Have an access panel to start and stop the thing that seals when closed. Enough airflow and the exhaust could POSSIBLY be included in this air mix, as the temps could be kept down with volume and the co levels and odors acceptable with again, enough air volume.
In many cases a standard genset is used in marine application on larger boats with a similar system but mfg. designed. These engine rooms are designed for them in most cases to start with.
I have six of these EU2000i units used out in the field every day in construction vehicles. They continue to amaze me in efficiency and durability. Yamaha has a new 2400 out (over kill to charge batteries) that is even rated as quiet as the Honda. A gallon+ of gas charging batteries could possibly last the weekend depending on conditions.
Plus 120v blenders baby.
Neat thing about inverter gens like this is the auto throttle. Low demand or load, just idles. We can charge 10 DeWalt batteries on 5 chargers all at once and the thing still is just above idle.
And make it "legal" is a term usually established by being found "not guilty" in a lawsuit. :rollside: So I say make it as safe as you reasonably can.
This is almost exactly what we are shooting for. I figure with the genset providing power for the fan, you could run a hell of a fan and not effect your charge.
We are isolating the exhaust however, and making it so there is an extension to the pull cord with a billet pull on the outside of the boat. Otherwise it could be tough to get to.
Coast guard requirements are suprisingly lenient. They just want to keep everything safe and normal. This is no crazier to certify than an engine or alternator.

OCMerrill
05-13-2006, 02:30 PM
We are isolating the exhaust however, and making it so there is an extension to the pull cord with a billet pull on the outside of the boat. Otherwise it could be tough to get to.
Don't forget the on/off switch which also controls the fuel shutoff. A rod extension and a billet knob there too. The Honda EU1000 and 2000 is also real sensitive to movement. I can't tell you how many times we have flooded the things down just trying to walk it around while running.
I would imagine it would need to be off running just above no wake cruising.
Isolation from the engine I would think might be all one needs to be legal. In this manner it's like a separate entity altogether.
I think a excellent thread...I wan't a big enough boat to do this :cry: :boxed:

boater012
05-13-2006, 02:36 PM
I have a couple of main concerns with going with a large, USCG-ready genset that prevail over my decision to marinize the Honda. First, they are very heavy. On a boat I have gone to extreme effort to get light, I am not going to add 200 pounds and more than 2K extra wattage because I want to charge some batteries. I took out two batteries for this reason (used to have 4 Trojan 6-volts, but two do the job great....) I would rather put the batteries back than add a heavy, bulky genset. They are made of iron, and are physically large as well. They run hotter as they have nearly double the capacity and don't have a particularly great exhaust system anyway.
So, the 50 pound, small dimension adequate Honda generator will get the treatment. It is worth it to me to give it a shot, get approved and have a great genset with all of the obvious risks mitigated than to have the bigger set. For me, it was go small or go home in this case.
I can certainly appreciate your objections from a safety standpoint, and share them to a large degree. I don't like a lot of the installs I have seen, and think that if the boat manufacturers aren't willing to put them in the boats themselves, you are going to end up with exactly that... unsafe installations done by consumers.
I will make the caps available at a reasonable price for those who care, and I will likely publish what we did to make them legal to save some distress on the waterways this year. Once I have the system all sorted out, I will get back to everyone with the conclusion.
Like I stated earlier in this post I think you are an extremely knowledgable person. My Issues with the portable Installs is when I've seen them done no one has taken the time to do it RIGHT like you are taking the time to do. I'm not against the idea of the portable all together but when you just toss it down in the engine room and expect it to be O.K. if you just run a blower That in my opinion is UNSAFE. I'm sure there are others out there that do it and do it right.
I never meant to offend anyone or seem argumentative. I was simply stating my opinion of how the portables are USUALLY used. I beleive YOU are taking the time and getting it done right to save the weight and I commend you for that. Change doesn't come without some back and forth (I beleive you have said this before yourself). I actually look ofrward to meeting you some day you seem to be a forward thinker and thats rare in an "Old school rules" industry. My name is David Baker, nice to make your acquaintance.
Thank you for seeing where im coming from and being adult about your responses. I am not looking to fight with anyone but when someone asks a question about something that isn't going to be done safely then I have to speak up!